PDA

View Full Version : Aero C.O.P. VS Vltor CASV

dentron
04-26-13, 11:21
Wanting a monolithic upper rail and am wondering about the pros and cons of these two systems. Any input would be great, thanks.

Kyohte
04-26-13, 11:27
Not sure about the Aero, but I think the VLTOR is overweight (though it is still great functionally). If you're looking for something free floating and requires little to no "permanent" modification of the gun, check out the Daniel Defense Omega, Centurion, or Troy Alpha/Charlie/Delta, lines.

JoshNC
04-26-13, 11:27
Vltor without question. The Aero COP looks to be the same as the mono put out by Armalite.

dentron
04-26-13, 11:28
Not sure about the Aero, but I think the VLTOR is overweight (though it is still great functionally). If you're looking for something free floating and requires little to no "permanent" modification of the gun, check out the Daniel Defense Omega, Centurion, or Troy Alpha/Charlie/Delta, lines.

I am looking for a solid upper rail. And I dont mind modifications as I am starting from scratch on a new upper.

dentron
04-26-13, 11:29
Vltor without question. The Aero COP looks to be the same as the mono put out by Armalite.

Why do you recomend the vltor? Is there a problem with the armalite?

dentron
04-26-13, 11:30
And I do need it to be free floating

Kyohte
04-26-13, 11:41
If you're staring from scratch, there are many good choices out there. Centurion and Daniel Defense (though other options than the Omega would be viable) are still among the top choices, and many like the Noveske NSR but I haven't seen one in person. A search for free floating rails on this sight will give tons of information.

dentron
04-26-13, 11:44
If you're staring from scratch, there are many good choices out there. Centurion and Daniel Defense (though other options than the Omega would be viable) are still among the top choices, and many like the Noveske NSR but I haven't seen one in person. A search for free floating rails on this sight will give tons of information.

I am only looking at monolithic one solid piece upper rail designs. Not interestedin a separate handguard, thanks though.

Kyohte
04-26-13, 12:08
Out of curiosity, can I ask why? Aside from a true monolithic upper, I can think of no benefit that this would provide, though I know far from everything.

I thought the main purpose of the CASV system was just to mount to a weapon with no modification.

tom frost
04-26-13, 12:12
I am only looking at monolithic one solid piece upper rail designs. Not interestedin a separate handguard, thanks though.

Isn't the VLTOR a two piece system? When you say monolithic, you just mean continuous upper rail, not necessarily monolithic construction of the entire unit, is this correct?

JoshNC
04-26-13, 12:13
Why do you recomend the vltor? Is there a problem with the armalite?

Heavy and there are better options for monolithic, ie Vltor (really bi-lithic), Colt, and LMT. Are you looking at the CAS-V or the VIS? The VIS is their mono- type upper.

If you are truly looking at the CAS-V, why not consider DD and Centurion rails? They are free floating and give you an uninterrupted continuous top rail. I would choose a DD or Centurion rail long before I ever considered the Aero COP.

If I had to have a mono upper I would just buy a factory complete LMT MRP or Colt 6940 and be done.

dentron
04-26-13, 12:20
Isn't the VLTOR a two piece system? When you say monolithic, you just mean continuous upper rail, not necessarily monolithic construction of the entire unit, is this correct?

Yes.I guess I could have stated that better thank you

vandal5
04-26-13, 12:32
Wanting a monolithic upper rail and am wondering about the pros and cons of these two systems. Any input would be great, thanks.

Are you referring to Vltor VIS? I believe the VIS is the solid one piece (detachable under handguard)upper & hand guard where as the CASV mounts onto an upper.

Other options would be the mono from Mega or MRP from LMT.

Hope that helps.

tom frost
04-26-13, 12:35
Yes.I guess I could have stated that better thank you

No prob, just wanted to make sure I understood. I am actually looking at similar options myself, however with less flexibility as my choice would preferably be a drop-in unit that extends beyond my fsb. I thought the VLTOR CASV-EL and the Troy Delta and Charlie options looked pretty good to me. The elevated rail profile of the VLTOR was my only concern.

dentron
04-26-13, 12:43
Heavy and there are better options for monolithic, ie Vltor (really bi-lithic), Colt, and LMT. Are you looking at the CAS-V or the VIS? The VIS is their mono- type upper.

If you are truly looking at the CAS-V, why not consider DD and Centurion rails? They are free floating and give you an uninterrupted continuous top rail. I would choose a DD or Centurion rail long before I ever considered the Aero COP.

If I had to have a mono upper I would just buy a factory complete LMT MRP or Colt 6940 and be done.

Colts rail is too short. I am looking at the mid length version of these products. Also only comes as a complete upper. I am going to put this together with a stainless barrel.
Lmt if im not mistaken only comes as a complete upper.
VIS didnt vltor stop making this and go with the NSR version?
And yes I am looking at the CASV. And while it is technically a handguard it does have a solid upper rail. The reason I am wanting that design is for optic mounting flexibility.
Thank you for your input.

dentron
04-26-13, 12:49
No prob, just wanted to make sure I understood. I am actually looking at similar options myself, however with less flexibility as my choice would preferably be a drop-in unit that extends beyond my fsb. I thought the VLTOR CASV-EL and the Troy Delta and Charlie options looked pretty good to me. The elevated rail profile of the VLTOR was my only concern.

Yeah I looked at the troys too but I really prefer a one piece upper rail for its advantages. Also i decided on a mid length barrel with a low pro gas block so it wouldnt really work with that.

SWThomas
04-26-13, 13:09
The only thing I don't like about the Aero is even the mid-length COP is still pretty short.

tom frost
04-26-13, 13:13
Yeah I looked at the troys too but I really prefer a one piece upper rail for its advantages. Also i decided on a mid length barrel with a low pro gas block so it wouldnt really work with that.

True enough. :)

jaxman7
04-26-13, 13:22
Colts rail is too short. I am looking at the mid length version of these products. Also only comes as a complete upper. I am going to put this together with a stainless barrel.
Lmt if im not mistaken only comes as a complete upper.
VIS didnt vltor stop making this and go with the NSR version?
And yes I am looking at the CASV. And while it is technically a handguard it does have a solid upper rail. The reason I am wanting that design is for optic mounting flexibility.
Thank you for your input.

The CAS-V limits your optic mounting solutions b/c of the increased height of the upper receiver rail.

-Jax

dentron
04-26-13, 13:22
The CAS-V limits your optic mounting flexibility b/c of the increased height of the upper receiver rail.

How so?

Kyohte
04-26-13, 13:25
The CASV mounts on top of the existing rail. This increased the height over bore, which messes with some optics. There is no real advantage of a CASV over something like a Daniel Defense RIS II. They both will provide a stable platform for mounting whatever you want to them.

Edit: Also, if you're going for precision with a magnified optic, your scope will be mounted for the proper eye relief, which will more than likely be mounted on the receiver, not the rail. Mounting an Aimpoint or Eotech far out on a rail is possible, but adds too much weight to the front for most people to like it. This is why even with a true monolithic, like a 6940, you still see most shooters using the optic on the receiver and not the rail.

kmrtnsn
04-26-13, 21:45
The CAS-V limits your optic mounting solutions b/c of the increased height of the upper receiver rail.

-Jax

Not so much. LaRue makes CASV height mounts, as does American Defense.

ColtSeavers
04-26-13, 22:41
I have and use the CASV-S. I am very pleased with it but must admit the added weight is noticeable, yet not prohibitive (for me at least).

The CASV-S (and the other stepped CASV's) solves the problem of iron sights not being on the same plane. When using optics, A2 fsb's (for example) will still need to be bottom 1/3 cowitness at best or ignored barring some compatible options when mounting on the raised rail section.

The complete lack of any modification to your rifle is a bonus that should not be overlooked. Don't like it or want it on anymore for any reason? Pop it off, pop in the old handguards or whatever and be on your way. No bubba dremeling or trip to pay someone else to dremel your weapon. No unpinning your perfectly good and secure a2 fsb to get everything else of behind it to mount another rail system or paying someone else to do it.

BigDog
04-27-13, 06:03
Not so much. LaRue makes CASV height mounts, as does American Defense.

Yep, I run a low Larue mount on the Aimpoint on my CASV; gives me a good lower 3rd co-witness with the irons.

scooter22
04-27-13, 06:21
The VLTOR CASV is not monolithic. However, the VLTOR VIS is.

I think the Mega monolithic uppers might be lighter?

If I had to get a monolithic upper I would go with an LMT.