PDA

View Full Version : Russian AK Documentary

7.62WildBill
05-01-13, 21:00
Came across this on another forum, and thought it was worth the 26 minutes to watch. Some good footage, and interesting view from the Russian perspective. However, I do not think anyone will be impressed by the training footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IPF5IyN3BJs

M995
05-01-13, 21:42
In the video at around 3:15, Kalashnikov said he took time to make every part more suitable for mass production. But it was Izhmash engineer Mikhail Miller who simplified the machining process with the Type 3 AK-47 b/c the Soviets couldn't mass produce the Type 1 AK-47 at the time and the Type 2 was expensive to manufacture and wasted materials since "in over 120 operations a 2.65 kg block of steel was reduced to only 650 gm." Miller refined the AK with the stamping technology for the production of the AKM. Wonder why the Russian film didn't mention Miller. I'm just wondering if people know how much of late WW2 Germany's stamping technology the Russians borrowed for the AKM?

MountainRaven
05-01-13, 21:59
Neat.

I love the whole "the Americans had to suck up their pride" part about the Saiga-12. Like our military doesn't use weapons designed and made in other countries (Belgian machine guns, Italian shotguns and handguns). Like the most popular handguns for LE in this country weren't designed and made in Germany and Austria (and designed but not made in Switzerland).

Too bad they forgot that the Finns found it necessary to improve it before they adopted it.

(Oh crap, there's that Valmet-thing again.)

Garys4598
05-04-13, 12:03
. . . Too bad they forgot that the Finns found it necessary to improve it before they adopted it.

(Oh crap, there's that Valmet-thing again.)

As did the Israelis. (Oh crap, there's that Galil thing as well.)

Jippo
05-04-13, 12:54
As did the Israelis. (Oh crap, there's that Galil thing as well.)

Well they copied/licensed the Valmet. The improvements they made on the Valmet are superficial fads with no real contents or use. By mere accident Finns independently made the same changes to new model RK's. Totally independent of the puny Israelites.

Delemus
05-07-13, 19:36
Good find! Being a AK fan it was worth the time to watch......