PDA

View Full Version : VFG vs handstop?

berserker
04-23-13, 17:17
I'm debating VFG vs a handstop for my current build. I've always used a VFG, but like many people, I only use it to help pull the rifle into my shoulder. ie. my thumb, pointer and index finger wrap around the handguard, and my other 2 fingers rest at the top of the VFG and pull it back. That's what's most comfortable for me. However, 85% of the VFG then becomes dead weight (albeit not much) and unnecessary length.

The CAA TVG is the shortest VFG I can find (CAA site says 5.5 cm tall, if it's accurate). But I've also considered handstops. I know using them to "pull" isn't the intended use, but certainly some have used them this way, no? I'm looking at the LaRue and the KAC, which seem to be 2 of the larger handstops out there, but I'm not sure if they are "big" enough for me to get 2 fingers onto to pull on. (I've tried the AFGs and they don't work at all for this purpose). Does anyone have any insight into this?

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2500/e1f8e/products/200/images/810/TVG1_item_copy__86877.1295816786.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/handstop_2-piece.jpg

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/images/25460_pic.jpg

2_wacko
04-23-13, 17:25
Troy has a stubby VGV, seems alot are going towards handstops.

Degs
04-23-13, 17:26
Try em! Probably not big enough for 2 fingers.

Grab a VFG and a hacksaw!

berserker
04-23-13, 17:27
Try em! Probably not big enough for 2 fingers.

I'm trying to avoid a lot of money spent on trial and error! :D

NeoNeanderthal
04-23-13, 17:39
Easy. Buy the Magpul RVG and cut it down. Super cheap super easy, the contour of it works great for a handstop.

sgtrock82
04-23-13, 17:57
If the VFG is a system you already use and like and your not up for spending money on trial and error then Id stick with a short VFG. There are some modular VFG choices out there that might be able to be made shorter or cut one down.

As mentioned above the magpul RVG is a good candidate being cheap and hollow.

scoutchris
04-23-13, 18:22
I have a caa that I just took off my 522. Pm me, you can have it.

berserker
04-23-13, 18:37
I have a caa that I just took off my 522. Pm me, you can have it.

Very generous of you. PM inbound.

SpeedRacer
04-23-13, 18:39
Easy. Buy the Magpul RVG and cut it down. Super cheap super easy, the contour of it works great for a handstop.

What he said. Best of both worlds. It's also not hard to take it a step further and direct mount a MVG to any tube.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/24/gaga5yde.jpg

berserker
04-23-13, 18:41
What he said. Best of both worlds. It's also not hard to take it a step further and direct mount a MVG to any tube.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/24/gaga5yde.jpg

Details? I'll be running a Troy Alpha and if I can forgo the rail section attachment that would be awesome.

SpeedRacer
04-23-13, 19:01
Details? I'll be running a Troy Alpha and if I can forgo the rail section attachment that would be awesome.

Basically...

1. Hack down VFG
2. Fill cavity about 1/4 of the way up with epoxy (I use Acraglass). When you grind the top mounting surface to fit you remove a lot pf material so it needs to be reinforced.
3. Grind down mounting surface to the contour of the tube. This step is actually not necessary other than removing the two nubs that are designed to fit the MOE handguard. It makes the VFG fit more seamlessly and helps prevent it from twisting. The guy I got the idea from used a mill, but I use a spindle sander with a sanding drum very close to the diameter of the tube. Definitely the trickiest part, as doing it with anything other than those two tools would be really hard.
4. Install with red Loctite and tighten the crap out of the screw. Some guys also drill the hole out amd install s bigger bolt/nut. The included hardware has worked fine for me, although the red loctite is a must (ask me how I know).

420ollie
04-23-13, 19:05
I use the same grip as you OP. I tried a direct attach handstop from IWC that Earl sent me. It is a little short for my grip.

I now use a Troy modular grip converted to a stubby. This suits me alot better.

I think the MVG will not fit the Troy. I think it was the contour that will not match up. I seen some where a user shaped the MVG to match the OD of the Troy rail but they also had to reinforce the area that was cut down.

Glock30
04-23-13, 19:08
I'm trying to avoid a lot of money spent on trial and error! :D

reconsider settling for what's cheap,easy and widely suggested ^:D Ask me which beer is better and I'll tell you, "try a few different ones and make a choice" Same thing with grip options. No one can tell you which is better.

mikejg
04-23-13, 19:46
The Magpul XTM handstop kit is relatively inexpensive and may be worth the "trial and error" to determine what works best for you.

TacCommE21
04-23-13, 19:58
Another +1 for the RVG. Because of my light placement it does double duty, so it is not cut down. It is short enough not to be in the way, very light, inexpensive, and solid.

The ones that come on DDs are really long too.

Good luck.

Kalash9305
04-23-13, 20:10
I just put the NSR keymod handstop panels on my new Rogue Hunter ... they are perfect .... and all combined weigh about an ounce lol .... ;)

Brimstone
04-23-13, 22:00
The Magpul XTM handstop kit is relatively inexpensive and may be worth the "trial and error" to determine what works best for you.

I have the Magpul and I really like it so far. Very solid and comfortable.

berserker
04-23-13, 23:00
I have the Magpul and I really like it so far. Very solid and comfortable.

Is it big enough for me to get 2 fingers onto it?

Mariley85
04-23-13, 23:27
i have troy modular vfgs on both of my rifles, and will be putting a third on my next.

nolt
04-24-13, 10:48
+1 to the folks cutting down magpul RVGs...
fail wagon inspired me to do it and I've lopped a couple of them.

if you're in doubt, buy the grip and install it and shoot a bit with it, see how much of it you need and reduce it.

Vandal
04-24-13, 12:27
I'll probably catch some flak for this but has the OP tried the AFG? I was in a similar situation and had tried several short VFGs when I shot with my buddy's AFG. It was exactly what I was looking for and now I have one on each rifle. If you don't like it, sell it. Someone will pick it up.

fail wagon
04-24-13, 14:11
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/sirbikealot7/B5BAC6C2-8B89-4953-BB41-D0E42FFC5BA0-3964-000002132C51E81F.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/sirbikealot7/media/B5BAC6C2-8B89-4953-BB41-D0E42FFC5BA0-3964-000002132C51E81F.jpg.html)

Chrisfb
04-24-13, 16:13
I just put the Larue handstops and index clips on my rail the other day. I think the handstops are very well made and I'm going to keep the forward one I have on the 9 o'clock rail but I can't get the back handstop on the bottom rail to give me the "pull" is need with my grip. I get a bit but the handstop thing isn't working for me as well as a short VFG. Probably going to pull the back handstop and go for stubby VFG.

I do like the index clips but man are they a PITA to get on and now I'm going to have to take some off (ugh) to get the damn handstop off. Probably won't add them back until I'm satisfied due to pain/time factor but I do like them and the forward handstop where I have it mounted.

In theory it looked like it would work but after messing around a bit, just didn't happen for me.

As always YMMV but maybe my experience helps you a bit.

Glock30
04-24-13, 20:00
Is it big enough for me to get 2 fingers onto it?

you can edit/add panels on the XTM HandStop to fit 2,3 & 4 fingers I beleive. The XTM Handstop is another good choice. I picked it up for $16.99 locally and I love it.

davidjinks
04-25-13, 08:52
OP

I've been using VFGs since day one with my ARs. It's primarily used as a handstop and support when shooting from barriers.

Just recently I purchased 2 IWC handstops to run on my MK18 and M4 RIS setups. So far, with the limited shooting I've done, I'm liking them.

I use a thumb over hold when shooting. When using the VFG I find myself getting lazy/lax and going more for gripping the VFG as opposed to a thumb over. With the handstops it forces me to maintain a proper hold while shooting. It's lower profile and can still be used as support while shooting from barriers. Once I get more range time and a class with them, most likely I'll switch over across the board.