PDA

View Full Version : "Never Go Full Retard"

WillBrink
04-24-13, 07:30
We are doomed.... :shout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

Williams-Sonoma store pulls pressure cookers from shelves following Boston bombing

pressure cookerLooking to buy a pressure cooker for that new recipe you’re wanting to try? The Natick Mall near Boston might not be the best place to shop.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, the mall’s Williams-Sonoma store has removed pressure cookers from its shelves. The bombers used pressure cookers as part of the explosive devices that killed three and wounded more than 180 people at last week’s race.

“It’s a temporary thing out of respect,” the store manager said.

Pressure cookers are still available on the Williams-Sonoma website, and other Boston-area stores that sell the cookers are keeping their shelves stocked, according to Patch.

Many people took to Twitter to voice their disapproval of the Williams-Sonoma store’s choice to remove pressure cookers, pointing out that other things sold in the kitchenware shop could also be used to inflict harm. Tweeters noted the dangers in knives, cheese graters and scissors.

Perhaps the best point was that a bomber would most likely purchase a much less expensive pressure cooker at a place like Walmart, instead of shopping at Williams-Sonoma.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/04/23/williams-sonoma-store-pulls-pressure-cookers-from-shelves-following-boston-bombing/

Koshinn
04-24-13, 08:49
We are doomed.... :shout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

Williams-Sonoma store pulls pressure cookers from shelves following Boston bombing

pressure cookerLooking to buy a pressure cooker for that new recipe you’re wanting to try? The Natick Mall near Boston might not be the best place to shop.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, the mall’s Williams-Sonoma store has removed pressure cookers from its shelves. The bombers used pressure cookers as part of the explosive devices that killed three and wounded more than 180 people at last week’s race.

“It’s a temporary thing out of respect,” the store manager said.

Pressure cookers are still available on the Williams-Sonoma website, and other Boston-area stores that sell the cookers are keeping their shelves stocked, according to Patch.

Many people took to Twitter to voice their disapproval of the Williams-Sonoma store’s choice to remove pressure cookers, pointing out that other things sold in the kitchenware shop could also be used to inflict harm. Tweeters noted the dangers in knives, cheese graters and scissors.

Perhaps the best point was that a bomber would most likely purchase a much less expensive pressure cooker at a place like Walmart, instead of shopping at Williams-Sonoma.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/04/23/williams-sonoma-store-pulls-pressure-cookers-from-shelves-following-boston-bombing/

I think you're missing the point, as are a lot of people.

jpmuscle
04-24-13, 08:52

If the point your referring to is that they are simply doing it out of respect for those killed, well their point is an irrational one at best.

streck
04-24-13, 08:52
When will Home Depot, temporarily out of respect, remove all hammers from its shelves in the cities of the 700 more victims killed by hammers?

WillBrink
04-24-13, 08:53

'Splain us the point please. :agree:

WillBrink
04-24-13, 08:57
When will Home Depot, temporarily out of respect, remove all hammers from its shelves in the cities of the 700 more victims killed by hammers?

I don't think there were any hammers in those pressure cookers, but perhaps a week long moratorium on nails? Respect for the injured and dead is a noble deed (assuming that's their actual intent of removing pressure cookers) but it smells more like an idiotic PR stunt drummed who went full retard. :neo:

Ryno12
04-24-13, 08:58
Will, you definitely have knack for finding stories about some of the dumbest people. :)

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk 2

WillBrink
04-24-13, 09:00
Will, you definitely have knack for finding stories about some of the dumbest people. :)

It's a gift...

jpmuscle
04-24-13, 09:02
Took 9 posts before we got a meme? I'm shocked.

http://troll.me/images/full-retard/you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retard.jpg

:lol:

fwiw though not selling pressure cookers out some illogical sense of grief makes about as much sense as putting signs that say terrorism free zones.

sadmin
04-24-13, 09:14
/edit.. nevermind

ReaperAZ
04-24-13, 09:18
Man I tell ya, I love this country and its retards more and more every day.:jester:

Army Chief
04-24-13, 09:21
Returned from a quick trip to New Jersey last week, and while there we were given a old pressure cooker by a family member. Mrs. AC was fairly insistent about it being packed as low as possible under everything else (SUV), and given our New Hampshire license plates, I suppose she was right to insist on a certain abundance of caution.

Even so, stories like this one with Williams-Sonoma only serve to underscore the mush-minded logic that we seem to apply in these situations. Remove the pressure cookers, but don't bother looking a bit more closely at who is actually shopping in the store, right? Symbolism over substance seems to have become our new mantra.

Sad.

AC

Shokr21
04-24-13, 09:25
I guess I'm hoping that they're doing this voluntary withdrawal of product to show how incredibly ridiculous it is to vindicate an inanimate object for the actions of a murderer.

Maybe likening pressure cookers to "assault weapons". Some called for a weapons ban after the recent volume of shootings. Why aren't those same calling for pressure cooker bans?

That's the way I'd like to see it spun, as a satirical statement of let's use common sense and blame the people not the objects they use.

my $.02 whatever they are worth.

Koshinn
04-24-13, 09:32
If the point your referring to is that they are simply doing it out of respect for those killed, well their point is an irrational one at best.

Yep. The point isn't to prevent future bombers, it's to show some respect for the 200 wounded or dead. It's so their families don't have to see a reminder about the bombs while shopping for kitchen appliances and utensils.

But I agree it's irrational, like candle light vigils, moments of silence, and saying prayers.

But comments about how they're demonizing or banning pressure cookers are missing the point, regardless of how relevant the point is.

WillBrink
04-24-13, 09:45
Returned from a quick trip to New Jersey last week, and while there we were given a old pressure cooker by a family member. Mrs. AC was fairly insistent about it being packed as low as possible under everything else (SUV), and given our New Hampshire license plates, I suppose she was right to insist on a certain abundance of caution.

Even so, stories like this one with Williams-Sonoma only serve to underscore the mush-minded logic that we seem to apply in these situations. Remove the pressure cookers, but don't bother looking a bit more closely at who is actually shopping in the store, right? Symbolism over substance seems to have become our new mantra.

Sad.

AC

It's very dangerous to have one of those and I'm frankly surprised to survived the trip. Is it a high capacity pressure cooker??! :cool:

Ironman8
04-24-13, 09:46
Yep. The point isn't to prevent future bombers, it's to show some respect for the 200 wounded or dead. It's so their families don't have to see a reminder about the bombs while shopping for kitchen appliances and utensils.

But I agree it's irrational, like candle light vigils, moments of silence, and saying prayers.

But comments about how they're demonizing or banning pressure cookers are missing the point, regardless of how relevant the point is.

It's not the pressure cooker that killed/wounded those people. Not even close to being the same as moments of silence, prayers, ect.

WillBrink
04-24-13, 09:53

I know you're not supporting it per se, just pointing out the intent, so following comments not directed at you:

More people died in a week on highways and no cars removed from showrooms, and 5,928,172,038 possible examples of how inane that is, which to me, smells like a scummy PR move than real attempt at showing some meaningful respect for the victims, like donating a big chunk of $$ to the fund to assist victims (maybe they already have, don't know), and other more seemingly useful responses that don't leave one scratching their head wondering if we have truly gotten to point of no return for this country.

Army Chief
04-24-13, 09:56
It's very dangerous to have one of those and I'm frankly surprised to survived the trip. Is it a high capacity pressure cooker??! :cool:

It is; however, I have noticed (and this only my personal observation) that, if you don't pack your T-Fal full of explosives, ball bearings and nails, they generally don't pose a significant danger to the public at large. Naturally, as this was a family gift, there was no background check, meaning we can cook as much pot roast as we like without any real fear of Big Brother looking over our shoulders.

I think I need to tell Mrs. AC to pick up a roast while she's out, actually. That sounds like a terrific dinner idea for tonight.

AC

Army Chief
04-24-13, 09:59
Not even close to being the same as moments of silence, prayers, ect.

Aye. By way of respectful dissent, chalk me up as another disinclined to discount the power of sending prayers. Every breath I take today ought to serve as a fairly persuasive counterpoint to that particular assertion. ;)

AC

WillBrink
04-24-13, 10:04
It is; however, I have noticed (and this only my personal observation) that, if you don't pack your T-Fal full of explosives, ball bearings and nails, they generally don't pose a significant danger to the public at large. Naturally, as this was a family gift, there was no background check, meaning we can cook as much pot roast as we like without any real fear of Big Brother looking over our shoulders.

I think I need to tell Mrs. AC to pick up a roast while she's out, actually. That sounds like a terrific dinner idea for tonight.

AC

Yes sir it does! Enjoy. We use slow cooker (Crock Pot) for roasts and all manner of things, and it's a great way to cook, and another forgotten tool for the kitchen people have ignored in favor of fast food or high tech, etc.

In college, my mother gave me a crock pot and recipes for it, and it was the best thing ever. Easy, cheap, throw ingredients in the morning, come home to entire meal waiting for you.

Still remember one recipe: chicken parts, cup of rice, box of frozen vegis, sausage, water, seasoning. Dump in, turn on low, leave for school. :cool:

Ironman8
04-24-13, 10:07
Aye. By way of respectful dissent, chalk me up as another disinclined to discount the power of sending prayers. Every breath I take today ought to serve as a fairly persuasive counterpoint to that particular assertion. ;)

AC

Just to be sure that I was clear on my response to Koshinn, I was saying that pulling pressure cookers wasn't even close to the same as sending prayers...although it is very possible I may be misreading your reply to my post.

100% agree on the bold portion and I hope you know I've been invested (as much as I humbly can) in your continued healing. :)

Army Chief
04-24-13, 10:14
Just to be sure that I was clear on my response to Koshinn, I was saying that pulling pressure cookers wasn't even close to the same as sending prayers...although it is very possible I may be misreading your reply to my post.

100% agree on the bold portion and I hope you know I've been invested (as much as I humbly can) in your continued healing. :)

I meant to clarify that I too was responding to Kosh, but I happen to like the guy, and didn't want to inadvertently create an offense by being more specific. The confusion created here is on my account -- not yours, brother. And ... I do thank you for your many prayers on my behalf. Means a lot.

AC

No.6
04-24-13, 10:15
This is America and as American's we are guaranteed by the Constitution the right to go full retard. And from the looks of it, that's one Right that is being fully exercised.

Ironman8
04-24-13, 10:21
I meant to clarify that I too was responding to Kosh, but I happen to like the guy, and didn't want to inadvertently create an offense by being more specific. The confusion created here is on my account -- not yours, brother. And ... I do thank you for your many prayers on my behalf. Means a lot.

AC

Good to know we're on the same page AC. Apologies for being a bit dense and bringing out the specifics.

And I know you'd the same for me. It's the least (and most) I could do. ;)

jpmuscle
04-24-13, 10:31

Except such actions or decisions do nothing more then feed into the already pervasive and corrosive nature of fear.

Koshinn
04-24-13, 11:09

AC

I don't want to go off topic too much, but I'm not a religious person. I don't believe in the power of anonymous prayer without the knowledge of the recipient. Nothing has ever shown it to make a difference, for every person that miraculously pulls through terminal illness, another few die, even though both were prayed for. But I do believe in the power of the mind, and if a person receives support, that person is more likely to fight harder to pull through. Psychologically, knowing people care helps a lot and that can translate to physically recovering faster or just recovering at all. Maybe believing that God is on your side due to prayer is something like taking a placebo sugar pill. But saying prayers for someone you don't know, in my opinion, and according to controlled studies, does nothing for the recipient of the prayers.

I also believe that chiefs are almost impossible to kill, so there's that.

And I think God, being all knowing and all powerful, has a plan. I don't think he'd change it because you asked really nicely. And I don't presume to think God tests people's faith by killing or injuring their family members. That's just mean.

Back on topic, this has nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with association of a fairly uncommon or even rare household item with a very recent tragedy. Cars are so common you can't get away from them. But WS took a small step in one geographically close store temporarily to ease some of the suffering. It's really not some conspiracy to ban pressure cookers.

The_War_Wagon
04-24-13, 11:14

DAMN straight!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Hammer_Deaths.jpg

chadbag
04-24-13, 11:22
Yes sir it does! Enjoy. We use slow cooker (Crock Pot) for roasts and all manner of things, and it's a great way to cook, and another forgotten tool for the kitchen people have ignored in favor of fast food or high tech, etc.

fast food -- that's why you get a pressure cooker. It's the opposite of a slow cooker.

Though we have one of those new fangled electric pressure cookers. So easy, even someone like me can cook with it (unlike a traditional pressure cooker where you have to monitor things)

In college, my mother gave me a crock pot and recipes for it, and it was the best thing ever. Easy, cheap, throw ingredients in the morning, come home to entire meal waiting for you.

Still remember one recipe: chicken parts, cup of rice, box of frozen vegis, sausage, water, seasoning. Dump in, turn on low, leave for school. :cool:

Army Chief
04-24-13, 11:39
I also believe that chiefs are almost impossible to kill, so there's that.

And I think God, being all knowing and all powerful, has a plan.

Ah yes, you probably have a point there. ;)

As to the latter excerpt, I would certainly agree. Even in my own situation, while I appreciate those who pray for healing, I myself pray more pointedly for God's will to be done through my circumstances, regardless of whether it ultimately means life or death for me.

Understand where you're coming from ideologically, and I find your position to be perfectly cogent. I'm just willing to recognize something more of the reality and power of prayer because, as a man of faith, I see much of what has happened in recent months as a result of a more direct intervention, and the Bible makes it fairly plain that the "effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (or so I remember from my KJV memorization days). Can't prove that with our usual metrics, but through the eyes of faith, I absolutely know it to be true. Either way, I know you've been right in the mix with positive thoughts and good wishes, and I suspect that God can use those just as readily. ;)

Back on topic ...

AC

brickboy240
04-24-13, 12:04
Have you ever been in one of their stores?

You would have to be "full retard" to pay their prices for kitchen items.

LOL

-brickboy240