PDA

View Full Version : s&w m&p 15t

wolfrat1
03-26-08, 20:46
good evening. i'm new to the forum. this was probably discussed to death before i joined. does anyone own or fired the smith ar rifles? i'm thinking of purchasing the tactical version. just wanting to get some opinions of what other shooters think.

thanks...

Safetyhit
03-26-08, 21:05
Welcome aboard. :)

Yes, the S&W has been discussed quite a bit here recently. Try using the search feature and you should see plenty of newer threads. I don't own one, so I can't be of much more help.

TBomb
03-27-08, 00:28
Hey there!

Yes, there have been other posts about the 15T, but since I own one and love it I'll go ahead and talk about it a little bit ;).

If you haven't already, I'm sure you will soon be exposed to the chart comparing the different AR manufacturers and the critical items that are required for having a dependable and reliable AR. While the chart is comparing a basic S&W M&P15, many of those items apply to the 15T while some are not applicable. The important thing is that the bolt and BCG are made by LMT and are therefore good to go. The bolt includes the black extractor spring insert and a Crane o-ring.

One drawback to the 15T is that the barrel is one place where S&W skimped a little as it is not Mil-Spec steel and is not MPI or HPT (as far as I know). It is also 1/9 twist as opposed to 1/7, but some people, myself included, are alright with that. If you plan on shooting 55-62 gr. rounds it will work well. If you want to shoot heavier bullets you would probably benefit from a 1/7 but you can get by with the 1/9. The barrel and chamber are both chrome lined, so that is definitely a good thing. I, and several others, have had no complaints about accuracy with the barrel (again, that I am aware of).

Earlier issues that people were experiencing with the 15T have been resolved. The magwell has been beveled on the newer models so you should have no issues with PMAGS dropping free. I have 5 of them (more coming) and they all function flawlessly in my 15T. The gas block is now pinned as well as set-screwed so you should not have to worry about it coming loose.

The rail and BUIS are made by Troy and are good quality. The rail is probably not on the same level as a LaRue or Daniel Defense, I have never used either so I can't say for sure, but I have read that the Troy is somewhat heavy. It is solid, looks good, and is well made so I have no complaints.

The only "functional" parts I have swapped out on my 15T are the buffer (replaced with an H2) and the buffer spring (replaced with a CS spring). I have also put on a VLTOR EMOD stock and a Magpul MIAD grip.

Anyway, I got a little long winded but I think I covered most of the important things to know about the 15T. If you haven't found a local dealer you want to purchase from you should check out Grant at G&R Tactical. He is a supporter of these forums, a frequent contributor, and a good guy. He also has some really good prices :). You should be able to get a 15T for around $1200, and if you get one soon you can get the $100 mail in rebate. For $1100, that is a nice little carbine that should serve you well. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

Robb Jensen
03-27-08, 04:50
The M&P15T is an impressive rifle and a good value. I've fire a handful of them.

However if you don't get one of the new ones with a steel pinned gas block then replace the factory aluminum gas block with a steel one (I recommend a LaRue or VLTOR gas block) and have it's set screws dimpled into the barrel or have it pinned.

Liquid Rhino
03-27-08, 09:36
First post? Welcome to the forums! The members here have lots of really useful info & real-world experience & I'm sure you'll find all the info you're looking for. :)

So you're looking for a M&P15T? No regrets here; It's been a solid rifle so far - no malfuntions or PMAG issues. Should you decide to purchase one, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

miamitj
03-27-08, 23:03
Mine ran like a champ and ate up anything I tossed at it. Mine was built when Stag was making them for SW ...

blackscot
03-28-08, 07:01
I am using the M&P15A (basic flattop version). See earlier post here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5084

It's from a year or so ago, and I think is at least partly Stag-built.

Had to get the BCG restaked right away, but since then it's been 100%.

Taking it to a 3-gun match tomorrow ! ! ! :cool:

Slinger
03-28-08, 07:37
I've got the 15 OR (optic ready). Everything's been covered pretty well. My guns is a new model, 1-1/2 months old. No problems period! Mags. of different mfg. go in & out easily, shoots accurately, & goes off everytime I pull the trigger.

Shihan
03-28-08, 16:09
Mine was a major POS. It was a older model made by Stag. The new ones are GTG just make sure of your ammo choices first.

Ridgerunner665
03-28-08, 17:40
just make sure of your ammo choices first.

What do you mean by that???:confused:

TBomb
03-28-08, 17:48

Not sure what he means. I've shot a few hundred rounds of Wolf through mine with no issues. I know, it's crappy ammo, but I am of the opinion that my carbine should be able to eat whatever I feed it and not complain.

variablebinary
03-28-08, 17:49

Perhaps 1/7 vs 1/9

Ridgerunner665
03-28-08, 17:55
That may be it....I have the standard model M&P 15...just a "plain Jane" gun... I mostly bought it for hunting...it shoots 70 grain ammo just fine, I tested it to 400 yards with no tumbling....just nice clean 22 caliber holes in the paper.

But the solid copper 70 grain Barnes TSX bullets didn't do so well past 225 yards or so (pretty long bullets)...I have a few boxes of Hornady 75 grain TAP 5.56x45 that I haven't tried yet. We shall see.

los
03-28-08, 21:14
My 15T is a an early built carbine (s/n ~ 08***).

It's been extremely reliable (no FTF/FTE issues) since it's acquisition in late 07 and shoots subMOA with Horny TAP 55gr ammo.

Only derogatory [subjective] comment is that the Smith factory trigger had way too much creep so I replaced it with a Timney 4# trigger. Also installed a 2nd Gen KNS pin kit. The Timney really helps [me] keep tight groupings.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/15TwithGripPod50.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/15TXX.jpg

czydj
03-28-08, 21:43
My 15T is a an early built carbine (s/n ~ 08***).

It's been extremely reliable (no FTF/FTE issues) since it's acquisition in late 07 and shoots subMOA with Horny TAP 55gr ammo.

Only derogatory [subjective] comment is that the Smith factory trigger had way too much creep so I replaced it with a Timney 4# trigger. Also installed a 2nd Gen KNS pin kit. The Timney really helps [me] keep tight groupings.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/15TwithGripPod50.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/15TXX.jpg

VERY nice case and layout!! Where didja get it? What model is that?

los
03-28-08, 21:49
VERY nice case and layout!! Where didja get it? What model is that?

Thanks c.

It's a Pelican 1700. Got it online, shipped for $164. Did the foam carving myself.

Shihan
03-29-08, 12:56

The M&P's come with a 1/9 barrel.

Ridgerunner665
03-29-08, 13:41
The M&P's come with a 1/9 barrel.

I knew that...but I didn't understand why he said that about ammo selection.

On another note (but similar topic)...I just noticed that my M&P does not have an m16 bolt carrier...if I used an m16 bolt carrier would it help reduce the primer flattening that I'm seeing with CCI primers...they are not flattened enough for me to really worry about it, but just enough to make me wonder... and I'm not overloading my rounds...I'm using Service Rifle reloading data...there is no case head expansion or shiny spots on the brass...just slightly flattened primers.

Shihan
03-29-08, 14:40
I knew that...but I didn't understand why he said that about ammo selection.

On another note (but similar topic)...I just noticed that my M&P does not have an m16 bolt carrier...if I used an m16 bolt carrier would it help reduce the primer flattening that I'm seeing with CCI primers...they are not flattened enough for me to really worry about it, but just enough to make me wonder... and I'm not overloading my rounds...I'm using Service Rifle reloading data...there is no case head expansion or shiny spots on the brass...just slightly flattened primers.

I made the comment on ammo selection do to the fact that 1/9's generally dont stabalize heavier rounds very well.

Blinking Dog
03-29-08, 14:47
Here's my recent post on my M&P set up:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12883 (http://https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12883)

No complaints. I'm very happy with mine.

Blinking Dog
03-29-08, 14:54
Thanks c.

It's a Pelican 1700. Got it online, shipped for $164. Did the foam carving myself.

I really like the Pelican case. I got their double rifle case many years ago and really liked the ability to custom cut the foam. I recently got a Pelican model 1720 from Cabelas, for about $160. Their last desert tan model had a couple of scratches on it so I talked them in to a 20% discount. Can't believe it worked!

The 1720 is big enough to hold my AR and some mags, plus my 1911 and some mags.

Highly recommend the Pelican cases.

blackscot
03-31-08, 07:44
......Highly recommend the Pelican cases.

I use them a lot at work for electronic equipment used outdoors. They are on the heavy side, but more rugged and weatherproof you will not find.

They also have a unique system with the interior foam that allows you to easily customize the cavities for whatever configuration you need.