PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation For Mossberg 500 Replacement Stock

Father of 3
04-21-13, 22:00
I inherited a Mossberg 500 from a close friend of the family that has only a pistol grip and I'm looking for a replacement stock soas to be able shoulder fire the weapon. What replacement do you all recommend. So far I've looked at options from:

Magpul
Blackhawk (NRS)
ATI
Houge

I would prefer something that has a pistol grip as well but its not a deal breaker.

superfuzz
04-21-13, 22:53
I had the Blackhawk/Knoxx on my 500 and never could fall in love with it. I replaced it with the Hogue 12" length of pull stock and immediately started kicking myself for not switching sooner. Feels just right. Go with the Hogue, you won't regret it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Gerbilphooey
04-22-13, 00:36
Check out Mesa Tactical, they have a few kits if you want to keep the pistol grip-type setup. I went with the LEO adapter and put on some Magpul furniture. Here it is, as it sits today.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/22/zenyby5u.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

GH41
04-22-13, 06:11
I inherited a Mossberg 500 from a close friend of the family that has only a pistol grip and I'm looking for a replacement stock soas to be able shoulder fire the weapon. What replacement do you all recommend. So far I've looked at options from:

Magpul
Blackhawk (NRS)
ATI
Houge

I would prefer something that has a pistol grip as well but its not a deal breaker.

Look closer at the Magpul. No safety use issues, adjustable length of pull and several sling mount points. GH

RCI1911
04-22-13, 10:27
I think that you will find with some use that a pistol grip and the tang safety on the Mossy don't work well together. I had a Knoxx stock on my 870 for a while. They work but it was super heavy. I've got a Magpul on there now and I absolutely love this stock. Multiple sling point attachments, adjustable LOP and check pieces, very solid feel and I've found it to be very comfortable.

Polymerhead
04-22-13, 18:59
Hogue short stock is my favorite by far.

Frailer
04-22-13, 19:53
Another vote for the Hogue 12" LOP stock.

One warning: keep your thumb up on the tang; if you wrap your thumb around the stock you're very likely to smack yourself in the nose.

Father of 3
04-22-13, 20:00
I think that you will find with some use that a pistol grip and the tang safety on the Mossy don't work well together.

I hadn't even thought about that. That changes my opinions on what I want.

tpd223
04-23-13, 08:34
Pistol grips work with 870s, not so much from the Mossbergs due to the safety placement (which I prefer due to being completely ambi).

For a defensive shotgun the Houge and the "Cadet" stock from Brownell's are very nice, shorter LOP.

I have yet to try a MagPul but they look like they should work well.

26 Inf
04-23-13, 23:19
I prefer the Choate Machine and Tol Stock - most of the other 'youth' or 'body armor' stocks are essentially fullsized stocks with the back inch or inch and a half whacked off. As a result you lose about 1/2 length from toe to heel on the recoil pad - not a big deal if you bury the stock low into your shoulder, but it is a big deal if you've trained yourself to keep your head erect and bring the comb of the stock to your cheek instead of bringing your cheek to the stock. The Sully Stocks for the M4's/AR's follow the same principle.

I like this one:

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/SGS/01-01-36

DAVID RICHARDS
04-24-13, 09:44
Knoxx Stock Spec Ops. Adjustable and a built in recoil reduction system that works.

tpd223
04-24-13, 10:23
Sorry Dave, I have to strongly disagree. The issues with pistol grip stocks have already been noted, and lots of practical experience with the Knox stocks show that they are junk.

JBecker 72
04-24-13, 10:39
I have the Hogue stock and fore end on my 500. It's simple and provides good grip.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/IMAG0191.jpg

Tapatalk ate my grammar

DAVID RICHARDS
04-24-13, 12:56
Haven't really read up on the Knoxx Stocks except in gun rags. Mines only got about 150 rounds through it so can't really address durability. So far so good. But I have no reason to doubt the reports of others with more experience with it.
'

jpmuscle
04-24-13, 16:06
Hogue short stock is where its at imo.

claymore_dude
05-02-13, 21:53
I run the ATI, and it's very comfortable imo, and my brother runs a Magpul on his 870. They're both comfortable. It's not that big of a bother to reach your thumb up and switch the safety off, but it will matter in a life and death situation. I would run with the Magpul due to the adaptability that is built in to it. Adjustable cheek rest, and butt spacers, make it comfortable to shoot for anybody. My only gripe is that my brother has high cheek bones (I don't), and he runs the high riser on his, so when I shoot it, it tends to slap me a little harder. But that's just a personal gripe :)

High Tower
05-03-13, 00:28
I'm a big fan of the speedfeed stocks with or without the shellholders. I am tall and like the longer LOP they provide. I also like the grip.

If you can, try to check out the different stocks on guns. I initially went with the Knoxx stock, but it never worked out for me.

Big A
05-04-13, 11:13
I had a SpeedFeed on my 500 and liked it a lot, the recoil actually felt reduced compared to the standard stock that came on it. I have since sold that gun though.

On one of My 870's I have the MagPul stock and fore end and absolutely love it, but I freely addmit to being a MagPul whore... :D

SteveL
05-15-13, 17:46
With regard to the Magpul stock, in the following pic it looks like it accepts QD sling swivels but I don't see this mentioned on the Magpul website. Is this how it comes out of the box, or are extra add-on parts involved? I'm thinking one of these would be a nice upgrade to my Mossberg and if it has built-in QD points then that's even better.

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-magpul-sga-remington-870-stock-black-mpimag460blk-usage-1.jpg

ETA: I'm also curious if anyone has any opinions on how the Magpul's recoil pad compares to the pad that comes on the gun from the factory.

Big A
05-15-13, 21:18
Yes that's how it comes. All you do is remove the plug and put in a qd swivel.

SteveL
05-15-13, 21:38
Yes that's how it comes. All you do is remove the plug and put in a qd swivel.

Excellent, thanks. Are they rotation limited at all?

The down side is I was mistaken in thinking the Mossberg stock had already been released. Oh well. I've got a couple of other things to do to this shotgun while I wait.

Big A
05-16-13, 07:35
Excellent, thanks. Are they rotation limited at all?

The down side is I was mistaken in thinking the Mossberg stock had already been released. Oh well. I've got a couple of other things to do to this shotgun while I wait.

I'm sorry, but I was wrong. You do need an adapter. I've never used mine as I'm runnig their mount that goes between the receiver and stock.

Here is the adapter: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG333/188]

Sorry for misleading you but I thought it was already in there.

SteveL
05-16-13, 08:36
No worries, and thanks for the follow-up.