PDA

View Full Version : Removal of grip tape

Grand58742
04-22-13, 16:17
I recently bought a used Kahr P9 at an auction and upon receipt found the previous owner decided to apply grip tape to the grips. Want to remove said item as it's not necessary for me. However, I'll end up leaving a lot of sticky residue behind when I remove it. Has anyone ever tried something like Goo Gone on the polymer frame of a pistol?

Nothing specific on their website about not using it on plastics, but I don't want to be the guinea pig on this one.

Anyone ever tried it or seen it done? I've also seen WD40 and denatured alcohol mentioned as being effective at taking the residue off. Just curious about what these will do to the grip/frame.

GH41
04-22-13, 17:54
Do you have any mineral spirits around the house?? Even break free will remove it with a little work. GH

yfz
04-22-13, 19:42
I used a solvent remover called hi-solv made by CRS to remove residue from decals on all kinds of different plastic emblems and never damaged anything.

nolt
04-22-13, 20:56
just go with typical 70% isopropyl alcohol if you've got any around the house.
wet a rough rag with it and it should easily take off any adhesive that's used with grip or skate tape.

i use it to de-grease frames before i stick something like a talon grip on and then again to pull off any residue when i remove it.

Hart
04-22-13, 22:14
Careful with the Goo Gone. I think it has citrus oils in it which clean very well but are acidic. I'd stick with the mineral spirits.

G woody
04-23-13, 08:07
Lighter fluid works great on most tape residue, and dries quickly.

AKDoug
04-23-13, 10:35
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I clean all my plastic pistols with it (including my Khar). It'll take the residue right off.

Grand58742
04-23-13, 12:41
Okay, mineral spirits, non-cholorinated brake cleaner, lighter fluid or alcohol.

Thanks folks!

U4JF
04-26-13, 03:49
I went th WD-40 route to remove grip tape residue from an XD and it worked ok with no damage to the original grips.

04-26-13, 08:32
I have used acetone on many surfaces except poly gun frames. Whatever you use try it on a small area first.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-26-13, 09:50
Have you tried hot soapy water?

I took some skateboard tape off my PM9 I put on years ago. Dishwater and a little scrubbing made the remainder come off.

nimdabew
04-26-13, 16:50
I use oxyclean to get rid of beer bottle lables. You can try soaking the stripped frame in that for a few minutes and try wiping it off with a sponge. I don't know if it will harm the plastic though.

arbninftry
04-26-13, 20:38
Heat it, very carefully with a hair dryer, but not to much you don't want to mess up the polymer frame. Then that should help remove the tape. Then use a light solvent or clp and use that Air Force toothbrush to clean the residue off.

Written any good books lately?

VR

Mac5.56
04-26-13, 20:57
I always start with Isopropyl Alcohol before I move on to stronger solvents. It tends to be great at removing adhesives. Then I would use acetone next.