PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube turned in enough to cover the detent?

Krp7894
04-23-13, 21:17
Hey guys, I'm new here. Just got a Smith and Wesson MP15 ORC a few weeks ago. I'm a LEO here in NY so I was able to acquire a few 30 round mags as well as a new collapsible stock (Magpul) for my AR. I removed the fixed stock and tube and replaced it with a UTG 6 position tube and magpul stock. At first I tried to screw the tube an extra rotation because I felt uncomfortable with how little I felt the tube covered the buffer tube detent so I turned one extra rotation which brushed a little too much on the center nipple of the detent. It also may have stretched the detent hole a tad, but really not much. I replaced the detent with a brand new one and put the tube back in and left it at the first configuration I had originally. I also installed the MOE QD swivel back plate. Now I tightened the castle nut nice and tight against the back plate and havent staked it yet because I'd like to know what you guys think. Now I charged the bolt several times to test to see if the spring and detent would pop out at all (if the tube or castle nut backed up) and it stays put just fine. I'm being a bit anal, I know, but I want to make sure I got this down right since I dont want to screw up my new rifle. I haven't shot it yet, I plan to this week, but I'd like to stake the nut first but like I said I want to make sure my lower looks right. What do you think? And the hole doesnt look too bad does it?

Iraqgunz
04-23-13, 21:25
I wouldn't use a UTG part on any firearm.

Krp7894
04-23-13, 21:30
Why's that?

Iraqgunz
04-23-13, 21:31
They are shit parts. Use the search feature above. https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php

Why's that?

Krp7894
04-23-13, 21:34
In that case ill get a new tube ASAP. I don't want crap parts on my new rifle. Ill wait to stake it in that case. Regardless is it setup correctly? And I'm assuming with a better tube I can cover the pin better.

saddlerocker
04-23-13, 21:41
Personally I think it will be ok..... But, while your waiting for your new receiver extension, you COULD cut a small notch in the UTG tube so you can get one more rotation, but not be up against the pin.

Krp7894
04-23-13, 21:43
The tube came with a kit with the moe stock. It does seen a little cheap to me and I see vltor stag and bcm are among the top choices. I'd buy whatever's best regardless of price. My main concern is that I do this right.

_Stormin_
04-23-13, 21:47
Then snap up the BCM if they're in stock..

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extension-Buffer-Tube-p/bcm%20milspec%20receiver%20extension.htm

Hmac
04-23-13, 21:49
It doesn't take much engagement to keep the detent retained.

In buying a replacement buffer tube, be aware of the difference between commercial and milspec. The UTG tube you bought is apparently milspec diameter.

AeroEngi
04-23-13, 21:54
It doesn't take much engagement to keep the detent retained.

In buying a replacement buffer tube, be aware of the difference between commercial and milspec.

This.

Whatever buffer tube you decide to buy, make sure the tube and the stock match. For example, if you get a mil-spec stock, be certain to get a mil-spec buffer tube.

Good luck.

Krp7894
04-23-13, 21:54
My lower us milspec. I'm just not sure if my stock (MOE a frame stock) would work with the tube. It's not the STR.

IYAAYASwarrior
04-23-13, 22:09
I would just use the orange search button at the top of the screen. I spend alot of time reading and learning to avoid asking repetitive questions. Good luck with your rifle, enjoy!

Krp7894
04-23-13, 22:22
Thanks all for the help. I'm gonna shoot it for the first time this week regardless but I'm getting a better tube. Thanks guys.

And I just ordered the BCM milspec buffer tube off Bravo Company.

Hmac
04-24-13, 00:27
My lower us milspec. I'm just not sure if my stock (MOE a frame stock) would work with the tube. It's not the STR.

MOE comes in both diameters, but if your MOE fit the UTG then its the milspec version and it will fit the BCM.

Army Chief
04-24-13, 08:08
... and nobody ever went wrong investing in a BCM part.

Problem (should be) solved, though I probably would have wanted to get one more turn on the extension, versus what was revealed in the picture above. It's just somewhat difficult to tell if the detent is adequately engaged from that view, since we've no idea how much play (if any) you're dealing with. It may actually be fine. As stated, it doesn't really take that much contact to secure it, and if you can't force it to clear -- even partially -- with moderate lateral pressure, then you're good to go.

AC

Travis B
04-24-13, 08:47
Avoid whatever vendor you purchased the RE/stock combo like the plague. Are you sure your stock is not an airsoft knockoff?

If you're wanting to do things right, go in this order: read (orange search button), shoot, and then modify (only if necessary).

The tube came with a kit with the moe stock. It does seen a little cheap to me and I see vltor stag and bcm are among the top choices. I'd buy whatever's best regardless of price. My main concern is that I do this right.

Army Chief
04-24-13, 09:07
We point the way to the SEARCH button quite often here (and rightly so), but just to be clear, this is only because these issues tend to be well-represented in past conversation threads -- not because anyone objects to the OP raising the topic, or wishes to project any ill will.

One of the more significant problems that we tend to see in the AR world is the influx of hobby-grade parts and rifles being marketed and sold as true MILSPEC/service-grade equivalents. Since they all look largely the same, the unsuspecting consumer is rarely aware of the problem up front. In this instance, I too would be slightly concerned that I may have invested in some PTS/Airsoft components, rather than a true service-grade receiver extension and stock.

Of these two, the extension is probably the more serious concern, and you've already taken steps to correct that. Just be cautious with future purchases, and avoid discount houses or suppliers who do not have a clear reputation for stocking top-shelf components. We screen our advertisers pretty heavily here on M4C (and still turn away the majority of requests), so this can give you a quick azimuth as to who is reputable right off the bat. We've also got plenty of past thread activity on "where to buy ..." and why.

Again, while questions are always welcome, most of this is fairly accessible via a search or two. Just might save you some time, and in other cases, allow a less-experienced member to ask a more informed question when he does choose to start a new thread.

AC

polymorpheous
04-24-13, 09:41
Thanks all for the help. I'm gonna shoot it for the first time this week regardless but I'm getting a better tube. Thanks guys.

And I just ordered the BCM milspec buffer tube off Bravo Company.

Do you have a mil-spec diameter stock body?

Krp7894
04-24-13, 09:56
Yes I have a milspec diameter stock. As for the detent, I pushed it many times and even charged the bolt many times to see if it would pop out and it never budged. I saw pictures online of tubes that barely touch the center post and that's wha concerned me is all.

polymorpheous
04-24-13, 10:08
I was unaware UTG made a mil-spec diameter tube.

Hmac
04-24-13, 10:15
I was unaware UTG made a mil-spec diameter tube.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Mil-spec-6-position-Receiver-Extension/dp/B003QTLU5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366816474&sr=8-1&keywords=utg+buffer+tube

Krp7894
04-24-13, 10:22
My buffer, spring, and castle nut are all BCM and my stock is MOE400 carbine milspec. Just the tube is UTG. I actually bought a UTG rail riser for my scope and found it to be not quite sturdy enough and returned that as well. Because the tube came as a package I'm just going to throw it out once the BCM gets here.

Funny, I've read some reviews on the UTG tube and they've called it a "fake" milspec tube. I also read the threads are a bit off which could be why it barely reaches my detent.

Army Chief
04-24-13, 10:34
I'm just impressed by the rate at which you seem to assimilate knowledge. Looks to me like you're in the right place.

AC

Obscenejesster
04-24-13, 10:46
Just to make it clear, that buffer detent does nothing when your rifle is put together. Nothing should be hitting that detent if your rifle is functioning properly. The only thing that detent is for is to keep the buffer and spring from launching across the room when you remove your upper. If the buffer tube is holding he detent down right now then I see no reason why it wouldn't hold it down the next time you remove your upper.

The UTG thing is a whole different story. Glad you returned it.

ScatmanCrothers
04-24-13, 10:54
My buffer, spring, and castle nut are all BCM and my stock is MOE400 carbine milspec. Just the tube is UTG. I actually bought a UTG rail riser for my scope and found it to be not quite sturdy enough and returned that as well. Because the tube came as a package I'm just going to throw it out once the BCM gets here.

Funny, I've read some reviews on the UTG tube and they've called it a "fake" milspec tube. I also read the threads are a bit off which could be why it barely reaches my detent.

I'm not sure UTG has any QC limitations. If Harbor Freight sold AR parts they'd carry the entire UTG line is how I'd best describe them.

Like mentioned earlier, avoid any vendors that carry their parts all together. Just a solid rule of thumb going forward.

Krp7894
04-24-13, 11:19
AC, I'm doing as much research as possible based on what I'm hearing in the forums. I couldn't find much on what I was looking for so I asked here and I'm glad I did. The forums have been a lot of help.

I have removed the upper a few times and each time the buffer stays put and doesn't move. So since that's not an issue all I have to do now is switch the buffer tube to the better quality BCM tube. It's a great rifle and I want to make sure only upper quality parts go with it.

Surf
04-24-13, 13:32
First off, welcome to the forum!

Just to reiterate, be aware that there are sellers out there who are passing "knock off" Magpul gear as the real deal. Often they bundle with other less than desirable, or cheap parts. As has been mentioned, certain brands known to be of lesser quality bundled with a supposedly top notch part or accessory might be a red flag and something that is deserving of a bit more scrutiny before purchase.

As for your receiver extension (buffer tube), if you have the same issue with your new extension and if there is a problem with the tube holding the pin captive, you can get one more rotation and relieve (file, shave etc) the tube end to give more clearance for the retaining pin if needed.

Krp7894
04-24-13, 13:40
Thanks for the welcome.

I was told about a lot of knock off and air soft stuff. I can definitely see how the UTG tube looks cheap. As for the magpul stock I have no complaints with it. Normally with guns I buy all my parts at a dealer to be on the safe side but here in NY finding things like collapsible stocks or buffer tubes is near impossible right now, even for LEOs.

As for the BCM tube, it already shipped today via USPS from bravo company. Hopefully ill have it by Saturday.

Obscenejesster
04-24-13, 14:24
Yea man. Not only does BCM make top notch parts. They ship those top notch parts insanely fast. I love working with them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Pork Chop
04-24-13, 14:38
You're on the right track, but don't toss that UTG tube! eBay is a valuable asset to the new owner who finds out he bought undesirable parts. There are throngs of locusts buying up parts. You can likely sell that tube for more than its worth on eBay and recoup some costs.

Just remember, we only SELL gun parts on eBay...........we NEVER, EVER BUY gun parts on eBay. :)

Ryno12
04-24-13, 14:43
Yea man. Not only does BCM make top notch parts. They ship those top notch parts insanely fast. I love working with them.

Off track, I know but Yes, that is true. I ordered a BCG yesterday & it's already here & installed... but I only live an hour away. ;)

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk 2

Krp7894
04-24-13, 14:53
I agree about ebay. It's hit or miss. Guns aren't something I want to cheap out on.

fdxpilot
04-24-13, 17:38
You're on the right track, but don't toss that UTG tube! eBay is a valuable asset to the new owner who finds out he bought undesirable parts. There are throngs of locusts buying up parts. You can likely sell that tube for more than its worth on eBay and recoup some costs.

Just remember, we only SELL gun parts on eBay...........we NEVER, EVER BUY gun parts on eBay. :)

Personally, if I won't use a part on one of my weapons, I sure am not going to pawn it off on some unknowledgeable newbie on e-bay.

Pork Chop
04-24-13, 18:07
Personally, if I won't use a part on one of my weapons, I sure am not going to pawn it off on some unknowledgeable newbie on e-bay.

To each their own.

I could care less what people buy. I wouldn't be dishonest and sell broken or defective parts, but it's up to the buyer to decide if the quality meets their standards or not. It's not my problem. You can't spoon feed everyone.

polymorpheous
04-24-13, 18:11
I'll take the tube off of you if you are just going to toss it.
It would do good on a dedicated .22 build.
PM if you'll part with it.

Krp7894
04-27-13, 00:15
Just installed the new BCM tube, talk about much much better. The UTG tube definitely wasnt a true milspec if you ask me. What do you guys think?

DJ_Skinny
04-27-13, 01:44
Just installed the new BCM tube, talk about much much better. The UTG tube definitely wasnt a true milspec if you ask me. What do you guys think?

Yes, much better. Now go shoot it!

AeroEngi
04-27-13, 03:30

Nice! Glad it worked out. Now go shoot it and have fun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Krp7894
05-24-13, 12:54
I know this is old but I shot my mp15 for the first time this past weekend, shot like a gem with no issues. The buffer retainer stayed put and the tube didn't loosen up and I haven't even staked the castle nut on it. Now I just got to zero my scope.

Krp7894
05-24-13, 12:55
I know this is old but I shot my mp15 for the first time this past weekend, shot like a gem with no issues. The buffer retainer stayed put and the tube didn't loosen up and I haven't even staked the castle nut on it. Now I just got to zero my scope which I'm having a hard time learning to do.

markm
05-24-13, 13:03
That's the trick with REs. Milspec has mutated into a few meanings. tube diameter and Actual total manufacturing, materials, and finish specifications.

Iraqgunz
05-25-13, 16:07
I will say this again for the hundredth time. If you actually shoot your carbine and it is not torqued and staked properly it will eventually work loose. Trust me when I say this.

I know this is old but I shot my mp15 for the first time this past weekend, shot like a gem with no issues. The buffer retainer stayed put and the tube didn't loosen up and I haven't even staked the castle nut on it. Now I just got to zero my scope.

Obscenejesster
05-25-13, 20:21
I will say this again for the hundredth time. If you actually shoot your carbine and it is not torqued and staked properly it will eventually work loose. Trust me when I say this.

Question for you. The rifle I just built has an IKH Slap plate and the way it was designed I was only able to get one stake in the castle nut. I also added some blue loctite but do you think the one stake should be good?