PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets Glock 21 KKM barrel

Maineshooter
04-28-13, 21:04
Due to the lack of jacketed bullets and loaded ammo on the market, I gave up trying to find them and decided to cast bullets for my G21. Shortage or no shortage - I am damn well going to shoot. I am getting a KKM barrel just for shooting cast bullets for training purposes.

Is there anyone with specific experience with the KKM G21 barrel and cast bullets? Looking to see if it likes some designs over others. I have a couple of molds (both Lyman - one 205 gr swc and a 225 gr round nose) to start with. Luckily I do know how to cast and I am set up with the equipment to do it. It get's pretty damn monotonous producing pistol bullets in bulk but it sure as hell is cheap.

Anway, if you have tips on what it likes what it doesn't like I am all ears/

Raven Armament
04-28-13, 21:45
Had a G30 I casted for before selling it a few years ago. Great choice going with a KKM barrel.

Forget the SWC design. They aren't reliable feeders in most Glocks due to the feed angle. A RN or TC (truncated cone) are the better options. The Lee 230gr TC is an unbeatable design. Molds are cheap for a 6 cavity. I'm a commercial ammo reloader and my number one seller in the .45 ACP is my 230gr LFP (which is the Lee TC design). Feeds in anything; Glocks, XDs, 1911s, M&Ps, SIGs, etc. Set that bullet to 1.185 OAL and you won't have any issues.

Don't get sucked into the "hardcast" nonsense going around these days with bullet casters. Bullet fit is king to prevent leading. Fit to your groove as long as it seals off your throat. In my KKM for my previously owned G30, .452 with WW + 2% tin was just the ticket.

The Lyman RN is a decent bullet but I've read it can be OAL picky.

Raven Armament
04-28-13, 21:47
If you want a few of the Lee 230gr TC bullet to try out before buying a mold, PM me your details and I can send the last of my batch out to you. I ran out of the other components to load them, so they'll have to sit a few weeks or so until resupply, and I'll be casting more for my ammo anyway. Let me know if you want some sample bullets.

Maineshooter
04-28-13, 21:53
Had a G30 I casted for before selling it a few years ago. Great choice going with a KKM barrel.

Forget the SWC design. They aren't reliable feeders in most Glocks due to the feed angle. A RN or TC (truncated cone) are the better options. The Lee 230gr TC is an unbeatable design. Molds are cheap for a 6 cavity. I'm a commercial ammo reloader and my number one seller in the .45 ACP is my 230gr LFP (which is the Lee TC design). Feeds in anything; Glocks, XDs, 1911s, M&Ps, SIGs, etc. Set that bullet to 1.185 OAL and you won't have any issues.

Don't get sucked into the "hardcast" nonsense going around these days with bullet casters. Bullet fit is king to prevent leading. Fit to your groove as long as it seals off your throat. In my KKM for my previously owned G30, .452 with WW + 2% tin was just the ticket.

The Lyman RN is a decent bullet but I've read it can be OAL picky.

I've heard the same thing about the swc design. I have been trying like hell to find a 6 cav LFP made by lee. Can't get them anywhere at the moment. I'm with you on bullet fit and I am not on the hardcast bandwagon- I usually use the same recipe but I am going to try to cut the WW with range lead to see if it works to stretch out the WW supply. I think if my fit is good and the load is reasonable it should be ok.

Thanks for the tip.

Maineshooter
04-28-13, 21:59
If you want a few of the Lee 230gr TC bullet to try out before buying a mold, PM me your details and I can send the last of my batch out to you. I ran out of the other components to load them, so they'll have to sit a few weeks or so until resupply, and I'll be casting more for my ammo anyway. Let me know if you want some sample bullets.

Sent you a pm. Hopefully we can work something out. If I know that design works then maybe I can ramp up the search for the lee 6 cav.

Maineshooter
12-01-13, 21:23
Just an update, though this is a bit of a necro post at this time: The KKM barrel has proved to be a gem. I did not have much luck with the Lyman 225 gr round nose bullet and was tinkering around with it when buddy dropped off 500 200 gr SWC that he picked up for me from a local supplier, as well as ten loaded rounds each with the SWC bullet and a 200 gr rnfp bullet. Accuracy was great with the SWC design with no feeding issues. The accuracy was scary good with the rnfp design (I still don't even know what the bullet is but I am going to find out). I loaded up the SWC bullets and they all shot great (which I did not expect since everyone I have talked to said I would most likely have issues). The next project is to get my hands on 500 of the rnfp bullets that I was given as a sample. If it wasn't a fluke, my group size (compared to quality ball ammo and a factory barrel) was literally cut in half. In fact it was the best offhand group I have ever fired at 25 yards.

I don't want to jinx myself at this point, but KKM barrels plus quality lead bullets = better accuracy than quality factory ammo by a long shot. I couldn't be happier with KKM. If anyone is considering buying one, just do it. They have great customer service as well.