PDA

View Full Version : Any Practical Use For 33rd Glock Mags?

Father of 3
04-21-13, 21:12
Just wondering if there's any practical use for the 33rd G18 mags? My LGS has a couple in at a reasonable price and I thought about getting one due to all the rage to grab up all high cap mags.

But then I wonder, is there and practical use to them? I ask this because I could buy two 17 round mags for the same price. I wanted to get some feedback from you all first to see what you had to say about the matter.

Thanks.

nimdabew
04-21-13, 21:17
If I had an AR that took Glock mags, I would pick up three or four. Other than that, no. I would be at least 10 17-rounders before picking up a single G18 magazine.

[/tapatalk]

officerX
04-21-13, 21:23
2 scenarios

1. SHTF
2. Less reloading time at the range. Go with all your mags loaded and start shooting. If you need to reload, reload the 15 rounders.

sL1m
04-21-13, 21:25
I have 8 9mm Glocks, not single 33rd mag. Don't have a need for them. I have like over 50 17rd mags though as they're more practical.

Schmidtty
04-21-13, 21:45
Absolutely practical.

They practically give strokes to most anti-gunners that I've ever heard who see how "evil" those extended magazines look.

Good enough reason for me to own several... :smile:

1H11
04-21-13, 21:45
Only used at the range......nothing more. Save your money and get standard mags and work on reloaded.

Split66
04-21-13, 22:01
I've heard of LEOs carrying them as backup mags. There was just an article the other day about a cop carrying more ammo now after getting in a gunfight and nearly running dry.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Obviously for normal CCW they are not very practical ( is that a 33 rounder in your pants? LOL ), but for some extra firepower you can stash in a go bag etc. they have a usage so you'll have to make that call dependent on your needs. I keep a few around, and the factory ones have functioned very well in my G19.

thei3ug
04-21-13, 22:07
Carbines.

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-21-13, 22:17
I registered a G17 as a SBR and put a ENDO stock on it. I use 33 round mags in it.

why? - because I can.

T2C
04-21-13, 22:21
I can see a use for 33 round magazines if you own a carbine that accepts Glock magazines.

Wake27
04-21-13, 22:34
If you don't have a solid amount of regular mags I'd buy those first. I bought one a few months back though. Barely use it, but I just wanted it to have. I could see some potential use for it on a nightstand gun though...

RyanB
04-21-13, 23:00
I carry one at 11 o'clock in my waistband. Loose. When I carry appendix.

I also have one in a door pocket and one in my overnight bag, along with 15 round mags.

99HMC4
04-21-13, 23:23
I registered a G17 as a SBR and put a ENDO stock on it. I use 33 round mags in it.

why? - because I can.

Now suppress it.... ;)

donlapalma
04-21-13, 23:28
I bought one a while back because I found one for a good price. I have over 5k rounds through my G19 with the only malfunctions ever experienced were when using the 33 rounder. For me, it's fun for the range, but I would never trust it for anything more.

bigbang
04-21-13, 23:45
Any Practical Use For 33rd Glock Mags?
Would be practical for sure if the SHTF. Same deal with my 60 round surefire mags. :D

In all seriousness, natural disasters, civil unrest, etc., can and do happen. And while that might be rare or never happen to you there is nothing wrong with a contingency plan. Just in case only hurts the wallet but if you need it and don't have it then oh well.

DocH
04-22-13, 07:04
I've had just one for years and years,and have only used it twice mainly to check function. I have kept it in the vehicle on long road trips a couple of times,but other than that I consider it a novelty item for range fun. Mine is a 31 rounder without the extender.
Decent spare ammo carrier for some instances.

prdubi
04-22-13, 07:08
I carry them on my left side while biking for use on my g26.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Trajan
04-22-13, 07:16
I carry one at 11 o'clock in my waistband. Loose. When I carry appendix.

I thought you were joking when you said that earlier.

I use to think they were stupid, but they would go great in your side door. Once everything calms down I'll pick a few up to keep in the car.

jck397
04-22-13, 07:44
1) I work for a prosecutor's office where we can keep guns in safes. I keep one to grab in an active shooter scenario since I won't have extra mags on me.

2) Because it pisses off Feinstein and Pelosi.

3) That shit is fun!

Lost River
04-22-13, 08:12
While in most "normal" situations, I don't see a big use for one, a person never knows when they are going to be in an "abnomal" situation.

Besides that, there is always simply the fun factor. :) . Why not have one to go play with? They are not expensive, so buy one and go have fun with it. If after that you can think of a practical scenario that it would be used for, go for it.

04-22-13, 08:23
I don't own any, I have thought about it. I don't think it would take much imagination to foresee a situation where having 30+ rounds in one small package that can go right to work, right now, might be handy.
For a pistol cal carbine? No question, get one.

ST911
04-22-13, 08:48
I've found that one of the single biggest advantages to the extended magazines is the additional grasping surface afforded by the added length. This is particularly handy when retrieving them from deep pouches, gear/go bags, and other storage spaces not specifically designed for magazines. (This also applies to the use of the full size mags in compact and subcompacts.)

The 9mm 33rd mag is a bit lengthy depending on how it's carried. The 22rd .40 mag has more practical portability, and folks do carry them on duty and concealment rigs.

The most use my extended mags get is to transport additional quantities of ammo when flying.

Ghost 954RR
04-22-13, 08:57
The most use my extended mags get is to transport additional quantities of ammo when flying.

Last time I checked, mags have to be unloaded when in checked luggage.

jmnielsen
04-22-13, 09:01
I keep a couple in my car and a couple in my survival bag. Store easier than boxes of ammo and are ready to roll
When you need them.

ST911
04-22-13, 09:16
Last time I checked, mags have to be unloaded when in checked luggage.

In a word, no. (To avoid thread drift, please see previous threads on airline travel with firearms.)

Psalms144.1
04-22-13, 09:27
I have two of them that I picked up cheap a couple of years ago. I keep them topped up, one in the door panel of my work car next to my spare cuffs, and one on my nightstand "just in case."

If I was short on standard magazines for my Glocks (which I'm not, thank God), I'd fill that gap first - but I don't see a reason NOT to have a couple of these around...

Regards,

Kevin

Lost River
04-22-13, 09:34
Skintop is correct.

I have flown both as an armed passenger while working, as well as checking firearms and ammo in. In regards to the flying with Weps on commercial airlines, as previouly stated, the other threads will square ya away.

A 33 rounder would be a real PITA to wear concealed on a long commercial flight considering the size of the seats..

RyanB
04-22-13, 10:56
I thought you were joking when you said that earlier.

I use to think they were stupid, but they would go great in your side door. Once everything calms down I'll pick a few up to keep in the car.

Nope, serious. I tried 17s first but the baseplate dug in. 33s are comfortable.

MK75
04-22-13, 14:26
Absolutely practical, more plinking at the range and less reloading. Then there is always the hoard of zombies scenario. Who wants to conduct a speed reload at a time like that?

Crow Hunter
04-22-13, 14:47
I have owned some since 2004 right after the ban ended.

I used to keep one loaded in a Glock 34 with a TLR-1 light mounted as a nightstand gun.

Then, one night, I had a disturbance out in the woods behind the house where the dogs were going crazy. I was afraid it was a rabid animal so when I went to investigate I grabbed the 34 when I went.

That is when I found out it didn't work well for me. The gun kept getting hung up on stuff. I caught it on the fence, I caught it on tree limbs it really made the gun difficult to use compared to a standard length magazine.

I still have them, but I only bring them out for the "CDI factor" when I am out with friends.

I don't have a practical use for them, but they are fun to use on the range and they really piss off the antis.

Beat Trash
04-22-13, 17:16
Outside of use with a carbine, not really.

I bought two of them during the AWB, using my LEO ID. I thought it would be a valid idea. But It effected the balance of my Glock 19 enough to be an issue. I would be concerned about the magazine banging I to things when going through doors, and shooting from positions of cover.

But they are fun to shoot on the range, especially when pared with a Glock 26.

Gutshot John
04-22-13, 17:53
Practical use? Nice coin during a gun buying panic? ;)

When I carried a Glock, I kept a 33 rounder in my car as a high-cap reload. I sold all my 33 rounders with the recent panic.

I can see a potential use on an HD gun. Same practical use as a 60-100 round AR mag, more rounds is not a bad thing, but I don't use those either.

Suwannee Tim
04-22-13, 18:16

why? - because I can.

That sounds like fun. I have a Kriss SBR in the dealers safe, maybe I'll get a Glock 21. I bought some Asian knock off 27 round G21 mags that'll go with it.

LibertyNeverDies
04-22-13, 18:40
The Glock 18 and 33 round mag has sold a ton of Glocks. It is a great marketing tool. The 33 rounders are a lot of fun!

currahee
04-22-13, 18:48
When I'm traveling in unknown areas I have a 33 rounder in the glove box. I could probably dig up more than one news story of a guy getting pulled out of his car and beaten near to death when he wondered in to the wrong neighborhood.

I also have a Keltec carbine so I own more than that just one.

I have whipped one out during more than one pistol match when the guys shooting open class designed a stage with 30 or more steel plates.

There are plenty of practical reasons to want more bullets... did Dianne Feinswein get ahold of your password and make a troll post?

Kain
04-22-13, 18:53
Short of a carbine I don't see much practical use of a 33rd glock mag though they are fun and I do own a few, 5 to be exact. That said, I also have a 22rd .40 mag that I think is about the right size as an extended mag for practical use. Would like to see a 9mm version from the factory that is the same length. Would buy several.

jjw
04-22-13, 18:54
yes -- pisses the liberals off

yes --can u say keltec 2000 with a can. and yes i have the set up

yes -- because i can its AMERICA.

all 3 work for me.

Father of 3
04-22-13, 19:05
Thanks for the responses everyone. Keep them coming. I figured at $60 is was reasonable. I only have 3 17 round mags for my G17 and can't find any others. The same place that had the 33 rd mag had about 12-15 G19 mags and some of the 22 rd 40 mags you guys mentioned but nothing for G17.

I figure what the heck, one day I'll zombie it out with a 9" lone wolf barrel, a foregrip and a stock. Add a RMR and I'll be set. Just kidding, but an interesting concept.

dash1
04-22-13, 19:10
I buy whatever quality/OEM magazine is available. The last time I was able to find and buy magazines it was the 33 round version. I haven't used them much, but I'm glad I have them.

The longer magazine allows me to use a beer can grip, so it seems to me that they are easier/smoother to insert into the pistol than a regular magazine.

Crow Hunter
04-22-13, 19:15
Thanks for the responses everyone. Keep them coming. I figured at $60 is was reasonable. I only have 3 17 round mags for my G17 and can't find any others. The same place that had the 33 rd mag had about 12-15 G19 mags and some of the 22 rd 40 mags you guys mentioned but nothing for G17.

I figure what the heck, one day I'll zombie it out with a 9" lone wolf barrel, a foregrip and a stock. Add a RMR and I'll be set. Just kidding, but an interesting concept.

I would say buy them and try them out. They might work for you and your uses. They didn't for me the way I had envisioned them, but I still keep the around.:D

El Cid
04-22-13, 19:20
Absolutely practical.

They practically give strokes to most anti-gunners that I've ever heard who see how "evil" those extended magazines look.

Good enough reason for me to own several... :smile:

Precisely! I own a 33rd Glock mag, a 31rd USP 9 mag, and a 100rd Beta AR mag just because the libtards don't want us to.

That said, I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't already have a healthy stock of standard mags for those weapons.

RBid
04-23-13, 09:33
Anything but carry, and I suspect that a pistol with 33+1 is more realistic and desirable than a carbine in most short term SHTF scenarios than a carbine. Simply put, nobody is carrying a long gun unless society collapses. For high tension situations, such as during massive protests, having a concealable defensive tool with a 33/31rd spare is more practical.

Naturally, the best option is to avoid these scenarios, but if work takes you into the general area of an Occupy protest, you're stuck. Large groups of agitated and sometimes chemically altered minds can be volatile.

The_War_Wagon
04-23-13, 10:31
Their mere existence irritates Sarah Brady & Diane Whinestein to no end? :lol:

Crow Hunter
04-23-13, 12:25
Anything but carry, and I suspect that a pistol with 33+1 is more realistic and desirable than a carbine in most short term SHTF scenarios than a carbine. Simply put, nobody is carrying a long gun unless society collapses. For high tension situations, such as during massive protests, having a concealable defensive tool with a 33/31rd spare is more practical.

Naturally, the best option is to avoid these scenarios, but if work takes you into the general area of an Occupy protest, you're stuck. Large groups of agitated and sometimes chemically altered minds can be volatile.

That is actually a very good point. I hadn't really thought of that. It didn't work for me well as a primary magazine, but as a OH SHIT! I'M IN THIS DEEP reload it could be very useful.

I just wish it were about 1/2 the length even with a reduced capacity. I think it would be a little more practical.

cathellsk
04-23-13, 12:39
I just wish it were about 1/2 the length even with a reduced capacity. I think it would be a little more practical.

I agree. GLOCK makes a 22rd .40 mag thats not near as long as the 33rd 9mm mag. They should make one in 9mm that size holding about 25rds or so with a plus2 baseplate, that would be more practical.

one
04-26-13, 00:46
You bet I use them. Always keep two wedged down into the radio console of the work car, one in the home. And make sure to take one with me in the glovebox on out of town trips.

I never carry them in the gun concealed. I don't know why anyone would. But having that much ammunition in a factory reliable magazine on top of the basic high cap pistol mags. I don't see the bad in that option anywhere.

Magic_Salad0892
04-26-13, 03:56
Try G17 mags with Arradondo +5 baseplates. More practical.

Fordtough25
04-26-13, 07:38
I've had several of the 33 round mags but have traded them all off for standard 17 round mags. The longer mags are cool, handy at the range, and could be good as a backup for sure. But I still go for the standard sized mags. If I had a Kel tec S2K I may have kept a couple of them but I don't so...

Fireman1291
04-26-13, 11:19
I built a DDLES glock mag suppressed SBR to use my 33's :)

Fasstasheck
04-26-13, 11:38
I bought a couple recently after getting an email from a vendor I use telling me they had some in stock. For $33 I couldn't help but by a couple, even if just a novelty.

Chameleox
04-26-13, 13:30
I bought a couple recently after getting an email from a vendor I use telling me they had some in stock. For $33 I couldn't help but by a couple, even if just a novelty.

In a case like that, when they're pretty cheap, no reason to not pick at least one up, as long as you have enough of the regular mags. Same with the 22rnd G22s, and the Surefire 60s.

I'm a G22 guy; I like the 22 round mags, although they can be tough to load at times. Great for games, and for plinking/drills with fewer reloads. At work, I stick with the regular 15 rounders, though I could make the argument that, in a few scenarios, I'd load one or two up. Off the top of my head, shield work and low profile work where I'd want a long gun but can't due to environment/orders/concealability, all come to mind.

jmp45
04-26-13, 13:40
I'd like to own a couple but anything over 30 rds in Ohio is illegal.

skatz11
04-26-13, 14:59
I'd like to own a couple but anything over 30 rds in Ohio is illegal.

Ohio doses have some strange laws about magazines. Glad I'm in Kentucky now.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8637

You can own them, but not use them.

armed_zebra
04-26-13, 15:27
I've had one for a while and only used it a couple times at the range. To some, they can balance out the gun when shooting with a can.

Fail-Safe
04-26-13, 18:03
I wouldn't mind owning a pair of them, but they are so far down the priority list that I really don't think about them. I wouldn't mind having one for my nightstand gun.

SilverTongueDevil
04-27-13, 07:40
They are more practical than a 50 or 100 round drum...

They are concealable, offer a user in high stress situations the ablity to have 30 rounds on tap, reliability is a non issue...

Dan Goodwin
04-27-13, 09:34
In a case like that, when they're pretty cheap, no reason to not pick at least one up, as long as you have enough of the regular mags. Same with the 22rnd G22s, and the Surefire 60s.

I'm a G22 guy; I like the 22 round mags, although they can be tough to load at times. Great for games, and for plinking/drills with fewer reloads. At work, I stick with the regular 15 rounders, though I could make the argument that, in a few scenarios, I'd load one or two up. Off the top of my head, shield work and low profile work where I'd want a long gun but can't due to environment/orders/concealability, all come to mind.

We have issued Gen4 G23's now and I've several personal .40 Glocks.

Deeply regret not buying several of the 22-round mags before the latest Obama-driven panic. Things seem to be easing up some and plan on getting at least 6 when I find them in stock.

A buddy at work assigned to a fed task force carries two of the 22-rounders as reloads for his G22. He's been to Iraq twice with his Marine Reserve unit and seen much action. He is a strong advocate of packing many rounds for fights.

Only have one Gen2 G19, for which I carry a 33-rounder in my Max Gearslinger and truck door pocket. Am fixing to look for an Arredondo +5 or three right now; 20 rounds being a better plan than 15 for my spare on the Belt when off duty.

threeheadeddog
04-28-13, 19:03
I have one. It sits in a drawer and has never gotten used. It is the most impratical purchase I have ever made. Not to mention it will end up being an extremely expensive one once you figure in that I now have to buy an entire glock to put it in.

MountainRaven
04-28-13, 23:10
Isn't KRISS USA supposed to be doing a version of the Vector in 9mm?

There's a use.

Otherwise, like everyone else has said, I own one because it pisses libtards off. And to store spare ammo next to the bed.

Fail-Safe
04-28-13, 23:16
I have one. It sits in a drawer and has never gotten used. It is the most impratical purchase I have ever made. Not to mention it will end up being an extremely expensive one once you figure in that I now have to buy an entire glock to put it in.

Whattaya want for it? Like I said earlier, I'd atleast like to have two.

jpmuscle
04-29-13, 00:29
Fwiw I really wish someone made as similar extended capacity mag for the M&Ps, if for no other reason than because it can be done.

Mak8080
04-29-13, 00:54
It's an awesome range mag...that's for sure. I say the more rounds the better.:D

Fail-Safe
04-29-13, 22:35
Fwiw I really wish someone made as similar extended capacity mag for the M&Ps, if for no other reason than because it can be done.

I like the M&P9 17rd mag with the Taylor Freelance +10 attached to it.

WS6
04-30-13, 04:32
I keep one in the car. P for Plenty. Why NOT?

prdubi
04-30-13, 04:58
I have used my 33rdr durong some.matches...where it was allowed.
Perfectly legal I was told and no issues.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

GNXII
04-30-13, 05:25
Not practical for me but I picked up three when I thought a pistol carbine that used Glock mags was gonna be a distinct & imminent purchase. That and it gives the antis hives, foaming at mouth, etc. etc. Never used them and probably never will but I will keep them because I can! Ain't that enough reason ?!?!? ;)

bighawk
05-09-13, 22:07
I keep one in the side door of my truck and take it to the range every once in a while but no actual practical use unless you own a carbine that takes glock mags..

Dmaynor
05-09-13, 22:21
You shoot till a threat is stopped, not 2 in the chest and one in the head then re holster. I carry a spare mag everywhere, its not a 33rnd but its a G17 full size mag for the G19 I carry. I could see someone dropping a spent mag and inserting a 33rnd because you don't know what's waiting for you.

Here in Atlanta criminals often travel in packs. Downtown you will often get distracted by one person while 1 or 2 more sneak up while your back is turned and put a gun to your head. If you spot the decoy quickly you can bet his buddies on sweep up are probably 20-30 feet behind you. So make your choice, become a victim or try to be a ghetto gunfighter. Either way 33rnds would be helpful.

Note: I am not a ghetto gunfighter, I just know how uncomfortable it is to stop a mugging in progress with more than one attacker and wishing I had more than 15 rounds in my mag.

I practice, I go to training, I visualize how it would go but what if it comes down to shooting and I jerk the first shot. A bad guy is 15 feet away and I miss completely. No comments, it happens all the time, even to pros. By then the bad guy is surely firing and all that rehearsal goes out the window and I will be blinking, suddenly doubting everything I think I know and then your brain will scream very loudly to dump your mag. 14 more rounds gone in the blink of an eye and you are praying you got good hits. You hit mag release and grab your spare wouldn't it calm you a bit knowing you have 33 instead of 15?

Maybe it's just me and realizing how much my shooting skill degrades in stress situations.

Vulture38
05-09-13, 22:26
I would not object to having a couple. That said, it is not a priority on my wish list.

ST911
05-10-13, 09:03
For those carrying a G19, a useful but more size efficient extended mag option is a G17 mag with a (+) extension with 11-coil spring.

PA PATRIOT
05-10-13, 10:17
I collected twenty of them back when they were selling for $17.99ea if you purchased ten or more at a time some years ago. At first I really didn't have a true need to own them since I had a few dozen 17rders on hand. But considering the current political climate and the simple fact that I can have 620rds of 9mm H/P's loaded in twenty 33rd magazines (Each down loaded by 2rds for storage purposes) if nothing else offers some high volume firepower for the Glocks pistols should rifles be inaccessible or impracticable.

We all want 30rders for the AR's so what's the difference if the spares for are Glocks offer the same volume of fire when needed.

policetested
05-11-13, 15:56
Like many other things we own the practical reason to own a 33rd G17 magazine is simple...I WANT IT and I can afford it. All other reasons are just justifying that; its the same reason to own multiple 1911s or M&Ps, or ARs

Moose-Knuckle
05-11-13, 16:45
You shoot till a threat is stopped, not 2 in the chest and one in the head then re holster. I carry a spare mag everywhere, its not a 33rnd but its a G17 full size mag for the G19 I carry. I could see someone dropping a spent mag and inserting a 33rnd because you don't know what's waiting for you.

Here in Atlanta criminals often travel in packs. Downtown you will often get distracted by one person while 1 or 2 more sneak up while your back is turned and put a gun to your head. If you spot the decoy quickly you can bet his buddies on sweep up are probably 20-30 feet behind you. So make your choice, become a victim or try to be a ghetto gunfighter. Either way 33rnds would be helpful.

Note: I am not a ghetto gunfighter, I just know how uncomfortable it is to stop a mugging in progress with more than one attacker and wishing I had more than 15 rounds in my mag.

I practice, I go to training, I visualize how it would go but what if it comes down to shooting and I jerk the first shot. A bad guy is 15 feet away and I miss completely. No comments, it happens all the time, even to pros. By then the bad guy is surely firing and all that rehearsal goes out the window and I will be blinking, suddenly doubting everything I think I know and then your brain will scream very loudly to dump your mag. 14 more rounds gone in the blink of an eye and you are praying you got good hits. You hit mag release and grab your spare wouldn't it calm you a bit knowing you have 33 instead of 15?

Maybe it's just me and realizing how much my shooting skill degrades in stress situations.

This.

My EDC is G19; I keep one spare G17 mag on my person in the event I need a re-load. My bump in the night tool is a G17 with a mounted white light and a 33rd mag for the reasons you mentioned above. If it's go time I don't want to be fumbling about with multiple mags in the dark engaging a threat(s).

Kchen986
05-11-13, 16:59
I carry a 33rd mag loaded with JHPs as my reload.

svtpwnz
05-11-13, 17:14
They can be very practical if you are in a SHTF type scenario for sure. Will I ever find myself in that type of situation, probably not ever. I have six of them just because I can and it pisses off the anti's to the tenth degree. They are quite fun at the range I will have to admit and cuts down on having to reload mags.:p They have functioned well with no issues in all my 9mm Glocks. I recommend picking up a few if you don't have one and they are pretty reasonably priced now compared to a couple months ago.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/IMG_20130511_175548_zpsf91dbb48.jpg (http://s464.photobucket.com/user/honkonthree/media/IMG_20130511_175548_zpsf91dbb48.jpg.html)

Caeser25
05-11-13, 19:00
I have a couple for nightstand and range duty.

jmp45
05-11-13, 19:12
Living in Ohio, they are illegal. Is that to have and use or legal to have not to use? Do they make a 30 round 9mm mag?

Found these koreans...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/33-rd-mag-for-glock-17.aspx?a=556295

jmp45
05-11-13, 19:13

Never mind, thanks skatz

matemike
10-10-13, 20:52
Stumbled upon two of them on tuesday.
I was at the same place today, since they were still there, I figured why not. I have them now, can't take that away. :D

Abraham
10-11-13, 16:20
I was never interested in owning a 33 rd mag - now I am...

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-13, 16:39
Living in Ohio, they are illegal. Is that to have and use or legal to have not to use? Do they make a 30 round 9mm mag?

Found these koreans...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/33-rd-mag-for-glock-17.aspx?a=556295

In Ohio its legal to own them but illegal to insert into a firearm.

JBecker 72
10-11-13, 17:06

What?

jpmuscle
10-11-13, 17:43
What?

Total mindf*** if you ask me.

People should go to jail for crafting stupid, illogical, dumbass laws.

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-13, 17:46

I've explained the situation to a state representative who is open to the cause of removing the magazine capacity restriction here in Ohio.

We'll see if it goes anywhere in the state house.

yoni
10-11-13, 18:42
I have a bunch of them. I don't see much use for them in the USA under normal conditions.

I do however have a bunch of them in Afrika that stay in the jeep.

Scotter260
10-11-13, 23:25
Carry your Glock 17 on-duty, replace 17-rounders with 33 rounders in the pistol and your mag pouch, walk into coffee and see if any of your co-workers notice - totally practical and moderately funny. :D

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-12-13, 00:21

C'est la Afrique may also work for C'est la Detroit. Or maybe C'est la NYC Biker Rally.

Keeping one in the glovebox isnt such a bad idea.

MountainRaven
10-12-13, 11:21
I have a bunch of them. I don't see much use for them in the USA under normal conditions.

I don't see much use for guns in the USA under "normal conditions".

But that's why we carry, for the abnormal conditions which may occur to anyone at any time.

Wasn't there a post earlier in this thread about the LE sniper instructor who carried a Glock 21 with two spare mags and had to basically empty every round carried on his person, even with a large number of them being good hits, to get a (as in one) perp to stop? And now he carries a Glock 17 with three spare mags (possibly all with +2 extensions, I don't recall), more spares on his plate carrier (in the active shooter bag), plus a couple-three 33-rounders in his car and active shooter bag.

Averageman
10-12-13, 11:35
I can only think the poor SOB caught in the motorcycle flash mob really might have wished he would have had a couple once his tires went flat and he got caught in that traffic jam.
As soon as the helmet impacted the glass I would have thought that might have ended it.
Blam X 33 times might have given someone something better to do than apply boot to head at that point.

William B.
10-12-13, 12:30

Thanks. That's good info for a new Ohioan.

Doublestack45
10-12-13, 19:46
I now own eight 33 rounders, the first being an impulse buy at my local gun shop. I ordered the rest online for the car and home after reading the story about the cop mentioned earlier who almost didn't make it. Nothing wrong with giving yourself every available option.

Gatorshark
10-12-13, 21:57
Necessary? No
Practical? meh
Cause you can? Hell yes!

TheJawn
10-12-13, 23:38
biker gang defense

one
10-13-13, 00:05
biker gang defense

I seriously thought about this thread resurfacing with the ongoing media coverage of the NY incident.

I have never felt the need to justify any of my 33 rounders to anyone. But incidents like that will certainly do it.

britishtq
10-13-13, 00:10
Reloads are so fast and easy anyway, I don't see why they restrict our magazine capacity in California. Maybe because people ask the question, "why would anyone need a 33 round mag"?

williejc
10-13-13, 01:53
Good club. One fits nicely in my belt when walking in the woods or along the creek. If I wish to plink, then I can refill the mag in the gun and continue on my way. I'll arrange for my casket to have at least one along with a few loose ball bearing to give the mourners something to talk about.

matemike
10-13-13, 05:57
I took the two round extender floorplates off my pair of 33's to put regular flat floorplates on them, thus making them 31's. No biggie

I put those extenders onto my 15's thus making them 17's, and most importantly made my G19 mags have a two round finger groove extension. I was surprised at how much the feel of my Gen3 grip changed. I've seen guys running G17 mags in G19 grips, but I prefer this look and feel much more for the glock 19.

Sikiguya
10-13-13, 09:15
Need is all relative. I don't know if you would ever 'need' it. I personally have one. My rationalizations are that it cracks me up when I have it in my Glock 26 and that it really irritates my liberal friends!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Double3
10-13-13, 09:53
Necessary? No
Practical? meh
Cause you can? Hell yes!

Pretty much.

I have some and it seems like you can shoot forever.

Usually just get used in my Kel-Tec Sub2000.

big_pErm
10-13-13, 22:32
They can also be used as a club in the event your glock goes down...

;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RagweedZulu
10-13-13, 23:02
I seriously thought about this thread resurfacing with the ongoing media coverage of the NY incident.

I have never felt the need to justify any of my 33 rounders to anyone. But incidents like that will certainly do it.

I'm all for "buy and use what you want". But in the NY motorcycle case if the victim were to draw a pistol, he might get to pop rounds at one MAYBE two attackers. Just because there are 30 attackers doesn't mean they are all suddenly going to go Walking Dead on your ass. Shoot one or two of the closest attackers and the rest of the unarmed morons in the pack are going to flee. I have a better chance of dating Julianna Hough than I do of needing all 33 rounds in a long, unwieldy stick. I prefer a primary with one or two standard size reloads. Much easier to move around inside a Range Rover for instance.

TiroFijo
10-14-13, 06:10
I find the 33 rounders too long and clumsy to use if you have to move around close quartes. The normal mags with a +2 extension are 19 rounders (though I always download glock mag one round), and a mag change takes about 1.5 seconds... by far the preferable option to me ;)

GunBugBit
10-14-13, 10:25
I don't own any 9mm Glocks but I keep a G22 (.40 S&W) loaded with a 22-rounder. In the unlikely event of multiple armed intruders in my home, the high-capacity magazine would be practical.

I appreciate that these magazines upset liberals.

I appreciate that I can buy, own and use them.

I appreciate having a reliable pistol with that round capacity.

lowbar
10-14-13, 11:48
Because high capacity assault clips are evil and so is my assault pistol!

MountainRaven
10-14-13, 12:49
I don't own any 9mm Glocks but I keep a G22 (.40 S&W) loaded with a 22-rounder. In the unlikely event of multiple armed intruders in my home, the high-capacity magazine would be practical.

I appreciate that these magazines upset liberals.

I appreciate that I can buy, own and use them.

I appreciate having a reliable pistol with that round capacity.

I really wish that Glock would come out with a 9mm magazine the same length as the 40-cal 22-rounders. The 33-round 9mm mag is probably just fine for pistol-caliber carbines and the like, but the 22-round G22 mag isn't too long to be completely unwieldy in a holstered pistol or in most open-top magazine pouches.

Trajan
10-14-13, 16:00
I really wish that Glock would come out with a 9mm magazine the same length as the 40-cal 22-rounders. The 33-round 9mm mag is probably just fine for pistol-caliber carbines and the like, but the 22-round G22 mag isn't too long to be completely unwieldy in a holstered pistol or in most open-top magazine pouches.
Arredondo makes a +6 extension for Glock 9x19 mags. I've heard good things about them. I'll probably pick one or two of them up here soon.

punkey71
10-14-13, 17:58
My FIL has been using a few +6 Arredondo's on his USPSA G34 with OEM 17rnd mags. No feeding issues over a few thousand rounds.

Arredondo makes a +6 extension for Glock 9x19 mags. I've heard good things about them. I'll probably pick one or two of them up here soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

El Cid
10-14-13, 18:56
My FIL has been using a few +6 Arredondo's on his USPSA G34 with OEM 17rnd mags. No feeding issues over a few thousand rounds.

My experience has been the same with the 9mm Arredondo extensions. I tried the 45ACO version but even with a stronger Wolff spring the rounds nose dive in the mag and are a nightmare. Interestingly the Arredondo 45ACP extensions work fine on my double stack Para-Ordnance 45.

The Magpul/Kriss 28+ mags do work very well in my G21's though.

punkey71
10-14-13, 19:03
He just ordered a few more with the wolff extra power springs. He is not sure if he is using the OEM spring or Wolff in his existing one - he can't remember.

My experience has been the same with the 9mm Arredondo extensions. I tried the 45ACO version but even with a stronger Wolff spring the rounds nose dive in the mag and are a nightmare. Interestingly the Arredondo 45ACP extensions work fine on my double stack Para-Ordnance 45.

The Magpul/Kriss 28+ mags do work very well in my G21's though.

El Cid
10-14-13, 19:08
He just ordered a few more with the wolff extra power springs. He is not sure if he is using the OEM spring or Wolff in his existing one - he can't remember.

The Wolff has more coils if I recall. He could compare it to an OEM G17 mag spring.

punkey71
10-14-13, 19:12
Understood. We'll compare when the new one arrives. I have a feeling he is using the OEM's with success as he can't find any OEM springs in his parts bins.

While his memory maybe slipping, his organization and borderline OCD from his younger days is as strong as ever.

The Wolff has more coils if I recall. He could compare it to an OEM G17 mag spring.

Itzik
10-14-13, 20:45
There are certain situations and parts of the world that I would like to have 33 round mag's, but for where I live right now in my Glock 19 I carry the 15 round mag+1 and carry a Glock 17 +2 mag as back up for a total of 35 rounds.
in my Sig 229 I carry the regular 15 round mag +1 and carry the 17 round mag as back up.
in My Glock 26 I carry the 10 +3 mag for a total of 14 rounds (one in the chamber) and as backup I carry the Glock 17 +2 mag.

In my PPQ I carry the 15+1 round mag but carry two spare 15 round mag's for a total of 46 rounds.

I say carry as much rounds as you can with out compromising your concealment ability or comfort specially if you carry all the time and everywhere.

CAVDOC
10-15-13, 09:13
Wish it was legal to own them here if only to induce cuomo and bloomberg to stroke out! Practical use? Not much. Fun yes. Maybe an improvised impact weapon?!

JusticeM4
10-15-13, 21:31
2 scenarios

1. SHTF
2. Less reloading time at the range. Go with all your mags loaded and start shooting. If you need to reload, reload the 15 rounders.

This exactly.

I owned own and kept it in my car when I my ccw was a G19. It served well as a backup.

At the range it reduces reloading times, and makes ease of ammo dumps.

firerocketjump
10-16-13, 19:25
I picked up a few very fun at the range would not get one for anything else

firerocketjump
10-16-13, 19:28

Are the wolf ones any good? Reviews?

wake.joe
10-16-13, 20:00
Keep one in your door pocket!

punkey71
10-16-13, 20:19
Are the wolf ones any good? Reviews?

I'm heading down to his place next month so I won't know first hand until then.

I will report back with any problems

bowietx
10-16-13, 21:32
Like an expensive Pez dispenser without an action figure or cartoon theme. Good way to thin out your 9mm stock more quickly and you can use it as a splint when you slip on your enormous pile of brass after a couple mag dumps.

firerocketjump
10-16-13, 21:45
I'm heading down to his place next month so I won't know first hand until then.

I will report back with any problems

Keep me posted. I heard to use wolf springs on the cheap glock mags and then they are gtg

jcshelto
10-17-13, 18:11
Just wondering if there's any practical use for the 33rd G18 mags? My LGS has a couple in at a reasonable price and I thought about getting one due to all the rage to grab up all high cap mags.

But then I wonder, is there and practical use to them? I ask this because I could buy two 17 round mags for the same price. I wanted to get some feedback from you all first to see what you had to say about the matter.

Thanks.

I am Active Duty -- and have to have yet another surgery. I will lose the use of my entire right arm for 6 weeks, so I decided to pick up a couple of these.

In a home defense scenario, I can't use anything but a pistol; tactical and speed reloads are not viable. 33rd mags, shooting offhand, seem like a good solution.

For the range, I am getting help from my buddies during CONLEAVE, to practice offhand for USPSA and IDPA. Less reloads, more practice.

It is a unique situation, but I think it is the ideal solution. Like a Glock 17 mag in a Glock 26, never a bad thing to have around.

Itzik
10-17-13, 18:23
I am Active Duty -- and have to have yet another surgery. I will lose the use of my entire right arm for 6 weeks, so I decided to pick up a couple of these.

In a home defense scenario, I can't use anything but a pistol; tactical and speed reloads are not viable. 33rd mags, shooting offhand, seem like a good solution.

For the range, I am getting help from my buddies during CONLEAVE, to practice offhand for USPSA and IDPA. Less reloads, more practice.

It is a unique situation, but I think it is the ideal solution. Like a Glock 17 mag in a Glock 26, never a bad thing to have around.

I wish you rapid healing and a long healthy life best wishes and thank you for your service.
Your point is well taken when it is associated with your condition I would do the same.