PDA

View Full Version : One thing I do not like about Spikes.

sinlessorrow
04-29-13, 17:37
So with me building a new rifle(M4A1 clone) I decided I would rebuild my SBR lower with new parts from a quality company.

Now one thing spikes does is they like to tap their lower for the rear takedown spring so it doesnt shoot out when a novice begins taking apart a rifle. What this means is they cut down the takedown spring. My rear takedown spring has never been very stiff but it always worked. I decided it was time to fix that and wanted to show you just what they do, aside from this their lowers are built well and this is just one of my peeves I cannot stand.

Here is the lower after removing the little screw thing.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/IMG_2095_zpsb6c4175c.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/SinlesSorrow/media/IMG_2095_zpsb6c4175c.jpg.html)

Here is the difference in springs.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/IMG_2096_zpsbe13f074.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/SinlesSorrow/media/IMG_2096_zpsbe13f074.jpg.html)

justin_247
04-29-13, 17:41
That is very interesting. I've never noticed that before, but I guess I would have been in for a surprise when the spring doesn't pop out later this year when I install an A5 receiver extension on one of my Spike's lowers.

It's actually sort of a nifty idea.

MistWolf
04-29-13, 17:49
...and I thought you just didn't like the Rock'em Sock'em Phallics

8200rpm
04-29-13, 18:27
Maybe I'm petty, but the Dueling Dicks logo pretty much makes that and anything else from Spikes a non-issue for me.

Not a problem if you don't buy them.

slamd095
04-29-13, 19:44
Sounds like a love hate thing you have going. How has the Lower been for you over all, other then that little pesky issue?

ryr8828
04-29-13, 19:48
I've built 4 spikes lowers and don't recall that being so in any of them.

It's been a while, maybe my memory is bad.

jaxman7
04-29-13, 19:49
I cannot get over the spider. Give me the stigmata of a simpleton. But I hate that thing.

-Jax

Split66
04-29-13, 19:53
I cannot get over the spider. Give me the stigmata of a simpleton. But I hate that thing.

-Jax

Roger that on the Spider penis.

sinlessorrow
04-29-13, 20:44
Sounds like a love hate thing you have going. How has the Lower been for you over all, other then that little pesky issue?

Aside from the owners antics and his vulcan arms way of promoting his company, the dualing dongs logo, and the issue posted above their lowers are fine, finish is usually very good and they built properly.

This lower has been through some use, it has been my main lower for the past 5yrs so it is a good lower despite its flaws.

PatrioticDisorder
04-29-13, 20:52
Maybe I'm petty, but the Dueling Dicks logo pretty much makes that and anything else from Spikes a non-issue for me.

Not a problem if you don't buy them.

And here I was thinking it was a spider, albeit an ugly spider logo.

CMW
04-29-13, 21:54
Here is the difference in springs.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/IMG_2096_zpsbe13f074.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/SinlesSorrow/media/IMG_2096_zpsbe13f074.jpg.html)[/QUOTE]

I don't know why they would cut the spring down that far, no wonder it feels soft. There was a machine shop nearby me helping guys out with finishing their 80% lowers, and they also offered this mod to anyone interested. The guy there did say to only cut the spring down the length of the set screw, which I guess is obvious ha.

Heavy Metal
04-29-13, 22:39
No need to cut the spring any further than the length of the set screw.

sinlessorrow
04-29-13, 22:50
No need to cut the spring any further than the length of the set screw.

That was the springs that Spike's sent with the lower.

AKDoug
04-29-13, 22:55
Is that lower detente a little longer?

1911-A1
04-29-13, 22:57
I think the tapping is a great idea. I know people have legitimate gripes about Spikes, but this should not be one of them.

We should give credit for good ideas.

sinlessorrow
04-29-13, 23:07
I think the tapping is a great idea. I know people have legitimate gripes about Spikes, but this should not be one of them.

We should give credit for good ideas.

To me this is a fix to a non-issue since installing and removing an end plate without losing the spring is so simple a cave man can do it, this also opens up the ability to overshorten the spring when you snip it, like spikes did to mine(It has always been like this since I got the lower).

pinzgauer
04-29-13, 23:16
To me this is a fix to a non-issue since installing and removing an end plate without losing the spring is so simple a cave man can do it, this also opens up the ability to overshorten the spring when you snip it, like spikes did to mine(It has always been like this since I got the lower).

I would not be keen on needing a small, non-standard allen key if I ever did have to deal with it in the field.

How big of a problem is lost springs & detents anyway????

The more I learn the more I believe SWAG (Stoner Was A Genius). Not that the AR is perfect, but......

Tiny Killer Robot
04-30-13, 01:08
http://i.imgur.com/jGc0k.jpg

sinlessorrow
04-30-13, 02:52
I would not be keen on needing a small, non-standard allen key if I ever did have to deal with it in the field.

How big of a problem is lost springs & detents anyway????

The more I learn the more I believe SWAG (Stoner Was A Genius). Not that the AR is perfect, but......

if you are careful they are hard to lose, If you are careless I can see the spring shooting out. I always loosen the castle nut all the way then raise the end plate and nothing goes shooting.

Swstock
04-30-13, 11:31
Thats not tapped on any of mine.

Ive seen peopletap it themselves as a "mod".

pinzgauer
04-30-13, 12:21
if you are careful they are hard to lose, If you are careless I can see the spring shooting out. I always loosen the castle nut all the way then raise the end plate and nothing goes shooting.

Yep. So we hammer staking castle nuts.

Yet are worried about people loosening castle nuts and losing springs in some well intentioned but misinformed routine dis assembly????

To me anyone having this problem has bigger problems than lost springs to worry about. How many times are they removing the castle nut & end plate? In the field? Heaven forbid they take their grip off! :)

Riddle
05-01-13, 01:19
didnt know spikes did that. i havent seen that on any of my spikes lowers (3 of them)

kavants
05-01-13, 07:37
That mod was done at the factory to my PSA lower. Liked it so much I did it to my other rifles.

1911-A1
05-01-13, 09:56
Yep. So we hammer staking castle nuts.

Yet are worried about people loosening castle nuts and losing springs in some well intentioned but misinformed routine dis assembly????

To me anyone having this problem has bigger problems than lost springs to worry about. How many times are they removing the castle nut & end plate? In the field? Heaven forbid they take their grip off! :)

I think it's just a convenience, not a band aid for noobs. I think a lot of the disapproval is due to it being Spikes, not Noveske or another quality company.

CoryCop25
05-01-13, 10:11
If I am not mistaken, threading the takedown detent hole and the bolt catch pin hole was going to be a requirement for CRANE trials. I think they wanted the springs to be captive for changing out different parts and for ease of armorer cleaning. If I can remember where I heard this, I will give credit.

Vec
05-01-13, 10:13
thats the first thing i do to my rifles or ones i build... is tap that to 4-40 and clip the spring. :D

ScatmanCrothers
05-01-13, 14:58
Built up a seekins billet a few weeks back and it had this too. Clipped the spring to fit and it functioned as usual.

Wasn't impressed enough to go tapping my own gear.

pinzgauer
05-01-13, 16:23
thats the first thing i do to my rifles or ones i build... is tap that to 4-40 and clip the spring. :D

Having had to drill and remove stuck 4-40 allen screws more than once in other applications, I'd really be concerned about dissimilar metal corrosion. Hopefully you used a SS setscrew, and something to seal the raw aluminum.

FloridaWoodsman
05-03-13, 23:31
Mine is maybe two years old, and I don't have that. I don't think I would care one way or the other.

Bulletdog
05-04-13, 10:24
Another solution without a problem.

I'm with the OP on this one. I don't like it either. Glad none of my lowers have it.

sinlessorrow
05-04-13, 13:41

I'm with the OP on this one. I don't like it either. Glad none of my lowers have it.

Now that I have rebuilt the lower with new parts I just skipped the whole screw thing, luckily they kept it small so I was able to just stick in a new detent and spring.

M90A1
05-04-13, 13:51
Whatever floats your boats, guys, but I've been doing this to every AR I've owned over the last fifteen years. Once a rifle was built, I don't think I've ever had reason to remove the take-down pin, but I've changed a lot of stocks and receiver extensions, so why not make the mod? Sure, it's small thing, but one less thing to go wrong.

justin_247
05-04-13, 15:23
Unfortunately, I don't have access to my Spike's lowers right now to look into this, but I did manage to find the apparent origin of this practice:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/395777_Simple_fix_for_the_rear_takedown_detent_spring_blues____.html&page=1

pinzgauer
05-04-13, 15:51
Read the article on TOS.. People selling kits to do this. Then reports of broken taps, stripped threads..... Others saying to use KNS pins instead.

Do people swap receiver extensions so much that this is an issue?

All the pics show mild steel setscrews, I guess they never worry about getting stuck screws out in a few years. Mild steel in contact with raw Aluminum, in an out of sight spot. Not a good idea!

If you feel compelled to do this at least get an Stainless steel setscrew

sinlessorrow
05-04-13, 16:03
Read the article on TOS.. People selling kits to do this. Then reports of broken taps, stripped threads..... Others saying to use KNS pins instead.

Do people swap receiver extensions so much that this is an issue?

All the pics show mild steel setscrews, I guess they never worry about getting stuck screws out in a few years. Mild steel in contact with raw Aluminum, in an out of sight spot. Not a good idea!

If you feel compelled to do this at least get an Stainless steel setscrew
My thoughts as well. As long as you dont go twisting that RE before you pull the end plate up I just do not see how its possible to lose the spring.

Eurodriver
05-04-13, 16:43
I have a ST Lower (that I'm married to for life) It does not have this.

What is the "dueling dongs" logo?

ForTehNguyen
05-04-13, 18:39

some people see two penises in the logo instead of the spider, whatever floats their boat

ScatmanCrothers
05-04-13, 18:46

If you're sporting a stamp for one then don't ask cause 'the gif' is bound to pop up. Let sleeping dogs lie.

sinlessorrow
05-04-13, 18:57

Google spikes tactical dualing dongs

rapomstage3
05-04-13, 18:59
I'm just surprised you found only one thing you didn't like!

DIRTMAN556
05-06-13, 00:10
http://i.imgur.com/jGc0k.jpg

See I always thought that it was Vader. Dislike the logo either way. And I'm a Star Wars nerd.

sinlessorrow
05-06-13, 00:13
http://i42.tinypic.com/xbbajk.gif

justin_247
05-06-13, 01:50
Wow, some of you guys are really obsessed with roll marks.

BillyJack2012
05-06-13, 12:39
Wow, some of you guys are really obsessed with roll marks.

... and penis.

MuddyMo
05-07-13, 01:25
I tried to post yesterday, but being a green noob, my account hadn't been activated yet. Just wanted to say that my recent Aero Precision lower is tapped in this way.

slamd095
05-07-13, 12:37
... and penis.

I feel jealousy is strong with this one.

:D

Now I am stuck between a seekins and a spikes...Could care less about whats on the thing. I just want something in place that I dont have to worry about.

c3006
05-07-13, 16:45
... and penis.

This thread could kill there sales :no:

SW-Shooter
05-07-13, 17:16
Anyone that see's a phallic symbol in the Spider is clearly someone that looked at other boys in the shower.

sinlessorrow
05-07-13, 17:29
Anyone that see's a phallic symbol in the Spider is clearly someone that looked at other boys in the shower.

Lol once someone on TOS posted the pic I could not unsee the damage

Berserkr556
05-10-13, 21:46
I don't like anything spikes and now that i've seen the dueling dongs it seals the deal. Why in the world would you want to drill & tap your lower receiver that way ? Stoner knew what he was doing why change something that isn't a problem in the first place.

foxtrotx1
05-11-13, 01:42
Without going too far into psychology, you don't have to be gay to see phallic symbols in life.

GunRelated
05-11-13, 03:14
I've had several Spike's lowers in the recent past and none of them had this hole tapped. I have since sold all of my Spike's gear, except for one rifle which I plan to get rid of soon. The main reason I have grown to dislike Spike's is because of Tom. It's sad that the CEO of a company gives the whole company a bad rep, because I have dealt with their CS a few times and was very pleased with the workers I dealt with. I just can't stand a smart ass like Tom and won't be giving him anymore of my $.

VLODPG
05-11-13, 07:13

How did anyone ever get by without this awesome mod? :rolleyes:

sinlessorrow
05-11-13, 11:10
I've had several Spike's lowers in the recent past and none of them had this hole tapped. I have since sold all of my Spike's gear, except for one rifle which I plan to get rid of soon. The main reason I have grown to dislike Spike's is because of Tom. It's sad that the CEO of a company gives the whole company a bad rep, because I have dealt with their CS a few times and was very pleased with the workers I dealt with. I just can't stand a smart ass like Tom and won't be giving him anymore of my $.

Tom is a complete and total dbag. In a recent thread he is doggin PSA(who is not one of my fav manuf.) because they do not locktite their carrier key screws.....He is one reason I do not use Spikes gear and if my lower wasnt registered I wouldnt have it either.

Not to mention the fake suppressor that is lol worthy.

JusticeM4
05-14-13, 22:21
You guys do know they offer other rollmarks right? And If you are seeing penises instead of a spider, well you may have other issues...
Just sayin

I've built 2 AR's with Spikes receivers and have not encountered any issues with them. I don't even know about the CEO and his d-baggery, and never dealt with the guy personally so that doesn't matter to me.