PDA

View Full Version : Bullet resistant homes:

Grand58742
04-26-13, 17:58
Interesting stuff here:

http://kfor.com/2013/04/25/new-invention-to-protect-neighborhoods-save-lives/

Inside a north Las Vegas warehouse, the company is working on an innovative, new product designed to save lives. CEO Michael Johnson said, “If you can offer protection for people at home or school or anywhere there is violence, it’s a great thing.”

It’s called “Ballisticrete.”

It’s a thin, stucco-like product, mixed and applied like normal plaster.

Link to the website. Doesn't say how expensive the stuff is though. Figure it'll be a tad pricey.

http://gigacrete.com/ballisticrete/

Interesting enough stuff for non-shooting situations as well. Hurricane and tornado debris came immediately to mind. Maybe a smaller application for a safe room in a house or basement as well. And a whole lot easier to apply than trying to get a concrete wall laid and set.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-26-13, 19:54
Hell, I'll paint my car and a sweatshirt with that stuff!!

Sounds like a geopolymer of some sort, but all dry ingrediants are interesting.

SethB
04-27-13, 04:20
Look into ICF. You can get an 8" reinforced concrete wall with R45 insulation and almost no air exchange. That would be about 22" thick, overall.

Caduceus
05-11-13, 19:40
If it ever panned out, it would be nice to just do all walls of a house. Avoid the whole concern about over penetration and killing your kid or the neighbor's.

Well, aside from windows.

It would be interesting to see how this would work for structural codes; L.A. with their earthquakes is a fast 4-hour drive away.

Sentaruu
05-11-13, 21:27
what a cool concept.

ddnguyen9
05-11-13, 21:35
Link to the website. Doesn't say how expensive the stuff is though. Figure it'll be a tad pricey.

When you don't see a price... you know it's pricey.

RyanB
05-11-13, 22:04
I have a bulletproof house. Shot it with the AR once... Very minor dent. Lanen stone from Wisconsin, breaks at 37,000 psi--10% less than granite.

I have a lot of ideas for defensible homes but you're not going to get it without an architect. Things like internal bulkhead walls with secure doors to limit penetration to the public areas of the home and loopholes to shoot from into choke points.

Mac5.56
05-11-13, 22:30
I have a bulletproof house. Shot it with the AR once... Very minor dent. Lanen stone from Wisconsin, breaks at 37,000 psi--10% less than granite.

I have a lot of ideas for defensible homes but you're not going to get it without an architect. Things like internal bulkhead walls with secure doors to limit penetration to the public areas of the home and loopholes to shoot from into choke points.

So in so many words you're telling us you're rich... :)

flyfishnevada
05-11-13, 23:16

Or a caveman:p

I'm not sure why I'd want a bulletproof house, beyond the obvious. I don't live in Chicago or Israel. Seems a bit much but I suppose there are non residential uses.

Sentaruu
05-12-13, 08:08
its a good idea for a safe/panic room. im not sure i would want/need to do my entire house

rdbse
05-12-13, 10:09
Interesting products. This may appeal to those wanting to harden an existing structure. You will need adequate substrate (CMU, concrete fiber board, etc) in order to do so. Applying a heavy coating of material 10-lbs/ft on standard drywall is asking for trouble.

The ideal method is to build a new structure with the end results in mind. Using the right materials/design, you will save money and have better results.

docsherm
05-12-13, 10:47

I like your ideas....I have a lot of glass in my house and and upstairs basement.....what would you suggest?

PS- Spotted a sociopath :dirol:

RyanB
05-12-13, 17:30

My family is in the masonry business. That's all.

RyanB
05-12-13, 17:32
I like your ideas....I have a lot of glass in my house and and upstairs basement.....what would you suggest?

PS- Spotted a sociopath :dirol:

Your house... There's no hope! Lol.

Your wife wasn't clear as to which one of you sees the sociopath in the mirror! I'm rooting for both of you.

TacCommE21
05-13-13, 09:47
The ideal method is to build a new structure with the end results in mind. Using the right materials/design, you will save money and have better results.

Seems there would be ancillary benefits too. Better insulated against heat, cold, sound? I know windows are usually the culprit, but it would have to help. And structurally it would have to be more robust, no?

Warp
05-13-13, 19:45
Or a caveman:p

I'm not sure why I'd want a bulletproof house, beyond the obvious. I don't live in Chicago or Israel. Seems a bit much but I suppose there are non residential uses.

I'd love to have a bullet "proof" house. For the obvious, and for not worrying as much about what I load/use for home defense, and for storm damage...and because a lot of the things I can think of that would be bullet resistant would fare much better than regular stick construction in the face of a storm or fire as well.

PlatoCATM
05-13-13, 21:36
For what I'm sure would be a lot less expensive, you could build an earthship. People would just think you were a hippy.

Cool nonetheless.

wilhelm
06-11-13, 17:20
Look into ICF. You can get an 8" reinforced concrete wall with R45 insulation and almost no air exchange. That would be about 22" thick, overall.

My house is built out of ICF. I feel very secure at night.