PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Underfolder help

sapper36
04-23-13, 08:29
Need some figuring out what I have here. This came to me a very crappy black plastic thumb hole stock and a cap threaded and tack welded over the muzzle. Both of those were not done well so I took them off. My question is how much of a pain will it be to source the proper parts to finish the rifle?

I am not an AK guy at all, something about having them shot at me a lot I guess. If I find out that due to the different types of AK's and accesories out there that it wont be worth the squeeze to finish this, what would be a proper value to sell it to someone that does like this rifle?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0006_zpsa5d8e22f.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0005_zpsbf0afe56.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0004_zpsc7f17c3f.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0003_zpscc13b7e1.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0002_zps8cf72f36.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC_0001_zpse44596d5.jpg

Arik
04-23-13, 09:00
What you have is a stamped receiver NHM90 meaning it was post ban thus the crappy butthole stock, ground off bayo lug and cap..aka sporter rifle. No evil features!

You will need 922r parts (US partd) to make it "legal" Ironwood makes Chinese AK specific stocks, grips, handguards. Thats 3 parts. US made muzzle break and piston gets you 5. I dont remember if you need 5 or 6 US parts for a Chinese AK.

Other US parts include the FCG (3 trigger, hammer, sear) mag (3 body, follower, floor plate). You can mix and match to get the proper amount of US parts. The rear tang can be taken out and an underfolder installed. To my knowledge no one makes a one in the US. It would have to be a Chinese one or possibly a Polish/Bulgarian/Romanian one would fit

Normally a post ban Norinco such as MAK90 and NHM90 were $500+/- . Today probably about a G

There really isnt that many different ones. Yugos and Chinese are different from each other and everyone else. But all others are almost all the same.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SteyrAUG
04-23-13, 14:48
You will need 922r parts (US partd) to make it "legal" Ironwood makes Chinese AK specific stocks, grips, handguards. Thats 3 parts. US made muzzle break and piston gets you 5. I dont remember if you need 5 or 6 US parts for a Chinese AK.

That's not going to work. It's an underfolder with a closed receiver end. You can't install a wood stock.

KalashniKEV
04-23-13, 14:54
You need to slice the tang off and grind it flush.

Then drill out the center rivet blocking the UF holes. The plates should fall free.

Install UF parts and 922(r) and enjoy.

Arik
04-23-13, 15:10
What he said

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pork Chop
04-23-13, 15:13
I just did this a year or so ago. Good luck finding a Chinese specific underfolder kit. I had to use a polish kit and make it fit. They are pretty close and if you're at all mechanically inclined you'll be fine.

The main difference is the orientation of the anti rotation/locking pin in the mechanism and the fact that the Chinese only lock on the left side and not both sides.

Also, you need 6 US parts, but a Tapco G2 trigger assembly counts as 3 parts and is cheap and easy to install and actually is a pretty nice trigger upgrade.

KalashniKEV
04-23-13, 16:00
The main difference is the orientation of the anti rotation/locking pin in the mechanism and the fact that the Chinese only lock on the left side and not both sides.

You would have been fine with a standard AKMS underfolder- only the PMKMS are dual locking.

Plus I'm sure your rifle looks weird with the straight comb underfolder.

Pork Chop
04-23-13, 16:05
You would have been fine with a standard AKMS underfolder- only the PMKMS are dual locking.

Plus I'm sure your rifle looks weird with the straight comb underfolder.

I used what I could find at the time. I'm not an AK guy either and don't pretend to be an expert.

Does it look funny? I think it looks ok?

KalashniKEV
04-24-13, 09:52
I used what I could find at the time. I'm not an AK guy either and don't pretend to be an expert.

Does it look funny? I think it looks ok?

Not in that cell phone pic, no, it is almost indistinguishable from a PMKMS.

I actually prefer the drop comb of the AKMS, myself. I know it's against all logic about efficiently transferring recoil, but after a day of running and gunning a PMKMS hard, I had a painful bump/ bone contusion on my jaw.

The AKMS is more comfortable.

Pork Chop
04-24-13, 10:03
Not in that cell phone pic, no, it is almost indistinguishable from a PMKMS.

I actually prefer the drop comb of the AKMS, myself. I know it's against all logic about efficiently transferring recoil, but after a day of running and gunning a PMKMS hard, I had a painful bump/ bone contusion on my jaw.

The AKMS is more comfortable.

Thanks.

I see the OP put it up for sale. I think we scared him away. :)

That's too bad. I may have used less than ideal parts, but with a little time and effort it ended up being rock solid and I'm happy with it. It wasn't that difficult.

KalashniKEV
04-24-13, 10:58
I see the OP put it up for sale. I think we scared him away. :)

And it looks like it's already SPF... damn.

I may have used less than ideal parts, but with a little time and effort it ended up being rock solid and I'm happy with it.

If you're happy, then you win.

In a way, the PMKMS is more ideal because the dual locking was considered an improvement, and the straight comb keeps the recoil straight back... it's just not my personal preference.

sapper36
04-24-13, 11:24
Thanks everyone, as stated I did decide to sell it. Grant had a ton of BCM in stock yesterday so that made my decision pretty easy.

Bret
04-24-13, 20:45
I dont remember if you need 5 or 6 US parts for a Chinese AK.
The country of origin doesn't matter. It's simply that you can't have more than ten of the listed foreign parts. Stamped receiver AK's have one more listed part than milled receiver AK's because a stamped receiver and front trunnion count as two parts. With a milled receiver AK, a trunnion isn't necessary because the barrel goes right in to the receiver. In this particular case, the best way to achieve the goal of not having over ten foreign parts would be to replace the FCG (counts as 3) with a US made one, install an Ironwood pistol grip & handguard set, and install a US made muzzle attachment. A foreign underfolder could still be used.