PDA

View Full Version : Do you think these 2 rifles can handle a carbine course?

das
04-27-13, 22:21
Both are on Stag lowers. Spikes LE M4 and BCM Midlength. Got rid of the disappointing Stag upper I had and feel much better with the BCM that replaced it always liked the Spikes.

Hwikek
04-27-13, 22:37
The only thing you should question is: do those lowers have an H buffer? Will your Stag FCG hold up? Are the castle nuts staked?

While two can be answered without attending a course, the middle question is probably the least likely to be a problem. If it was a DPMS factory built lower you would be in trouble. Those lowers should perform at an acceptable level but they may have issues with the FCG. FCG pins "walking" isn't a problem limited to any single manufacturer and it usually doesn't occur but make sure to have some spare parts at home just in case.

Other things you should consider for a course are a spare complete BCG, preloaded mags, preferably as many preloaded, functional mags as you can have-- make sure to only load them to 28 rounds each, and a pen and paper to take notes. You should consider taking a screwdriver and some blue locktite as well as a camera to photograph drills.

That should give you the best success.

Sentaruu
04-28-13, 05:40
pretty much what hwikek said, it's always a good idea to bring spare parts and tools to any class or training sessions.

how long is the course?

Hmac
04-28-13, 07:56
If your Stag lower works OK...ie drops mags reliably, controls work reliably etc, then it's likely to continue functioning even through a high-round-count course. I don't disagree that upgrading the FCG might be a rewarding thing to do. I really like the Giessele triggers that I have, although I keep hearing good things about ALG. I also am a big fan of BADASS safety selectors. I would also spend some time at the range trying to find the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle my range ammo. Mark your magazines. They do tend to get mixed up with other guys' magazines.

IMHO, the weak point in a consumer-grade ARs that functions well out of the box is the BCG. I suspect that's the component that would be most prone to failure in any AR and a high round-count course would be the situation where that weak point would most likely be uncovered. I'd have a spare if possible. If not possible, I'd make sure of the staking, make sure the rings are good, and acquire replacement extractor and associated parts. BCM has extractor upgrades, and last I checked they were one of the few things that are actually in stock. I would go over all the screwed or bolted-on parts, make sure they're tight and LocTited. Make sure your optic is functional. Most courses start with some zeroing of your optic and your irons. It will save you some time if you zero them at home first. I recommend zeroing them from prone, not a bench. Tools are a good idea. Hex wrenches, screwdrivers and some LocTite, cleaning kit and some good lube. I've found the MultiTasker to be a useful field tool for ARs. If you need anything fancier than that, you're pretty much hosed for the course and it's time to go to your backup rifle.

Relative to mags...more is better. But if not possible, you at least want a way of quickly loading them up. My preference has been a StripLuLa. I've found that to be an efficient and painless way of loading up mags at courses. In a high round-count course, I've preloaded my ammo on stripper clips (cheaply available from a lot of places, including ebay), which also work great with the StripLuLa -- allows me to load up a 30-round magazine in about 10 painless seconds. This video illustrates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCRJka3CN0 .

I've never particularly ascribed to the 28-rounds per magazine school of thought, have never found it to be necessary in the rifles and Pmags that I use. Nothing wrong with it, and it has a long tradition, I've just never found it necessary.

Do take a good attitude and an open mind. Try using every technique that the instructor recommends. You may find that some of those techniques don't work optimally for you and abandon them later, but it's good to learn them all so that you can optimally sort out the things that work for you and the things that don't and evolve your technique.

Chameleox
04-28-13, 08:07
Other things you should consider for a course are a spare complete BCG, preloaded mags, preferably as many preloaded, functional mags as you can have-- make sure to only load them to 28 rounds each, and a pen and paper to take notes. You should consider taking a screwdriver and some blue locktite as well as a camera to photograph drills.

Another factor that keeps guns from finishing classes is what you put in them during class. Bring good lube, and use quality ammo; that's half of the M.E.A.L. equation. Should mitigate some of the problems you might worry about.

samuse
04-28-13, 08:26
Go to the range and dump a case of ammo through 'em and find out.

I've been through my share of carbine and handgun classes and I've never seen any particularly harsh operating environments at any of 'em. You're gonna be at a gun range for a couple of days. Not like you're gonna be camped out in a sandstorm for two weeks.

They usually start kinda slow and turn into a bullet hose fest by the end of the second day. Lube your gun.

sinlessorrow
04-28-13, 10:29
The uppers will be fine. Despite my disproval of the owners practices and attitude he does make a quality upper built with quality parts.

das
04-29-13, 02:10
Thank you for all help. Dom

ChrisCross
04-29-13, 10:45
Lots of Lube, Applied often and heavily helps in many situations! :lol:

Seriously if you keep the AR's lubed up well you should be fine. Just bring spares and most anything can be replaced/worked around/through.