PDA

View Full Version : Buying an AR from a private party online

HeliPilot
04-30-13, 08:53
I have found a deal I'm very interested in posted on armslist.com, what is the best way to conduct a purchase online with a private seller? We are located in the same state and I'm trying to set up a face to face transaction but if this is not possible what are some do's and dont's if buying online? Is there a foolproof no scam method? I obviously don't want to be ripped off so what's the best way to do this? Thanks for the help

officerX
04-30-13, 08:54
If you can't meet FTF, I suggest paying with Paypal (not as a gift). That way if you get ripped off you can file a claim and get your money back. But FTF is definitely best.

polymorpheous
04-30-13, 08:57
If you can't meet FTF, I suggest paying with Paypal (not as a gift). That way if you get ripped off you can file a claim and get your money back. But FTF is definitely best.

Paypal is anti-gun.
They will shut both accounts down.

Try to do a FTF if possible.

04-30-13, 09:21
I like to use USPS MO's. Scamming when being paid by USPS MO breaks several federal laws with nice possible fed. jail time. I've never had to threaten with this, but figure would deter most once informed of the poss. severe consequences.

Hapworth
04-30-13, 09:40
Your best option is a FTF in a safe, populated, security controlled environment where you can inspect the gun closely. A firing range is ideal, with the range owner's permission.

If ultimately you can't do FTF but the seller is equipped to receive credit card payments, go that route because it's the easiest way to dispute the charge if necessary and recoup your loss.

Next best would be USPS money order for reasons already stated by 6933.

Finally, requiring that the seller send through his FFL to your FFL adds extra levels of protection that you're actually receiving the agreed upon item.

A lot of people purchase this way with no problems, but a lot of people get scammed, too. It's why many of us stick with brick-and-mortar or online retailers, and gun shows.

Good luck.

mrvco
04-30-13, 11:17
I'd pass on anything but a FTF transaction when using Armslist. I'd classify any deal good enough to justify the risk as too good to be true.

Iraqgunz
04-30-13, 11:50
Always try and do FTF if possible. Find somewhere public and gun friendly. We do a lot here at Cabelas and Bass Pro. If you use PayPal as was suggested and there is a issue and you have to claim it they will lock the account as soon as they hear firearms and then you are screwed twice.

officerX
04-30-13, 16:20
Paypal is anti-gun.
They will shut both accounts down.

Try to do a FTF if possible.

My brother-in-law just bought a G27 from a guy and paid with Paypal and no accounts were shut down.

polymorpheous
04-30-13, 16:25
My brother-in-law just bought a G27 from a guy and paid with Paypal and no accounts were shut down.

Good for him. I've done the same.
Doesn't mean they won't catch them all.
If they catch wind of a transaction pertaining to firearms, they will close the account.

I've always made discreet purchases through Paypal.

RearwardAssist
04-30-13, 16:26

Read their terms of service agreements it is clearly stated.

Quentin
04-30-13, 16:34

Well that's because Paypal thought it was Tupperware! :p

Moltke
04-30-13, 16:35
Screw Paypal and their anti-gun sentiments.

rocket 442
04-30-13, 16:49
Be wary of armslist. I found a NIB Troy carbine for 1200.00 in Texas , got ahold of seller & he said his wife died that morning + he's in a wheelchair. I told him I was sorry for his loss & I'd contact him in a few days.2 days later he says he's in Jax,Fl & he has rifle with him. Tells me to send m/o to his brother & gives me bro's info. Brother has different last name & address was in same trailer park but different lot #(yes I googled bros name). Guy text me constantly after I told him when I'd send funds!! Scam!!!2nd time guy listed a spikes stripped upper & wanted payment by moneygram, sent funds on a tues.Said he'd pick funds up Wednesday. Friday rolls around & I call moneygram to see if money was picked up, no it wasn't. Rep from moneygram told me to stop payment & get my funds back cause if he picks up cash & didn't sent upper I was ****ed!Moneygram wouldn't be liable or do shit!

Iraqgunz
04-30-13, 16:51
Awesome. I had my account locked and so have many others due to the fact that firearms were mentioned in transactions. There are so many transactions that slip under the radar, but once it comes to light.........

M_Rapp
04-30-13, 16:57
Is there a gun friendly alternative to PayPal? Some banks allow you to transfer money to another individual, but not sure the protection level is there like a standard PayPal transaction. ??

eodcolret
04-30-13, 17:02
Use PistolPay. It is a new service and they hold the money versus sending to the seller. Once buyer confirms receipt they release the funds. Used it recently as part of the Tavor GB. Not a lot of people know about them.

M_Rapp
04-30-13, 17:32
Use PistolPay. It is a new service and they hold the money versus sending to the seller. Once buyer confirms receipt they release the funds. Used it recently as part of the Tavor GB. Not a lot of people know about them.
Interesting... Combine that with a signature required shipping method and you are in pretty good shape...

Palmguy
04-30-13, 17:51

Yeah, people use PP for gun stuff all the time. But if you put "Payment for Glock 27" in the transaction notes, you are seriously running the risk of getting your account closed.

Happened to me when some jackass who bought something from me put what it was in the notes.

RearwardAssist
04-30-13, 17:52
Yeah, people use PP for gun stuff all the time. But if you put "Payment for Glock 27" in the transaction notes, you are seriously running the risk of getting your account closed.

Happened to me when some jackass who bought something from me put what it was in the notes.

Even if they don't put something stupid in the memo you are aborogating your protection to some degree when you use to purchase a firearm.

Palmguy
04-30-13, 18:03
Even if they don't put something stupid in the memo you are aborogating your protection to some degree when you use to purchase a firearm.

True.

RHINOWSO
04-30-13, 18:28
PayPal is able to associate Internet listings that have the word PayPal in them with account transactions, or even just the adds themselves that mention firearms or high capacity magazines.

Happened to me twice. Slap on the hand, say you'll be a good boy first time. Account shut down the second time.

_Stormin_
04-30-13, 20:34
I've just been using QuickPay for everything. Bank walked me through the setup and it allows me to send or request money with just an email. Pretty handy for moving funds and free.

(Though either the sender or recipient has to have Chase, but they seem to be everywhere.)

Suwannee Tim
04-30-13, 20:44
Back to the OQ. Does the seller have good feedback? If yes you have a good basis to trust him. Payment is by any method mutually acceptable but no PayPal. If no you are taking a risk. I have bought a number of guns from individuals off Gunbroker and have not had a problem. The only time I ever bought a gun from a seller with no feedback he lived in my city and I laid eyeballs on the gun before I paid. Unfortunately I have to wait six months for the tax stamp.:(

JBecker 72
04-30-13, 20:45

If you have a problem with the seller, and you used paypal for the item, when they find out the sale was for a firearm, they will not do anything to help you as you and the other party violated PayPal's terms of service agreement.

officerX
04-30-13, 22:30

True, I agree with that. I guess I assumed (I know what happens when you assume) neither one of them would be dumb enough to do that.

jpmuscle
05-01-13, 00:11
Just throwing this out there but something else to think about nowadays ..

http://www.thebrennerbrief.com/2013/04/18/fox31-hidden-camera-crew-on-armslist/