PDA

View Full Version : please give me your input

wolverineSIERRA
04-18-13, 20:11
hi, would like to get everybodys opinion on choosing a handgun!!
it will be my first handgun but iam no stranger to shooting pistols or shooting in that matter. thinking it be a good idea to own a handgun for target shooting and home protection.
i want a fullsize handgun since i would not be carrying , something i can practice drills and maybe for emergency situations.
ive narrowed my choices down to the sig P226 in 9mm and the glock 17 gen 4. i like the feel and the look of the 226 but glocks reliability is legendary and easy to maintain and parts are plenty and i kind of prefer the consistent trigger pull but not a big deal breaker... any feedback would be great, thanks.

Crow Hunter
04-18-13, 20:19
Which one do you shoot the best? As in get the most fight stopping hits on a target the quickest.

That needs to be your primary worry for a defensive weapon.

Everything else you can work around.

El Pistolero
04-18-13, 20:22
As a veteran you may be familiar with the Beretta M9 and if you liked the double action/single action trigger then the P226 would be a good choice as it has a great DA/SA trigger. The Glock as you said will have a consistent trigger but the two guns just feel different. Reliability is legendary in both so that's not an issue. P226s are known for outstanding accuracy, not sure about the Glock as I don't have a lot of experience wth them but they are obviously accurate enough for service. My choice is the P226 but then I'm biased because I own one and like the trigger, the accuracy, and the ergonomics. I can't get over the Glock grip angle but that can be overcome with training, frame modification, or the Grip Force Adapter. But hey that's why there are choices right?

I don't think either is a bad choice so buy whatever you can find a good deal on during these times.

Nephrology
04-18-13, 20:23
Which one do you shoot the best? As in get the most fight stopping hits on a target the quickest.

That needs to be your primary worry for a defensive weapon.

Everything else you can work around.

You can probably learn to shoot either equally well.

I would go with the glocks due to price and ease of maintenance as well as the abundant aftermarket. the SIG would not be a bad choice either, however.

Crow Hunter
04-18-13, 20:27
You can probably learn to shoot either equally well.

I would go with the glocks due to price and ease of maintenance as well as the abundant aftermarket. the SIG would not be a bad choice either, however.

True.

Personally, I shoot Sigs more accurately that I do Glocks. But I can get more rounds on target faster with Glocks.

I used to own a bunch of other gun types, I always did best on drills from concealment with a Glock.

Even though I REALLY wanted to be better with the Sigs because they were "cooler" to me at the time.:D

My brother on the other hand, shoots Sigs much better and faster than Glocks.

That is why he has a bunch of my old Sigs and I have his Glock 19 now. :D

wolverineSIERRA
04-18-13, 20:32
no M9 lol i carried one for a while, too heavy and iam not a fan of external safteys and m9 in my experience needs lots of maintaince.. i i carried a glock 19 while workign with iraqi police and i hated the grip since it made my hand sweaty but i guess the new gen 4 model has a better grip.
iam leaning more towards the glock 17 but have not ruled out the sig p226.

fssmikey
04-18-13, 20:40
If you want a sig, but at a lower price point, the SP2022 is pretty nice.

I picked one up last year, and have a few hundred rounds through it with no issues. It's actually a pretty nice piece for the money.

_JD_
04-18-13, 20:44
Would have to look at the specs to be sure but a 226 is not going to be that much lighter than an M9.

Assuming you're right handed? If you like the features of the Glock, but don't like the Glock part of the equation check out the Smith & Wesson M&P series.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

El Pistolero
04-18-13, 20:44
If you want a sig, but at a lower price point, the SP2022 is pretty nice.

I picked one up last year, and have a few hundred rounds through it with no issues. It's actually a pretty nice piece for the money.

True, the SP2022 is often overlooked. I like it but the DA trigger isn't quite as smooth IMO as a P226 but it probably conceals better due to being slightly smaller. Holsters and mags won't be as easy to find as a P226, if you want aftermarket support comparable to Glock stick to comparing the P226 against the G17.

wolverineSIERRA
04-18-13, 20:48
i appreciate everyones input and all the help.. i will hit up the shop this weekend and pick one.. thanks again.

Psalms144.1
04-18-13, 21:21
The P226 is a FANTASTIC pistol, the ones I owned were all reliable and dead nuts accurate. Having said that, they're also very heavy, more mechanically complex, and their finish is not as resistant to heavy use as the Glock's.

The G17 will, based on owning, shooting and training people on both, be easier to shoot well at speed, and, if you do your part, it won't give up a whole lot of accuracy to the P226. Plus, you can buy TWO G17s, or one G17, a crap ton of mags and ammo, and put money down on a good training course for the price of the Sig...

It's really up to you, I'm sure you'll be happy with either, and both will serve you well.

Regards,

Kevin

Red falcon
04-19-13, 23:49
I've fired both. The g17 is cheaper and lighter, but I feel the Sig feels much better in my hands. The bore height is higher on the 226, but I really couldn't tell a difference in followup shots. Pick the one you want the first time, both are "legendary"...

Scratch that.. buy both ^.^

BigJoe
04-19-13, 23:59
i really suggest getting your hands on as many of the "standard" pistols as you can. XD"s, M&P, glock, sig, HK etc are all good choices but it really comes down to feel and which one points well for you. Each person's hands are different and people prefer different sight heights, i would go with the one that feels/shoots best for you. Then buy lots of ammo and practice. Do your research and read on here, don't take any one person's opinion. Good luck in your search

Big A
04-20-13, 10:35
i really suggest getting your hands on as many of the "standard" pistols as you can. XD"s, M&P, glock, sig, HK etc are all good choices but it really comes down to feel and which one points well for you. Each person's hands are different and people prefer different sight heights, i would go with the one that feels/shoots best for you. Then buy lots of ammo and practice. Do your research and read on here, don't take any one person's opinion. Good luck in your search

Best post in this thread.

WolverineSIERRA, try every pistol you can get your hands on before you decide. Look at the S&W M&P9, HK P30, Walther PPQ and compare them to the Sig P226 and Glock 17.

S. Galbraith
04-20-13, 10:47
Only you can decide what pistol is best for "you". I have spent many years trying out different pistols and calibers based on what others have liked, only to prefer something different. In the end, you need to decide what pistol and caliber you can not only shoot well......but what you enjoy shooting. If you enjoy the pistol, you will naturally train more with it regardless of the cost. I wouldn't recommend a Colt Peace Maker to anyone, but in the hands of Bob Munden it is an incredible performer. You would be best served spending the extra money to rent some pistols and shoot them. Put at least 50rds through each gun while shooting them at different ranges, single handed(left & right), and with some double taps. Carefully record your scores, and compare them. What you shoot best is first priority......but also make sure that you like the pistol and caliber.

ap1220
04-20-13, 11:04
Would have to look at the specs to be sure but a 226 is not going to be that much lighter than an M9.

Assuming you're right handed? If you like the features of the Glock, but don't like the Glock part of the equation check out the Smith & Wesson M&P series.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Hahahaha, love this line! :dirol:

But like it was said, find the one that feels the best, points more natural to you. Bonus points if you shoot it well too.

MAUSER202
04-20-13, 16:21
I have owned,carried and shot Sig's for many years and recently got a MK 25 as a night stand pistol because I like the safety of the long D/A pull. But if I could own only one hand gun it would be a PPQ. I shoot them faster and more accurate than anything else. Bottom line is you can't pick the best for you by asking others, you need to shoot them to see what is best. I would never have considered a polymer pistol until I shot one. Go rent, shoot and then decide what is best for you.

GH41
04-20-13, 16:46
Best post in this thread.

WolverineSIERRA, try every pistol you can get your hands on before you decide. Look at the S&W M&P9, HK P30, Walther PPQ and compare them to the Sig P226 and Glock 17.

With Big 100% Find a range that rents guns. At least shoot a Glock, XD and M&P. GH

sboza
04-20-13, 17:11
BigJoe is right on. Try as many of these pistols as you can. Every individuals hands are different. While almost anyone can adopt to any pistol, if you have the option, why not choose the gun best suited to your hands.

That said, between the two guns you are looking at, I would certainly choose the glock 17. I love sigs and I was originally trained on the Sig P228 (similar to the P229 in 9mm) and I love the P226 also. Thing is that with that long da pull, there is a good deal of training and repetition required to break the shot on presentation (prepping trigger as you extend). This is a tough skill to master and requires more frequent practice. In addition, give that you will fire all of your followup rounds in sa, this is the trigger position you will want to adjust your trigger finger placement for. This may or may not be a big deal depending on your hand size but that first shot trigger placement will be at least somewhat less than ideal. Finally, no amount of training could make me shoot faster than glock shooters of similar ability (particularily on movers due to that long da pull).

When I went with glock, I had to take time to get used to the trigger but after a few hundred rounds of break-in, there was no going back. Whatever I have to use in the future, I'll adapt to and make my primary training pistol but if I could choose, it would be glock all day long. 26 for deep concealment, 19 for concealment and range/home defense, 17 for duty/range/home defense. Gen 4 does offer the end user a lot more options as far as hand size is concened. Good luck.

MK75
04-20-13, 21:21
When choosing a firearm for my wife I took her to the local range and we rented 4 of her favorite looking and best feeling/fitting pistols. The one that she shot the best (tightest groups) with is the one we purchased. So, maybe that will work for you. Either way, DUDE YOU'RE GETTING A NEW GUN! SWEET!!!

SiGfever
04-20-13, 22:54
I suggest renting each model being considered and see which ones you shoot the best and then retest those to chose one. Often what feels good in the hand does not equate to what you shoot the best. A G17 or G19 are solid choices that will serve you well.

Gahunter12
04-20-13, 22:56
I'm with Big Joe here. I like the way the SA XD's fill in my hands better than Glocks, but I am on average about 25 seconds faster with my Glock in IDPA. I get on target so much faster with my Glocks due to the grip angle even though it's not as comfortable as the XD's. I will admit that the Glock grip is growing on me. Shoot all of the top pistols, and go with the one that fits you best. :cool:

twistedcomrade
04-21-13, 09:22
OP, you have narrowed it down to two fine choices. What really matters now is your personal preference and your wallet. Parts and spare mags will be less expensive for the G17 so that may be a factor for you. I would say get both, but if I had to choose only one then I would go with a Glock 17.

BigJoe
04-21-13, 09:28
and even a glock can be built just like anything else to be better fitting if you decide to go that route

For plastic guns and other work (sig, HK, glock, XD, etc)
Custom 1911-Glock- M&P's (http://www.businessendcustoms.com/)
www.boresightsolutions.com/
Salient Arms International (http://www.salientarmsinternational.com/)
Grayguns by Bruce Gray (http://grayguns.com/)
www.ateiguns.com/
Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page (http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/)
Index (http://www.coldborecustom.com/)

tom frost
04-21-13, 14:38
Both of the choices you listed are excellent! Between the two, if I could only have one I would choose the Glock. That said I am a bigger fan of the M&P platform. I don't think you lose anything in reliability, and for my hands, you gain in the ergonomics dept..

All just my opinion, get what you like and enjoy!!

foxtrotx1
04-21-13, 16:58
no M9 lol i carried one for a while, too heavy and iam not a fan of external safteys and m9 in my experience needs lots of maintaince

The myth about m9s needing a lot of maintenance needs to die. I can't imagine what soldiers must do to those poor things in order to make them get this reputation.

SteveS
04-21-13, 17:08
I would agree with the posts that state try to rent the pistols and see which one fits the best. IMO you can learn to shoot "any" pistol but if the shoe fits so to say ,,,,,

Grand58742
04-21-13, 17:13

Actually, weight wise the Sig is lighter by almost seven ounces when loaded. And in my experience I've found the Sig to have a better overall balance for an all metal pistol. To me the Beretta has always been to front heavy.

OP, either one is a fine choice. Glock, Sig, M&P...the list goes on. Find a range, try them all out.

Grand58742
04-21-13, 17:38
The myth about m9s needing a lot of maintenance needs to die. I can't imagine what soldiers must do to those poor things in order to make them get this reputation.

Let's see...barrels rusting if you look at them wrong for starters. The open top slide that seems to be a magnet for dust and dirt even within an enclosed holster like the Bianchi issued M9. I ended up getting enough crap in my hammer spring and strut in Iraq that it had to be completely disassembled by an armorer to get cleaned out. And this is after I did cleaning almost every other day since I was working around a lot of dusty areas. Plastic guide rod cracked on another I saw when shooting qualification. Cracked locking blocks. There's probably more horror stories out there.

Provided I don't have the high round counts like a lot of folks do. And I've heard of some M9/Model 92s running a hundred thousand rounds without a hiccup. But based off my experience of 19 years in the military and carrying a Beretta for a significant portion of that (you can read that as almost daily) there were better choices out there. And far better choices now. Mine has always gone bang when I pulled the trigger, but that's because I've always taken the extra steps for preventative maintenance. But in my opinion and experience the design does not lend itself well to desert environments where sand and dust are a significant problem. Nor in high humidity areas where rust can form overnight.

In short, $5 per unit and political situations be damned, the .mil should have adopted the P226 when we had the chance. Apologies for the thread drift.

El Pistolero
04-21-13, 18:39
Nevermind, I don't want to hijack the thread since the Beretta isn't either of the pistols under discussion by the OP.

_JD_
04-21-13, 20:55
Actually, weight wise the Sig is lighter by almost seven ounces when loaded. And in my experience I've found the Sig to have a better overall balance for an all metal pistol. To me the Beretta has always been to front heavy.

OP, either one is a fine choice. Glock, Sig, M&P...the list goes on. Find a range, try them all out.

If the manufactures specs are to be believed, the M9 (http://www.berettausa.com/products/m9-commercial-9mm-15rds/) weighs 33.3oz, the Sig 226 (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226.aspx) weighs 34oz (with empty mag). Both hold 15+1..not sure how both being loaded would somehow make 1 of 2 almost identically weighing pistols 7oz lighter.

Grand58742
04-22-13, 03:41
If the manufactures specs are to be believed, the M9 (http://www.berettausa.com/products/m9-commercial-9mm-15rds/) weighs 33.3oz, the Sig 226 (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226.aspx) weighs 34oz (with empty mag). Both hold 15+1..not sure how both being loaded would somehow make 1 of 2 almost identically weighing pistols 7oz lighter.

Looking over it again I saw the weight of 34 ounces w/ magazine and I assumed they were talking about a full magazine. So you are probably correct.

Failure2Stop
04-22-13, 07:16
I have seen way too many recent manufacture Sigs shit the bed to recommend them.

I have seen very good things from Glock and S&W.

While you seem to lean toward the G17 I would seriously recommend considering the G19. If you don't shoot it well, it's because you need more work on pistol, not because it is any worse than the 17, and from a technical standpoint the G19 is actually superior. G17 mags can be used in the G19 to bring it up to capacity, or standard G19 mags can be used for a little edge in concealability.

The S&W M&P9 sits between the G19 and G17 in size, and has a lot going for it. More truly ambidextrous and an arguably better trigger, especially with the Apex options.

Both have good support in holster, accessories, and spare/replacement parts, though the Glocks are noticeably easier to work on.

Hmac
04-22-13, 08:13
I have seen way too many recent manufacture Sigs shit the bed to recommend them.

I have seen very good things from Glock and S&W.

While you seem to lean toward the G17 I would seriously recommend considering the G19. If you don't shoot it well, it's because you need more work on pistol, not because it is any worse than the 17, and from a technical standpoint the G19 is actually superior. G17 mags can be used in the G19 to bring it up to capacity, or standard G19 mags can be used for a little edge in concealability.

The S&W M&P9 sits between the G19 and G17 in size, and has a lot going for it. More truly ambidextrous and an arguably better trigger, especially with the Apex options.

Both have good support in holster, accessories, and spare/replacement parts, though the Glocks are noticeably easier to work on.

I've taken many defensive firearms courses over the last few years, mostly from nationally-known trainers. One common point in the various classroom sessions, both from the instructors and comments from police armorers and students in the class, is a relatively high rate of failure of recent-model Sigs. Sounds like the class would get the same sort of dialogue in a course from F2S as well.

Conversely, very few, if any, negative comments on the M&P series, and older Sigs. Glocks are always mentioned, naturally, and conversations often take the tone of "they are great firearms but..." and then begins a relatively short list of problems that one might expect to encounter with Glocks of various generations.

Plumber237
05-01-13, 14:53
If you liked the glock 19, hold a gen 4 to see if you like the new grip, I really do since I ran grip decals on my gen 3's, now they're not necessary. Glock is always a safe bet.