PDA

View Full Version : FN barrels - made where?

wjg
04-29-13, 21:12
I am trying to decide between a DD or a Spikes/PSA CHF barrel (FN made).

There doesn't seem to be any really performance difference between the two, and I haven't been able to find how Spike's special profile is superior (if it is). S, it may come down to where these barrels are made. I Know FN at least has offices in the US, but where are the barrels manufactured? TIA

bleaman225
04-29-13, 21:16
Pretty sure FN makes their barrels in SC

http://www.fnmfg.com/capabilities/Gun%20Barrels/

VIP3R 237
04-29-13, 21:26
The Spikes branded FN barrels are excellent. I've used them in many builds and have never have a problem with them. The packaging states made in USA.

Their Special profile is in between a Govt and Lightweight. It's a good compromise.

wjg
04-29-13, 21:42
Pretty sure FN makes their barrels in SC

http://www.fnmfg.com/capabilities/Gun%20Barrels/

I have read that, but FN makes it a point to mention their experience provided by Belgium, but no where on their site, or places that sell their barrel, have I seen it mentioned that they are in the USA, or wherever they may be made. Their site is for "FN Manufacturing" but it seems just an import office. It would be odd that the idea of people want their parts made in the USA, totally escapes them to mention it in their webpage. I know they have US government contracts, they might be required to be made in the USA, but the barrels made for distributors I cant find anything.

_Stormin_
04-29-13, 21:52
They're made in South Carolina. The second post was accurate.

BufordTJustice
04-29-13, 23:26

Correct. FNH USA also makes M2 .50 cal barrels and entire M16A4's for Uncle Sam in their SC facility.

pinzgauer
04-29-13, 23:34

My impression was that most of the CHF AR barrels on the market were made there under contract.

Any read on DD's CHF's? I'd be amazed if they went elsewhere since they are so close to FN in SC.

_Stormin_
04-29-13, 23:38
AFAIK the DD's use their own barrels that they themselves make. Not a contract produced part.

That said, I have not had an issue with FN barrels, and would not hesitate to buy another that I knew that had produced.

BufordTJustice
04-29-13, 23:39
My impression was that most of the CHF AR barrels on the market were made there under contract.

Any read on DD's CHF's? I'd be amazed if they went elsewhere since they are so close to FN in SC.

DD has their own HF machine.

pinzgauer
04-29-13, 23:44

Interesting! I knew they were early with CHF, but did not know that.

Wonder who is making the US AUG clone CHF barrels?

Iraqgunz
04-30-13, 03:04
Correct. And most of the info posted here has been made public and discussed numerous times.

polymorpheous
04-30-13, 03:10
Barrels can no longer be imported.
They would have to be manufactured in SC.

Hkbeltfed
04-30-13, 05:59
Wonder who is making the US AUG clone CHF barrels?

FN is.

The_War_Wagon
04-30-13, 06:10
Northeast suburb of Columbia, SC. I saw the plant, when I was there in grad school in the mid-'90's. :cool:

Fordtough25
04-30-13, 07:04
I had a 16" spikes carbine and I have a 20" PSA with the FN barrel and they both shoot great! Very accurate and great function.

PalmettoStateArmory
04-30-13, 08:54
The barrels are made 10 minutes down the road from us in Columbia, SC. If I remember correctly, the plant here also does the FNX handguns, M16, M249, and M240B. They also do odds and ends for the other firearms they manufacture.

Ironically, the plant is located across the street from a large liberal-type shopping area. :lol:

If you are fortunate enough or know someone you can get a tour of the plant!

pinzgauer
04-30-13, 12:52
FN is.

Thanks, my impression was that there was a relatively small number of CHF machines in the US for barrel making. Remington, FN, I think one of the HK clone companies, etc. And apparently DD as well.

Maybe there are more now, but that was my understanding

dewatters
04-30-13, 13:49
Thanks, my impression was that there was a relatively small number of CHF machines in the US for barrel making. Remington, FN, I think one of the HK clone companies, etc. And apparently DD as well.

Maybe there are more now, but that was my understanding

Winchester and Remington started using CHF machines back in the 1960s. Ruger started in the early 1970s. It is not new or rare technology by any means.

Quentin
04-30-13, 16:15
The Spikes branded FN barrels are excellent. I've used them in many builds and have never have a problem with them. The packaging states made in USA.

Their Special profile is in between a Govt and Lightweight. It's a good compromise.

PSA also sells that FN special profile barrel, I got one last year. I think they call it the lighter profile. They also have FN pencil and gov't profiles. The "in betweener" uses the .750" gas block like the gov't and not the .625" block of the pencil barrel. All three are .625" under the handguards but forward of the gas block they're all different diameters. The 16" pencil is only 2-3 oz lighter than the new profile. Forward of the gas block you have to look hard to see the difference between the new profile and the gov't.

gunnut284
04-30-13, 16:57
Barrels can no longer be imported.

You sure about that? I was under the impression that only used/surplus barrels were effected.

AMMOTECH
04-30-13, 17:08
The barrels are made 10 minutes down the road from us in Columbia, SC. If I remember correctly, the plant here also does the FNX handguns, M16, M249, and M240B. They also do odds and ends for the other firearms they manufacture.

Ironically, the plant is located across the street from a large liberal-type shopping area. :lol:

This. ;)

Larry Vickers
05-01-13, 07:47
CHF barrels are not new and rare technology but it is the same thing as making cars ; KIA's are made basically the same way as Mercedes but no one is going to confuse the two

Winchester and Remington make barrels via CHF but no one is going to confuse them with FN or HK made CHF barrels

They are not one and the same

TY44934
05-01-13, 12:54
You sure about that? I was under the impression that only used/surplus barrels were effected.

Incorrect. ANY barrel for a banned assault weapon is also banned from import whether new or used. This is why we are not able to get Chinese made AR-15 barrels, nor Canadian C7 barrels, German Rienland Arms AR-15 barrels, etc.

Furthermore, the cut-up barrels included with Kalashnikov parts kits include new AND used barrels. They are cut to pieces because they could not be imported otherwise.

Finally, there are loop-holes: Current "Russian" AK-47s are imported as "sporting rifles" such as the Siaga or VEPR - then converted here. The barrel in that case is considered part of an importable gun instead of a banned Kalashnikov barrel. The first Sig 556 barrels were "manufactured" here using nearly complete blanks. The Romanian "WASR" rifles are imported as 10-shot only "sporter" rifles; after they arrive, the magazine well is opened up.

This is not cheating - it is actually following the letter of the import law. BTW - Glock uses similar loop holes by importing many models with adjustable "target sights" - only to remove them after they arrive here.

pinzgauer
05-01-13, 18:12
CHF barrels are not new and rare technology but it is the same thing as making cars ; KIA's are made basically the same way as Mercedes but no one is going to confuse the two

Winchester and Remington make barrels via CHF but no one is going to confuse them with FN or HK made CHF barrels

'Zackly!

It's not new tech, but it's fair to say the European mfg's have 3x the experience with the Steyr process. (back to WWII)

Winchester sort of played in this space in the 60's with their rotary swage (Torrington machine/process). But it was not as effective a process. Same for Remington with hot forging.

My understanding is that Ruger was the 1st to use the Steyr process GFM machines in the US commercially in the 90's, shortly followed by Remington. Back then the machines were $1M a pop!

Rock Island Arsenal (the arsenal, not the current RIA company) had the first GFM Steyr process machine in the US back in 1975. I read a pretty neat report on their findings that led to the usage in most of the US weapons. They recommended it for the M16A1, wonder how Colt resisted.

The most recent estimate I'm aware of is under 2 dozen GFM barrel machines in the US, with most in the hands of FN Herstal, Ruger, and Remington. Unless they have become way cheaper it's not something a mom & pop can justify, unlike CNC. But I'm probably a few years out of date on this.

It's also not enough to just have the machine, my understand is that the heat treat for stress relief is also critical.

I have to assume process control and steel quality drives much of the difference between Steyr/HK/Sako/FN hammer forged barrels and the Ruger/Remington. :)

Remington played with hot forging early on, but apparently like Ruger went to the Steyr process (GFM Machines) primarily for long term cost benefits. That and (for Ruger) less dependence on external contractors for barrels.

gunnut284
05-02-13, 04:18
Incorrect. ANY barrel for a banned assault weapon is also banned from import whether new or used. This is why we are not able to get Chinese made AR-15 barrels, nor Canadian C7 barrels, German Rienland Arms AR-15 barrels, etc.

Furthermore, the cut-up barrels included with Kalashnikov parts kits include new AND used barrels. They are cut to pieces because they could not be imported otherwise.

Finally, there are loop-holes: Current "Russian" AK-47s are imported as "sporting rifles" such as the Siaga or VEPR - then converted here. The barrel in that case is considered part of an importable gun instead of a banned Kalashnikov barrel. The first Sig 556 barrels were "manufactured" here using nearly complete blanks. The Romanian "WASR" rifles are imported as 10-shot only "sporter" rifles; after they arrive, the magazine well is opened up.

This is not cheating - it is actually following the letter of the import law. BTW - Glock uses similar loop holes by importing many models with adjustable "target sights" - only to remove them after they arrive here.

Thanks for the explanation.

plouffedaddy
05-02-13, 20:47

I've been on many tours there :D They make the FNS pistols and the MK19s there as well. You can watch all of them being made and if you're a .mil guy you can purchase a gun as it comes off the line :)

Caduceus
05-02-13, 20:50
I've been on many tours there :D They make the FNS pistols and the MK19s there as well. You can watch all of them being made and if you're a .mil guy you can purchase a gun as it comes off the line :)

I move to SC this summer. I just found out a "tourist destination" I'm going to have to visit!

WWhunter
05-04-13, 23:41

If you can get a tour by all means do it!! Also bring a set of ear protection. Those machines are just a tiny bit noisy!! :rolleyes:

A little OT here but, I toured the Heym factory while Germany and watched barrels being made. It was a very interesting process. The initial barrel metal literally grows in length and gets very hot from the fast turning rotary hammers. The craftsmanship and work that goes into these rifles warrants their cost.
Still kicking myself for not buying that fancy Double rifle they had on display.

sinlessorrow
05-05-13, 17:35

FN barrels are made by FN USA, DD barrels are made by DD in USA. Both have their own CHF machines.

VIP3R 237
05-05-13, 23:02
FN barrels are made by FN USA, DD barrels are made by DD in USA. Both have their own CHF machines.

And IIRC FN makes BCM's barrels.