PDA

View Full Version : AK aftermarket sight options (not scope)

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 17:07
I'm considering a new set of sights for my Bulgy '74.

I see that XS makes a front post that looks like the Trijicon offerings for the AR for $70. They also offer a rear that looks exactly like their wide "V" that is available on handguns with the vertical white stripe. That's an additional $50.

Another option is Meprolight- I've found them for the '47 and it's basically a 3 dot setup with a windage adjustable rear.

I've also seen the XS with a dot or big dot front.

XS Dot front and $50 rear:

http://www1.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/640x640x2/0a716ce5c581b11daa5f2272812e9493.jpg

XS Post:

http://www.xssights.com/store/pix/AK-247.jpg

Meprolights:

http://www.officerstore.com/store/products/20070625023956_Photo2.jpg

What do you guys think of adding these to an AK rifle?

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 17:26
I personally am not a fan; opinions wildly differ on this topic.

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 17:30
I personally am not a fan; opinions wildly differ on this topic.

Stock sights only?

rubberneck
03-25-08, 17:38
Stock sights only?

Just food for thought. A good gunsmith could open the rear sight for you making the stock ones more user friendly.

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 17:39
I thought about that too. Even doing it myself with a vice and something fab'd up to hold a 1/8" file nice and centered.

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 17:52
Stock sights only?

They seem to work fine, especially as BUIS. I prefer the Micro Aimpoint route.

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 17:54
That's like $100 + $450?

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 18:06
That's like $100 + $450?

The Aimpoint Micro (on an UltiMAK) does exactly what I want it to do: increase the effectiveness of the AK platform several times over. IMO it doesn't really matter how much it costs if I achieve my desired result.

Redmanfms
03-25-08, 18:08
That's like $100 + $450?

Yes. Assuming you are using a "open box" T-1 or a new H-1.

I'm using an UltiMAK + Micro T-1 on my 106FR and must say it seems to be the best option, though I've never tried express sights on an AK.

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 18:59
I wish. Paul (DamnYank) has an Ultimak with a FastFire on the way. Maybe I can give that a go.

But I really wanted to keep it clean and focus more on learning the sights.

But yeah, then I shouldn't mess with them but AK sights are universally known to be @$$.

SuicideHz
03-25-08, 18:59
The Aimpoint Micro (on an UltiMAK) does exactly what I want it to do: increase the effectiveness of the AK platform several times over. IMO it doesn't really matter how much it costs if I achieve my desired result.

Yes that's very true.

I'm poor...

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 19:08
I wish. Paul (DamnYank) has an Ultimak with a FastFire on the way. Maybe I can give that a go.

But I really wanted to keep it clean and focus more on learning the sights.

But yeah, then I shouldn't mess with them but AK sights are universally known to be @$$.

Several of us at the recent M4C class were quite easily and routinely nailing a steel reduced size IDPA target at around 175 yards with my bone stock AK-74M clone.

czydj
03-25-08, 20:50
Meprolights:

http://www.officerstore.com/store/products/20070625023956_Photo2.jpg

What do you guys think of adding these to an AK rifle?

This looks interesting. I might try these for my AK underfolder. One of the main reasons I went to an aimpoint on my underfolder is because the iron sights are terrible. I don't see them being easier or faster than an T-1 or H-1 on an ultimak, but very utilitarian. The high viz for very low cost has really got me interested...

thanks for the post!

Question is, where do you purchase the meprolights for the AK?

texasyid
03-25-08, 21:11
An AK is what it is. Adapt to the platform instead of trying to make the platform adapt to you.

TOrrock
03-25-08, 21:23
This looks interesting. I might try these for my AK underfolder. One of the main reasons I went to an aimpoint on my underfolder is because the iron sights are terrible. I don't see them being easier or faster than an T-1 or H-1 on an ultimak, but very utilitarian. The high viz for very low cost has really got me interested...

thanks for the post!

Question is, where do you purchase the meprolights for the AK?

As of a few years ago, Meprolight stated that they discontinued them.

If they're started up again, good news.

Redmanfms
03-25-08, 21:47
An AK is what it is. Adapt to the platform instead of trying to make the platform adapt to you.

:rolleyes:

Are you using a box-stock SP1?

Spooky130
03-25-08, 22:01
People either love or hate those Big Dot sights. At the Pat Rogers AK class I took a few weeks ago there were a couple people using the Big Dots. The best shooter in the class used them. I stuck with the stock sights. Those who were modifying the rear used two types of files - a triangular shaped one to initially open up the rear and then a round one to make a better rear "notch".

Spooky

texasyid
03-25-08, 22:16
I knew I was going to catch it for that remark and the answer is no I have a 6920 with an ACOG and I see your point. However back when I paid 315 for my first AR yes it was a NIB stock SP1. That is all there was. If you want to put zoot sights on your AK have at it.
I try to keep my mouth shut on this forum because everyone here knows way
more than I do. I do however have an opinion.

Redmanfms
03-26-08, 16:26
I knew I was going to catch it for that remark and the answer is no I have a 6920 with an ACOG and I see your point. However back when I paid 315 for my first AR yes it was a NIB stock SP1. That is all there was. If you want to put zoot sights on your AK have at it.

Like the AR, the AK has aftermarket parts available for it that greatly improve its effectiveness. I have no idea what "zoot sights" is supposed to mean, but I tend to think that the implication is that applying improvements to an AK is like dressing a gangbanger in a suit. If that's the case, you are just wrong.

I try to keep my mouth shut on this forum because everyone here knows way
more than I do. I do however have an opinion.

Feel free to have a differing opinion and expressing it, that you should remain silent was neither explicit nor implicit in my post.

Don't expect that people won't challenge you.

texasyid
03-26-08, 17:29
I welcome challenge in that I may learn from it and I respect your opinion.
If I am wrong that sure wouldn't be the first time. I certaintly meant no offense and apologize to everyone if I hijacked the thread.

SuicideHz
03-27-08, 18:04
I welcome challenge in that I may learn from it and I respect your opinion.
If I am wrong that sure wouldn't be the first time. I certaintly meant no offense and apologize to everyone if I hijacked the thread.

Like I'm told every day here, if you think your comment will tick people off, don't make it. ;)

SuicideHz
03-29-08, 21:43
You know what, after spending the day at Knob Creek today and getting to shoot at bowling pins and such at 50-100m, I must say the AK sights on my '74 aren't that bad. They are basically like holding a pistol a little too close to your face but very usable.

I spent a little time aiming and the rest of the time honing my "bumping" skills.

The ARFcom crowd was there today and I was doing so well at bumping from the shoulder with the '74 (strings of 20-30) they thought I had a post sample FA '74.

Hey, 20-30 is good for me, from the shoulder considering I can't practice that around here in NW IN.

I have to say after firing an MP5, MP5SD, UMP, G36E, G36K and a G33, I like HK sights much better than the AKs...

Alaskapopo
03-29-08, 22:11
I am kind of partial to these sights.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/IM000930.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-30-08, 02:40
As of a few years ago, Meprolight stated that they discontinued them.

If they're started up again, good news.

brownells is carrying a version of them

Fail-Safe
03-30-08, 13:55
All of my AKs, except my Hungarian, use the XS post. I do not open the rear up any, because it isnt needed IMO. My accuracy improved because the stock rear on my SAR1s was way too wide for a normal font sight. letting in so much light that the front sometimes washed out.

Paul Gomez was trying out the XS Big Dot AK site awhile back, and he was very happy with them. Still is so far as I know.

decodeddiesel
03-31-08, 11:26
I am kind of partial to these sights.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/IM000930.jpg

Do you have a link to where you purchased them?