PDA

View Full Version : Point Of Curiosity RE: 5.45x39

MassMark
03-25-08, 10:49
This cam from a discussion on a regional board I belong to, (NES). I was wondering if anyone made an upper in 5.45x39? With cheap fodder out there, I thought it would be an interesting addition. I'm sure there's caveats, but the thought came from a thread about an upper out for the FN 5.7 round.

Failure2Stop
03-25-08, 15:37
IIRC Alexander Arms produced one. I don't know the specifics, but I do not think that they are in current production or when they stopped production.

Bill Alexander is a member here, so maybe he can give you some more info on that.

I don't know of any others, though not to imply that they do not exist.

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 15:40
IIRC Alexander Arms produced one. I don't know the specifics, but I do not think that they are in current production or when they stopped production.

Bill Alexander is a member here, so maybe he can give you some more info on that.

I don't know of any others, though not to imply that they do not exist.

I seem to recall a rumor from SHOT that they were bringing it back - the "Ghengis" I believe...

rubberneck
03-25-08, 16:03
Smith and Wesson is going to be making 5.45X39 uppers and complete rifles exclusively for Talo. They should be out in the next month or two. No word on pricing.

BarryP
03-25-08, 16:44
I seem to recall a rumor from SHOT that they were bringing it back - the "Ghengis" I believe...

Definitely just a rumor, I called them and was told they arent bringing it back out.

03-25-08, 17:13
Smith and Wesson is going to be making 5.45X39 uppers and complete rifles exclusively for Talo. They should be out in the next month or two. No word on pricing.

This interests the hell out of me.

If Grant or anyone else has any more info on these rumored 5.45 S&W ARs, I'd love to hear it...

MassMark
03-25-08, 18:26
I think it would be interesting - especially since ammo is so cheap, (for the moment).

TOrrock
03-25-08, 18:34
Just remember that all that cheap ammo is Russian, Bulgarian, or Polish CORROSIVE surplus....which will make it interesting in a direct gas design.

Paulinski
03-25-08, 18:40
Just remember that all that cheap ammo is Russian, Bulgarian, or Polish CORROSIVE surplus....which will make it interesting in a direct gas design.

Since it would be next to impossible to clean the gas tube on the AR I don't think firing corrosive ammo would be a good idea.

Buck
03-25-08, 20:26
5.45 piston upper???

BarryP
03-25-08, 22:15
Isnt the gas tube stainless, so that would help with corrosion resistance? Another idea is to pour Balistol down the gas tube and blow it out with an air compressor once in a while. It might be worth the effort to be able to practice with $100/k ammo vs $300/k ammo. Anyone that was planning on doing that better stock up with an absurd amount of ammo now since it will probably go up in price in the near future like everything else as the surplus starts getting low.

Steve
03-25-08, 22:30
i have good idea on cost.

about 600 for uppers and close to 1k for complete gun frommy local ffl guy.

Cp is making the mags.

MassMark
03-26-08, 05:10
I wonder if with corrosive ammo there's at last be a use for those stupid pipe cleaners... ;) I'm also wondering if standard AR mags could be modified to work. I have such little experience with 5.45x39 that I can't even remember what it looks like compared to a 5.56.

wahoo95
03-26-08, 07:12
I received pricing from a Dealer to be $575 for complete upper