PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Media Player question...

Straight Shooter
04-30-13, 20:30
Gents-
Since Im in NO way computer savy...Im at a loss on this. Been trying for two hours now on my own.
Ok...in Media Player, Im trying to organize all my music, by artists, under one title for each artist.
Example: Lets use a favorite band of mine, .38 Special. Over the years Ive uploaded their songs from several different sources,multiple CD's, internet, ect. Now, Ive got songs from them all over my player, under not only .38 Special, but like Greatest Hits of the Eighties, SuperGroups of the Seventies, ect.
Used to be, on my previous old computer using XD, I could go under
ADVANCED TAG EDITOR....type in group name on one line, song title on another, then BAM,all the .38 Special would be under one headline. So, where is the equivalent of ADVANCED TAG EDITOR on
Windows 7 Media Player? I don't want to have to keep scrolling up/down all over the place to get all of one groups music.
Hope Ive been clear. ANY help greatly appreciated.

Belmont31R
04-30-13, 21:07
Where is your music sourced from? Meaning DRM'd?

A lot of people use iTunes even if they don't have an iPhone or iPad or iPod. If you don't use one of those you won't even see anything about any of those devices.

If you have a lot of lower quality MP3's you can get a 1 year 1 time subscription to iTunes Match, and they will replace all of your lower quality music with higher quality AAC versions. This will also create a catalog of all your music (everything....you don't have to buy any music from iTunes) which is like a cloud backup of your music. So if you have a failure, and didn't backup to anything else you can download everything again on a different (or fixed) PC. If iTunes Match doesn't have a particular song they upload it to their servers and you can redownload it at any time.

Just for clarity you can use iTunes WITHOUT having to have an Apple device, and iTunes itself is free. iTunes Match is an extra 'add-on' that IIRC is like $25 a year, and allows you to get higher quality tracks. If the version you already have is better than what they have it will keep your current version. If you decide to go that route you can PM or email me and Ill help you out to get everything squared away.

There are other music managers out there besides iTunes but WMP is terrible. There is Google Music but its more of a web based player not so much local.

And create a backup no matter what...!

http://youtu.be/B0Jj6OoRa18

http://youtu.be/soKjGIPXzWE

Voodoochild
04-30-13, 21:10
Bad news is it was removed. Why I don't know but there is the answer. Try using a different player like VLC.

Belmont31R
04-30-13, 21:13
Bad news is it was removed. Why I don't know but there is the answer. Try using a different player like VLC.

I don't really think VLC catologs music...just plays it. You'd have to create a whole file system in Windows Explorer and go back and forth like an idiot between folders and select individual tracks.

WMP is actually an add on cost in W8. :eek:

Straight Shooter
04-30-13, 21:32
Thanks gents-
It being removed is the answer that helps, now I can stop fooling with it, wondering why I cant find it.
As to using other ways to do this....Im going to have to wait until my pooter guru comes over.
Thanks for your time!!
Thank you, Belmont31R for your generous offer of help, btw.

Jer
04-30-13, 23:40
Gents-
Since Im in NO way computer savy...Im at a loss on this. Been trying for two hours now on my own.
Ok...in Media Player, Im trying to organize all my music, by artists, under one title for each artist.
Example: Lets use a favorite band of mine, .38 Special. Over the years Ive uploaded their songs from several different sources,multiple CD's, internet, ect. Now, Ive got songs from them all over my player, under not only .38 Special, but like Greatest Hits of the Eighties, SuperGroups of the Seventies, ect.
Used to be, on my previous old computer using XD, I could go under
ADVANCED TAG EDITOR....type in group name on one line, song title on another, then BAM,all the .38 Special would be under one headline. So, where is the equivalent of ADVANCED TAG EDITOR on
Windows 7 Media Player? I don't want to have to keep scrolling up/down all over the place to get all of one groups music.
Hope Ive been clear. ANY help greatly appreciated.

Try Google Music out. You can sort by all sorts of things, album, genre, artist, etc. It's free and if you have an Android mobile device it's amazing. Like cloud for all of your music files for free. This means you can upload all of your music to Google Music (I think up to 20,000 songs) and then you can set up playlists or edit items and it will save everything under one account. Sign into your Google account from any PC and Bam! There's all your tunes, playlists and everything. If you have an Android device it's baked right in. Once you sign into your Google account on your new Android device there's your ENTIRE music collection w/o taking up any space on your phone.