PDA

View Full Version : Moved gunsafe

Nathan_Bell
07-05-06, 20:46
Re-arranging gun room, so attacked the biggest problem first. Moving the 1800# plus gunsafe. Cleaned out everthing stored in it, found two pistols I thought I had sold. Kind of a bonus.

Went to move the beast used cardboard sheet as slider, with a difference. I had applied insulator wax to both sides yesterday. Made sliding much easier than last safe I had moved.

The end of my tale is that the gun safe is now rotated 90 degrees and 5 feet further along the wall.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/DCP_0183.jpg

All with out serious injury or damage to walls, safe, or carpet.

EditTed fur spelin

M4arc
07-05-06, 21:06
All with out serious injury or damage to walls, safe, or carpet.

That's the most important thing right there!

mark5pt56
07-05-06, 21:19
For anyone who ever has to move one over tile or linoeum-pad it well!

Chris Poston
07-06-06, 07:53
Having had to move my safe from one end of the house to the other a few times over the years I have a tip one may try. I use golf balls. Get one 3/4 inch dowel about a foot long and about six golf balls. Have a friend help you tip the safe and another feed a couple of golf balls under the edge. You can then push the safe up on the balls and just keep feeding the balls as to push it along. The balls wont compress flat and I have had my LARGE liberty safe rolling along with just me pushing it through the house. Once you get close to the resting point for the safe just let it slowly run off the balls and the tip it slightly and use the dowel to retrive the few balls still near the edge. I have found that two guys can wiggle a safe into a corner pretty well if its on carpet. When going across hard woods or linoeum use carpet scraps or buy a cheap pack of DIY kitchen tile linoeum (1'x1') to use as a pathway.

Rmplstlskn
07-07-06, 21:17
Having had to move my safe from one end of the house to the other a few times over the years I have a tip one may try. I use golf balls.

Great tip! Thanks...

Rmpl

Kisara
07-07-06, 21:36
found two pistols I thought I had sold. Kind of a bonus.
Hooray on that! I always find things I forgot about. I think spring cleaning of safes should be mandatory.

Fireman223
07-09-06, 22:14
Having had to move my safe from one end of the house to the other a few times over the years I have a tip one may try. I use golf balls. Get one 3/4 inch dowel about a foot long and about six golf balls. Have a friend help you tip the safe and another feed a couple of golf balls under the edge. You can then push the safe up on the balls and just keep feeding the balls as to push it along. The balls wont compress flat and I have had my LARGE liberty safe rolling along with just me pushing it through the house. Once you get close to the resting point for the safe just let it slowly run off the balls and the tip it slightly and use the dowel to retrive the few balls still near the edge. I have found that two guys can wiggle a safe into a corner pretty well if its on carpet. When going across hard woods or linoeum use carpet scraps or buy a cheap pack of DIY kitchen tile linoeum (1'x1') to use as a pathway.

Chris, thanks for the tip. How many balls were under the safe at any one time? All six? Four?--and adding other two as rear ones rolled out? Did the safe ever want to lean over/ drop a corner due to the balls rotating off center?

Nathan_Bell
07-12-06, 16:01
Wish I had known about the golf ball trick when I moved into this place.

Side comment, decided I am going to reorganize the gun/computer room at least once a year. Otherwise you get so much junk that it takes days to completely reorganize.

Chris Poston
07-13-06, 20:11
I guess there is three or four golf balls under the safe at any one time. We try to feed them under near the sides and never had much trouble. Just DONT get in a hurry and let the safe dig one corner into the good hard wood floors :o