PDA

View Full Version : Where To Look During an Incident

WhiskyNiner
05-03-13, 08:47
My question is where to look during a confrontation that has you looking through your sights at what is now a target. Pre-shoot.

I'll preface by saying I have minimal fighting experience and the only pistol training is what I read and my CCW class. It's on my list to get some training, but for now it will have to wait.

After the qualification course where we fired against BG targets rather than the humanoid target, then and since I find myself looking for head shots predominantly. I think this is due to my wanting to watch the eyes of the target for possible clues to coming actions. When I hold sights on the upper chest/triangle I want to bring the sights up with my eyes to watch the face.

Is this a FNG thing? How much scanning, watching eyes, watching triangle, peripheral left/right, and near/far is called for? I'm thinking a lot goes on in the few quick moments between clearing leather and resolution. Do you hold sights on the triangle, evaluate everything, adjust on the triagle, evaluate, etc.?

What would be the most desireable eye movements and points of interest in those few seconds?

Thanks.

specopsscout
05-03-13, 10:00
Hands kill...

glocktogo
05-03-13, 13:46
Yep. "In God we trust, all others, show me your hands!"

Jeff Franz
05-07-13, 07:38
I was taught "whole person, hands, waistline, demeanor, immediate area" when discriminating a target in a recent Applied CQB class. I could imagine that when faced with an actual threat, you most likely would not get past the "hands" assessment before you come to a decision on threat or non-threat.