PDA

View Full Version : Anybody loading 69gr SMKs with CFE223?

clark98ut
04-19-13, 08:48
Any load tips?

Thanks,

Dan

markm
04-19-13, 09:13
You have to work hard to screw up a MatchKing load. Even Black Hills can get them to shoot decent.

I'd just go to the Hodgdon load data site and start there.

rm06
04-19-13, 20:30
Start here:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I have some 69gr. SMKs over CFE223 ready to shoot over a chrono - from starting load to max, we'll see how they perform.

JR TACTICAL
04-19-13, 21:04
i dont shoot 69grn but i loaded up 1k of remington 56grn over 25-27 grains of CFE223 and they are smokin' hot! i dont know how accurate the chrono was i borrowed from a friend but i had ranges from 3020 to 3300 FPS. Shot out of a 16inch BFH BCM standard profile barrel.

I noticed a huge jump in recoil over the normal PMC shit i normally shoot but that stuff is under pressured as it is.

Accuracy was good enough for me, but am just looking to minuet of asshole out at 100-200 yards with my Eotech.

If I could load it over again I would have just stayed at the 25 grain mark as i saw no noticable increase with the jump from 25-27 grains

Just my opinion though try out some different things and find what you like.

eperk
04-21-13, 08:10
Has anyone noticed that it actually helps reduce copper fouling?

clark98ut
04-21-13, 19:58
John Barsness over on 24hourcampfire has used it quite a bit and says it does work. He also said that a lot of powders have had a copper "eraser" in them for years, that this isn't anything new.

He also pointed me toward a good load.

Magelk
04-21-13, 20:11
i dont shoot 69grn but i loaded up 1k of remington 56grn over 25-27 grains of CFE223 and they are smokin' hot! i dont know how accurate the chrono was i borrowed from a friend but i had ranges from 3020 to 3300 FPS. Shot out of a 16inch BFH BCM standard profile barrel.

I noticed a huge jump in recoil over the normal PMC shit i normally shoot but that stuff is under pressured as it is.

Accuracy was good enough for me, but am just looking to minuet of asshole out at 100-200 yards with my Eotech.

If I could load it over again I would have just stayed at the 25 grain mark as i saw no noticable increase with the jump from 25-27 grains

Just my opinion though try out some different things and find what you like.

I think I'd be looking real hard at those cases if I got 3300 with a 16 inch barrel. That sounds way hot.

markm
04-22-13, 08:34
Has anyone noticed that it actually helps reduce copper fouling?

The only guns I have that I care about copper fouling would never get ball powder anyway. :confused:

I've read that the "science" behind the notion is already deployed in other powders anyway.

clark98ut
04-22-13, 08:51
The only guns I have that I care about copper fouling would never get ball powder anyway.

Mark,

Could you explain your stance on this? Just curious as I shoot a lot of ball powders in a wide range of rifles.

Thanks,

Dan

markm
04-22-13, 08:57
Mark,

Could you explain your stance on this? Just curious as I shoot a lot of ball powders in a wide range of rifles.

Thanks,

Dan

A lot of the precision riflesmiths and one of the European barrel makers have stated that ball powders leave a much harder carbon fouling.

Now the riflesmith we use likes Win 748 for his .223 loads... :confused:

Ball powders are a little more rugged and meter better and for sure, have their place.... but on non chrome lined barrels, I prefer to keep it to extruded powders.

clark98ut
04-22-13, 09:51
Gotcha, I was just curious. I've got a handful of custom rifles and I've never really noticed a difference between ball and extruded powders. Right now I'm shooting Ramshot Hunter in my 260AI, H4350 in my 6XC, and then RL17 in my '06, so I'm not ball powder-only by any stretch. I do prefer the ball powders for how well they meter, but extruded powders aren't terrible by any means.

Magelk
04-22-13, 13:01
I use H4831sc in my 280 and I always wished more extruded powders came "short cut." The H4831sc meters almost as nice as ball powders. I'm curious if making them "short cut" is all that difficult. I have noticed recently that Hogdons has added a few more powders to the sc lineup.

jstone
04-22-13, 13:08
A lot of the precision riflesmiths and one of the European barrel makers have stated that ball powders leave a much harder carbon fouling.

Now the riflesmith we use likes Win 748 for his .223 loads... :confused:

Ball powders are a little more rugged and meter better and for sure, have their place.... but on non chrome lined barrels, I prefer to keep it to extruded powders.

ball powders are double base powders. double base powders contain nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. single base powders have only the nitrocellulose base without the added nitroglycerin. single base powder degrade easier where the double base powders are more resistant to deterioration.

generally double base powders burn rate is controlled by coatings whereas the single based powders burn rate is controlled by the size of the granule.

double base powder also have more energy grain for grain, but they also burn hotter and longer which can erode throats faster than a single base powder near the same burn rate.

there is a ton of info on single vs. double base powders. im with markm on not using a lot of ball powders. i have some ball powders but i prefer extruded powders.

markm
04-22-13, 13:12
Ah... so there is a durability factory in the double base sphericals. I had read that somewhere, but wasn't exactly sure.

ra2bach
04-23-13, 07:58
Gotcha, I was just curious. I've got a handful of custom rifles and I've never really noticed a difference between ball and extruded powders. Right now I'm shooting Ramshot Hunter in my 260AI, H4350 in my 6XC, and then RL17 in my '06, so I'm not ball powder-only by any stretch. I do prefer the ball powders for how well they meter, but extruded powders aren't terrible by any means.

changing the grain size changes burn characteristics and takes more than just cutting extruded powders shorter. I use 4831SC in my .280 also (along with RL19) and while I will take the last 1/2 lb. in a can and mix it up with a new can, I don't mix 4831 and 4831 SC...

markm
04-23-13, 08:23
I don't mix 4831 and 4831 SC...

I don't mix those either, but I've used them interchangeably.

eperk
04-23-13, 12:05
I don't mix those either, but I've used them interchangeably.

Good catch.