PDA

View Full Version : Castle Nut Staking

Hwikek
04-22-13, 01:00
I recently purchased a DDM4V5LW and I noticed that the staking on the castle nut was not quite what I'd expected.

Here is the partial staking on one on the notches
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=665&pictureid=3225

The other notches are not staked
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=665&pictureid=3224

I'm planning on just having the issue taken care of locally but I was simply surprised considering that everything else on the rifle seemed to be very good, like the staking on the gas key.

kmrtnsn
04-22-13, 01:22
Just take a punch and a hammer and overstrike the original staking. It will be fine.

Hwikek
04-22-13, 09:30
I was just kind of shocked to see an improperly staked castle nut on the rifle. It functioned well enough with the only ammo available, low end Herters. And like I said I will just have the problem corrected where I live since this is hardly an issue to send in the rifle for.

Clint
04-22-13, 11:06
The thread just below has good info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91530

Hwikek
04-22-13, 12:39
That's a good thread. I read it a few times before though but thanks for linking it for new members.

kmrtnsn
04-22-13, 23:29
From what I can see in the OP's pic, the staking is perfectly functional, just not as aesthetically pleasing as he may prefer. This is an easy user fix. 10 seconds with a hammer and a punch. It is a battle rifle, not a $20k, custom fitted Beretta shotgun, with gold filigree inlays.

Hwikek
04-22-13, 23:31
I thought it was a little weak but I admit I am far from an expert on these things. Now I just need to look in my garage for a punch.

kmrtnsn
04-22-13, 23:35
Welcome aboard, this is a great place for AR/M4 info, discussion, and argument.

Hwikek
04-22-13, 23:36

kmrtnsn
04-22-13, 23:39
Before you hit it with a punch, evaluate that that stock end plate meets your needs and that you don't need an alternative sling attachment point instead. Me, I'd swap it out first.

Hwikek
04-22-13, 23:40
It comes with the QD socket and I figured that if I didn't like that spot I would just put a B5 Bravo stock on there.

WS6
09-04-13, 02:40
My DD rifle's staking isn't "pretty", either, but it does look functional and I'm not concerned about it. Aside from being properly torqued, it moved metal into the notch. KAC, which is the last company to employ the inventor of this entire platform, does not even stake their castle nuts, as a data-point.

CoryCop25
09-04-13, 08:23
I have noticed that DD is now using an aluminum Noveske style QD endplate in their current rifles. I have swapped several of these out and I have noticed that they are much easier to break as say Colt BUT, we all must realize that it is very hard for a castle nut to rotate on its own and break any type of staking, as long as there is some resistance, even just a little. Don't forget, the mil spec requirement on torquing a castle nut is 40 (+or-2) INCH pounds.

SilverBullet432
09-06-13, 20:04
I have the same staking on my ddm4, i believe it is in no way sub par, i dont think that nuts moving anywhere anytime soon, i shoot m855.

Marler5811
09-13-13, 10:01
All of our castle nuts are staked in a single notch. We don't stake them in each location. I honestly don't know of any one that does more than one. Not to say they aren't out there though.

Our receiver end plates are machined of 7075 aluminum so they are more difficult to stake (and still look pretty) than a stamped steel end plate. while they are not the most attractive stakes, they are fully functional. We've yet to receive any reports of castle nuts coming loose on factory assemble Daniel Defense Lower Receiver Groups.

S/F

Joe

WS6
09-13-13, 10:15
All of our castle nuts are staked in a single notch. We don't stake them in each location. I honestly don't know of any one that does more than one. Not to say they aren't out there though.

Our receiver end plates are machined of 7075 aluminum so they are more difficult to stake (and still look pretty) than a stamped steel end plate. while they are not the most attractive stakes, they are fully functional. We've yet to receive any reports of castle nuts coming loose on factory assemble Daniel Defense Lower Receiver Groups.

S/F

Joe

I am 100% happy with my Daniel Defense.
I am not concerned about the efficacy of the staking of the castle-nut, because I know if you say it works---it does, and field reports/lack of issues bare this out.
All of my previous rifles (Noveske) have been staked at two points, so that is what I am used to.
I am not concerned in the least with how my Daniel Defense rifle is made, because I know it is the best. I replaced my Noveske rifles with Daniel Defense rifles because of Daniel Defense's quality and reliability, and have been pleased with the lack of issues, comparatively, that I have had.

Hwikek
09-13-13, 13:22
Thanks Joe. I was also used to seeing two stakes so I just assumed that it was a fluke that the rifle only had one notch filled. Needless to say the rifle has functioned just fine.

WS6
09-30-13, 23:32
Just looked at my SBR (still pending). It looks VERY HEAVILY staked. Like they used a regular setup (one solid rectangular DEEP DEEP gouge) to stake the aluminum instead of the "taptaptaptaptaptap" looking approach on my other DD rifle. Punched so deep I wondered if it had broken that part of the end-plate off, but I couldn't easily dig the chunk out, so it's doing its job. No pictures, sadly, as it was just a visit at the dealer, but I know they think it's okay because they painted over it with something black (I could see the dab of paint or whatever) to keep it from being a glaring shiny spot of aluminum, so I know it had eyes on it and is G2G.