PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo Pro I-dot problems (update)

RCI1911
05-01-13, 08:29
I've had two of these fail now. After about 1000 rounds, each one gave up the ghost. The color ring around the tritium fell out both times due to recoil. One was on a FS M&P9 and the other was a M&P9c. Both front sights were bought at the same time from the same dealer. I talked to Ameriglo and they said that they did have some issues with a couple of batches and that this is a known problem. I'm suprised that I haven't seen anyone else on here say anything about this issue. Am I the only "lucky one" or have others had this issue as well? Anyways, just wanted to make others aware that there is an issue with some of these sights. Mine were purchased early 2012 for reference.

PD Sgt.
05-01-13, 09:39
I have not heard about this before, and I have 3 sets, 1 G19, 1G34, and 1 M&P .45c, all purchased in 2012, all yellow/green ring. So far all mine have been fine, though the dovetail on the front sight was way too large and Ameriglo sent me a replacement.

Curious, which color was yours, red or yellow/green? Did Ameriglo say if it was one color or the other, or both that were affected?

CoryCop25
05-01-13, 09:59
This does happen but is not very common. If you do not know, those color "rings" are hand painted with an epoxy type paint. I am 110% sure Ameriglo will make good on your issue.

JSantoro
05-01-13, 10:01
You're not alone. I had the same thing happen to the front of a set of SW-201s within 700 rounds of installation; orange ring decided to....depart.

Originally bought in April 2012. Ameriglo was Johnny-on-the-spot about replacing the whole set, so no gripes there.

....until about 1000 rounds later, when the rear sight simply sheared off right at the rearmost of the rear dovetail, on the last round of the last string of the day. I'd done one-handed manipulations using the rear sight to pull/release the slide maybe all of 6 times in that time-frame (the 10-8 Standards sequence calls for that), but there was no way in hell that I'd abused it to the point one could reasonably expect material failure.

If I end up wanting another I-Dot Pro type setup, I'll get the Trijicon version. There seems to be something soft about the Ameriglo material, though I could admittedly just have gotten two less-than-stellar sets in a row.

Problems with sight fitment are pretty likely to be S&Ws inconsistency with cutting their dovetails, though that's certainly not exclusive. I'm always hearing armorers gripe about that, and 10-8 specifically states that their M&P sights are posessed of oversized dovetail material for this reason.

RCI1911
05-01-13, 10:07
I am 110% sure Ameriglo will make good on your issue.

Yes, they said it will be covered under warranty. That is not an issue. Very quick to answer the phone and very helpful which is a plus these days.

Voodoo_Man
05-01-13, 10:08
I do believe I posted in the glock pix thread or something like that.

Had the rear sights break and becomd loose, had front sight wobble itself loose and could not take a screw, had the orange ring fall off twice. None of this was user error since I had another pair on another glock which had, and still has, no issues.

RCI1911
05-01-13, 10:09
If I end up wanting another I-Dot Pro type setup, I'll get the Trijicon version. There seems to be something soft about the Ameriglo material, though I could admittedly just have gotten two less-than-stellar sets in a row.

I'll get the replacement parts and install them for now and see how they work, but I'm with you on this one. Not impressive considering these are on my CCW and home gun. At least I have 10-8 Performance rear sights so that is not an issue.

RCI1911
05-01-13, 10:10
Curious, which color was yours, red or yellow/green? Did Ameriglo say if it was one color or the other, or both that were affected?

Mine were orange. Ameriglo did not state that it was color specific.

Nephrology
05-01-13, 10:28
I had a tritium vial on my Ameriglo Hacks go dead recently, but the Luminova paint has been good on my guns for collectively a few thousand rounds per gun each, at least.

RogerinTPA
05-01-13, 10:42
I've had the good fortune of having very good results with these sights. My primary training pistol (M&P9) has around 20K+ rounds on it, 6K with these sights. I swapped from 2 sets of 10-8 sights where the tritium vial fell out of the front site with less than 300 rounds on both my M&P9 and 40.

tx1021
05-01-13, 16:41
I also had their "Hack" front sight fail after only about 600rnds on my fullsize M&P9.

Ameriglo got me a new one quickly and without any hassle but I am still a bit reluctant to put it back on the pistol, hoping to see more people chime in with their experiences.

cathellsk
05-01-13, 22:28
I've got sets on a Gen4 17 & 19 with just shy of 1k rds through each with no issues so far. They previously had different sights so the round count isn't there yet. I've never had issues with Ameriglo sights but do know they have excellent customer service. I wanted to stick with Heinies but my eyesight being what it is since hitting 40 has me preferring these pro glos or Trijicon HDs.

ST911
05-01-13, 22:49
I have some sets of I-dot pros, spring 2013 manufacture. No problems to date in handling, shooting, and cleaning. I am pleased with them thus far. Comms with Ameriglo have been good, and they are responsive to requests for info.

JimmyB62
05-02-13, 11:27
I have two fronts that the painted ring came out of. I'm dealing with Rick at Ameriglo currently and it's being handled well. He did say that there was an issue with some new installation/adhesion process that they've since rectified. He didn't give me the "we've not heard of that problem before speech.........."

One ring fell out at about 200rnds. But the other lasted about 2k.

Pappabear
05-02-13, 16:43
This is down right scary. I just bought two pair for my Shield and my 4.25 MNP. We shall see. :confused:

SOT364
05-03-13, 23:51
I have debated on posting this, but I feel that the community has a need to know of these experiences.

Over the last year I have purchased 4 sets of Ameriglo sights. They were 1-CAP green/green, 2-Pro Operator with Pro Glo green tritium and lime green glow in the dark circle outline around tritium, and 1 set of Pro Operator 3 dot green tritium. I have had the following problems with them:

CAP rear – glow in the dark paint insert flew off sight while practicing at the range

Front Tritium with lime green glow in the dark outline – tritium vile leaked

Front Tritium with lime green glow in the dark outline – glow in the dark paint insert flew off sight while practicing at the range

Pro Operator Rear - 2nd day of an Adv. Firearms Inst. Class the sight became loose in channel. Sight would move side to side under recoil and could be moved with very slight finger pressure.

I contacted Ameriglo and advised them of the situation. They told me to send them the defective sights and they would replace them. I can appreciate the need for this, but it put me at a disadvantage as the sights were on my duty gun/s (that I personally supply). So, I had to round up new sights to replace them with.

When I was able to get replacements purchased I sent off the 4 defective sights (2 front and 2 rear). I included a letter explaining the problem, explaining that I was out of pocket for new sights, and requesting a monetary refund. I did, however, tell them if they had to replace them with sights I would understand.

Now at this point I need to advise I am a multiple graduate of Glock's factory calender of courses over the last 12 years, and an Advanced Armorer. I have installed hundreds of sights on Glocks. I installed all of these with a gun specific sight push and front sight tool. Adhesive was applied in the form of either loctite or clear fingernail polish. The failures all resulted in under 500 rounds each. Also, the Glock with the loose rear sight previously had a Glock night sight installed that did not come loose. A Glock rear night sight has replaced the defective Ameriglo, and it too has not loosened.

About a week after I sent the 4 defective sights back I received a package in the mail. Inside contained 2 new sets of Operator 3 dot tritium sights, and 2-10 packs of Ameriglo glow sticks. My issue with this is that these were not the same model sights as I had sent in to them. At this point I decided to cut my loses and sell the replacement (NIB) sights at a loss of money to me, and to write another letter to the company expressing my displeasure.

I decided that while I had some bad experiences within a short time frame with multiple different sights, I would give them one last chance. My intent was to actually use the 2 sets of Operators, even though they are not what I sent in to be replaced. Imagine my surprise when not one, but both of the new front sights will not properly fit in the slide. They are loose and wiggle side to side even when the screw is fully entrenched. So, not only did I not get what I sent in back, but I got some more defective sights (6 different issues now).

You see I really like the speed and accuracy of some of the Ameriglo models. It has been my custom to recommend Ameriglo sights to many people over the years and I have probably sold a good many for them based off of word of mouth. In the past, I have always been impressed with their customer service. I had a Hackathorn front that blew it's tritium several years ago and called the company. No questions were asked and they shipped me a new front sight free of charge, without asking to see the defective one.

I intended on writing the company back and returning the new defective sights. At this point I can not and will not recommend Ameriglo sights to anyone who would use them for self defense or duty related work. They are simply not durable or reliable enough for serious purposes, and the customer service is severely lacking.

Buyer Beware,

A very dissatisfied customer......

ericl
05-04-13, 00:18
Thank you for sharing your experience with Ameriglo. I was considering some of the Hackethorn sights for a new G19. I have always used Warren, 10-8, or Heinie sights in the past with nothing but great things to say about those three companies. As far as Ameriglo, I had never considered them on the same quality level as the previously mentioned three companies. Recently, after seeing the TACTV episode about Glock modifications, I reconsidered this opinion. With guys like Mr. Hackethorn and Super Dave using/endorsing such sights, I thought, how could they be anything less than stellar? You mentioned your great experiences in the past with Ameriglo and that you previously recommended them to others. Do you see this as a isolated incident (although multiple sight sets were out of spec)? I have been completely turned off by a product/brand due to isolated incidents with them (sometimes based on principle, sometimes lack of trust), so I would completely understand that. Or do you see this as Ameriglo having fallen off in the QC department as they have expanded their product line to so many different models (.....Sigarms issues anyone?) Either, way, thanks again for sharing your experience.

SOT364
05-04-13, 00:30
You are welcome. My only conclusion is that there are now so many different models QC appears to be suffering. I went on their site before i posted this to make sure I had the exact name/description and see they now have another new set of sight added to their lineup since just last week (when I went to get the shipping address).

It seems that many, many companies (previously top of the line) are now having multiple issues almost across the board. My guess is that with the political climate being the way it is, and the number of recent firearms related purposes; companies are pushing the limits to get product on the market. This of course will result in QC issues, even if they do their honest best to avoid them.

The long time customer of the company wants to truly believe it is an isolated incident, but the practical investigator in me says it is lacking QC. I sincerely hope they resolve any durability issues post haste, due to the innovative design of some of their products.

However, once I have lost confidence in life saving equipment it is very hard for it to be regained. I will now have to explore other options for sights. I do like and have use/d Warren, Hienie, Trijicon, 10-8, Novak, and some custom designs as well.

xjustintimex
05-04-13, 01:19
I have over 10 sets of various Amerigo sights and they have all been stellar. I only have the cap rears on two of my pistols, but they seem to be very durable. Im not doubting your experience btw.

kantstudien
05-04-13, 02:05
My Ameriglos from 8+ years ago were the best night sights available at the time.

In this day and age with Trijicon HDs and 10-8 sights, I can only ask "why" especially now with this QC issue.

Thanks for the insight

CoryCop25
05-04-13, 05:13
I have 9 sets of Ameriglo sights on various handguns that I own. All of them have the Pro Glo front sight with orange insert. I have also installed these on many other pistols. I have never had a single issue with any of the sights.
I know for a fact that if you apply too much thread locker on the screw for the front sight, it will push the tritium vial out of the sight. Always put a small drop on the screw and then install the sight and stake the screw. As far as the loose front sight on the Glock, it is the pistol not the sight. Out of the 9 sets of sights I own, 7 of them are on Glock pistols. The holes drilled for the front sights are not all the same. Some were a tad loose and some I had to tap in with a hammer with a plastic head. I have used a micrometer to confirm this.
Ameriglo had a run of front sights that had an issue with the painting process for the color inserts. These color rings are hand painted with an epoxy based paint. That problem has been rectified. Amreiglo's customer service has been more than top notch. I snapped off a screw in one of their front sights and called them to order a new one. They replaced the front sight for free and told me to keep the sight with the broken screw in it.
The only negatives I can think of concerning Ameriglo are that they should have a set screw in their rear sights and that they have a line of Rob Pinkus sights.

Up1911fan
05-04-13, 07:51
I have Ameriglo Defoor's on all my Glock's. Lucky for me there's nothing to fall out.

samuse
05-04-13, 10:19
I have Ameriglo Defoor's on all my Glock's. Lucky for me there's nothing to fall out.

Same here,I love the DeFoors but I did have one rear get loose somehow.

SiGfever
05-04-13, 11:05
I have the ProGlo "orange" front and "Yellow" Pro Operator rear on my G19 Gen 3 and have had no problem with them. I really like the contrast at night for quick sight acquisition. When I purchased them I had ordered green/green and they shipped the green/yellow by mistake (which now I am very glad they did, best combo I have used). I called them and they said they were sorry and I could have the green/green shipped right out n/c. I told them I was surprisingly happy with the green/yellow combination and that I would keep them, just wanted to let them know about the shipping error. They then asked if I had another pistol that needed sights, I told them I had an M&P 40c that was in need of sights, they sent me a set of Bowie Tactical sights free of charge for it. I was amazed at the level the customer service went to make the situation not only right, but up and beyond their responsibility. Customer service like this should be applauded.

Sensei
05-04-13, 12:05
I've put about 60,000 rounds through Ameriglo (most with red HD front Pro) over the past 2 years. No problems from my end.

Nephrology
05-04-13, 14:35
I've had a vial break on one of my Hacks and had the tritiums on my I dot rear sight drilled *slightly* off center, but that's about it. I guess they rust kind of easy. but I've been satisfied with their CS so far and I have had a pair of hackathorns on my other glocks for many thousands of rounds now with no issue.

RCI1911
05-04-13, 14:38
I had the color ring fall out on two sets of Pro I-Dots. I've been hearing way too may problems with their sights recently to feel good about having them on my guns.

foxtrotx1
05-04-13, 14:43
I have had 2 sets of the pro-operators with no issues other than a thin finish.

Psalms144.1
05-04-13, 15:10
I had two early PRO-GLO front sights that would rust if you looked at them funny - I mean, EVERY night, had to wipe surface rust off them and re-apply oil.

Contacted Ameriglo, and they were initially hesitant to send replacements until I sent them digital photos showing the problem in situ; at which point they sent two new sets quickly.

Haven't had any issues with recent production (CAP) sights.

I'm not wedded to the brand by any stretch, though I think they offer a very good value for the price. I'd switch to Trijicon HDs, but they look VERY tall, which I don't care for, and they're pretty spendy.

I love the 10-8s build, serrated rear, and U-notch; but they have the same problem (being tall), and I prefer some kind of tritium rear, which is exorbitantly expensive for these.

I've tried Heinies, but can't find a sight picture that I like, especially at that price point. I haven't given the Warrens much of a run, maybe that will be my next try if I have a problem with my current Ameriglos...

Regards,

Kevin

RCI1911
05-09-13, 11:51
Not overly impressed with Ameriglo right now even though I understand their policy. First off I will give them credit that they are easy to ge a hold of and are planning on replacing my sights under warranty. However, the first time I talked to them they said that they would ship me out a new pair of sights when they become available along with a prepaid return lable to send the old sights back in. All is well. The next day however I get a call back with the rep saying that she spoke to her boss and that I need to return the front sights first and then they will send me out the new sights. While I understand this policy and why they do it, I don't understand why I'm told one thing one day and the next day another. Also, I'm left without my ccw and my home gun during all of this (really getting bit in the butt with my M&P9c with the old two is one, one is none mantra!). Also, apparently I'm out of pocket shipping the sights to them since they did not send me or offer to send me a prepaid return lable. Plus I'm out the cost of 'smith services because of their defective product. I will update again when I actually get the sights shipped out and the new ones returned. Not even sure if I want to put them back on my guns.

straterman
05-09-13, 22:54
Oh shit man I love my I dot pro I really hope thy dont fall apart. I only have a few hundred throuhgh them but man are they sweeet

Pappabear
05-09-13, 23:40
I have two sets, one on a G19 and one on a G21, no issues. I have not run these guns hard, but they range time.

I took my two new sets for my M&P's to my gunsmith. After initially trying to replace these home brew style, couldn't get them in. The Riflesmith took out a dovetail bit and removed 3/1000's and tried to instal , too tight, took two more thowy- tapped them in with reasonable pressure. All sights required 5/1000 removed for my pistols. His work is impeccable, just a genius in a garage in everything I've seen him do.

It begs the question, who installed all these defective sights? And were they beaten and compromised their integrity. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just can't imagine everyone has a huge Lathe and a dovetail bit and performs these installs with finesse.

Did you stress your sight, or did your " gunsmith"? Leading to issues. Maybe they should be able to take it, just makes me wonder. I'm not pointing fingers , just curious.

RCI1911
05-10-13, 06:02
Pappabear, you have some valid points in your post, but Ameriglo did say that this was a known problem and that they have changed their process and the materials they use so I think the major issue is with the sight itself.

Pappabear
05-10-13, 10:44
Pappabear, you have some valid points in your post, but Ameriglo did say that this was a known problem and that they have changed their process and the materials they use so I think the major issue is with the sight itself.

Good point as well, maybe they are making them to big, and would be well served to make them 2/1000 larger instead of 5/1000. I was curious if the size was consistent with all M&P dove tails. Like how perfectly consistent is M&P in their cut? It's all part of a interesting question about replacement sights in general.

For example, I had Heine put my sights on my H&K guns- perfection of course. But a guy at Caswells beat the **** out of some sights to get in my FNP45. They are all dented and jacked up. I couldn't believe it when he gave me my gun back- in ten minutes. After I watched The Riflesmith do it like it should be done (I guess) , I wondered how everyone else did it. Could they just tap theirs in with no problem? Did they hand file it down? Did they have a dove tail drill bit and open up the sight to perfection? This entire experience just made me wonder?

How do most people instal their night Sights? Ameriglow might have a known problem because everyone has to beat the shit out of them to get them in! And they need to make them smaller?

So, how did you guys instal them? Just curious.