PDA

View Full Version : Samson fixed front sight / Meprolight tritium post incompatibility

Shao
04-23-13, 19:16
Being mainly an irons shooter, I always add Meprolight tritium posts to my front sights. Well, to make a long story short - Meprolight tritium posts do not work with the Samson fixed front sight - unless you run the sight backwards. The sight I speak of has the detent on the opposite side, making proper alignment of the Meprolight post impossible. I just wanted to share that in case anyone was thinking of the same combo. I don't know if other brands of tritium front post will work or not - all I have are Mepros. I imagine 4-prong style posts would work fine. That is all.

Iraqgunz
04-23-13, 20:10
Many people don't use them because we figured out rather quickly that the tritium sights are worthless. The front one is (so-so) and the rear is silly. I used them once for a while until I learned.

_Stormin_
04-23-13, 21:23
Curious why you dont find them useful IG?

My only trituim sight expreience was when I had them on a 1911 and found the low light glow so bright (compared to the surrounding darkness) that it killed my ability to get a decent sight picture. The bright dots completely washed out the target beyond the front sight. I now just run black Novaks with white reference dots on the handguns.

I can't imagine that the experience on a rifle would be much different.

imaguy3
04-26-13, 11:46
Meprolight tritium posts do not work with the Samson fixed front sight - unless you run the sight backwards. The sight I speak of has the detent on the opposite side, making proper alignment of the Meprolight post impossible. .... I don't know if other brands of tritium front post will work or not - all I have are Mepros. I imagine 4-prong style posts would work fine. That is all.

Samson's website says it's a "standard mil-spec adjustable sight post which can be adjusted with any standard sight tool."

Where's the detent that you can't orient the tritium to you?

I have this meprolight sight

http://www.amazon.com/Meprolight-AR-15-M-16A1-Tru-Dot-Night/dp/B0002INGN8/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

It comes with a longer detent that holds two "bases" on the sight... You zero the sight using the bottom base (which has 5 notches), and then you orient the night sight towards you using the top base (which also has 5 notches) which swivels around the bottom base..

I found when zeroing mine, the teeth on my front sight tool weren't long enough to completely press the detent to allow elevation adjustment. A paperclip or small eyeglass screwdriver fits to hold the detent down to allow you to adjust the sight. Then the front sight tool by itself worked to rotate the top of the sight to orient the tritium well.

Ameriglo also has a version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OI81AY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00162UTWA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10F04EP6G00YPSWAAY4J

Shao
04-26-13, 12:00
It's because of the five prong design that it won't work. Look at your mepro post - see how the tritium is directly in front of a detent notch? With the five prong design, there's no notch directly in front of the tritium. Since the Samson detent is backwards, the only way to orient the tritium properly is to install the sight itself backwards.

I'll look into the Ameriglo. Any post with 4 notches should be good to go.

Many people don't use them because we figured out rather quickly that the tritium sights are worthless. The front one is (so-so) and the rear is silly. I used them once for a while until I learned.

I don't do rear tritium - front tritium posts are useful - I don't care what anyone says. In a low-light, no NV setting, it gives you a much quicker sight reference. In situations where you've identified your threat and don't want to give away your position, a tritium front post is superior to a weapon mounted light. When I wake up from a bump in the night, I may grab an AR, and it's nice to have a visible reference of your front sight without ruining your night vision. I like tritium, it's fun.

imaguy3
04-26-13, 12:22
It's because of the five prong design that it won't work. Look at your mepro post - see how the tritium is directly in front of a detent notch? With the five prong design, there's no notch directly in front of the tritium. Since the Samson detent is backwards, the only way to orient the tritium properly is to install the sight itself backwards.

I'll look into the Ameriglo. Any post with 4 notches should be good to go.

Oh I get it now... from the picture on Amazon the Ameriglo version looks like it will work, there's a notch directly in front of the tritium

Shao
04-26-13, 13:12
Oh I get it now... from the picture on Amazon the Ameriglo version looks like it will work, there's a notch directly in front of the tritium

Yep.. Went ahead and ordered one. Should be good to go.

Samson1
04-26-13, 21:23
I guess I'm not understanding. Why not just mount a light and move on?