PDA

View Full Version : First AR. Buy ASAP or wait 'till AWB dies?

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 18:51
So we were very close to buying our first AR, but then a friend stated that it would make more sense to wait until the AWB scare ends. And if it doesn't, then just wait out the AWB itself, assuming it lives a short life like the '94. This one opinion effectively brought any chance of my family getting an AR to a screeching halt. So I'm interested to here more opinions. Would it be wise to wait on the assumption that the AWB will fail, or should we go for it? Thanks.

-Aiden

wakebrdr142
04-21-13, 19:00
Deals are out there. You just have to look and be resourceful. The only wait required is the time it takes to find that deal. Good Luck.

PatrioticDisorder
04-21-13, 19:06
Any "AWB" is dead for the foreseeable future along with any other federal anti 2a legislation. That said, prices have come down, are coming down and are already close to baseline levels on many models. Shop around, some dealers are selling for significantly under MSRP already.

rdsii64
04-21-13, 19:16
Any "AWB" is dead for the foreseeable future along with any other federal anti 2a legislation. That said, prices have come down, are coming down and are already close to baseline levels on many models. Shop around, some dealers are selling for significantly under MSRP already.Hopefully this is a prelude to ammo and components getting back to normal levels in the stores. My ammo/component buying have slowed way down because that stuff is pretty scarce.

NeoNeanderthal
04-21-13, 19:19
It is still hard to find complete AR's in stores at a decent price. However, you can buy quality complete guns or atleast uppers (DD and BCM) on an almost daily basis. Subscribe to the "Official where can i get it thread" and get yourself a BCM 16" upper or something. Then go from there.

The panic is over.

u_not_i
04-21-13, 19:23
Any "AWB" is dead for the foreseeable future along with any other federal anti 2a legislation.
Respectfully, never underestimate Progressives. The focus only has to shift to a state by state campaign. The signs of that can already be seen.

Berserkr556
04-21-13, 19:31
Buy a Bravo Co. and don't look back. Yes i've drank the koolaid and it is awesome ! That's because they build the Best, ship with a quickness and have the BEST customer service. The only other folks i've dealt with who had great customer service was G&R Tactical.

RelliK
04-21-13, 19:32
+1 , BCM Mid Length.

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 20:03
Thanks for all the advice. I will try to find a deal on a BCM middy, but the MSRP on those is out of our budget for our first carbine.

jstalford
04-21-13, 20:10
What's your budget?

Barron_1
04-21-13, 20:11
Depending on where you live and your budget, I would wait. If BCM is out of reach give it a couple of months. Maybe colt 6920 and add a nice rail and some extras later? I have learned from this forum, and from experience, that it is best to get what you need the first time. I'd say you have time to save a bit and let the prices fall.

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 20:16
Budget is about $1160, I was thinking RRA. I hear what you guys are saying about getting the best first time around though.

3O8Junkie
04-21-13, 20:17
What is your budget?
If BCM is out of your reach have you considered a basic Colt 6920? They can be found at Wal Mart and other large retailers for around $1097 and you wont find anyone here questioning the quality of that rifle choice.

3O8Junkie
04-21-13, 20:18
Budget is about $1160, I was thinking RRA. I hear what you guys are saying about getting the best first time around though.

Colt> RRA all day every day. With that budget get a Colt my friend.

Magelk
04-21-13, 20:18
Buy now. Watch the thread stickied above.

Barron_1
04-21-13, 20:20
Someone posted earlier today about seeing a colt 6920 for around 1200 at wal-mart. I haven't seen that yet, but you would be a lot happier if you could score that. Its coming back around to normal. And normal is getting a gun that is a good bit better than RRA for the same, or just a little more cash. Just my opinion. If you do go RRA, there is a lot of great info on M4C that will help you enhance it.

PatrioticDisorder
04-21-13, 20:23
Respectfully, never underestimate Progressives. The focus only has to shift to a state by state campaign. The signs of that can already be seen.

Agreed, that is why I stated federal.... But unfortunately if/when they gain more power federally they will be back at it, with a vengeance. With the right politicians in power, we need to go on the offensive and push for more freedom, less restrictions. Places where we can concealed carry being taken off the verboten list is good on the state level, getting rid of the NFA, GCA & FOPA would be great goals on the federal level.... And with enough education, I think it's possible.

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 20:25
Yeah, see the whole thing with Rock River is that I can get my custom setup right off the bat for about the price of a stock 6920.

discreet
04-21-13, 20:34
Yeah, see the whole thing with Rock River is that I can get my custom setup right off the bat for about the price of a stock 6920.

If you want to go budget get an S&W. Wasting time with a rock river will just end up getting you a sub par gun, that you will ultimately end up ditching for a better gun anyways. Always best to do stuff the right way the first time.

Also, like others have mentioned, the AWB and Magazine ban are done with. No scare anymore, and nothing to worry about... well for now at least.

HardLuck682
04-21-13, 20:38
I was at my LGS and saw a DD M4V7 for $1300. Good deals are out there, as long as shop aren't still inflating prices.

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 20:39
Oh I forgot to mention, I live in Colorado. So I need to get going before July when laws like the mag ban go into effect. So I don't know how long I can wait for a deal.

El Pistolero
04-21-13, 20:47
I would rather have the higher quality Colt with no accessories than an RRA at any price. The commercial-spec ARs cut too many corners in materials and QC. If you only intend to shoot 100 rounds a month at some cans the RRA will be fine. If you plan to use it for any kind of defense or serious training course the RRA will reveal it's shortcomings.

OldState
04-21-13, 20:52
I've been getting tons of emails from CDNN. They even claim to have Colts.

VIP3R 237
04-21-13, 20:55
Please do yourself a favor and push the notion of purchasing a rra out of your mind right now. They are a substandard rifle that utilize poor materials and manufacturing processes.

Be patient and wait for a colt, dd, bcm, or even a s&w.

Barron_1
04-21-13, 21:01
Buy mags while you can. By the Colt when you can. You will hate life if you get the RRA and then realize you want something more after a ban has taken effect. Buy mags.

el_chupo_
04-21-13, 21:05
You should be able to buy a BCM upper/BCG for $729 right now (16" middy, LW) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw.htm)

Then pick up a MOE handguard, and keep an eye out for a lower. Seekins from DSG arms shows up regularly, and PSA has lowers in stock right now. (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ar15-lower.html)

Add in a LPK or build kit, and you should be able to beat your budget pretty easily, right now.

No FCG (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit-without-fire-control-group.html)

Ready to build, in FDE (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/psa-str-lower-build-kit.html)

SteveS
04-21-13, 21:25
Wait !!! Let the guns and ammo get back to somewhat normal.

SteveS
04-21-13, 21:28
We must keep vigilant and send $$$$ to the pro 2nd amendment organizations. Keep up on writing our representatives and thank the ones that voted to keep our 2nd amendment alive.

Aiden Fontana
04-21-13, 21:28
Wow el_chupo, thanks for the links, that was extremely helpful.

kiwi57
04-21-13, 21:31
I can speak only for myself as a “newcomer” to the AR15—the M16A1 in BCT hardly counts—I was issued an S&W Model 10 on flight status. But I am glad I listened to the wisdom/advice on M4carbine that made clear that I didn’t know what I needed or why. I only wanted—especially after seeing cool JPGs. The best advice I read was to buy a stock whatever—Colt, BCM, DD, etc., familiarize myself, and then think about my needs. In a nutshell, buy a quality, proven foundation and go from there.

For me, purchasing a stock 6920 was my first step. I became familiar with it by using it—a lot. Then I began to think about what role(s) I wanted it to fulfill. This led me to add just a few things, after a lot of research. I also picked up consumables—ammo, magazines, replacement parts, spare bolt/BCG over the past year or two that have really come in handy as I picked up a PSA, FN-barreled middy and a BCM upper.

Made a couple mistakes—but not many. I don’t consider buying several grips and stocks a mistake as they are highly user specific and a bit of trial and error is a given. Rail covers also fall into this category for me. Now I have 2.5 carbines—soon to be 3 after my BCM lower from G&R is delivered. I can’t imagine what the hell I would have wound up with if it were not for the knowledge here.

Prices for proven AR rifles/carbines are moderating, and as has been mentioned above, they’re getting closer to pre December 2012 levels. So probably patience and a ready credit card are what’s needed. If you are committed to an AR purchase soon, you might want to also keep an eye on internet 5.56 ammo prices at the same time to recognize a reasonable deal when you see it.

Worked so far for me, may or may not work for you.

Kiwi57

7.62WildBill
04-21-13, 21:32
This is in stock at G&R now, M&P-15 Midlength Magpul MOE.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=311054

1H11
04-21-13, 21:35
+1 , BCM Mid Length.

I agree buy once and shoot the shit out of it.

el_chupo_
04-21-13, 21:44
Happy to help, but keep in mind little things like:

rear sight
mags
fore grip/stock/pistol grip you may want to change

The S&W MOE is a great gun too (as posted by 7.62wildbill)

Things are starting to show up, so get in on the deals thread. I picked up an LMT lower a couple days ago from Rainier, they were available for $351 then - lots of ways to get in under budget.

Good luck!

weez440
04-21-13, 21:57
even through this panic i ended up building up 2 more ar's and ended up not paying high prices for either one and used all quality components, mostly bcm products. like others have said be patient you can get a quality colt or bcm in your price range.