PDA

View Full Version : First Accessory

levik97
04-18-13, 21:23
*UPDATE BOTTOM OF PAGE TWO Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't find it when I searched. I am planning on at least trying to get a Daniel Defense M4V3 this summer. I am wondering what accessory i should get for it first. Obviously the first thing is a rear sight (I'll probably get a DD fixed rear), but what after that? Eventually I would like to get an Aimpoint Micro T-1/H-1 (on LaRue 1/3 cowitness mount), a Blue Force Gear VCAS, a Magpul AFG, and an Elzetta ZFL-M60-LS2R. I'd like to know what to get first not based on price but on necessity (I know that's not the right word to use but I couldn't think of another). Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies I get and again, I apologize if this is a beaten to death subject.

Levi

El Pistolero
04-18-13, 21:27
Ammo.

Gadfly
04-18-13, 21:31
In my personal priority order given your list?

1) Sling (like a holster for your rifle)
1a) mags and ammo for practice
2) Light (you should be able to see what you are shooting at)
3) Red dot (you said you have irons, or I would put this at number 2)

All other things can come as time and money permits.
Just my opinion. Others here may thing differently.
Enjoy your rifle. DD makes a nice one...

bleaman225
04-18-13, 21:32
Ammo.

And after you shoot that ammo, then you will have a better idea of what purchases to make.

MistWolf
04-18-13, 22:29
Ammo Before Accessories, Shoot Before Modifying

What you need are sights, ammo and mags in order to shoot.

If it were me, I'd get a weapon light, RDS and a sling. But if I had to choose between ammo and any of these three items, I would buy ammo.

But then, that's what I tell all the noobies

levik97
04-18-13, 22:39
Yeah, a gun's pretty much useless without ammo haha

Levi

citizensoldier16
04-18-13, 22:41
Ammo, and a training class. All the accessories in the world may look cool, but they're useless if you can't operate the weapon properly. Learn to shoot well using irons first.

Aaron_B
04-18-13, 22:48
Ammo, mags, training class.

After that, next on the list would be sling and light followed by RDS when funds more available.

Followed by more ammo.

levik97
04-18-13, 23:00
Magpul AFG2

Haha I don't actually have it yet. I'll be working my ass off to get it though. Also, I'm trying to get mags and ammo now before the Colorado ban so hopefully that will be covered. As for training, I can shoot an AR-15 well and I don't have the funds in the foreseeable future for an actual class and NE Colorado doesn't have a whole lot of choices for classes anyway. Also, I probably won't get all of the accessories for a year or so.

Levi

RMiller
04-18-13, 23:16
Ammo and good mags are a necessity, not really accessories.

Your DD should already come with a set of fixed sights I'd imagine. Otherwise yes the DD fixed irons are the cats meow.

After that get a good sling, VCAS comes to mind. Like previously mentioned, its like a holster for a handgun.

After that a good light. Also, like previously mentioned, you need to know what you are shooting at.

Red Dot of some sort is the last thing I'd put on there. If it came down to a class/ammo vs a red dot for my money it would be the training.

Wolf Spyder
04-19-13, 01:24
levik97

I am wondering what accessory I should get for it first.

Buy the rifle... then move out of Colorado. Of course, that should be first on your list before you buy the rifle...

RCI1911
04-19-13, 10:25
Ammo and mags are a given as well as training. Talking about acutual accessories I would start with a good sling and a good light and mount. From there shoot it a bunch and see what works for you and what doesn't. Optics are a good investment once you get proficient with irons. You may find that you want to swap out the grip and/or stock for something else. Perhaps an upgraded charging handle or different safety selector switch or ambi controls. Alot of these decisions will be based on personal preference. A good sling and a good light and mount are the only "neccessary" upgrades IMO. Everything else is just fine tuning and gravy.

Quick Draw
04-19-13, 10:42
1. Ammo
2. Geiselle SSA or SSA-E trigger
3. Sling
4. Optics
5. Training/Practice

Other accessories can be added as you decide the end use of your rifle (3 gun, varmint/predator hunting, target shooting-long or short range,
home defense, etc).

You have made an excellent choice in rifles.

Enjoy.

Cylinder Head
04-19-13, 10:51
Haha I don't actually have it yet. I'll be working my ass off to get it though. Also, I'm trying to get mags and ammo now before the Colorado ban so hopefully that will be covered. As for training, I can shoot an AR-15 well and I don't have the funds in the foreseeable future for an actual class and NE Colorado doesn't have a whole lot of choices for classes anyway. Also, I probably won't get all of the accessories for a year or so.

Levi

Considering you are a fellow Calirado resident I would recommend you get AS MANY MAGS AS POSSIBLE before July 1. HB1224 is going to rain on your parade. PM me with your approximate location or post it and I can tell you where to stock up. Also, you can sign up for the Boulder Airlift from Magpul.

duece71
04-19-13, 10:58
Magazines first, then ammo. Without those two, your rifle is nothing more than a club/bat.

matemike
04-19-13, 11:04
another vote for the sling next

that is of course post ammo and shooting that ammo. Be sure to have more than enough magazines as well. 5 may seem like a lot, but 10 would be better. Think of them as pairs of socks, they get dirty, they wear out, some faaster than others, but either way you hate it when you run out. you can continue to wear dirty socks, (use dirty mags), but you risk infected feet (infected, non-functioning carbine). bth easily avoidable. so keep as many as you can afford and as many as you can fit in yor "sock drawer"

Lights and red dots are nice, and you will likely pursue those next as you continue to shoot.

grips are easy to replace and not as expensive, so that might be close to the top of the list just because. look at magpul or hogue for a new grip.

a new trigger should be far down the line. only change it if you absolutely cannot stand your stock trigger. DD should have a good trigger in there from the beginning though. Just remember, if you change your trigger, you might be learning the gun all over again with the breaking point and reset point of a new trigger.

levik97
04-19-13, 11:52
levik97

Buy the rifle... then move out of Colorado. Of course, that should be first on your list before you buy the rifle...

I'm only 16 so that isn't really possibility as of now. I'm planning on moving to Wyoming and going to college in Laramie when I'm 18. As for mags, all my income before July 1 will being going for them. I'll be signing up for the Boulder Airlift program ASAP too. Also, with mags and ammo, those are a given and I don't really consider them accessories but parts of the rifle itself. Luckily, I'm not far from Cabelas in Sidney so that is one place I can get mags. BTW Thanks to every one who gave input, you've been very helpful.

Levi

mrvco
04-19-13, 12:16
Definitely mags first. I'm sure pre-ban mags will be plentiful in the border states, but better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't stock up on ammo now, unless you find a seriously good deal (brass cased, 223/556 <=.60/round).

I thought the V3 came with a rear site?

A sling w/ a QD attachment like the Magpul MS3 Single QD and their RSA mount for running it 2-point as desired.

Quality training.

Vote in 2014.

Failure2Stop
04-19-13, 12:22
Sights and lights.
You cant hit what you can't aim at, and you can't aim at what you can't see, and if you can't ID your target, you don't know what you're aiming at.

Kind of like asking what you should get for your car first: brakes, throttle, headlights, instrument panel, steering wheel, radio, leather seats, larger fuel tank, or phone charger. There are specific parts that are essential for use, and others that are nice to have.

light>sling
sights>lights (daylight)
sights=lights (darkness)
ammo>AFG
sling>AFG

Ammunition and training are essential to know what these pieces actually do and how to work around issues.

Doc. Holiday
04-19-13, 12:34
What everyone else has already said. AMMO and Mags. These two items are things that every gun MUST HAVE (Yes I know sights are essential, getting to that).
You already have iron sights, so get mags and ammo first and go shooting with it. I doubt you are going to do low light shooting on your first run so I don't think a light is a MUST HAVE for right now. As you shoot, figure out what you are liking more ie run and gun or long range stuff. This will impact if you want a RDS or a Scope. This will then help you if you want a AFG or a bipod and so on and so forth.

Tzook
04-19-13, 13:11
The very first thing I do with a new gun is replace the A2 grip. In my opinion, it makes a rifle damn near un-shootable. After that, I'd say you need a sling and boatloads of ammo. Hold off on an optic until you've learned to be proficient with iron sights.

discreet
04-20-13, 12:07
Wait, so you havent even got the gun yet, and are even a ways out from getting it, and you are already worried about what stuff to put on it? Get the gun first, shoot the hell out of it, then figure what stuff you want/need to add. Sounds simple to me. Daydreaming about what crap you can bolt on a gun you dont even own yet doesnt make much sense to me.

Remember, you will need mags and ammo before the gun is even worth anything, so that would be my first purchase ordeal.

From there, go down the list of what you feel you need once shooting it.

1H11
04-20-13, 20:01
Just grab a vcas/vtac sling, light, mags, ammo, rd of your choice. Then drive the stick at some training courses.

sgtrock82
04-20-13, 20:54
With ammo and mags as a no-brainer, the first "accessory" should IMO be a sling. You can do a search or look around locally and seek as much hands on, info and recommendations as you can. I say sling because it is a very necessary item for which you dont have a start point. You have sights, stock, grip, handguard to work with but no sling (at least not a useful one). All these other items are a matter of needs and ergonomics which should be based on your experiences shooting the carbine, your environment and an honest assessment of what you want this carbine for (HD/SD, range toy, etc. ) If you find that the A2 grip is actually uncomfortable while shooting it, then study the options and change it.

For a sling I recommend a VCAS or VTAC. Both are very popular and I feel there is a reason for that so I consider them a good starting point. If you decide you dont like either, they usually sell quick.

JonnyVain
04-20-13, 22:19
I don't consider sights an accessory, so...

Grip and VFG of some sort. For me, I find it important to feel comfortable with my rifle, and you can get both for under $50 total. Although you might try 2-3 before you settle for one.

You'll want to shoot it a few times before even thinking about what you want. It will help you narrow down what you like and don't like.

Jellybean
04-20-13, 23:19
Well, everyone's already pretty much nailed it, but I might as well pile on-

As you're in CO, GET MAGS!!!
Then get ammo (if you can actually find any)- get a damn lot of it.
While you're doing that you should get a sling- I'm personally partial to the VCAS Padded. You need this because sometimes you need to let go of your rifle to do other stuff (and thangs... :D) like transitioning to a pistol. And carrying the thing around all day can suck.

AFTER you have those three things, the very next thing you should get is a better grip- the A2 F'ing sucks monkey balls. An MOE/MOE+, or one of BCMs new grips should be at the top of the list.
After the grip, you should seriously think about investing in a BCM Gunfighter charging handle- you wouldn't think it, but it makes a HUGE difference.

Don't even bother worrying about the irons- a DD V3 will have iron sights, and they work just dandy- I actually own one of these rifles (as do many others here). And since you're not plannig to mount a scope, you really don't need flip sights.

Along with fixing the above ergonomic issues, you should get a light if you have any intentions of every using this rifle seriously. I see you've aready run across Elzetta- I actually have one of their lights strapped to my rifle with a Gear Sector mount (which I highly recommend you check out for it's simplicity and ergos/weight). It's quite nice for the money. Failing that, there's always Surefire- if you get the V3, you will have a rail, so you could also mount an X300/X300Ultra if you want- a lot of folks like that approach.

You're optic is GTG- probably what I'd get after the above items are squared away. You should really shoot a bit with your irons first- especially at a class where you can do work with rapid target transitions. This will help you become familiar with them, plus, it will make you appreciate that RDS SO much more afterwards.....:D

After that, if so needed you could change out the stock- If you like the MOE stock, than keep it- it's a great stock. I don't like it, and got an ACS, which IMO is most excellent. The new ACS versions as well as the Sopmod/B5 are great as well if you want a better cheek weld/feel.
A few rail covers wouldn't hurt either- I like a combo of the XTMs and Larue Clips. Nothing wrong with ladders or panels though.
The vert grip that comes with the V3 should be more than sufficient, unless you're looking for something else specific.

That's all.
I will say, if you're just planning to get the rifle because it's some cool thing you can tacticool out to show off to all your buddys, please don't even bother- just let someone else who actually is planning to use it buy the thing.
Of course seeing as how you're here, I'm hoping that's not the case. ;)

Oh, one last thing- if you get the DD V3, be sure to check the allen set screws on the rail for tightness (don't strip them). My V3 came a little loose out of the box and needed a quick tightening.

LMT Shooter
04-20-13, 23:26
Ammo and good mags are a necessity, not really accessories.

Your DD should already come with a set of fixed sights I'd imagine. Otherwise yes the DD fixed irons are the cats meow.

After that get a good sling, VCAS comes to mind. Like previously mentioned, its like a holster for a handgun.

After that a good light. Also, like previously mentioned, you need to know what you are shooting at.

Red Dot of some sort is the last thing I'd put on there. If it came down to a class/ammo vs a red dot for my money it would be the training.

+1 on this. A light & a sling are top of the list.

levik97
04-21-13, 00:30
That's all. I will say, if you're just planning to get the rifle because it's some cool thing you can tacticool out to show off to all your buddys, please don't even bother- just let someone else who actually is planning to use it buy the thing.
Of course seeing as how you're here, I'm hoping that's not the case. ;)

Haha thanks for the input. No, I don't want to buy the rifle just to be tacticool. I want it because I've been shooting ARs for quite a while now but never had one and I really just love them. Also, the reason I included the mention of getting the DD rear sight is because I'll actually probably build the lower and put a V3 upper on it and I'm not sure if they come with a sight. I just said I was getting the rifle because I figured it wouldn't matter that much anyway. Also, like I said before, all money I have before July 1 will be going towards magazines. I am going to sign up for the Boulder Airlift and I might try and order a 10 pack of mags after that from BCM as they've been in stock lately (at least last I saw).

Levi

Jellybean
04-21-13, 08:40
Haha thanks for the input. No, I don't want to buy the rifle just to be tacticool. I want it because I've been shooting ARs for quite a while now but never had one and I really just love them. Also, the reason I included the mention of getting the DD rear sight is because I'll actually probably build the lower and put a V3 upper on it and I'm not sure if they come with a sight. I just said I was getting the rifle because I figured it wouldn't matter that much anyway. Also, like I said before, all money I have before July 1 will be going towards magazines. I am going to sign up for the Boulder Airlift and I might try and order a 10 pack of mags after that from BCM as they've been in stock lately (at least last I saw).

Levi

I see. No problem then.

As far as the V3 upper, I don't know where you're planning to order from, but you may be right about it coming with no rear sight- I helped a relative build an AR a while back and he used a V3 upper, and had to order a rear sight seperately.

levik97
04-21-13, 13:07
Well hopefully by the time I get my lower built I can at least backorder one. Then again, LPKs are hard to find too. Maybe after July 1 they will be more available. Wishful thinking probably but I hope not.

Levi

levik97
09-09-13, 09:50
Well, I didn't go with the DD. I got a BCM 16" BFH upper with a Troy VTAC Alpha 13" rail. I ordered a BCM blem lower from Grant last week. I went with DD fixed front and rear sights. My stock is a B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo. I have LaRue index clips on the top rail to protect it and it makes it easier on my thumb. I ordered a Blue Force VCAS padded sling the other day along with a RMFL sling mount. I am going to get a Streamlight TLR-1 this week and I will mount it at 12 o'clock in front of the front sight. I'm not planning on getting an Aimpoint anytime soon. Most of my income from now on will go towards ammo. I will post pics next week if anyone is interested. Thanks for the help (even though this is a pretty old thread)!

Levi

_Stormin_
09-09-13, 10:06
It's good to see the thread updated. Often times, people ask, advise is given, but then there is no feedback as to how it worked out for the end user.

Out of curiosity, why would you mount the light in front of the front sight, instead of next to it? Maybe it's just a personal preference for me, but having my front sight post as far forward on the top rail as possible provides the most consistency with irons, especially when shooting at extended distances.

Good call on the rifle. You won't be upset with the BCM.

ginzomatic
09-09-13, 10:10
Well, I didn't go with the DD. I got a BCM 16' BFH upper with a Troy VTAC Alpha 13' rail. I ordered a BCM blem lower from Grant last week. I went with DD fixed front and rear sights. My stock is a B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo. I have LaRue index clips on the top rail to protect it and it makes it easier on my thumb. I ordered a Blue Force VCAS padded sling the other day along with a RMFL sling mount. I am going to get a Streamlight TLR-1 this week and I will mount it at 12 o'clock in front of the front sight. I'm not planning on getting an Aimpoint anytime soon. Most of my income from now on will go towards ammo. I will post pics next week if anyone is interested. Thanks for the help (even though this is a pretty old thread)!

Levi

Sounds like a great rifle, congrats!

Have fun with it, and shoot the hell out of it.

levik97
09-09-13, 11:01
It's good to see the thread updated. Often times, people ask, advise is given, but then there is no feedback as to how it worked out for the end user.

Out of curiosity, why would you mount the light in front of the front sight, instead of next to it? Maybe it's just a personal preference for me, but having my front sight post as far forward on the top rail as possible provides the most consistency with irons, especially when shooting at extended distances.

I like the the position it puts my hand better (although the difference is minor). Also, I don't feel that I am losing much by moving the FSP back a couple inches considering the rail is 13". Thanks for the feedback!

Levi

Abraham
09-09-13, 15:28
Everyone (rightly) suggests get lots of ammo.

What they don't suggest is more info on ammo specifics or is such irrelevant as long as it's .223/5.56?

MistWolf
09-09-13, 15:32
...Out of curiosity, why would you mount the light in front of the front sight, instead of next to it?...

Because it works
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire002.jpg

Levi, it sounds like your rifle is coming together nicely. When do you think it'll be complete?

Iraqgunz
09-09-13, 15:38
With a fixed front sight base it's irrelevant since you can't move it forward. If you are using a longer rail such as a 13" or 14" the placement of the front flip sight and let's say a Surefire X300 is about the same as that of a midlength.

Placing the light at 12 o'clock is for all intents and purposes is the ideal position. The issues with shadowing, shooting around corners, manipulation, etc... are greatly reduced/ enhanced.

Failure2Stop
09-09-13, 16:14
Everyone (rightly) suggests get lots of ammo.

What they don't suggest is more info on ammo specifics or is such irrelevant as long as it's .223/5.56?

Personally, I like about a 10/90 split between precision ammo and burner ammo, with about 200-500 rounds of "duty" ammo on standby.

levik97
09-09-13, 16:55
Because it works
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire002.jpg

Levi, it sounds like your rifle is coming together nicely. When do you think it'll be complete?

My lower will get to my FFL on Thursday (or so says UPS). I would be interested in what people recommend for duty ammo. I did happen pick up 100 rounds of Winchester M855 on Saturday at Cabela's in Sydney, NE (one of the perks of being in NE Colorado, Sydney is only about 1 hour away). Thanks.

Levi

Iraqgunz
09-09-13, 17:45
I would go to SGAmmo.com and look at some of the 5.56 ammo they have in stock.

They have some Black Hills and other OTM/ hollow points in stock.

My lower will get to my FFL on Thursday (or so says UPS). I would be interested in what people recommend for duty ammo. I did happen pick up 100 rounds off Winchester M855 on Saturday at Cabela's in Sydney, NE (one of the perks of being in NE Colorado, Sydney is only about 1 hour away). Thanks.

Levi

Rook82
09-09-13, 18:40
Ammo and magazines are the essential first step. Without them, then no matter how you outfit the weapon, it is just a club. I would say 8-10 mags at a minimum. You can never have to many. But you want to be able to have 200 plus rounds ready to go for a defensive rifle. P-mags can be found for 12-14 bucks (tons at my local stores for this price). At least get some bulk xm193 for inexpensive but reliable ammo. Should be able to get 1,000 rounds for around $400. Been a little scarce lately but is find able.

After the mags and ammo (mags are almost a first as without them you can not load the ammo). I would go with a sling next (as many have said). That way you have a way to carry the weapon if needed. You may never use it at the range etc. But it is essential.

I know it is high on the desire list to add a quality red dot, etc. But if on a budget, it is fairly un needed. Irons will fill the needs for most any circumstance a civilian will ever need (not talking hunting, etc). The cost to add a good red dot is $400+. That equals a lot of ammo and range time. And shooting with Irons is very rewarding and a great skill.

After the sling, I would go with a decent light and light mount. Very useful for many reasons. I have them mounted on everything I would use for self/home defense. Shotguns, pistol and AR. Even with Iron sights, with the addition of a proper light, you will be good to go. Red dots show up better then irons at night obviously. But if all you can see is the "dot" then how do you know what you are shooting at.

After getting those basics out of the way then it is cooling or outfitting to your desire as far as stocks or grips, etc. The red dot imho is very far down on the list for essentials. Luxury and very usefull. But many things ahead of it. Does not give you the bang for the buck that many other things do. And above all, the weapon is useless if you do not have the ammo and mags to shoot it. it's like having a Ferrari set up for the track, but not having any fuel. If there is no fuel then no fun then the car isn't going to operate and just sit there and look pretty.

levik97
09-09-13, 18:50
Thanks IRAQGUNZ. Which would you recommend? 68 grain Hornady hollow points, 75 grain Hornady hollow points, or Black Hills 75 grain hollow points? I am leaning towards the 68 grain Hornady due to price and also more available training ammo in that bullet weight.

Levi

Iraqgunz
09-09-13, 19:45
You need to determine what you need and how much. I have almost a thousand rounds of Hornady 75gr. TAP. That ammo has limited application and use. I have 7 preloaded mags with it and the rest in ammo cans.

How much IMMEDIATE defensive ammo do you need? The Winchester 64gr. bonded is another good recommended round. If you had 3 mags loaded for immediate usage that would most likely be adequate.

The majority of my ammo consists of M855/M193 and clone.

Thanks IRAQGUNZ. Which would you recommend? 68 grain Hornady hollow points, 75 grain Hornady hollow points, or Black Hills 75 grain hollow points? I am leaning towards the 68 grain Hornady due to price and also more available training ammo in that bullet weight.

Levi

lowbar
09-09-13, 20:33
Ammo, sling, light. Assuming you already have some kind of sight picture.

sndmn11
09-09-13, 23:04
If you are going with the TLR1 series, you can move the rail key back toward the switch end of the light by trimming it with a dremel, and then placing it in the rear void. This will allow you to move the light one or two positions closer to the muzzle, and your front sight as well so you really don't lose much sight radius.
I believe CO State Patrol is still issued Gold Dots, and you can regularly find them around or less than $20.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=24448
If the following testing is still viewed upon in good light, they are a suggested load. http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

3 AE
09-10-13, 02:16
A second AR just like your first. Shoot both of them a lot in their basic form. Then move on to all of the suggestions and advice from members in the know in this forum. Ammo , mags, lights, slings, etc.

levik97
09-10-13, 23:21
Ordered Streamlight TLR-1 today along with some batteries for it. Now I just need to figure out what ammo to buy! Thanks for all the help guys! Without this forum I am sure I would have ended up with a Bushmaster, RRA, or some other lower quality AR. Yuck!

Levi

SpeedRacer
09-11-13, 01:14
OWLS: Optic, White Light, Sling.

Anything beyond that should be determined by getting out there and shooting that bad boy. Find some quality instruction in your area, identify any additional needs as you go. Chances are there won't be any.

3ACR_Scout
09-11-13, 07:24
I have to disagree with a lot of people here. I think the first accessory you should add to an AR15 is a BCM Gunfighter or similar charging handle with an extended release (hopefully included with the BCM upper that the OP purchased). While a lot of the recommendations address "nice to have" accessories, I think the original charging handle is one of the major shortcomings of the basic design of the rifle.

Optics are great, but they're expensive. Master the iron sights first - people have been using them effectively out to 300m and beyond for decades. The A2 grip may not be to everyone's liking, but again, soldiers have been using it for two decades and getting the job done. Tactical slings didn't even become common until a decade or so ago, and you can still fight without one. AFGs, VFGs, etc. - again, nice to have and may improve your speed and comfort level. The improved charging handle will help you keep the weapon in the fight and potentially resolve serious stoppages that could get you killed. It's the first thing (and depending on the rules, maybe the only thing) I swap out on my issue M4 before I worry about anything else.

Dave

MistWolf
09-11-13, 08:48
At the same time, folks have been successfully using the standard charging handle for decades before the Gunfighter was even a gleam in it's designer's eye.

A sling is a sling and while I can use a rifle without one, it's inconvenient to do so without having a shooting bench to set it on. It doesn't have to be a "tactical sling", even a conventionally mounted sling is better than nothing, but a two point sling set up to allow "tactical" carry works better, especially on a rifle with a pistol grip and a magazine that extends past the belly of the rifle.

I used to argue that every shooter needed to master iron sights but that may be an unreasonable expectation. "Mastery" means a high level of expertise requiring years of experience to achieve. Not everyone can achieve mastery of iron sights, otherwise it wouldn't be mastery. But that doesn't relieve shooters from the responsibility of becoming proficient in their use.

An Aimpoint RDS works so well for target acquistion, that it should be one of the first things mounted to serious use rifle. Fast aiming is important.

A weapon light is also high on the list because if you cannot see and identify your target, it doesn't matter how fast your sights are.

A sling is a no brainer.

A BCM Gunfighter is the universal choice for charging handles, but if I had to choose between a GF and an Aimpoint RDS, the RDS will get the nod everytime. Some shooters find other CHs work better for their use. (The reality is, because of the relatively low cost of the GF, it's easy to purchase.)

AFGs, grips are all peripheral and are according to the shooter's choice

3ACR_Scout
09-11-13, 09:11
Yeah, sorry, "master" was the wrong word, but I firmly believe that everyone should have a firm grasp of the basics of using the rifle, i.e. sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, etc. that comes from getting experience with iron sights before going out to spend a couple hundred dollars on an RDS. Especially a young person who is just getting started with an AR15.

Dave

chadb
09-11-13, 11:10
Ammo, mags, sling, ammo, mags, ammo. Mags break and ammo gets used so you can never have enough in my opinion. A quality sling is also a must have. I read that you were interested inn a fixed rear sight, may I suggest a flip up rear sight. I use a Troy DOA and for me I like the flip up because when running my eotech there is less in the way. If you have the A2 front sight I would suggest you buy a mount for your optics so the red dot will clear the front sight post

SilverBullet432
09-11-13, 11:31
I was being foolish when i got my ar, i bought a bad lever the day i got the rifle, i was a lil too excited. Ive since then taken it off, to learn to properly use the paddle first

Army Chief
09-11-13, 11:47
Good advice here throughout. I would simply echo that, particularly for a new buyer/shooter, there is a significant difference between needs and wants that isn't always obvious.

The rifle needs very little. Sights, magazines, ammo and a sling.

It makes sense to add a light and RDS as time, training and funds permit, but none of these are show-stoppers for a rifle that has no immediate service role. They are things that you add as your skills and understanding grow.

Take the time to develop some basic competence with the gun, and get comfortable with the characteristics of how and why it does what it does. Many, if not most, of these questions will answer themselves in time, but they will be your answers, and not something gleaned from anonymous internet posts or skimming magazine ads.

Folks tend to get this backwards in an attempt to build a gun that looks the part, but which is not all-that-well-suited to individual needs. The Equipment Exchange is full of stuff that "seemed like a good idea at the time," but which really was neither needed, nor even wanted, in the end.

We've all been there, but the difference in your case is that you are seeking wisdom at an unusually-young age. Most of us pretty much already knew everything that there is to know by our early-20s, and only managed to figure out that we were actually idiots a few years later. 'Tis the curse of every man-pup. ;)

AC

levik97
09-12-13, 20:47
I got my lower! BCM 16" BFH upper with 13" Troy VTAC Alpha rail, BCM blem lower from Grant, Daniel Defense sights, Blue Force Gear VCAS padded sling, B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo stock, and a Streamlight TLR-1 on the way!

Levi

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy270/levik97/CC1C4D66-CDC2-493E-A630-F80845F1F4AD-7698-00000CFC78DD3A06_zps566d2727.jpg

Seagunner
09-15-13, 04:36
I was buying ammo and mags way before I could afford my AR..just saying!

OliviaGoode
09-27-13, 09:32
Thanks for the conversation i was searching the same things, i'm interested in buy a Daniel Defense M4V3 but did know the requirements for this, Your experience is working very good for me.