PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight help

Bear1
04-22-13, 10:04
Hello - can someone please clarify this for me ...

Should the front sight post be center of target or at the 6 o'clock position (butting the bottom of the target)?

I ask this for both the AR platform and the Glock 17.

Thanks

T2C
04-22-13, 10:08
For most applications the front sight post on your AR-15 and the top of the front sight on your handgun should be held center of target.

Enroll in a NRA Basic Pistol Class. I believe that the class will help you understand sighting with both handguns and rifles. The safety aspect of the class is worth it's weight in gold.

Welcome to the firearms community!

Hop
04-22-13, 10:51
User preference. A lot of people like old school "pumpkin on a fence post". I don't. You never know how big that pumpkin is. The diameter changes but the center doesn't. I like center hold.

I don't have a Glock. I have a Steyr. Tip of the triangle is POI.

Bear1
04-22-13, 14:10
This kind of answers my question, but not really.

I understand the AR platform can be adjusted based on user preference, so that's that.

But what about the G17? Fixed sights. I am 99% sure it's CoM, given my range time, but uncertain as I've seen conflicting reports.

T2C
04-22-13, 15:50
This kind of answers my question, but not really.

I understand the AR platform can be adjusted based on user preference, so that's that.

But what about the G17? Fixed sights. I am 99% sure it's CoM, given my range time, but uncertain as I've seen conflicting reports.

When shooting bullseye I use a 6 o'clock hold on the black circle on a SR-1 target at 25 yards with my Glocks. The point of impact with most ammunition is in the black, usually in the 10 and X rings. I hold Center of Mass from 2 yards to 50 yards on silhouette targets and USPSA targets.

Bear1
04-22-13, 16:10
When shooting bullseye I use a 6 o'clock hold on the black circle on a SR-1 target at 25 yards with my Glocks. The point of impact with most ammunition is in the black, usually in the 10 and X rings. I hold Center of Mass from 2 yards to 50 yards on silhouette targets and USPSA targets.

I am going to ask a very dumb question then ...
The correct sight picture will be the 6 o'clock then; and your preference for silhouette is to aim CoM, which (in theory) would be hitting high (since 6 o'clock would be slightly elevated)

T2C
04-22-13, 19:58
I am going to ask a very dumb question then ...
The correct sight picture will be the 6 o'clock then; and your preference for silhouette is to aim CoM, which (in theory) would be hitting high (since 6 o'clock would be slightly elevated)

All of my Glocks have fixed sights. When I shoot on a bullseye target at 25 yards the point of impact is 1" to 2-1/2" high depending on the caliber of my Glock and the ammunition I am shooting. I use a flat tire hold when the shots are hitting low and a line of white hold when the shots are hitting high. For flat tire hold I move the front sight up into the black ball until it looks like a flat tire. For line of white hold I hold the front sight under the black ball just enough where I can see a line of white between the bottom of the black ball and the top of the sight. Because of my failing eyesight, line of white hold gives me tighter groups.

When holding center of mass on a silhouette target at 25 yards you will find that you shoot a little lower when holding the front sight on the center of such a large target. If your pistol shoots 3"-4" groups at 25 yards you won't notice the group being slightly high on a silhouette target.

The Glock is not a target pistol, so I would not get too caught up on using a 6 o'clock hold. Try the 6 o'clock hold, line of white hold and center hold on a bullseye target and see what works best for you. On a silhouette target, just hold center of mass.

All that being said, I believe the most critical aspects of precise shot placement are trigger control followed by good sight alignment. Your sight picture is important, but I think it is secondary to the other two aspects of shooting.

Try some dime drills at home before heading out to the range and I think you will find you can shoot a whole lot better after marrying your finger to the trigger. Perform the dime drills both left handed and right handed. I have helped people improve their strong hand shooting by having them run drills with the support hand. It forces you to focus and reinforces the principals.

Bear1
04-22-13, 20:50
Very helpful thanks