PDA

View Full Version : Which School of Thought Are You From?

Unkle Kurt
04-25-13, 21:15
Some folks have no need for a full sized gun as their CCW needs can be met with a midsized or subcompact gun (think Hickok45). Other folks seem to be of the opinion that only a full size or compact is acceptable and carrying a subcompact as a primary is subpar due to recoil management, limited magazine capacity, sight radius, etc. I also realize that certain situations can dictate differences, but in general where do you stand?

I ask this because I’m a crossroads myself. I have carried a G27 for 4 years now. However with large hands I find myself carrying with either a Pearce grip extension or a G23 mag so I can get a better grip on the gun when drawing. I have a G22 that I hardly ever carry because it seems to print considerably more than the G27, even with the G23 mag.

Here’s my question; if I’m already at the point of carrying a gun with the height of a G23/19, should I sell my G27 and get a larger gun, specifically the G19? I have no problems carrying my G27 with a G23 mag concealed, so the extra .5” in barrel/slide length shouldn’t really be an issue, right? And I want to transition to 9mm for all calibers.

So M4C members, what do you recommend?

A) Keep both and just get conversion barrels
B) Sell both and get a G26/G19 combo
C) Sell both and get a G26/G17 combo
D) Sell both and get a G19/G17 combo

T2C
04-25-13, 21:18
Buy a Glock 19.

gun71530
04-25-13, 21:20
Glock 19

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

NeoNeanderthal
04-25-13, 21:20
I carry a glock 17 with the grip cut down to 19 size. I find the extra slide length actually HELPS me conceal it. It helps push the grip deeper into my body if that makes any sense.

The grip size and overall thickness is what makes guns easy or difficult to conceal for me. Good on you for going to 9mm. I can conceal my g19 sized grip gun in just a t-shirt. i cant think of any situations where id need the 26, unless i was carrying in an ankle holster or something weird like that.

Arik
04-25-13, 21:22
I carry a G19. Generally thats as small as i go. I never found the sub compact glocks comfortable. They never fit into my hand and the M&Pc are too thin.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Unkle Kurt
04-25-13, 21:32
So sell both and replace with a G19 and G17?

Maybe a G19 and Shield?

T2C
04-25-13, 21:34
Buy a Glock 19 and as much ammunition as you can afford with the rest of the money you set aside for another pistol. A Glock 19 is all you will ever need.

Nater
04-25-13, 22:06
For myself, I owned a full-size handgun before I turned 21 and obtained my concealed pistol license. When I got my CPL, I tried out a few different compact and sub-compact handguns, some of which were Glocks, as well as a S&W 340PD. I could not shoot them as quickly and as accurately as I could shoot my 1911. My 1911 was and is reliable; I had already proven that to myself, and I trusted it to function in a time of life situation. As far as capacity goes, it did not bother me to have only 8-9 rounds in the gun. I simply was not ready to sell my proven and trusted handgun for a hi-capacity 9mm; back then, defense ammo for the 9mm did not commonly provide ballistic performance that I was comfortable with. I couldn't afford another handgun at that time.

Fast-forward a few years. I recently picked up a Glock 17. If I get comfortable and confident with the Glock platform, I may end up carrying it or getting a Glock 19 to carry. As much as I have shot Glocks in the past, I have not been able to shoot them as well as my 1911, but with training and practice I may get to that point.

All this is to preface my advice: There is a balance between conceal-ability and proficiency. My advice is to carry the handgun which you can shoot the most efficiently, yet still conceal and carry comfortably. If you find yourself hesitant to carry because of the size, the handgun is too big (dimension-wise). If you struggle to put accurate and fast rounds into a threat, you need to practice more or find a more controllable handgun. The fist shot is easy, but multiple rounds on target is what it takes to save your own life and the lives of loved ones. This is why I stay away from sub-compacts and the .40cal. It is a personal preference, and your proficiency is your limitation. I am a thin guy, but I choose to dress myself in a manner that lends itself well to concealing my 1911. You may not have that option. Holsters, belts, and body type will also have a huge impact on how well you can conceal a handgun of a particular size. Ultimately, you will have to find your own balance between conceal-ability and proficiency. A Glock 19 would probably be a good place to start.

currahee
04-25-13, 22:31
Buy a Glock 19 and as much ammunition as you can afford with the rest of the money you set aside for another pistol. A Glock 19 is all you will ever need.

Well, I have a pare Glock 19

But yeah- Glock 19 is the way to go

Scrubber3
04-25-13, 22:33
19 and 26. The great thing about a Glock is their ability to swap parts and mags. The 19 is just about the best all-around pistol ever designed IMHO. I have 2.

Get the 26 because summer is just around the corner. A lil easier to conceal.

SilverTongueDevil
04-25-13, 23:18
G19 is my primary carry.
I can shoot it almost as well as the glock34 it can be concealed in a pair of sport shorts. Shorts do have to be tied up though and the teeshirt on the long side.
If I was limited to just one gun it would be damn hard for me not to pick the G19.

warpedcamshaft
04-25-13, 23:31
It depends on your build, equipment selection, climate, clothing selection, and the consequences of a gun "printing."

The Glock 26 starts giving up some shooting performance in my hands compared to the Glock 19... However, given my body type, climate variables, clothing, and the consequences for me having my firearm spotted if it is printing... Sometimes, I carry the 26.

If I could carry the 17 in all situations, I would... If I could carry the 19 in all situations, I would... but for me there has to be a balance of convenience, comfort, etc... and the 26 comes in handy...

That makes me a pussy in some people's minds, but I had to find a balance.

If the difference between the 2 gets me killed... So be it... It's my ass horizontal 6 feet under.

But both weapons have a place for my purposes.

HighDesert
04-25-13, 23:51
Why would you not buy a G23 since you are obviously used to .40 from your 27?

Keep your 27 and add a 23.

With that said, who the **** cares if you print a little, if course depending on the laws of your state. I'm 5'8 and 200 and make my 17 work... Sure you can spot it if you're looking, but 99% of people are oblivious. The full grip really is nice and 18 rounds of 124 gr +p just gets me hot and bothered. Since you're used to 40,try a 22...

one
04-26-13, 00:36
I carried 1911's and High powers growing up. Then P226's were it for a while. For the longest time I carried a Glock 26. Still have it, love it. But the simple fact is manipulations and handling. Even drawing is so much easier and more fluid with a G19 size weapon that I have found myself carrying the 19 the last year as the main gun.

I kind of developed the mindset of if I'm in a gunfight I want as much of a gun as I can reasonably carry, conceal, and manipulate in a fight.

SpeedRacer
04-26-13, 00:56
Glock 19. It fills every role. At one point I had a dozen handguns of different makes and sizes. Over the years I evolved into only owning a Glock "collection" of several different models. Eventually that was narrowed down to even more as I sell off guns to fund ammo and training. Currently I only own 3 handguns...two Glock 19s and a Glock 26 for those times I need to just grab something quick and toss in a Vandguard. If a time comes where I decide to buy another handgun, it will inevitably be another 19.

Javelin
04-26-13, 01:12
Rule #1 of a gun fight is bring a gun.

Rule #2 of a gun fight (see Rule #1).

:)

okie john
04-26-13, 01:30
I carry a glock 17 with the grip cut down to 19 size. I find the extra slide length actually HELPS me conceal it. It helps push the grip deeper into my body if that makes any sense.

The grip size and overall thickness is what makes guns easy or difficult to conceal for me. Good on you for going to 9mm. I can conceal my g19 sized grip gun in just a t-shirt. i cant think of any situations where id need the 26, unless i was carrying in an ankle holster or something weird like that.

This, for all the reasons stated.

Or just get a G19.

Okie John

philpac33
04-26-13, 03:03
Although I've done it a few times in the past, I really try to NOT sell guns to buy guns. Unless you're absolutely sure you no longer have a need/want for a particular gun, hang onto it. I sold a sub-compact Taurus 9mm that hadn't seen the light of day in years since I had 9mms in Glock and S&W M&P flavors- haven't missed it a bit. I also once sold an early 70s Colt's Combat Commander that was my fathers(not the only gun he gave me, thank God) to help fund an AR build and I've considered offering 150% to get it back someday. I sold it to a friend so I know where it is and have dibs if he ever decides to get rid of it. As long as you don't sell your guns, you will have a difficult time regretting it.

As far as the G19 is concerned, what more can I say that's not been said over and over on virtually every firearm forum in existence? The only thing better than a G19 is 2 G19s and a third would make me a happy man. I find the G19 to be the ideal combination of caliber, size, weight, magazine capacity, reliability, price, and ability to find replacement parts, aftermarket accessories, and holsters that fit(with and without lights).

Needless to say, I choose a G19 as my EDC 99% of the time. My advice is to carry a handgun you can get multiple fast and accurate hits with every time it clears leather(or kydex) and is reasonably concealable. Large guns and certain body types can be challenging to keeping your sidearm completely concealed but can be overcome with proper holster and clothing choices. Don't skimp on a holster!!

I tried carrying a full size G17 for a brief time but the G19 conceals so much better while only giving up 2 rounds in the magazine and the inch of barrel. In testing as far from scientific as possible, my times in drills and accuracy in slow fire were almost identical. If I can get the same performance out of the two, isn't the obvious choice the one I can keep comfortably concealed? The important thing is not what you carry but rather that YOU DO carry. The choice is yours, be wise.

Magic_Salad0892
04-26-13, 03:52
G19, Apex Extractor, Gen4, Better sights, Vickers Controls, Glockmeister Grip Plug, Grip Force Adapter.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-26-13, 06:44
D) Sell both and get a G19/G17 combo

This would be my choice. For me, there is no situation that I've encountered in the last 12 years where I could have concealed a G26 but not a G19.

Psalms144.1
04-26-13, 06:59
For me, the "baby" Glocks don't offer enough concealment advantage to give up the magazine capacity and barrel/sight radius they lose compared to the mid-size Glocks.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ditch both the G22 and G27, get a G19, as many magazines as you can find, and spend the remainder on training and ammunition.

Of course, there are lots of folks whose opinion I value highly who are very enamored of the G17 with a grip cut-down to G19, but I've never tried that set up myself...

Regards,

Kevin

04-26-13, 08:28
I carry the pistol I shoot best, the one I have confidence that I will hit what I intend to hit. My competence with my carry is more important than size to me. However, I am looking at a compact version of the full size pistol I now carry. If I have the same confidence I will carry it.

TheJRK
04-26-13, 09:56
Whatever pistol you can comfortably carry all day is the one you should go with. Whether or not it prints is secondary as most have pointed out that the majority of people won't even notice.

Alpha Sierra
04-26-13, 10:12
With the right holsters it is just as easy to conceal a G17 as it is a 19. Which is what I do.

Spurholder
04-26-13, 10:16
Another vote for the G17/G19 combo here. For the reasons that everyone else stated.

Blayglock
04-26-13, 12:44
Glock 19

brickboy240
04-26-13, 15:12
Glock 19 3rd gen.

Vickers mag release and slide stop

DeFoor Ameriglo sights

Apex extractor

grip plug

That is about it. I have toyed with getting a G26 or other small 9mm but I rarely shoot those guns well so I'd rather dress ot work around the larger G19 because I can hit well with it.

So yeah...I am in the mid-sized carry gun group. Full size guns of mine are for range or open carry on the ranch and I own no small pistols at all.

-brickboy240

Don Robison
04-26-13, 16:09
This would be my choice. For me, there is no situation that I've encountered in the last 12 years where I could have concealed a G26 but not a G19.

Same here, my daily carry gun is an RMR G17 and if I want something smaller I switch to a G19 and if I need smaller than that I use a Rohrbaugh R9 in the pocket.

ST911
04-26-13, 16:48
I carried a G23/G27 combo for many years, and switched to a G19/G26 combo last year.

The compact is a highly effective compromise solution between the standards and subcompacts. Little is lost with them, and the gains over the subcompact can be significant.

The increased concealability of the subcompacts isn't of much benefit OWB. With IWB, the short slides are sometimes less stable than compacts and standards. The subcompacts shine as pocket and ankle guns.

The transition from 40 to 9mm is smart.

Salamander
04-26-13, 17:04
I'm currently at both extremes. Most days (in town and in the office) I carry a HK P2000sk in 9mm, but my woods gun is a full size M&P 45. Different situations, different guns.

I have tried to carry a full size gun more often but it simply isn't practical in my situation. I see the same people every weekday, I'm in meetings a lot, and I don't have time to worry about whether the gun is printing. Also a full size gun is much less comfortable for me to carry all day long, while the smaller gun is barely there.

One important distinction: I carried a Glock 26 for a while and sold it for several reasons, one of them being that the grip was just a little too small for my hands. The P2000sk is only very slightly bigger but it lets me get all of my fingers on the grip (just barely) and I also find it to be a little easier to conceal because of the less blocky shape. I can also shoot it accurately at longer distances than I ever could with the G26.

I recently picked up a P2000 and am trying it out and liking it so far. It's about G19 size, and I may very possibly shift to carrying it on all but the very warmest, hardest to conceal days.

If I ever did go back to Glock (unlikely, I'm just too happy with my HKs), it would be a G19 and not a G26.

Chuc
04-26-13, 19:06
Glock 19. It is compact enough for concealment but large enough to handle easily. I recently went back to this weapon after playing around with 1911's again. It was the obvious choice as it is the most practical and tactically sound weapon for daily carry IMHO. I carried 1911 on and off for the past 24 years only to always gravitate back to Glock 19 and 9mm.

thebarracuda
04-26-13, 19:38
[QUOTE=NeoNeanderthal;1624409]I carry a glock 17 with the grip cut down to 19 size. I find the extra slide length actually HELPS me conceal it. It helps push the grip deeper into my body if that makes any sense.

This! I have glock 19 and really like it, but I shoot so much better with a longer barrel. Now I'm on the hunt for a glock 17 I can cut down to a 19 sized grip. Is it necessary? Probably not. But it gives me something to do. If you're not into chopping a perfectly good gun, buy the 19. I never liked the feel of the subs and hated the short sight radius.

Lost River
04-26-13, 19:48
The Glock 19 has become the Gold Standard. There is good reason for it.

Many 1911 shooters (such as myself) made the switch years ago for purely practical reasons.

Given your (OP) situation, I would go with a G19 and a G26 or G19 and a G17, the second choice is really a situationally dependent one that only you can answer. Whatever you would envision using most, the G17 or G26. Rolling with two G19s is not a bad option either.

Bottom line, roll with the G19, the second gun is icing on the cake.

brushy bill
04-26-13, 20:33
Glock 19 3rd gen.

Vickers mag release and slide stop

DeFoor Ameriglo sights

Apex extractor

grip plug

That is about it. I have toyed with getting a G26 or other small 9mm but I rarely shoot those guns well so I'd rather dress ot work around the larger G19 because I can hit well with it.

So yeah...I am in the mid-sized carry gun group. Full size guns of mine are for range or open carry on the ranch and I own no small pistols at all.

-brickboy240

Add the following and you have it just right: 30274 ejector; maritime spring cups (if operating around water); - connector; smooth trigger; vickers mag plates. I'm equally happy with defoor sights or 10-8 with brass bead front.

Voodoo_Man
04-26-13, 20:38
I do not modify any gun, externally (other than sights), no real need in my opinion.

If your hand is too big for a g26 or g19 get a g17.

If you want the slide length of a g17, but the grip of a g19, get a g17 and cut the grip.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-26-13, 23:07
I do not modify any gun, externally (other than sights), no real need in my opinion.

Well that settles it then.

K_K
04-27-13, 00:35
I recently recieved my carry license. I live in oklahoma and recently passed the open carry law so i can open or conceal if i want. When the legislature wrote the law they did not quite have the open carry laws in mind. There are no laws that stipulate what action you can take if someone is taking your gun from you and no increase in required training such as preventive tactics to counter disarmament. When in my little bubble of 1 sq mile of work/walmart/quik trip/home, I am comfortable enough to open carry. I carry a glock 17 in the cross draw apendix position. i believe this position would best thwart theives when open carrying. I also have a bersa 380 I conceal but dont wear it too much. The G17 is difficult to conceal in some clothes, if you are bent on concealing and just got to have a glock, go with a 19.

Rockhopper
04-27-13, 01:34
19/26 combo here. Revolving duty depending on weather and attire.

I find myself longing for a pm9 for those times I really need deep concealment.

Keep the 27 and buy a 9mm barrel and also a Glock 19 :cool:

Voodoo_Man
04-27-13, 03:52
Well that settles it then.

It does.

Unless there is something severely lacking from the oem design options there is no need for modification.

Personal handicap does not count, btw.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-27-13, 07:53
E

Unless you absolutely have a job/life where you can carry a full-size gun around then get the smallest, lightest gun you can that shoots a real bullet.

It is my belief and has been my observation that most folks buy a Glock 19 or other midsize gun and say that they are going to carry it with an untucked shirt, etc. In reality, they carry that way to the gas station or on other occasions but over time find more and more reasons to not carry. Frankly, if you are going carry a G19 then you might as well carry a G17 or other full sized gun. But really, most folks won't carry either in the end. The gun will sit in the car or at the house with increasing frequency.

People poo-poo this, especially single guys and firearms trainers who have the kind of job where they can carry all the time anyway, but you really need some sort of pocket pistol. Yes, it is a sub-par way to carry a sub-par gun. But what you need is an actual gun, not the perfect gun to sit at the house because your girlfriend/boss/in-laws/employer/etc isn't comfortable with it, or you aren't comfortable carrying it, etc.

Kahr PM9/J-frame/etc and lots of practice.

Gutshot John
04-27-13, 08:04
nevermind

Dan Goodwin
04-27-13, 09:07
G19, Apex Extractor, Gen4, Better sights, Vickers Controls, Glockmeister Grip Plug, Grip Force Adapter.
The above, except x2: one to train with and one for carry.

And a 26 for backup.

Were I starting out today, that is what I'd do. And I may winnow the defense handgun battery to just that when I retire.

The_War_Wagon
04-27-13, 09:10

Because I can carry it concealed and comfortably.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-27-13, 09:37
Unless there is something severely lacking from the oem design options there is no need for modification.

Umm, yeah, that's usually what causes a person to modify a gun to suit their needs.

Voodoo_Man
04-27-13, 21:48
Umm, yeah, that's usually what causes a person to modify a gun to suit their needs.

Thats fine, for that person, others can run an oem gun without modification. I would highly suggest running a pistol in oem format before modification.

RBid
04-28-13, 00:21
My rule is:

Carry the most capable firearm that you can commit to carrying.

My choice is a Glock 19.

Magic_Salad0892
04-28-13, 04:11
The above, except x2: one to train with and one for carry.

Agreed.

jesuvuah
04-28-13, 06:21
I own a g17, 19L, and a 26. The 19L (17 cut down to 19) is now becomeing my most carried. It conceals just as well as my 26. I porbably only own one or two pairs of shirts were I would choose the 26 over the 19L. Yet the 19L does seem at any real dissadvantage over the 17. I can live witht he 2 less rounds. I like having the full length slide and I actually like the feel of the 17 grip cut down over the feel of a 19 grip because the "hump" is in a better spot for me.

TElmer2
04-29-13, 08:55
I have always carried a full size handgun. In this case being a HK P30. I have made necessary adjustments to my wardrobe and haven't had an issue. I have also carried a Glock 17 without issue.

To each his own I guess...I have always preferred a fullsize, never noticed THAT much difference between the grip and barrel length between most compacts and fullsizes, and also prefer just the little bit of higher capacity.

CobraBG
04-29-13, 09:41
To the OP, I vote option (C) get a G26/G17 combo. Although I prefer the G30SF/G21SF combo which I have.

I have medium hands and find that I can shoot the compact Glock (G30SF) as well as the full sized (G21SF). Depending on my attire the 30 is easier to conceal than the 21 due to the grip size. I find that I carry the 30 more than the 21.

It is important to carry when you want to (always) and not just when it is convenient. In a pinch I will resort to my J frame 340 .357 in a pocket holster.

skydivr
04-29-13, 10:13
I have a really hard time with IWB. If I buy pants with enough additional waistband, then they are too big in the ass. Otherwise really tight and uncomfortable. About all I can carry daily (the best gun to carry is the one you have ON you) is a pocket pistol. However, If I had my choice, it would undoubtedly be the G19..

TMS951
04-29-13, 11:01
I have a glock 19, when I need to carry something smaller I carry a Kahr PM9.

My friend has a 26, I have no interest in it as its size is not that much more carriable than the 19. But the 26/19 are significantly bigger than the PM9. The 19 also shoots much better than the 26 because of the grip length. I can not get more fingers on the much larger 26 than the PM9.

Ron3
04-29-13, 11:36
I think you should get a G19.

But if you must sell one of your other Glocks sell the G26. Then if you want to sell the G22 buy a G17.

Like most of the others here I've found the G19 to be the most versatile size for CC. I usually carry it with Glock +2 mag extensions (these mags also have G17 springs in them).

I'm sure I could carry a G17 just fine. I tried a G35 but the barrel was too long for sitting comfortably.

I got a G20 SF for woods carry and found I could carry that concealed just fine, but it does print a little more and is 25-30% heavier. But I love the SF grip. It just feels better and more hand filling than the G19. The G17 also feels better in my hand than the G19.

Full size grips give me the most control. The G19 I normally carry handles fine but is a compromise. I can't stand the sub-compact G26 size frames. A Pierce mag extension makes them tolerable enough for service though.

Anyway, I say you get a G19, sell the G26 and if you must sell the G22 and get a G17.

a1fabweld
04-29-13, 12:32
I CCW an HK P2000 fullsize 9mm, Springfield XDs (single stack 45), & a Ruger LCP. Which one I carry depends on what I'm wearing & where I'm going.

yellowfin
04-29-13, 12:51
Keep both and get conversion barrels, that way you can use both ammo calibers based on availability. I currently run M&P's in 40 and 9 for the same reason--this shortage has taught me to be bilingual with ammo and reload as much as possible.

duece71
04-29-13, 13:14
G17/G19 combo is what I have. I found the G26 too small for my hands. I can use the 17 mags in the G19 if need be. Talk about bad timing for a caliber switch. If you can find Glock 9mm hi cap mags, prices probably won't be $20 a pop which is what I paid. Good luck.

Fordtough25
04-30-13, 07:08

I agree with this! My Glock 19 will do anything I need it to do, CC, range fun, home defense, glove box duty. I would get a G19 and as many mags and ammo you can grab up. Then shoot it as much as possible and get comfortable with it. I believe the Glock 19 is the perfect all purpose handgun.