PDA

View Full Version : Bar-Sto 226 threaded barrels

kyler226
04-24-13, 22:19
Anyone out there have anything about these barrels or any other .40 sig sauer 226 barrels? Sig doesnt make threaded barrels in .40 :mad:

Coal Dragger
04-24-13, 22:58
I have never shot a Bar-Sto barrel, but I have inspected a few and they looked really really nice. A few weeks ago I had a chance to talk to Irv Stone for quite awhile at a gun show in Rapid City. He said they are pretty backed up, and lead times are running every bit of 14 weeks or more for barrels. He said this is due to the amount of time it takes to get barrel blanks back from heat treating and magnaflux inspection for finish machining into specific barrels.

After talking to him I would not hesitate to buy a barrel from him and have it fitted, plus he also does some nice gunsmith work including building full 1911's and STI 2011's.

Other than maybe Fred Kart's barrels I doubt there are many other auto-pistol barrels being made today that are of better quality than a Bar-Sto. Of course they are priced accordingly.

Coal Dragger
04-24-13, 23:06
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. Irv told me that his chambers run on the tight side of things, and unless the gun is properly assembled and fitted this can cause issues with feeding. Shouldn't be a problem with a SIG, but on some 1911's I guess it can be. He also warned against sloppy practices when reloading ammo, especially where it comes to cleaning and resizing brass and ensuring no case bulging from other steps like bullet seating/crimping. Basically if you can't be bothered to reload properly and make dimensionally correct ammo, don't expect your tight match chambered Bar-Sto barrel to run right.

He will open up the chamber a little on request though if you're worried about it.

kyler226
04-25-13, 00:05
Sweet info thanks ver much. I saw a guy at the range with a .40 229 with supressor and thats when I learned of barsto barrels. The only thing I mainly worry about is of course feeding issues and accuracy versus my factory sig barrel. Ive seen videos of this gun hitting 10x10 steel at 100 yds so id hate sacrifice that for the option of running a supressor

Coal Dragger
04-25-13, 14:39
Well the Marine Corps pistol team, the Army Marksmanship Unit, many high end custom gunsmiths, and probably 50% or more of pistol competitors at Camp Perry national matches are running a Bar-Sto barrel. That should tell you what you need to know.