PDA

View Full Version : 1911 choices

Corse
05-03-13, 19:03
All these threads on custom 1911s and AC's great insites have rekindled my interest in a nice 1911. (I have two olderKimber's already.)

What is the better choice between a stock Colt (either a standard Gov. or Delta Elite) upgraded by their custom shop or a Les Baer UTC. It seems the pricing is about equal.

BigJoe
05-03-13, 19:05
i'm a colt whore, so i say colt, or a custom shop springfield

i'm just not the biggest LB fan but most of their owners love em.

Magic_Salad0892
05-03-13, 19:13
I like Colt.

David Thomas
05-03-13, 19:32
Custom colt over a les baer. But don't kid yourself, the money isn't close. Baer is the cheaper option, and a les baer can be made into something super nice for very little money.

Having said that, throwing Wilson Combat into the equation makes the decision for me much harder. Wilson is making super consistent and functionally perfect 1911s. The only reason to choose a custom colt over a Wilson is for aesthetics.

There are very few things as beautiful as a Colt that has been customized by Jason Burton.

Corse
05-03-13, 19:56
To keep the Colt reasonable, the idea was for the Colt custom shop to do the tactical package. But you are right, it ends up being more then I could get a Baer for.

theJanitor
05-03-13, 21:04
if your Kimbers are from the mid-late 90's, they make good bases for customs. I had one done up, but being the slave to Colt that I am, I had the rollmarks shaved off. It was a superb custom

Army Chief
05-03-13, 21:07
Another Colt whore. If you don't have one, you will always want one. Period.

Baers are very nice guns, but I still see them as more optimized for the bulleye crowd than for the defensive set. They are just incredibly tight, and that makes me slightly (if unjustifiably) nervous.

AC

Nytcrawler93
05-03-13, 21:45
Target guns make me nervous outside of a range. Tolerances and tolerance stacking has to be considered. Using optimal materials in my mind is not the same as closing tolerances. Grouping 1/16" closer is not worth any % reliability loss. Customizing for personal fit, reliability, and strength makes way more sense to me. I am a Colt whore as well. Seems like colt found a nice balance if fit and reliability.

ericl
05-04-13, 00:30
If it is between a customized Colt and a LB (you are dead-set on only those two as choices), go Colt. My closest friend bought the Colt rail gun and had the Novak "The Answer" package done to it. I challenge anyone to find a better duty/defense/combat 1911. I have handled and shot many high dollar customs (including LB) and that Colt is by far the one I would take into harm's way. The overall price will shock you with what you get in return.....very reasonable. However, be prepared to wait for the work to be completed. The timeframe is reasonable for the amount of work to be done, but don't expect it in a month. As far as LB, their reputation speaks for itself. However, I am of the belief they are more of a range/bullseye pistol then one for defense. Something built so tight it takes two men and a strong boy to rack the slide on (when even slightly dirty) is not what I want in a pistol. Wilson is definitely worth a look, and Springfields are great production out-of-the-box options as well.

MoCop
05-04-13, 05:08
I'd go for the Les Baer. I have a custom carry without front cocking serrations and no ambi safety. It is a great gun. Everything is fitted nice and tight (I know, 1911's don't need to be tight) and is very accurate. I went with the LB because I didn't want to wait to have work done to a base gun (In my case, it would have been a SA Mil Spec) and have always liked the Les Baer's. Either way, I don't think you will go wrong. Whatever you prefer.

Army Chief
05-04-13, 08:22
My closest friend bought the Colt rail gun and had the Novak "The Answer" package done to it.

I wouldn't mind having one of those built up for myself. The CRG has appealed to me almost since the moment of its release, and Novak knows his way around a 1911 -- or a BHP, for that matter.

AC

Ranger45
05-04-13, 08:45
Another vote for Colt.

Amp Mangum
05-04-13, 09:39
Go with the Colt. In the world of 1911s nothing scratches the itch like a custom Colt.

Roklok
05-04-13, 11:29
Colt all the way. I like basic stock Colts. The custom stuff never did anything for me.

thekersh86
05-04-13, 12:17
My vote is for the Colt, along with everyone else. I must admit, I have yet to touch my new Colt Series 70 Repro, it is in the possession of Steve Morrison of Mars Armament. A graduation gift to myself, and in a twist of fate I get stationed in Germany while it's being built. So in a few years I'll be able to finally shoot it.

If you're having it customized, I'd go with the Colt.

1oldgrunt
05-04-13, 13:29
sorry couldn't give me a colt,;) well you could then I would put the money towards an Ed Brown.:p

Shop around for a used Brown, :)Wilson or Baer (not a big Baer fan:no: , most are too tight)....... 1911's don't wear out:no: , they wear in!!:cool:

Magic_Salad0892
05-04-13, 15:12
Another Colt whore. If you don't have one, you will always want one. Period.

That's actually kind of how I feel about a Springfield GI.

But I can't justify the purchase, so I'm saving my $700.

Mjolnir
05-04-13, 21:57
I'm not sold in the Colt Rail Gun.

Seeing the reports about cracked frames and whatnot while endurance testing it makes me leery.

Have a good smith properly fit Wilson Bulletproof internals and use a non-Match barrel bushing is probably all you'd need to turn ANY semi-custom gun into a "fighting worthy" pistol if that is the goal.

Of course, dehorning, checkering to taste and whatever mainspring housing fits your mits are ALWAYS part of the project as well as the sights if your choice.

May I add meloniting the slide and frame? Or at a minimum use W DLC. If you can afford it do both.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

David Thomas
05-04-13, 22:05
To keep the Colt reasonable, the idea was for the Colt custom shop to do the tactical package. But you are right, it ends up being more then I could get a Baer for.

I would probably go with a baer over the colt custom shop, as long as you were talking about a five inch gun.

glg20
05-04-13, 22:26
I have both and like the LB better. Better accuracy and overall better feel.

Thunder Ranch Special
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00326.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GLG20/media/DSC00326.jpg.html)

MaceWindu
05-04-13, 23:17
Lots of good 1911's out there...non-Colt, non-Les Baer...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Triggerman/JardineDS7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Triggerman/JardineDS3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Triggerman/JardineDS6.jpg

Mace

Johnny Rico
05-05-13, 01:20
i'm a colt whore, so i say colt, or a custom shop springfield

i'm just not the biggest LB fan but most of their owners love em.

That is an excellent suggestion. Those guns are made by the same smiths who build the Springfield Professional, AKA the FBI gun.

Corse
05-05-13, 07:43
Lots of good 1911's out there...non-Colt, non-Les Baer...

Mace

I know, but the price can quickly get out of control with some and others are impossible to find.

IZinterrogator
05-05-13, 11:07
My preference is a Colt Series 70 Reproduction if you're going to have some custom work done. I consider it to be the perfect base pistol for a custom gun.

wetidlerjr
05-05-13, 13:03
Colt...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/CC_1991ORM010412.jpg

M1991 ORM Commander in Melonite by Miller Custom

Jason Burton
05-05-13, 16:27
My preference is a Colt Series 70 Reproduction if you're going to have some custom work done. I consider it to be the perfect base pistol for a custom gun.

Me too... :)

Army Chief
05-05-13, 16:51
Me too... :)

For the who might not have immediately picked up on this, you basically just had Eddie Van Halen give you some guitar buying advice.

AC

Corse
05-05-13, 17:46
Would that make the Wiley Clapp guns a viable base gun, with some of the custom work already done?

Army Chief
05-05-13, 17:54
Generally speaking, a base gun should be as close to a standard model as possible, as upgraded models often come with features and fitting work that will compete with, or complicate the installation of, more desireable custom parts later on.

If you are just talking about having some light reliability work done, then it might be a more suitable choice, yes -- but only if you like the existing features of the gun, and have little interest in replacing/upgrading them.

AC

m1a_scoutguy
05-05-13, 21:02
Lots of good info for sure,,but I will agree with the buy a Colt & when I say that I say get a Colt Combat Elite !!! It is a Outstanding Pistol :),,I have had one for a few years now and getting close to 6K through it & its been a great pistol !! I have changed a couple things,,Tac/Extended mag release,,put on a flared mag-well,,but nothing serious,,only internal fix is I had a buddy touch up the sear a bit,,that's it !! I say they are worth a close look !! Not sure if I saw it on here or over @ the 1911 Forum,,,the Colt Combat Elite is a "Combat Gun You Can Take To A Target Match & Its A Target Gun You Can Take To A Gun Fight" :D For what its worth I have bought a bunch of Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" parts just to have,,,but have not installed any of them yet & like I said,,I am getting alot of rds through this gun !! I guess someday it will need them,,but right now everything is runnin great !!!! :happy:

Bafflingbs
05-06-13, 15:35
If I had the money, I'd go for an Ed Brown. But I don't so I went with a Colt Commander Wiley Clapp. A very nice compromise in my book.

Corse
05-07-13, 08:15
The 70 series repos are pretty hard to find right now. I know is not a GI pattern, but the Talo concealed carry gov. looks pretty good, but is an 80 series

IZinterrogator
05-07-13, 08:33
The 70 series repos are pretty hard to find right now. I know is not a GI pattern, but the Talo concealed carry gov. looks pretty good, but is an 80 series

There's one on GB right now.

Corse
05-07-13, 08:38
I saw that one yesterday, but that is the only one I could find.

IZinterrogator
05-07-13, 10:51
I have a saved search alert for them. They pop up on GB once or twice a month, usually starting around $950.

Army Chief
05-07-13, 11:16
Not a bad choice by any means, though I find it interesting that some of the most highly-coveted full-house custom 1911s ever built came off of Larry Vickers' workbench, and if you study how they are configured, they are invariably missing most of the "essential" upgrades that seem to proliferate everywhere else. In other words, a basic, well-built 1911 with decent sights is more gun than most of us will ever be able to grow out of.

That's not an affront to those who just happen to like ball cuts, magwells, flat topping, French bordering, charcoal bluing, serrated everything or full-length guide rods; merely an observation that the best shooters don't seem to need any of these things to exact maximum performance from the design.

AC

Corse
05-07-13, 11:25
The only thing the concealed carry gov is missing for me is night sights and front strap checkering, but those things alone put it at almost the price of the Baer.

m1a_scoutguy
05-07-13, 11:48
Not a bad choice by any means, though I find it interesting that some of the most highly-coveted full-house custom 1911s ever built came off of Larry Vickers' workbench, and if you study how they are configured, they are invariably missing most of the "essential" upgrades that seem to proliferate everywhere else. In other words, a basic, well-built 1911 with decent sights is more gun than most of us will ever be able to grow out of.

That's not an affront to those who just happen to like ball cuts, magwells, flat topping, French bordering, charcoal bluing, serrated everything or full-length guide rods; merely an observation that the best shooters don't seem to need any of these things to exact maximum performance from the design.

AC

The only thing the concealed carry gov is missing for me is night sights and front strap checkering, but those things alone put it at almost the price of the Baer.

When it all comes down to it,that makes perfect sense AC,,like they say,,sometimes Less is More,,,LOL !!! And who would know better than LV !! I guess that's why I like the Combat Elite,,has everything ya need just about except for the front strap checkering & Nite sites,,but hey if its that dark ya need a flashlight anyways ;) !! But for me going against everything that is tacticool and frowned on by most Tac/Combat shooters,,I use & love the Houge wrap around rubber grips,,I have big hands so they fit and work perfect for me,,I guess that's all that matters,,LOL !!! Now because I am a cheap SOB,,I bought & installed the little front checkering piece that Wilson Combat sells,,its like $10 bucks,,,,I put that on my Springer Loaded & I must say it works pretty good,,again not as cool,,but its not $200 bucks either !!! :D

duece71
05-07-13, 20:18
Colt vote here. I have 3, a two tone SCG, a stainless series 80 and a two tone Combat Elite. I had a bad experience with Springfield but it may have been a isolated case.

beschatten
05-11-13, 17:04
Anybody have any experience with Colt's Custom Shop?

Their tactical package seems like a pretty good deal, almost too good to be true. But if SACS or other custom shops offer better work, I wouldn't mind choking up the extra dollars for better done work.

Blayglock
05-11-13, 17:26
Im not a fan of Colt 1911s in general, however, if you are going to upgrade it you can spec it out how you like.

hk_shootr
05-11-13, 17:26
Colt does good work,.....you will get better work for your money from SACS. They will work on non-Springer pistols as well.

I have a Springer that Joe Chambers tweaked for me, a Bone stock RRA, and a Nighthawk Custom on the way.

Corse
05-25-13, 22:17
So I went with the Les baer UTC, and to scratch the Colt itch a 38 super gov model. I was planning on sending the Colt back to the custom shop but they are not taking work, now I'm thinking about doing a 10-8 code 3 type gun instead, which wold hopefully solve th hammer bite issue.

Wake27
05-25-13, 22:51
I love my Rail Gun. I put night sights on it, a Wilson Bullet Proof Thumb Safety, and some VZ Grips and am very pleased. Hopefully in a few months it'll get several more Bullet Proof parts and maybe front strap checkering, but only because I want it to.

Corse
05-26-13, 07:46
I love the les baer so far (600 rds), Its super acurate and it has worn in nicely. The colt is nice, but the real reason I want it customized it that it tore up my hand pretty bad and I can't see shooting it in its current config. So, a mild custom or retro custom I think would be nice.