PDA

View Full Version : P226 Mec gear .40 mags wont allow full capacity

kyler226
04-24-13, 14:11
I recently bought 2 mecgear sig sauer p226 mags secondhand. For some odd reason I can load twelve .40 rounds into the mag but once I load it in my 226 it wont fully lock into place. And once I rack (slingshot or ease the slide into battery) it chambers the first round just fine but the mag pops partly out. If I ony load 11- rounds in there everything functions 100%. The only noticable difference between the mecgear followers and the factory sig followers different shapes. Anyone have similar experiences/ possible solutions? Thanks.

brickboy240
04-24-13, 15:17
Over the years of playing around with my 3 early SIG P-series guns one thing I have learned. Stick with factory SIG magazines.

I know...MecGar supposedly makes mags for Beretta, SIG and others but with my 3 SIGs...I have gotten 100% function only out of mags that SAY SIG Sauer on them. Everything else has been iffy.

The Mec Gar mags for my P228 are iffy feeders. The factory ones that came with the gun plus two sort of ratty looking police trade factory mags I bought off GB work 100% Why...I do not know. they look identical...minus the SIG logo.

Strange...but this is my experience...so far.

Odd because with 1911s, it seems the opposite is true...dump your factory mags right away for Wilson aftermarkets! LOL

-brickboy240

kyler226
04-24-13, 22:02
Yeah the sig factory mag followers are dinky little things compared to the mecgar followers. Im thinking also that the last owner of the mecgar mags didnt compress the spring as much as mecgar expects their consumers to. Thanks again

TheJRK
04-24-13, 22:49
I have six mags for my P229 in .40, three are Sig mags and the other three are MecGar. No problems with any of them even after a 2 day pistol course in muddy conditions. I took them apart when I got home and they were filled with mud. I was surprised I didn't have any FTF or other issues considering how dirty they were.

williejc
04-24-13, 23:10
I forget the brand, but once I had this trouble with a mag with plastic floor plate. It had an upward facing tit or nub or stud whose purpose was to limit follower travel so you would'nt force one more round in and cause a jam. The remedy was simple. Check it.

A remote possibility is that the mag cut out interfacing with the mag catch may require relieving--also a simple fix. Another possible solution is removing material from folower's bottom. Even if you fix the problem, I suggest range use for the mags if the first idea doesn't apply.

kyler226
04-25-13, 00:09
Willies idea might be it and theJRK did you always load them to full capacity? When I load 11- in the mags theyve worked perfect at range through hours of dryfire

Briman1001
04-25-13, 10:25
Same here. I have p226 mecgar 9mm mags that hold 18 and I always leave a round out because they seem to be so full that they don't want to seat properly. With 17 they load, fire, and function perfectly. I think that extra round is one to many. I do use them as range/backup mags and keep the factory mags at the ready.

TheJRK
04-25-13, 12:54
theJRK did you always load them to full capacity? When I load 11- in the mags theyve worked perfect at range through hours of dryfire

Yep, 12 rounds every time in each one of them. I've even done reloads where I took out a half full mag and inserted a full mag with one round in the chamber. I had to slap it in pretty good but it worked fine.

Maybe since I've had my mags for over 7 years now they are just broken-in better?

LMT Shooter
04-25-13, 21:08
I've had 5 SIG's, some with German mags, some with Mec-Gar mags (they were the factory mags for years), and 2 of the newer US made mags. I have bought many Mec-Gar aftermarket mags, and I have a total of over 30 mags I think. Zero problems of any kind with any of them. All take the full number of rounds they are supposed to & feed reliably. I'd contact the manufacturer.

I think pretty highly of Mec-Gar mags based on my experience with 5 guns, dozens of mags of various manufacture, & tens of thousands of rounds fired.

kyler226
04-25-13, 21:31
I guess I was lucky enough to get some lemons of mecgar:eek: thats for all the input fellas!

LMT Shooter
04-25-13, 22:33
I just re-read your post & see that you got them secondhand. Are they from a trustworthy source, since manufacturers won't back a product that has been modified very well?

I have zero experience with Mec-Gar's CS, since I've been lucky enough not to need it.

I also see you are a new member. M4 is a great place to learn a lot of stuff. Welcome aboard!

kyler226
04-25-13, 22:41
Just from a guy off private exchange website but I dont think he maintened them as well as he should have due to initial inspection of them found small rusting and brass chips on inside of mag and thank you this forums members are great with citing their info and have reasonable views on all aspects of topics discussed

ra2bach
04-26-13, 10:33
Just from a guy off private exchange website but I dont think he maintened them as well as he should have due to initial inspection of them found small rusting and brass chips on inside of mag and thank you this forums members are great with citing their info and have reasonable views on all aspects of topics discussed

my experience with MecGar mags for P226 is very good but I only have 9MM, not .40.

I would order new springs and followers, check baseplate against known good ones. it might be a solution. at the very least, you will have spares...