PDA

View Full Version : Carry Handle help

captdreifus
04-25-13, 12:23
I have a question about the tightening of the carry handle. I know this subject has been covered before in 2010 and 2012 since I did use the search function. My question now is how tight is too tight, and will over tightening the carry handle damage the receiver? This was not discussed in the other threads.

I am using a BCM mid-length upper with carry handle that I bought ~2009-2010 and tightened the thumb screws to hand tight plus 1 whole extra turn. I also purchased 5k worth of ammo when it was at a more reasonable price.

At around the 800 round mark on the rifle, I noticed the CH was loosening up. I did not have thread locker at the time since I was at the range. I tightened again to the witness marks. Another 150 rounds or so the carry handle was getting loose again.

When I got home, I removed the CH and cleaned the threads to the thumb screws. I then used blue thread locker and tightened the thumb screws to hand tight and this time to 1 3/4 turn extra so the thumb screw notches were both parallel. There was some creak when I was tightening it up.

So is this too tight? Am I damaging something? This is a defensive weapon and I did not want my sighting system fall off when I would need it most.

Thanks,
Capt

markm
04-25-13, 12:32
You should be good now. Keep an eye on it.

I tighten mine up with a big screw driver, but I don't give it much more than good and snug.

captdreifus
04-25-13, 12:41
I also failed to mention that I cannot turn the thumb screws anymore.

T2C
04-25-13, 12:45
I tighten the screws as tight as I can with a quarter inserted into the slot on the screw.

agr1279
04-25-13, 12:45
I also failed to mention that I cannot turn the thumb screws anymore.

How much have you tightened them? Is it due to removing the knurls on the nuts or are they bottoming out?

Dan

Doc Safari
04-25-13, 12:49
I tighten the screws as tight as I can with a quarter inserted into the slot on the screw.

I do that, but I hold the quarter with a SOG multi-plier. That gives me a little extra, and it did eventually "bottom out" where I couldn't turn it anymore.

captdreifus
04-25-13, 12:53
They are most likely bottoming out. Is there going to be damage to either the receiver or CH?

scoutchris
04-25-13, 12:56
You're totally fine. Don't worry about it. Shoot that bitch and enjoy.

samuse
04-25-13, 13:50
Are you pulling the studs through the handle?

I go finger tight + 1/4 turn [max] with a screw driver. Make sure the sight is butted up to the front of the rail slot.

I got that from Trijicon's installation instructions on their ACOGS. Same type of hardware. Never had a problem.

captdreifus
04-25-13, 13:52
Sorry, what do you mean by pulling studs through the handle?

markm
04-25-13, 14:00
Sorry, what do you mean by pulling studs through the handle?

The studs are press fit into the forging of the handle. Look on the opposite side of the handle from where the knobs are.

Are they getting pulled into the handle?

captdreifus
04-25-13, 14:03
The studs are press fit into the forging of the handle. Look on the opposite side of the handle from where the knobs are.

Are they getting pulled into the handle?

I'll have to check once I get home from work.

What if they are being pulled into the handle?

markm
04-25-13, 14:07
I'll have to check once I get home from work.

What if they are being pulled into the handle?

Then there's way too much torque.

HelloLarry
04-25-13, 15:03
I agree, it shouldn't need any more tightening than that.
If yours wont stay tight, I'd go the Loctite route because you sure as heck aren't going to find the nuts anywhere as replacement parts.

texasgunhand
04-25-13, 22:40
trolling

discreet
04-25-13, 23:05
trolling

Whats up with the new members who just recently joined that make comments like trolling and the such.

If you dont have any helpful or contributing response its probably best to keep one word spam comments off the board.

OP, its a judgement call. Tightness wont prevent loosening. It was loosening as it didnt have anything to keep it from not loosening. Vibration always helps loosen things up. Just get it nice and snug after adding a bit of loc tite, which u already did. Should be g2g now.

captdreifus
04-26-13, 02:18
trolling
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8683106226_fdeeaa0190.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93450890@N04/8683106226/)

The two studs are still flush with the handle. So I'm assuming that its GTG?

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far.

MistWolf
04-26-13, 08:13
One thing that will help is, once the carry handle is steeled into the slots, is to push it forward as you're tightening the thumb screws. This will butt the screws up against the vertical stop in the slot to remove any gap and prevent slippage under recoil. Slipping under recoil can cause the carry handle to shoot loose

markm
04-26-13, 08:31
One thing that will help is, once the carry handle is steeled into the slots, is to push it forward as you're tightening the thumb screws. This will butt the screws up against the vertical stop in the slot to remove any gap and prevent slippage under recoil. Slipping under recoil can cause the carry handle to shoot loose

I have a gun that doesn't like that theory. I put the handle on, butted forward... and it slid back. :confused: So I loosened it and moved it back forward, and it's back again. Strange... but I just left it after that.

I guess the bolt's forward movement in the cycle is snappier than the rearward movement.

T2C
04-26-13, 08:38
I have a gun that doesn't like that theory. I put the handle on, butted forward... and it slid back. :confused: So I loosened it and moved it back forward, and it's back again. Strange... but I just left it after that.

I guess the bolt's forward movement in the cycle is snappier than the rearward movement.

I had one carbine that did the same thing. If it bothers you, you can always install a shim. I placed a small shim made from a piece of beer can between the receiver and the carry handle. A lot people I know use aluminum foil to take the slop out. I use beer can shims when it takes more than one layer of aluminum foil.

markm
04-26-13, 08:40
I just left it. As long as it stays somewhere, I'm good.

I could do what the precision nuts do and BED it! :p

T2C
04-26-13, 08:41
I just left it. As long as it stays somewhere, I'm good.

I could do what the precision nuts do and BED it! :p

I think draining a beer can is a whole lot faster and more enjoyable.

MistWolf
04-26-13, 14:21

Maybe I got it backwards. Did you try pressing it aft?

markm
04-26-13, 14:26
Maybe I got it backwards. Did you try pressing it aft?

No. You have it right. I push all my railed items forward. My point was that I have a weirdo that wants to be different on one gun. :p

MistWolf
04-26-13, 14:52
No. You have it right. I push all my railed items forward. My point was that I have a weirdo that wants to be different on one gun. :p

Why am I not surprised? :D

markm
04-26-13, 14:58
Takes all kinds... ;)

Iraqgunz
04-26-13, 18:07
That makes sense since the BCG impacts the barrel extension when it locks into battery (steel on steel) and the BCG and spring isn't impacting nearly as hard in it's rearward movement.