PDA

View Full Version : not a 1911 but a colt

BigJoe
04-27-13, 12:03
just got given this by my grandfather, it was his mother's she bought when she was 19. its a 25 auto
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/hardcharger_photos/null_zps34fcdf04.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/hardcharger_photos/media/null_zps34fcdf04.jpg.html)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/hardcharger_photos/null_zpsace56c6e.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/hardcharger_photos/media/null_zpsace56c6e.jpg.html)

Redhat
04-27-13, 18:32
Nice! I always liked those pocket Colt's. Do you know what model it is?

BigJoe
04-27-13, 18:44
25 auto is all i really know

TriviaMonster
04-27-13, 18:50
Wow, and barely any writing on the side!

Only kidding, good score.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ThirdWatcher
04-27-13, 19:11
I like it.:)

brushy bill
04-27-13, 19:12
Looks like a 1908 "vest pocket" model.

http://www.coltautos.com/1908vpusn.htm

BigJoe
04-27-13, 20:09
such a cool little gun, it just doesn't have that "throw away gun" feel like other small 25's, etc. the slide to frame fit is really nice, small fluting on the barrel, feels accross the board well made. i'm sending it to be restored. very very cool piece.

SeriousStudent
04-28-13, 11:10
What a wonderful piece of history! The legacy guns from our relatives always make us wonder what stories they could tell, about the places they have been.

I have an old Savage .32 pocket pistol that belonged to my grandfather, and a top-break 32 S&W revolver that belonged to his father.

If you have the chance, please post some photos after the pistol comes back from the restorer, we would all love to see them.

Redstate
04-28-13, 11:13
Very nice. I have put some rounds through one and it was fun to shoot .

brushy bill
04-28-13, 11:33
i'm sending it to be restored.

Not to drift the thread, but I have two similar restoration projects involving older Remington long arms my grandfather left to me years ago. When funding permits, I'd like to have them done up for my girls as a piece of family history...any recommendations on a service provider?

WillBrink
04-28-13, 11:41
such a cool little gun, it just doesn't have that "throw away gun" feel like other small 25's, etc. the slide to frame fit is really nice, small fluting on the barrel, feels accross the board well made. i'm sending it to be restored. very very cool piece.

You gonna see how the old gal does at the range? Would be interesting to see if an old .25 was reliable, considering most modern ultra compact .25 are jam o matics.

Lot of history to a gun like that. Cool. :cool:

BigJoe
04-28-13, 11:54
Not to drift the thread, but I have two similar restoration projects involving older Remington long arms my grandfather left to me years ago. When funding permits, I'd like to have them done up for my girls as a piece of family history...any recommendations on a service provider?

I found a reputable 1911 builder willing to help me out, i won't go dropping names so he isn't inundated with requests. I would find a good smith for stuff that is similar and ask if he'll help you out.

I will most definately shoot the thing, i'm planning on putting it back into use if its reliable.

QuickStrike
04-28-13, 14:22
Pretty ugly lookin' pistol imo...

can I have it? :p

m1a_scoutguy
04-28-13, 21:13
Pretty ugly lookin' pistol imo...

can I have it? :p

Ah,,History can be a ugly thing that's for sure,,;),but cool as hell without a doubt !!!! I remember seeing those things in LGS for years,,at very cheap prices !!! Dam,,,wish I had bought them all !!! Cool Colt for sure !!! :)

philcam
04-28-13, 21:38
What an awesome family heirloom.

My opinion, I wouldn't restore it. It has character the way it is now.

samuse
04-28-13, 21:49

I'm with this guy. If you're gonna shoot it make sure the springs are good and it's safe.

That gun has a lot miles. Every scratch and dent on it has a story and was caused by the bumps and scrapes of life, and it has a patina that only a few generations of age will produce...

m1a_scoutguy
04-28-13, 22:58

I'm with this guy. If you're gonna shoot it make sure the springs are good and it's safe.

That gun has a lot miles. Every scratch and dent on it has a story and was caused by the bumps and scrapes of life, and it has a patina that only a few generations of age will produce...

Yea,,I had thought about saying that but didn't ;) !! its a tough thought I guess,,,,,1st question,,what is it really worth,,2nd,,how much to restore ?? Bottom line,,shoot it 1st see what she does,,if it messes up some,,fix what it is,,new springs,,,extractor,,etc,,not sure what goes into the little guys !! Bottom line ya got a AWESOME piece for sure,,do what ya want and don't worry about it !!! Enjoy,,& if ya do restore it,,,new pics for sure !!! :)

Pilot1
04-29-13, 06:14
That is very cool. Yes, I would also keep it as is. Have you shot it yet?

interfan
04-30-13, 01:46
Very nice. Keep the finish as it is, there's a lot of history there.

BigJoe
04-30-13, 14:35
I have not shot it, from what my grandfather said it probably only has 30 rounds through it maybe.

LightningFast
04-30-13, 15:18
Excellent piece of history you have there.

Amp Mangum
04-30-13, 17:58
That's a great little gun with a great story. Thanks for sharing it Joe.

Darkop
05-02-13, 23:23
I inherited a rifle from my grandfather and had it restored. I have always regretted not keeping it the way it was when I received it.

Think about your options for awhile before deciding on a restoration. I vote to keep it as is

Until that day,
Darkop

BigJoe
05-03-13, 01:41
Thank u all for the input but I will not watch these guns rust and pit away. I prefer to see them restored and passed on, they carry no less stories with new bluing. But they will weather better for myself and my son/ daughter/ grandkid when it's time for them to inherit them. I can appreciate all your opinions but my kids will appreciate these guns the way they are supposed to.

WhiskyNiner
05-03-13, 07:55
That's a sweet looking little pistol. A fine piece of family history. It's good that you can trace it to the original owner, and probably even have photographs to put a face to a memory.

My piece of history is from a family I don't know. My Dad's last wife had a revolver that she gave to me. It could have been her Dad's. I could have been from her first husband. The piece is a S&W M&P Police from 1908 (#115xxx). Much of the finish is gone, much of the rest is brown, but it shoots well and feels solid. No history came with it, but I do wonder whose hands also gave it care when I clean it after a range trip.

I was also fortunate to receive from her a Woodsman from about 1938. It was definitely from her husband and is at least in 95% condition. It is a wonderful shooter.

Stepmom's first husband was a medic in a tank killer squadron and went missing during the battle of the bulge. He showed up days later toting pockets full of badges, buckles, watches, monies, medals, and insignia from prisoners. I have a BIG collection there, too.

Stepmom went to go get the Woodsman out of the nightstand where Dad had kept it (he'd died ten years prior) and suggested it might be loaded. The magazine was full but there was no round in the chamber. Stepmom exclaimed surprise, but agreed that it was only proper as Dad was a combat vet (Bronze Star) from the Pacific theater. The .22s were only slightly corroded and there was no damage to the magazine.

What a joy they are to have when all that is left of the prior owners are memories. I hope you enjoy your Colt as much as I do my inheritance.