PDA

View Full Version : B5 Bravo or SOPMOD for BCM LW 14.5 mid w/NSR 13.5" rail??

Falz24
04-20-13, 00:13
I just got a BCM 14.5 middy with the lightweight barrel. I will be putting a 13.5 NSR rail on it. I want the rifle to balance well and I'm torn between the B5 bravo and SOPMOD.

I'm worried that the bravo might be too light. Looking for people with similar builds using the bravo that could give some input. Thanks!!

grunz
04-20-13, 00:29
Balance is overblown, you aren't holding the rifle just at one place.

Either stock will be fine, buy the one you like the feel and looks of. The bravo is about 4oz lighter so that's a free aim point t1 in weight if you think about it.

I went though about 6 stocks over the years including the useless stupid heavy 1 pound!!! magpul ACS with "Enhanced" butt pad boat anchor until I realized that a stock do the most part is just something you shove up into your shoulder and cheek before firing. Now I run a modified cut down VLTOR Mod stock that weighs just under 5 ounces. This is on a 16 inch noveske gun with a 13.5 nsr with an SF fury all the way forward. I like the weight savings too since i have a heavy elcan optic. Bottom line, IMO no stock on a carbine should weigh more than 8 ozs like a MOE or a B5 Sopmod Bravo. Also remember to move your stock back out a few positions on the buffer tube, this is better for your control of the rifle and yes it makes the balance better without adding weight.

Bigninja
04-20-13, 00:42
Balance is overblown, you aren't holding the rifle just at one place.

Either stock will be fine, hoos jobe you like the feel and looks of. the bravo is about 4oz lighter so that's a free aim point t1 in weight.

I feel the same way, except when the rifle is very front heavy. That's usually due to a bunch of needless crap on it or the noveske kx3. Since you already have the nsr rail and lightweight barrel why not just go with a ctr stock? You'll save even more weight.

grunz
04-20-13, 00:47
Yep, best way to balance a rifle is to get rid of shit, not add more shit. :)

With the 13.5 NSR I even managed to ditch a stubby VFG, that's another 5 ounces.

BTW the CTR actually weight more than a Sopmod bravo, it's also more expensive and doesn't have a rotation limiter in the QD cup. IMO the B5 bravo makes the CTR obsolete

Bigninja
04-20-13, 01:40

With the 13.5 NSR I even managed to ditch a stubby VFG, that's another 5 ounces.

BTW the CTR actually weight more than a Sopmod bravo, it's also more expensive and doesn't have a rotation limiter in the QD cup. IMO the B5 bravo makes the CTR obsolete

Hmmm I would have thought the ctr or moe would have been lighter. I'd still rather have the ctr since it isn't as bulky on the sides.

grunz
04-20-13, 01:52
MOE and Bravo are both around 8 oz.

* half the weight of useless ACS. :)

RCI1911
04-20-13, 08:02
By "balancing well" do you want an even balance or it to be slightly butt heavy? I've got a BCM 14.5" LW middy with a Moe handguard. I've currently got an Ergo F93 on it and I like the butt heavy balance. I've also had a Moe on it and it balanced pretty even. I think that you'll want something a little heavier on the back if you don't want the gun nose heavy.

ra2bach
04-20-13, 12:55

I'd rather not have a rotation limiter in the stock QD cup...

ScatmanCrothers
04-20-13, 14:14

I'm right there with you. I appreciate it on my nsr qd but I prefer a free range of movement at the stock. It has me considering other options besides my Bravo.

bnanaphone
04-20-13, 15:39
I have a similar gun, BCM 16" LW with Vtac TRX Extreme 13" rail. I am currently running a B5 Bravo and it feels really good. I also have a Magpul ACS (similar weight as the SOPMOD) and swapping back and forth to compare, there is noticeably more rear weight with the ACS. The light Bravo stock just becomes invisible on the gun and makes the whole thing feel better.

I do prefer the cheek weld of the ACS or SOPMOD but the weight of the Bravo makes it a better stock on my LW gun.

SWThomas
04-20-13, 18:05
I thought the Bravo B5 is called SOPMOD?... I have one on my rifle and it is very light. But that doesn't bother me because the more front heavy it is the better it'll stay on target when firing.

jaxman7
04-20-13, 20:48
This balance thing is a little overblown in my opinion. Unless you have an absurd amount of crap on the front I wouldn't worry about it too much.

With that said buy the Bravo first. Its cheaper. If you like it then well your out less money. Plus if you don't like it the Bravo is in much greater demand right now than the SOPMOD so selling it will be easier.

-Jax

nickdrak
04-20-13, 20:59
I'm running the B5 Bravo on my 14.5“ BCM LW Middy with 13.5" NSR and I am very happy. I'm running an Eotech EXPS and a WOTG 2 point adjustable on it as well. I'll post a pic later....

Redbeardsong
04-21-13, 03:03

Why? Serious question.