PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Murder Case on LEO Dismissed

R1pper
03-26-08, 00:31
http://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=40761

JULIE SHAW
The Philadelphia Daily News

A judge yesterday dismissed an attempted-murder charge in the shooting of a Philadelphia Housing Authority police officer last month, prompting outrage among police and prosecutors.

"Give him another m---------ing rifle. He can just walk. That's just madness," one PHA police officer, who did not want to give his name, said right after yesterday's preliminary hearing.

The chorus of anger in the hallway continued with a city police officer shouting: "This is why crime's out of control!"

PHA Police Officer Craig Kelley, who was shot Feb. 17 as he manned a security booth in a Germantown public-housing high-rise, told reporters: "What does it take? Does it take for him to shoot somebody who's not a police officer with an assault rifle? This was a rifle, a military rifle."

The officers were reacting to Municipal Judge Deborah Shelton Griffin's dismissal of an attempted-murder charge against defendant Zahir Boddy-Johnson, 17, the alleged shooter, and her decision to then lower his bail from $5 million to $75,000.

Griffin held Boddy-Johnson, of Diamond Street near 23rd, North Philadelphia, for trial on aggravated-assault and weapons offenses.

Hours later, the District Attorney's Office refiled the attempted-murder charge and also filed a petition in Common Pleas Court to have Boddy-Johnson's bail reinstated to $5 million. Judge Benjamin Lerner did so, pending a hearing Thursday.

Kelley, 49, testified at yesterday's hearing that he was manning a security booth inside the Queen Lane Apartments on Queen Lane near Pulaski Avenue when a man knocked on the door.

After Kelley opened the door, a man with a scarf covering his face pointed a rifle at him and "stated, 'Don't move!' " Kelley testified.

"I tried to slam the door as hard as I could," Kelley said, but the gunman shot him once in his front-left torso, above his hip.

The gunman fired two more times after the door closed, hitting the booth, Kelley testified.

Boddy-Johnson allegedly confessed to the shooting, according to a statement read in court yesterday by Homicide Detective Patrick Mangold.

When asked why he had shot the officer, he said: "I was going to rob him when he opened the door to the booth. I shot the gun one time and then he closed the door. I then shot two more times while he was inside the booth. I was shooting through the glass, but I don't think the bullets went through. I was just shooting."

Boddy-Johnson said he wanted to rob the officer's laptop and gun so he could "sell it [to pay] restitution for my stolen-car case."

He said he used an SKS rifle. "I bought it off the street," he said. "It came with the bullets."

He told police he had used the rifle in target practice, shooting at bottles in a park at 25th and Diamond streets.

He also said he dropped the rifle a couple of blocks from the high-rise as he was running away. Police recovered a rifle believed to be the weapon used.

Defense attorney Michael Coard yesterday argued for a dismissal of the attempted-murder charge, saying that, by law, "simply firing a gun at somebody . . . is not attempted murder."

Coard also called the $5 million bail an "outrageous ransom."

Assistant District Attorney Erica Wilson argued for Boddy-Johnson to be held on the attempted-murder charge, contending that he had been aiming at Kelley's chest, a vital part of the body.

Griffin reasoned that the defendant had shot at the officer as a "reaction."

"He didn't expect the officer to close the door. . . . ," the judge said. "He was surprised, and that's why he fired."

Boddy-Johnson was previously arrested Aug. 21, after he was found trying to steal a Jeep Cherokee on Girard Avenue near 20th Street in Fairmount, according to police records. The Jeep belonged to a police detective.

The case was resolved in Family Court without a trial after Boddy-Johnson agreed to pay restitution to the Jeep's owner.

Griffin, meanwhile, faces her own challenge in the state Supreme Court.

On March 5, the state Attorney General's Office and the Philadelphia D.A.'s Office argued before the court that Griffin be removed from the bench because she had pleaded guilty in 1984 in federal court to two felony counts involving the use of a false identity.

In 1982, before Griffin became a judge, she had used a false Social Security number to obtain two credit cards.

Her attorney, Samuel C. Stretton, said last week that he believes that the high court "should look at the totality" of the case and not remove Griffin, who he says grew up in housing projects, turned her life around, and now "brings so much to the bench." *

Buckaroo
03-26-08, 01:02
Defense attorney Michael Coard yesterday argued for a dismissal of the attempted-murder charge, saying that, by law, "simply firing a gun at somebody . . . is not attempted murder."

Man I wish they could fry the Defense attorney with this kid!

Unbelievable! Maybe Judge Griffin should adopt the kid since she feels so bad for him apparently.

Makes me sick...

R1pper
03-26-08, 02:16
The chorus of anger in the hallway continued with a city police officer shouting: "This is why crime's out of control!"

This alone really sums it all up!!! I recently pinched a kid (17 years old) with five proir fire arms violations and he has only spent about a year in county!

Detective_D
03-26-08, 07:12
Man, that so sounds like something that would happen here. We have a great Municipal criminal judge but our circuit court judges that handle the felonies are constantly easy on these guys.

Put that with the fact that our county jail is in a crisis right now saying that they have no money to man half of our beds.....we see guys coming out of jail before we even finish the paperwork to put them in.

HolyRoller
03-26-08, 08:08
Even after applying a heavy discount for media ignorance of anything legal, man this is just off the chain.

Try that in Florida, Mr. Boddy-Johnson, and you'd find out real quick about the 10-20-Life law (pull a gun during a crime and the minimum sentence is 10 years, gun goes off and the minimum sentence is 20 years, hit somebody and the minimum sentence is life without possibility of parole for 15 years, but they don't have a parole board anyway). With a law like that, there's no need to mess with a legally iffy charge of attempted murder.

People complain about liberal nitwit judges letting criminals off on technicalities. Well, guess who keeps reelecting them? Yup--the same people who complain about them. When election time rolls around, take some time to learn about your judicial candidates, and maybe even help campaign for the ones you like.

John_Wayne777
03-26-08, 08:14
Wait....I'm confused.....

You have a guy who admitted to using a weapon to attempt to rob the booth:

"I was going to rob him when he opened the door to the booth. I shot the gun one time and then he closed the door. I then shot two more times while he was inside the booth. I was shooting through the glass, but I don't think the bullets went through. I was just shooting."

...and the fact that he:

A. had the weapon
B. fired the weapon deliberately
C. understood that bullets are lethal
D. struck the police officer with rounds from the weapon

...doesn't qualify as attempted murder? What the f**k DO you call it when some waste of sperm aims a gun at you and pulls the trigger?

I'm not a big fan of Philly government, but I'm wholly on the side of the PD on this one.

"He didn't expect the officer to close the door. . . . ," the judge said. "He was surprised, and that's why he fired."

You've got to be sh**ting me. A guy premeditates armed robbery against a police officer but only fired because he was "surprised"....

If I'm out of line here, I'll accept a warning from the mods:

But personally I would find it deliciously ironic if the judge was on the pointy end of the weapon next time this walking advertisement for abortion gets "surprised".

tuff
03-26-08, 09:45
WOW!! Just WOW!!..

I wonder just how many times you should shoot at somebody before the judge would consider it attemped murder???? She is a idiot !!:mad:

Detective_D
03-26-08, 10:35
And where has this world gone that people are now trying to rob police officers? :mad:

98z28
03-26-08, 12:18
I too am outraged if this is the whole story, but this is the best part:

http://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=40761

Boddy-Johnson said he wanted to rob the officer's laptop and gun so he could "sell it [to pay] restitution for my stolen-car case."

This guy just flat out said he was trying to turn his life around. He was trying to atone for his past mistake. Doesn't he deserve a second chance??? :eek: :mad:

Ridge_Runner_5
03-26-08, 12:48
So now the SKS is an assault rifle?

CarlosDJackal
03-26-08, 14:18
...Defense attorney Michael Coard yesterday argued for a dismissal of the attempted-murder charge, saying that, by law, "simply firing a gun at somebody . . . is not attempted murder."...

Maybe someone needs to take a few shots at this piece of amphibian s*** and see just how fast he changes his opinion about this!! :mad:

Renegade
03-26-08, 14:25
Griffin, meanwhile, faces her own challenge in the state Supreme Court.

On March 5, the state Attorney General's Office and the Philadelphia D.A.'s Office argued before the court that Griffin be removed from the bench because she had pleaded guilty in 1984 in federal court to two felony counts involving the use of a false identity.

In 1982, before Griffin became a judge, she had used a false Social Security number to obtain two credit cards.

The LEO angle has been covered, but WTF is twice convicted FELON doing on the bench?

Paladin
03-26-08, 18:50
The LEO angle has been covered, but WTF is twice convicted FELON doing on the bench?

Apparently making bad descisions and helping her fellow felons out.

HolyRoller
03-27-08, 13:42
So now the SKS is an assault rifle?

According to the media, an SKS is not only an assault rifle, it IS an AK-47.

A few years ago near me, two brothers got in a fight with a trooper and a deputy while stopped on the interstate, and one of the bad guys managed to get an SKS out of his back seat and kill both officers. The media called it an AK-47. Remember, ANY gun the media doesn't like is always an AK-47 assault rifle. Mikhail Kalashnikov ought to trademark that designation, like Colt did with M16, AR-15 etc.

There is hope for judicial sanity. One of the brothers escaped the death penalty because he was 17 at the time, but the Fourth Circuit let the other guy's death sentence stand. Federal courts get it right surprisingly often, because they actually read the brief and memos that people file, unlike the courts in my state.

CarlosDJackal
03-27-08, 14:40

I didn't know that a convicted felon could become a judge!?