PDA

View Full Version : Rifled Chokes?

alvincullumyork
04-28-13, 23:12
This is a stupid question but is there such a thing? My friend is convinced that his brother has a choke that has some form of rifling in it that puts spin on slugs and it screws into a smooth barrel. This sounds ridiculous and impossible to me but he is convinced. Is there such a thing?

Confed-rifleman
04-29-13, 01:09
Very much true. Not as good as a fully rifled slug barrel. It's a bit of a low cost compromise for those who are too cheap to pay for the complete barrel but still want to shoot sabot slugs.

Guns-up.50
04-29-13, 09:04
Yeah they're real, i cant see myself being able to justify owning one. One should be able to get good hits out to a 100m without the choke, and past that I reccomend full rifleing,cobined with a good sabot.

Hedgelj
04-29-13, 09:11
Very true and can be very accurate, easily minute of deer which is what we use them for here in ohio.

Posted via tapatalk, helping people post from odd locations every day.

26 Inf
04-29-13, 09:32
Here you go:

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-style-details.php?rifled-choke-tubes&cts=25

Primarily intended to shoot sabots rather than foster style slugs.

In terms of accuracy with slugs this statement is attributed to the Technical Director at Hastings Barrels:

"There is also 100% confirmation that eliminating rifling length reduces spin which diminishes downrange accuracy. The longer the barrel and the rifling, the more spin, and the tighter the groups at distance. Probably the ONLY 100% predictable result in anything to do with firearms."

Shooting slugs out of a rifled choke:

"Several years ago my lifelong shooting buddy was actually making rifled choke tubes for one of the major players. I had many occasions to experiment, make suggestions and assist in the design.
After a lot of experimentation a couple of things became quite obvious.
Back then Fosters were pretty much all that was available..soooo. You fire a SOFT lead slug in your smooth bore and it reaches maybe 1200 to 1400 fps, all of a sudden you slam that SOFT lead slug into a rifled choke tube that is maybe 3 to 4 inches long. Mostly all the slug does is skid across the rifling.
The groves and lands in the choke tube are far too small and light to capture a SOFT lead slug and reliably spin it with any accuracy. It is a fact though, ANY amount will stabilize a projectile MORE than no spin whatever.
The bottom line is, I guess from my several years of testing various rifled choke tubes is that any improvement is absolutely minimal to non existent."

alvincullumyork
04-29-13, 13:00
Shit. I am going to have to eat a flock of crows. :suicide2:

usmcvet
05-01-13, 17:23
Shit. I am going to have to eat a flock of crows. :suicide2:

Well you could just pretend you never said it :)

Confed-rifleman
05-02-13, 10:39
I know you were asking about rifled chokes for slugs but, there are also rifled chokes that are known as "diffusion" chokes. They spin the was and shot to create a wider spread than cylinder chokes for close shots. Think of it kind of like a "blunderbuss" effect. Sometimes used in 3-gun for stages with a lot of close-up shots on clays.

GH41
05-02-13, 17:39
Briley marketed the rifled spreader choke for years. It was pretty much worthless! All it did was deform a hand full of shot causing them to fly out of the pattern slightly. GH

prc77
05-05-13, 00:48
[QUOTE=GH41;1631816]Briley marketed the rifled spreader choke for years. It was pretty much worthless! All it did was deform a hand full of shot causing them to fly out of the pattern slightly. GH[/QUOTE

The SPREADER or DIFUSSER choke can be used in a multigun / shotgun set up. If you have a stage with a lot of static CLAY targets. It works very good, with 7.5 or #8.

alvincullumyork
05-05-13, 01:07
Well you could just pretend you never said it :)

He hasn't brought it back up yet so I am letting sleeping dogs lie. :dance3:

usmcvet
05-05-13, 16:18
He hasn't brought it back up yet so I am letting sleeping dogs lie. :dance3:

That's what I'd do!