PDA

View Full Version : ditch Magpul trigger guard?

advntrjnky
04-19-13, 20:22
A few years back I was building a lower and thought I would try the latest and greatest new trigger guard and went with the Magpul aluminum. I wasn't really out anything, because I don't buy LPKs. I have a container with all the pins/ springs/ mag catches/ screws/ FCGs I bought in bulk years ago to ensure I always have whats needed on hand. Well, long story short, I've come to the realization that I prefer the USGI trigger guard on my other rifle better. I don't like how the Magpul puts slight down pressure on my middle finger and minutely alters my grip......Anybody else prefer the standard guard over some of the improved ones?

advntrjnky

michael word
04-19-13, 20:31
For me, I have never understood the need for an "improved" trigger guard.

themighty9mm
04-19-13, 20:35
I have the magpul one aswell. For me its sole purpose is to fill in the gap between the grip and the guard. I can do without it, but it was a very simple, cheap fix to a, at times irritating problem.

Dave L.
04-19-13, 20:49
No.
I have a bin full of standard USGI trigger guards because all my lowers use the Magpul one.
I would say keep it, much more comfortable and ergonomic. Probably stronger too.

samuse
04-19-13, 20:57

Word.

Colt trigger guard and an Ergo Gapper.

The Magpul trigger guard doesn't fill the gap all that great and they look gay.

masakari
04-19-13, 21:03
trigger guards on my rifles must fill the gap, and provide enough room for a gloved trigger finger.
The Magpul aluminum trigger guard does both, unlike the plastic MOE version that i found to never fill the gap adequately.
but if you dont like the downward force of the angle of the trigger guard, check out a trigger guard like the RRA winter version, which is flat toward the rear. I use/used one and liked it alot.
currently, I use the following pistol grip/trigger guard combos on my rifles:

MIAD with integrated trigger guard
BCM Mod1 pistol grip with standard trigger guard and ERGO gapper
Troy enhanced control grip, sanded a bit and with the nub cut off, with a KAC combat trigger guard

I suggest looking at other trigger guards and picking the one that works best for you.

Stickman
04-19-13, 21:06
ditch Magpul trigger guard?

Why keep something that doesn't work for you? Swap it out and move on.

advntrjnky
04-19-13, 21:21
I did have a RRA style winter guard for a bit on one rifle but found the over-emphasized drop would make too much contact with the front of my finger and took out a few chunks before i de-horned it...it's now in the parts bin.

The Magpul will be getting swapped as soon as I try a BCM mod1 grip to see how they work together.

advntrjnky

halfmoonclip
04-19-13, 21:38
Word.

Colt trigger guard and an Ergo Gapper.

Cast this in bronze and shine a library light on it.
The other concern with the curved guards is the ability to get your glove between the guard and the trigger, tying things up.
For cold weather use, remove the gapper, and swing the trigger guard down as Stoner intended.
Moon

Quiet-Matt
04-19-13, 21:42
I've found the stock trigger guard with a gapper is the way to go for me as well. The MagPull guard had a sharp edge that I had to file down. Doesn't really get cold enough here to wear thick gloves, so the enhanced trigger guars serve no purpose.

P2000
04-19-13, 21:44
If you want a free USGI trigger guard, PM me...I'll drop it in the mail.

The "gap" must be filled, either with a magpul trigger guard or a gapper.

officerX
04-19-13, 22:37

This.

I don't have the problem you've encountered, so I prefer the Magpul one. But if it's bothering you, switch it out.

Roadblock
04-19-13, 22:53
Absolutely LOVE Magpul's trigger guards because of the way they fill the gap.

However I like the way the Knights Armament version sits on my middle figure. I do not like the gap though. The KAC version doesn't fill the gap the way the Magpul version does.

Recently I bought a BCM Gunfighter MOD 1 rifle grip which includes a little piece that covers the gap and I LOVE this combo now more then the Magpul one. Still like the Magpul's but the KAC with a grip that covers the gap is awesome.

I can not STAND the standard GI trigger guard though. The edges are sharp and they cut into my finger.

Rockhopper
04-19-13, 23:08
is there anything wrong with a magpul moe compared to some other aluminum one? the magpul moe is all i have experience with. am i missing out on something?

VLODPG
04-19-13, 23:08
I'm a fan of the stock trigger guard along with a TD grip!

Go with what works for you!

I love all the guys who used to come into the shop & buy a AR type rifle & want to change out half the parts on it before they walk out the door!

Plenty of stock parts for spares!

twistedcomrade
04-19-13, 23:16
Magpul trigger gauards are a standard on almost all of my rifles. I find it especailly useful on my Colt 9mm AR because the recoil pulse if different from 5.56 ARs and the factory trigger cut into my left handed shooting finger more on this rifle. I have Magpul trigger gaurds on all of my ARs except for my SP1. YMMV.

BufordTJustice
04-19-13, 23:26
No.
I have a bin full of standard USGI trigger guards because all my lowers use the Magpul one.
I would say keep it, much more comfortable and ergonomic. Probably stronger too.

Not to poke fun, but if somebody hasn't run their AR hard enough to create a huge blister on their middle finger, they probably aren't training very hard. ;)

Having created said blister several times over, I upgraded to the MP trigger guards and never looked back. Virtually every aftermarket trigger guard accomplishes this goal, as does an ERGO "gapper".

Quentin
04-19-13, 23:40
Another fan here of the standard GI trigger guard and a gapper. My three ARs are set up that way, I don't care if newer guards are cool.

Zach
04-20-13, 00:33
The KAC version doesn't fill the gap the way the Magpul version does.

There is a new one from KAC that fills the gap.

https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/e3-combat-trigger-guard/

Ayan at boltcarrier.com is a great guy to deal with.

Rattlehead
04-20-13, 02:38

I have always preferred the KAC trigger guards. They have always felt more comfortable and natural to me than the Magpul trigger guards.

Airhasz
04-20-13, 04:50
Another vote for the KAC trigger guard, nice piece for what it is...

ra2bach
04-20-13, 12:36
is there anything wrong with a magpul moe compared to some other aluminum one? the magpul moe is all i have experience with. am i missing out on something?

for some reason the MOE doesn't fill the gap the way the enhanced aluminum one does.

this doesn't make much difference to the guy who takes his gun to the range for a few rounds but unless you wear gloves, and/or you've got tape around that middle finger, by the end of your first training day, you'll see the difference.

my favorite is the MIAD grip with the front insert that has the trigger guard built in. it's a smooth unbroken piece but they don't make that any more...

ra2bach
04-20-13, 12:39
Not to poke fun, but if somebody hasn't run their AR hard enough to create a huge blister on their middle finger, they probably aren't training very hard. ;)

Having created said blister several times over, I upgraded to the MP trigger guards and never looked back. Virtually every aftermarket trigger guard accomplishes this goal, as does an ERGO "gapper".

wait... you're saying Dave L doesn't run his AR hard enough???

Todd00000
04-20-13, 12:40

I agree...never knew about the gap or any other trigger guard "problems" until I joined this site.

Todd00000
04-20-13, 12:44

".

When I have "run my AR hard" either in training or combat I have too many other things to worry about.

ra2bach
04-20-13, 12:47
I agree...never knew about the gap or any other trigger guard "problems" until I joined this site.

well either you're a special snowflake, or you don't handle your gun the way I do... even with gloves, a full day of multiple drills and reloads, and I get the beginnings of a blister. I carry a small roll of 1/2" med tape in my snivel gear pouch just for this...

1H11
04-20-13, 12:55

Don't spend another minute in debate. Just move on for what works for you.

Trajan
04-20-13, 13:00
I run a magpul trigger guard and a TD grip. No extensive time on the OEM set up. Yes, it still irritates my middle finger, but how often are you holding a rifle one handed? As far as I'm concerned, my strong hand is just there to pull the trigger, manipulate the safety, and drop the mag.

Grand58742
04-20-13, 13:01
My personal carbines are outfitted with the MOE trigger guards due to the aforementioned gap. Never tried the aluminum ones, but the MOE has always been okay for me.

However, since my work carbine cannot be modified with same, I went the Gapper route since it's small enough to go unnoticed by the powers that be. Both end up accomplishing the same goal, but the replacement of the trigger guard gave me a little practice in how to do it successfully without breaking off the ears on the lower. That may seem like a trivial item to replace, but still something that needs to be practiced.

Yeah, price difference in two is significant, but a little practice in working on ARs and a lot of added comfort level makes a difference. To each their own though and if it's not comfortable for you, who am I to say otherwise.

Failure2Stop
04-20-13, 13:03
I've used the MagPul trigger guard with no issues, but have grown to prefer the KAC after using them side by side. Nothing wrong with the MagPul, simply preference.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Nefarious79
04-20-13, 13:16
Last time on patrol, the first thing I noticed was lack of magpul trigger guard on the rifle if you have to hold a rifle at the low ready for hours on end you will definitely appreciate the magpul trigger guard.

BCM GF grips can solve this issue but Ive had to remove a lot of material make those grips comfortable

DIRTMAN556
04-20-13, 14:45
+1 for the Maggie-Pull. Originally I went purely for aesthetics. However as I got deeper into the sport, I realized why it was a good thing so swap out the stock guard.

jaxman7
04-20-13, 15:23

Sweet! Hadn't realized they came out with a new guard. I only use KAC trigger guards for a certain reason but that gap between the ears will tear the social finger up. Still have callous built up on the knuckle from it before I filled the space with epoxy. Will have to try this new guard.

-Jax

Hwikek
04-21-13, 00:56
I'm a fan of... a TD grip!

I find myself enjoying the Tango Down grip a lot, oddly enough I'm also a fan of the A2 :confused:

smoky
04-21-13, 01:40
I find myself enjoying the Tango Down grip a lot, oddly enough I'm also a fan of the A2 :confused:

I'm a fan of the A2 grip as well. I've tried others, but prefer the A2 after being stuck with it on my issued rifle. I guess I just got used to it.

As for the trigger guard, I've only used the standard USGI pattern. Never felt the need to change.

Hwikek
04-21-13, 02:15
I like the Magpul trigger guard. I prefer something like a Tango Down large but I can use an A2 and still hit what I'm aiming at. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a pair of hands that do that comfortably. I still change out all my A2 grips, if the price is right.

My least favorite is the Hogue. I just hate that grip with a passion. The finger grooves make my day turn from normal to enraged until I feel a grip that doesn't suck as much. I can even take the AK standard grip but the Hogue just feels like garbage to me.

Bowser
04-21-13, 02:22
I like the KAC trigger guards (I have both versions) because it doesn't use a set screw. I also don't really care about the gap it leaves either. Most of the time I just end up using the stock trigger guard anyways.

Dist. Expert 26
04-21-13, 10:44
After wearing a hole in my finger from my issued rifle, picking up my gun with the Magpul guard/hogue grip feels amazing. I've run stock guards with the gapper before, but in my opinion the Magpul guard is the way to go.

Hwikek
04-21-13, 10:48
Sounds about right to me.

naloxone
04-21-13, 11:37
Word.

Ergo Gapper.

I'd been through a dozen of these. Improved trigger guards to date: 1

CharlieMike
04-21-13, 19:03

Thanks for the mention Zach. I'm out of the trigger guards at the moment but I have an order for quite a few more.

I think I am one of the first people to point out the fact that they fill the gap now. It has always been my favorite trigger guard and they managed to make it perfect.

Berserkr556
04-21-13, 19:16
I prefer the Magpul trigger guard and all of my half dozen Bravo Co. ARs rock it and it isn't because of the gap.

markm
04-22-13, 09:49
Anybody else prefer the standard guard over some of the improved ones?

YES!!!

Awesome1228
04-22-13, 11:57
I'm fairly new to AR's so take this for whatever you want.

The ONLY setup I have used is the standard A2 grip with a magpul trigger guard, as this is how it was set up when I got it. I have had the rifle for about 18 months, have been to a couple of training classes and probably put 2500-3000 rounds through it. Not a ton of experience, but I have never had any reason to change anything on it, including the trigger guard or grip.

I guess just like others have said if something isn't working, change it. If everything is working, leave it alone.

HelloLarry
04-22-13, 13:35
Some of you guys just love to spend money. Even on useless crap. :p

Fold down the trigger guard if you are using gloves.

Stuff a foam earplug in the gap.

themighty9mm
04-22-13, 15:42
Some of you guys just love to spend money. Even on useless crap. :p

Fold down the trigger guard if you are using gloves.

Stuff a foam earplug in the gap.

Let me guess, your optic is held on by duct tape?
The little odds and ends hardly cost enough worth mentioning. At least in the grand scheme of the rifle. A brand X trigger guard, 20 bucks. Compared to the rifle itself, 1K or more. And for that 20 bucks. You get a permanent solution to a minor problem. And with it being glove ready you lose nothing.

SpeedRacer
04-22-13, 16:03
I prefer the Magpul trigger guards, although I prefer the MOE version.
I had the aluminum one for a minute and it would cut the crap out of my finger, it was actually a downgrade from the standard TG. The MOE works well though, offers benefit with no consequence and costs a whopping $8.

CoryCop25
04-22-13, 16:08
I'm not partial to any specific trigger guard. I do, however, require something on there that won't make my finger bleed on high round count days.

MistWolf
04-22-13, 16:11
...Stuff a foam earplug in the gap.

As earplugs come in pairs, one goes in the gap and the other used between the upper & lower so they don't rattle. Now, if only they'd make earplugs in Tactical Black :jester: