PDA

View Full Version : First semi-auto pistol and I have a few questions...

kav92
04-22-13, 19:24
Hey ya'll, I'm new to the world of semi auto pistols. I've only had rifles, shotguns, and revolvers up to this point. After some research and shooting some range rentals I recently purchased a Glock 17 gen 4. I've read mixed reviews about them, but heard that glock's resolved most of the issues. Anyway, my slide won't "slingshot" on an empty mag without depressing the slide stop and then riding the slide home. No mag, and I can just pull it back and release it, (slingshot it), without depressing the slide stop. Is this normal? Sorry for the noob question.

Range report update: Took the G17 out the other day and put 75 rounds of WWB through it. I bought the gun slightly used form an outdoorstrader member. It has 042 spring, 30274 ejector, and the dipped extractor. It was manufactured in 2012. I did not encounter any stovepipes or double feeds. However i did have 2 pieces of brass his me in the head. All spent casings did clear the ejection port. I'll try to get a camera and tape it next time so I can get a better idea of how far/consistent casings are being thrown. Of course, I need to put quite a few more rounds through it. So far I really like the agressive grip, and the bigger mag release more than the gen 3 rental I shot before.

_JD_
04-22-13, 19:28
Yes, the empty mag activates the slide stop which keeps the slide open when the gun is empty.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

GRANTFTW
04-22-13, 19:30
Yes that is normal. The mag follower is pushing the slide stop up holding your slide open until you push down on the release or remove the mag and pull back on the slide, causing the release to drop.

kav92
04-22-13, 19:31
Thanks for the answers, I was afraid something was wrong for a sec lol.

_JD_
04-22-13, 20:13

You're welcome, do take the time to read the book that came in the box, it may help you out on the operations of the gun. :)

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

twistedcomrade
04-24-13, 19:06
Kav92, let us know how your new Glock performs when you get it to the range.

Quinn
04-24-13, 20:56

Ill admit

My first firearm was an AR and I thought the same exact thing at first

:thank_you2:

Hence my sig line..

kav92
04-24-13, 21:34
Kav92, let us know how your new Glock performs when you get it to the range.

Will do. Ill probably be going either this weekend or next depending on my schedule.