PDA

View Full Version : HK USP .45 Compact?

Pappabear
04-21-13, 21:21
Anyone have experience with this gun? I think it's smaller than the new HK45C. Which would you get?

04-21-13, 21:42
Love the USP Tactical compact. Have put thousands of rounds through it with no issues. Took it to TigerSwan class as a BUG when Kyle DeFoor was with them and asked his thoughts. Said it was a great platform and he thought highly of it. Mentioned they had been issued to his team for certain situations.

Salamander
04-22-13, 00:58
I'm curious about the size comparison too... the USP 45 compact is readily available here and I have handled several, but the HK 45c is off-roster in California so they don't turn up very often and I've never actually held one. The HK website does show the USPc as slightly smaller especially in height, but I've seen forum posts saying the reverse and others just discussing general ergonomics. Would be great to hear from someone who has both.

I will say that both of my HK guns (P2000 and P2000sk) are accurate and reliable, and that the more I shoot them the more I like them.

04-22-13, 08:31
I had one. Very un-HK like reliability issues. I do have a P-30 which is typical HK reliable. My USPc .45 was very accurate. I believe I just had a lemon and very atypical of HK. If you like it buy with confidence.

RHINOWSO
04-22-13, 08:47
Anyone have experience with this gun? I think it's smaller than the new HK45C. Which would you get?
They are roughly the same size and take the same magazines. HK45C might be a hair longer but overall I prefer it to the USP due to the magazine release, backstraps, and rail (even though the HK45C rail has it's own issues).

With that being said, if I couldn't have a HK45C, I'd gladly take a USP45c...

RHINOWSO
04-22-13, 08:50
Google fu, not my photos.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_5333.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/simplyrob/media/IMG_5333.jpg.html)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_5334.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/simplyrob/media/IMG_5334.jpg.html)

TMS951
04-22-13, 14:51
I had a USP 45c. I found it wasn't very compact, didn't hold many rounds and had a very short barrel for its size.

Needless to say I sold it, a Glock 19 conceals better, and I decided with a good round I was doing better with the 15 rounds of 9 vs. the 8 of 45 acp. I also decided I preferred my striker fired pistols.

Never touched a HK45c, I would think while being a great gun it suffers from the same problems the USP had for me.

Of the two I would rather have the HK45c.

jyo
04-22-13, 15:37
I was looking around for a USPc in 45 (have one in 9mm) and found instead a slightly used 45C---both are great pistols---I prefer the 45C because of larger mag release (can be fitted to USPc) and tapered slide plus ambi slide release---find your best deal on either, and be happy!

PSBT4117
04-22-13, 15:47
I have a USPc .45. Its been a very reliable pistol. I don't carry it much because of its size. Its big for what it is. If you are looking for a CCW, you might want to look at some different pistols.

If you get one, I would try to find one in LEM as opposed to the traditional DA/SA. The double action is smooth but heavy. The LEM gives you a constant trigger pull and is lighter than the double action you get with the first shot on the traditional set up (Variant 1 or 2).

BoringGuy45
04-22-13, 22:28
I absolutely loved the USP Compact the times when I shot it, and would have bought it on the spot if I had the cash. I've shot both the LEM and the DA/SA. Being that I started as a 1911 user, I'd rather have the DA/SA and carry it cocked and locked. However, if I were issued an HK as a service gun and was forbidden from carrying it that way (cocked and locked), I think I would prefer the LEM for the consistency.

Paxamus
04-23-13, 10:48
I have the USP 45 compact and love it. Its not the smallest compact, but about the same size as the HK45c just a little blockier. Very reliable and accurate. For the difference in price the USP compact was the one I went with and used the extra cash for ammo!

5POINT56
04-23-13, 17:22
I owned the USPc .45.

I currently own a P2000SK, HK45 & and P30.

The USPc .45 is a great gun in respect to reliability and accuracy.

I found the ergonomics to be excessively blocky, and I hated the grip.

I can't think of a single reason I'd select anything from HK's USP line, given the availability of their next gen guns.

Rinspeed
04-23-13, 19:09
.I can't think of a single reason I'd select anything from HK's USP line, given the availability of their next gen guns.

Having owned both the USP full size and compact I would have to agree. My next 9mm will be the P30.

Heavydmp
04-23-13, 19:26
As an owner of multiple HK weapons, including a USP45 fullsize and compact, I can tell you that I absolutely love my USP45 Compact. I also conceal carry it in a shoulder holster during fall/winter under heavy and light jackets as well as windbreakers without issue.

Buy with confidence. My USP45c is very accurate and reliable in my opinion. LAV has spoken on this issue as well and you can find that thread in his "Ask LAV" section.

Heavydmp
04-23-13, 19:28
I owned the USPc .45.

I currently own a P2000SK, HK45 & and P30.

The USPc .45 is a great gun in respect to reliability and accuracy.

I found the ergonomics to be excessively blocky, and I hated the grip.

I can't think of a single reason I'd select anything from HK's USP line, given the availability of their next gen guns.

If you live in PRKalitopia you are unable to get the new line. trust me I know. USP's are GTG in any case so no big loss.

HKGuns
04-23-13, 22:42
I own both and have put a lot of rounds through my USP45c. They are similar enough to me that it is a coin flip. I don't have as many rounds through my 45ct but expect it will prove to be just as reliable as my AD USP 45c. Both are HK accurate and HK reliable. Buy either with confidence. The main difference is the grip, so pick the one that f eels better in your hand.

Both hold their value extremely well also.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v24/p1482393472-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1470013726-5.jpg

DAVID RICHARDS
04-24-13, 09:17
I got one of the last Stainless steel slide guns. I love it. It has fired every load I have ever shot through it. Is one of the most mildly recoiling .45's I own. Is built like a tank. I love the grip. It is thin for a .45 and for me very ergonomic. And it shoot super tight groups. Will shoot with custom 1911's. It is a bit blocky but except for the warmest months is not a problem to ccw.
I would not be afraid to carry it to defend my life with it any day. DA trigger is not bad after many rounds. Not like my 220's DA trigger pull. But not bad. SA is a nice 4lbs. I can choose between Cocked and locked or DA/SA. Lots of versatility. Suberb weapon. Got my mags before they went through the roof. They are a bit high for the Compact. Actually like the paddle mag release.

davidjinks
04-24-13, 11:11
I carried the USPc 45 for a year or so. Out of all the 45 pistols I've shot/owned, it was by far my most favorite. The only thing I did not like about that gun was when shooting +P ammo. Didn't care for the felt recoil.

I was able to shoot both guns side by side. The grip on the HK45C did not fit my hands at all. To me it felt like it was too skinny side to side but felt too long front to back. Same issue I have with the Glock 36.

If I had to do it all over again I'd be knee deep in HK USPc 45's.

chuckman
04-24-13, 17:24
I had a USP 45c. I found it wasn't very compact, didn't hold many rounds and had a very short barrel for its size.

Needless to say I sold it, a Glock 19 conceals better, and I decided with a good round I was doing better with the 15 rounds of 9 vs. the 8 of 45 acp. I also decided I preferred my striker fired pistols.

Same story. I found it heavy and not as compact as some other options. It was very accurate and reliable, though.

a1fabweld
04-25-13, 08:54
I just picked up a P2000 in 9mm & couldn't be happier. I'm also behind enemy lines & this one is on the CA "approved" list. The P2000 seems to have the qualities of the USP with some additional features. Most accurate pistol I've shot to date.

brushy bill
04-25-13, 21:04
Google fu, not my photos.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_5333.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/simplyrob/media/IMG_5333.jpg.html)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_5334.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/simplyrob/media/IMG_5334.jpg.html)

The USP slide seems thicker where it meets with the frame...wonder if it might hold up better in the long run. Anyone have any insights in this regard?

montrala
04-26-13, 08:09
The USP slide seems thicker where it meets with the frame...wonder if it might hold up better in the long run. Anyone have any insights in this regard?

Never heard about any problem with this in other "slim slide" HKs (P2000, P2000SK, P30, P30L). Part (big part) of HK price tag is for them knowing what the are doing.

Hunter Rose
04-26-13, 09:53
The tapered slide HKs like the HK45 and P30 series have been known to suffer from premature catastrophic vise failure, leading to cracking of the slides. Luckily, this seems to be confined entirely to people who don't know what they are doing changing sights. :D

montrala
04-28-13, 16:42
The tapered slide HKs like the HK45 and P30 series have been known to suffer from premature catastrophic vise failure, leading to cracking of the slides. Luckily, this seems to be confined entirely to people who don't know what they are doing changing sights. :D

Actually, I know a guy who managed to do that to USP full size. "Man is always stronger than matter" :lol:

Blstr88
04-30-13, 23:05
I've got a USPc in 9mm and a USPc in .45, and Im in negotiations for a USPc in .40...

I find the USP compacts to be the perfect size for me. I'm not a huge fan of compact guns normally, but the fullsize USPs are quite large...the compact USPs are just right for someone with smaller hands.

I shoot my USPc 9 almost exclusively these days, but I throw the USPc 45 in the mix now and then. Great shooting pistol!

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-07-13, 00:02
Currently the only autoloader I have other than my P7 (my first gun) is an Hk45c. I am running the CT laser and a set of tooltech modified factory sights (green front with white ring/ yellow rear no ring) and slim slide levers. In my opinion, it is the best all-around combat autoloader available.

If you have to buy new just get the HK45c. It has all the goodies of the USP plus a few refinements. You have to think the changes that the engineers at HK wanted to make went into the newer gun.

The Hk45c has a slimmer profile all around that makes it not much bigger than an G19 and smaller, IIRC than a P30. Basically, it is a melted USP45c. Frankly, the only silly thing on the HK45c is the stupid forward serrations, but that is one of my pet peeves.

Part (big part) of HK price tag is for them knowing what the are doing.

Truth.

Pappabear
05-08-13, 01:57
Thanks Greg and everyone for the feedback. Sounds like another thread demonstrating its hard to wrong with HK.

I want a HKc now- shit.

My HK's impress me every time I shoot them. They feed like butter.