PDA

View Full Version : Trail Pack Knife

aaron_c
05-02-13, 21:15
Hey guys, I've been getting back into 'trail running' and hiking a lot lately, along with mountian biking when I get some money saved up for a bike. Now, I've been lost in the woods for about 13 hours before with nothing but a friend and a pocket knife...and don't want to have THAT feeling ever again.

My pack is a Camelbak Mule, and what I'm thinking right now is that I could put a Becker BK7 and maybe a BK14 in it pretty easily. Part of me says that's overkill and unnecessary weight, when I could go with something in the 4-6" range like one of the Ranger RD series knives or something. What do you guys think would be the ideal balance between capability and weight, in a pack that primarily is a 'just in case' pack + hydration pack? Other items I plan to include are energy bars, a roll of TP, small first aid kit, some paracord, a multitool, etc.

Up1911fan
05-02-13, 22:53
ESEE 3 or 4.

HighDesert
05-02-13, 23:13
ESEE 3 or 4.

Read my mind!

dirt_diver
05-03-13, 00:17
My ESEE 4 has been great for me so far. It seems like a good fit for your particular needs.

aaron_c
05-03-13, 07:32
Awesome, thanks for the input! The Esee 4 would be able to handle some light batoning and such I'm sure, in case I got stuck out overnight. Now I'll probably end up with an Izula as well instead of the BK14, may as well keep it uniform!

I assume the 1095 carbon blade is the way to go, right?

yellow50
05-03-13, 07:46
Sounds like some good recommendations for the knife. I would toss a lighter and/or matches and some tinder in the camel back.

aaron_c
05-03-13, 08:46
Yeah, I was thinking I'd get a Zippo or something and a flint rod as well. Cheap, light weight insurance in case a lighter won't work.

The_Count
05-03-13, 08:57
Honestly, I would look at an Eriksson #510 Mora. Good steel, super sharp, and super light. It will do everything you need to do. Does it look super cool, it does to me. Best of all it can be found for $10-15.

Chip

Up1911fan
05-03-13, 10:12
Awesome, thanks for the input! The Esee 4 would be able to handle some light batoning and such I'm sure, in case I got stuck out overnight. Now I'll probably end up with an Izula as well instead of the BK14, may as well keep it uniform!

I assume the 1095 carbon blade is the way to go, right?

The Izula is a great little blade, I EDC one daily.

DTHN2LGS
05-03-13, 13:01
ESEE 4.

jstalford
05-03-13, 13:08
ESEE 3 or 4 or a SYCO 311 or 411.

Chumly
05-03-13, 13:21
I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said...

ESEE 3/4 or one of the Izula Models. Or a Kabar BK14 Eskabar

CCK
05-03-13, 15:01
get a mora.

fotomaker57
05-05-13, 17:45
Becker BK14. It will do anything you need in a short term survival situation.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/LEATHER%20WORK/BK14NECKKNIFE.jpg

Chuck_B
05-05-13, 17:53
Love my ESEE 3. Perfect size/weight. I keep it in my Camelback when mountain biking. You cant go wrong with that knife for the price.

mayonaise
05-05-13, 18:19
Personally I prefer the quality and value priced knives from Blind Horse. I have several and it's hard to be the value.

http://www.blindhorseknives.com/

SeriousStudent
05-05-13, 18:22
I have three ESEE/RAT-3 knives, but agree with those who suggested a Mora for your case. This one rides in a lot of my packs/gear bags:

http://www.amazon.com/Mora-HighQ-Robust-Knife-Carbon/dp/B00816PZ8W/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

Very light weight, good cutter, and will throw a good spark. You can find this one for under $20 shipped if you look.

aaron_c
05-05-13, 22:08
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I'm going to go with the Esee 4. It's a knife I've been eyeing on and off for a while, and I'd like something that can do double-duty as a camping knife as well. As for the BK14, I'll probably grab an Izula while I'm at it. Been wanting one of those (or the BK14) for a while too!

fotomaker57
05-06-13, 07:41
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I'm going to go with the Esee 4. It's a knife I've been eyeing on and off for a while, and I'd like something that can do double-duty as a camping knife as well. As for the BK14, I'll probably grab an Izula while I'm at it. Been wanting one of those (or the BK14) for a while too!

You won't be disappointed with the ESEE 4. Great knife

Pilot1
05-06-13, 07:57
For trail running, I'd keep it light. The ESEE-3 is a good suggestion, as is the 4. I have both, and like them except for the scales on the 4, which I replaced with TKC custom scales. The BRKT Gunny, or Bravo-1 would be good choices also.

aaron_c
05-09-13, 09:33
Update: I ordered the Izula Survival Kit from knifeworks.com Tuesday night and ended up just driving down to their shop, which is only about 35 minutes away, and picking it up yesterday. The Izula was pretty dull out of the packaging (tore printer paper instead of cutting through it). Planning to work some more with it on my Sharpmaker tonight. Also wrapped it with some bergundy and high-viz neon green paracord.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/photo_zps286daf42.jpg~original

Picked up a brown Delica 4 FFG while I was there as well, and that thing was scary sharp out of the box. Actually felt much sharper than I remember my Endurance 4 FFG feeling when I got it a while back.

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 02:24
Update: I ordered the Izula Survival Kit from knifeworks.com Tuesday night and ended up just driving down to their shop, which is only about 35 minutes away, and picking it up yesterday. The Izula was pretty dull out of the packaging (tore printer paper instead of cutting through it). Planning to work some more with it on my Sharpmaker tonight. Also wrapped it with some bergundy and high-viz neon green paracord.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/photo_zps286daf42.jpg~original

Picked up a brown Delica 4 FFG while I was there as well, and that thing was scary sharp out of the box. Actually felt much sharper than I remember my Endurance 4 FFG feeling when I got it a while back.

Strange that it was dull. I have 2 izulas's and the esee 4. All have been stupid sharp from the factory. Infact this is the first I have heard of an esee edge being anything less than outstanding from the get go

aaron_c
05-12-13, 07:35
Yeah I found it strange as well. The edge felt sharp when running my finger sideways across it, but I usually defer to the paper cut test with 8.5x11 printer paper. After repeated tries at that, all it would manage is to tear and/or bend the paper. In your experience(s), have Izula's come paper-slicing sharp from the factory? It may have also been that the coating on the blade was hanging up on the paper I guess, but even with that, it wasn't as sharp as I want it to be. I haven't had time to work on it with the Sharpmaker any more as planned, but I probably will today. As it sits now, the belly of the blade will slice paper fairly well but if I try it on the flat part of the blade it will start tearing the paper. I also put a new wrap on it that i really like, I'll snap a picture of that and get you guys an update on the sharpness issue. Razors edge from the factory or not, I love this thing!

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 12:42
Yeah I found it strange as well. The edge felt sharp when running my finger sideways across it, but I usually defer to the paper cut test with 8.5x11 printer paper. After repeated tries at that, all it would manage is to tear and/or bend the paper. In your experience(s), have Izula's come paper-slicing sharp from the factory? It may have also been that the coating on the blade was hanging up on the paper I guess, but even with that, it wasn't as sharp as I want it to be. I haven't had time to work on it with the Sharpmaker any more as planned, but I probably will today. As it sits now, the belly of the blade will slice paper fairly well but if I try it on the flat part of the blade it will start tearing the paper. I also put a new wrap on it that i really like, I'll snap a picture of that and get you guys an update on the sharpness issue. Razors edge from the factory or not, I love this thing!

Yes, the very much so have. Curve cuts/wavy cuts, hair thin cuts, all no problem at all. Also they all three easily shave hair. Even the number 4, and it has a very thick blade. Only thing about the 4, is to get optimal hair shaving I have to bring it up at a slightly higher angle due to the thickness of the blade

SeriousStudent
05-12-13, 12:55
Nice work on the cord wrap, and I definitely agree with you on the Sharpmaker. They make it very easy to work up a good edge.

My Izula purchased about six months ago was in the same condition. Sharp, but not a paper-cutter from the factory. Maybe the same batch?

JackFanToM
05-12-13, 15:47
Another good Knife to look into is the GSO series by survive knives...good steel, they will definitely by sharp outta the box, and they are comparable in size to ESEE/RD series. Mora is another good option, and Grizzly Outdoors makes a nice sheath set up that has a LED knife and firesteel built in for Moras.

bleaman225
05-12-13, 21:05
Personally I prefer the quality and value priced knives from Blind Horse. I have several and it's hard to be the value.

+1 for BHK
For a work/task oriented blade, I personally think they are the best out there.

Augustus
06-12-13, 23:07
ESEE 4
Von

Rockhopper
06-12-13, 23:17
benchmade large axis bone collector d2

SW-Shooter
06-13-13, 02:25
I don't follow the usual mindset when it comes to knives, I guess my experiences have molded my mindset.

I carry a blade for survival and a blade for defense. My use is for hiking, camping, since I don't run trails.

For hiking/camping I use the old school Becker BK7 or another BK series. For defense I'll use a fixed blade Karambit, Hissatsu, or a even good defensive folder. Skinning a fish is messy with a fixed blade made for camping.

I've never said "Damn, I wish I would have brought another knife", or "Damn, I wish I wouldn't have brought an extra knife".

JohnnyC
06-13-13, 02:39
For woods use I carry an Esee, Mora, and a GB Small Forest Axe. I can do damn near anything in the woods with that combination.

SW-Shooter
06-13-13, 19:39
For woods use I carry an Esee, Mora, and a GB Small Forest Axe. I can do damn near anything in the woods with that combination.

Exactly, the one knife for every task is a difficult and usually prohibitively expensive item. I'd like to hear about the knives that are the master of all trades, so post em up.

Rockhopper
06-13-13, 20:41
Exactly, the one knife for every task is a difficult and usually prohibitively expensive item. I'd like to hear about the knives that are the master of all trades, so post em up.esee 3, benchmade large axis d2, benchmade 940, strider...there are many knives that are a good do it all knife

reaver22
06-16-13, 10:18
I carry a Esee 5 when I go hiking or when I go camping its always in my bag.

brushy bill
06-16-13, 11:40

Thanks for the link. Never heard of them before, but appears to be good kit.

jondoe297
06-18-13, 10:23
I don't do any trail running, but my hiking knife is a Benchmade 141SBK Nimravus.