PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shipped to an APO?

baffle Stack
07-09-06, 10:44
I just sold a guitar amp an ebay and a guy stationed in Japan won. He already paypal'd me the funds so all I have to do is ship the amp. Is it true that The shipping price will be the same as shipping to California? Anything else about APOs I need to know about?

Thanks guys,
Ants

K.L. Davis
07-09-06, 15:44
AE New York, NY
AP San Francisco, CA
AA Miami, FL

There are some restrictions and stuff, check out oconus.com for starters

baffle Stack
07-09-06, 16:37
AP, thank you for the link K.L.

baffle Stack
07-10-06, 18:58
USPS told me the package was too heavy. UPS and FexEx said they do not ship to an APO. Can anyone think of another option?

HarveyMushman
07-11-06, 06:55
I've been living over seas for 12 of the past 17 years and have had FPO & APO addresses the whole time, and I've never had a problem getting anything mailed to me.

Try going down to your local post office. As long as you have it packaged safely (so it won't break) and it's under 70lbs (i think that's the limit), you should have no problem sending it.

Just make sure you send it insured/registered AND MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!! I recently bought a bayonet from a guy on arfcom and when the box arrived, it had a big hole in the bottom and the knife was gone. I CANNOT file a claim till the sender sends me the original receipt for the shipping insurance.

You will also have to fill out a customs form (small green card that has your address, his address, and a description of the contents). I think there is also another form you have to fill out, that also gets stuck on the front of the box.

If it's too heavy, you may have to go through a freight company...

Good luck,

HM

ETA: If all else fails, ask the guy for his command / unit's local mailing address (street address) there in japan. Every military command / unit stateside & overseas has a local address (street address) for the shipment of large items. UPS and FEDEX can and do ship to these addresses. If he doesn't know, let me know what his unit / command is and I may be able to help you out.

I'm stationed on Guam right now, and we ship stuff to japan via fedex all the time. If he can't figure it out, ask him for his "DSN" phone number and I'll call him up and help him out.

baffle Stack
07-11-06, 11:12
Its over 70 lbs so it will probably go freight. I let him know and he said a refund would be fine, but before that let’s see if I can get him to chime in here.