PDA

View Full Version : what 18" barrel

narcedglocker
04-29-13, 17:14
since MD will be banning all AR15s i figure i should stock up on lowers. The first complete rifle i am going to build will be an SPR type. I'm not trying to make a clone just an accurate rifle. Already have one AR with a 16" gov't profile M4 barrel. Who makes a good mid-length gas 18"?

Agnostic
04-29-13, 18:48
While not a midlength gas, my vote is for a 18" rifle length BCM SS410 barrel. I just got a 16" SS410 barreled upper, and I just need a scope mount to take it out. I have read a lot of good things about the BCM SS barrels. They are 1/8" twist, if that is a deal breaker.

Rainier has at least one type of midlength gas barrel in 18" and folks really like their offerings. Maybe white oak also. Larue has 18" complete uppers with midlength gas, I am not sure if they sell barrels separately. I am sure that someone else will have more suggestions, it seems like there are a lot of good options out there.

AeroEngi
04-29-13, 18:52
Noveske makes excellent 18" mid-length barrels but they're slightly on the expensive side. If you want a quality barrel for a good price, I would start looking into White Oak barrels. If you decide to order from White Oak, be prepared to wait a while.

Pappabear
04-29-13, 19:26
BCM and WHITE OAK make great such barrels.
I have a White oak.

narcedglocker
04-29-13, 19:58
Awesome

Thanks all!

CFII
04-29-13, 20:25
Im quite happy with my Daniel Defense 18" S2W bbl. It is sub moa with 68gr and 77gr BH.

BrigandTwoFour
04-29-13, 20:40
Is MD the one that is banning stripped lowers too? Someone from one of the new "less-free" states was talking about the law only applying to complete rifles, and stripped receivers would not count.

Now, how they would prove that I don't know.

That said, I've been in the market for an 18" SPR set up for a while. I'm probably going to go the 6.8 route with it, though. But my top four picks were BCM SS410, Noveske, Rainier Ultramatch, or the Centurion Arms DMR barrels (same as on the Mk 12)

Toxicodendron
04-29-13, 20:40
Gotta say White Oak

Servo
04-29-13, 20:52
This may have some ideas;
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105392

FWIW I have a Rainier Arms Match 18" SPR chamberd in .223 Wylde, it's under MOA with factory ammo.

eperk
04-29-13, 20:53
Im quite happy with my Daniel Defense 18" S2W bbl. It is sub moa with 68gr and 77gr BH.

I'll second that. My latest build has a DD S2W middy barrel. Most accurate gun in my safe with the exception of my 26" Winchester .25 Super Short Magnum. It's a beast for accuracy but heavy as all get out.

Iraqgunz
04-29-13, 21:09
If you are truly worried about it, I would be more focused on spending money on lowers unless they are banning barrels and parts too.

narcedglocker
04-30-13, 08:43
If you are truly worried about it, I would be more focused on spending money on lowers unless they are banning barrels and parts too.

I have my paperwork in for a registered collectors license so I can buy another 10 lowers this summer.

That will hold me over until I can move.

kavants
05-01-13, 07:59
I have the Black Hole Weaponry 18" Midlength. I am very pleased. I have heared they make the barrels for Rainier Arms as well, but no confirmation of this.

Highvoltage
05-01-13, 12:37
Just finished building an upper with the BCM 18" rifle barrel referenced above. I've only function fired at an indoor range, but it was soft shooting, and put 10 rds through a dime sized hole @75'. Fit and finish was really nice, feed ramps had a mirror polish, etc.

I also have a Noveske 18" bbl, it's their "intermediate" length gas system. Nice bead blasted finish, and their price, while a bit high includes the gas tube, and low profile gas block. I'm waiting on a Larue upper to finish that one off. I imagine it will be more accurate than I am, can't wait to get it finished and to the 800 yd range.

Alex V
05-01-13, 12:58
Can't say enough good things about my Noveske 18" SPR Barrel. It shoots way better that me.

davidjinks
05-01-13, 13:52
Not a mid-length gas system but...

I've had excellent results with my Douglas 18" SPR barrels.

^Rb
05-01-13, 15:38
I have the Black Hole Weaponry 18" Midlength. I am very pleased. I have heared they make the barrels for Rainier Arms as well, but no confirmation of this.

Can confirm this as it came from somebody @ Rainier Arms.

Their 'Select' series is very good for the money.

Coal Dragger
05-01-13, 15:56
My Daniel Defense 18" S2W contour has been outstanding. Installed easy, head spaced correctly, and has run like a champ.

With 77gr Matchkings over a near max dose of Hodgdon CFE 223 in Lake City brass with a WSR primer I am getting easy .5-.75 MOA five shot groups. By easy I mean I am not even really trying hard. I have had a few groups go as small as .3" at 100 yards with this load in this barrel.

As if that were not enough I was screwing around with a Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block and in the process of getting it dialed in and function checked I ran a 15 round group. I shifted natural point of aim several times, and only used a bipod with no rear bag in the snow. The bipod wouldn't stay put on the hard pack snow. My 15 round group was still under 1" at 100 yards.

Best part is that this combo literally worked right on the first try. That never happens for me. Ever. To just whip up a reload, crank 50 of them out to screw around and check for basic accuracy and function and have stellar results just floored me.

This barrel is consistent enough that I have been playing around making long shots on prairie dogs the past few weeks. I'm not going to claim first round hits on these dogs at 600 yards with this load and this barrel since it would be a lie. However using the hash marks on my Nightforce 3.5-15X50 after using them to rough in the range, I have obtained hits. It takes consistent accuracy to be able to shoot, adjust, shoot again, adjust, and then get a hit.

FloridaWoodsman
05-03-13, 01:45
I'm another happy user of the Daniel Defense 18". The limiting factor on accuracy is me.

Mak8080
05-03-13, 10:13
I've been happy with my DD and Noveske barrels. White Oak is on my next to buy list as well.

wrcpete
05-03-13, 11:12
I am happy with my Blackhole Weaponry 18" barrel rifle length. Its heavy though! I have also been pleased with their customer service. I wanted to support a business in my state. So far so good.

trdt44
05-03-13, 15:36
I have an 18" Mid WOA and really like it so far. I shot it for the first time last weekend and was really impressed. I will be going out again this weekend to really see what it can do. I also like the bead blasted finish.

AeroEngi
05-03-13, 17:51
I have an 18" Mid WOA and really like it so far. I shot it for the first time last weekend and was really impressed. I will be going out again this weekend to really see what it can do. I also like the bead blasted finish.

What made you choose the mid length over the rifle length?

smac61
05-04-13, 11:36
I picked up an 18" WOA SPR (rifle length gas) for my next build. I went this route partly on reading of others success with this barrel, but mostly based on a build I did around the same barrel in 6.8. Very impressive barrel. If the 5.56 barrel performs as well, I'll be a happy camper.

I chose rifle length based mostly on availability but I did agonize over rifle vs. middy for a few minutes. In the end, rifle length has a well established track record for 18" builds, so I went that way.

Lots of good choices out there. Good luck.