PDA

View Full Version : Looks like SGL-31's are back in stock

Nocalsocal
05-03-13, 22:52
Longtime lurker here and learned alot (used the search button before asking a tired old question) And now I'm posting for the first time.

Just a FYI, I received an email from KVAR that SGL-31's are back in stock. I straight traded my 31 for a 21 a couple years back and have been yearning for that low recoil and cheap 5.45 ever since.

Any bets on how long until they're sold out?

amadeus76
05-03-13, 23:54
KVAR hasn't moved their prices much in spite of the panic till now... It'll be interesting to see if $1200 is the new set price or not.

SteyrAUG
05-04-13, 22:11
KVAR hasn't moved their prices much in spite of the panic till now... It'll be interesting to see if $1200 is the new set price or not.

So glad I got mine when they were $700.

Moose-Knuckle
05-05-13, 02:51
Got that email flyer too, checked the link and did not see any folders. That is a lot for a standard stock Kalashnikov. Not to mention the price '74 mags these days.

Nocalsocal
05-05-13, 13:06
I've been looking for a quality non-custom folder as well. If they ever sell a AK-105 version, that'll be the next gun to hide from the wife.

drtywk
05-05-13, 13:34
Got that email flyer too, checked the link and did not see any folders. That is a lot for a standard stock Kalashnikov. Not to mention the price '74 mags these days.

K-Var will always take advantage of the situation or a panic. Last week they sent out their flyer with the Circle 10 mags and then raised the price of the 40 rounders by $11.

Hopefully, RAAC can get their stuff together so we don't have to worry about buying from K-Var. I talked to them at SHOT Show and they have a huge Izhmash parts order that they are expecting, to include mags, stock, hand guards, etc.

scottryan
05-05-13, 15:48
The days of factory $800 AKs are over.

Why is anyone surprised by this?

Given all the bullshit and how they have to be manufactured to meet import requirements, this would never last forever.

With another import ban on the horizon, this is your last chance.

A quality OEM assault rifle of any type for under $1000 is a thing of the past.

brushy bill
05-05-13, 22:10

Given all the bullshit and how they have to be manufactured to meet import requirements, this would never last forever.

If that is the case, why go with this over a BCM, Colt, et al

amadeus76
05-05-13, 22:53
Because...

1) AK's still beat out AR's in terms of reliability and (quality AK's) are suitable accurate battle rifles.

2) Some people have a personal preferance for AK's...

Nocalsocal
05-05-13, 23:44
Why go the AK route?

Because the AR platform isn't the only good defensive rifle that exists at that price.

Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into AR vs AK :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Tzintzuntzan
05-06-13, 00:37
Don't start this AK-AR pissing match again. That is annoying barfcom crap.

Also, why choose an AK that isn't in 7.62x39? With Hornady SST rounds there isn't a better general use AK, in my view.

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-13, 02:50

Oh I'm not surprised in the least, I bought my SLR-105 for $450 NIB at a gun show in 2006 and was buying boxes of unissued factory OEM brown circle 10 mags for under $5 a pop from Ohio Rapid Fire. I know a good thing when I see it and as you put it . . . nothing lasts forever.

scottryan
05-06-13, 07:51
If that is the case, why go with this over a BCM, Colt, et al

It can't be looked at from that perspective.

Any OEM assault rifle is going to cost you money no matter what type it is.

You have to look at what you are getting for the dollar.

Bret
05-06-13, 17:38
You could buy 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 Veprs for $575 delivered prior to the December panic. They cost more to manufacture than a regular AK74. Costs have not gone up that much. It's simply a short term supply and demand situation. SGL-31's are $800 rifles in my opinion and will be back there within a year.

Peshawar
05-06-13, 18:42
You could buy 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 Veprs for $575 delivered prior to the December panic. They cost more to manufacture than a regular AK74. Costs have not gone up that much. It's simply a short term supply and demand situation. SGL-31's are $800 rifles in my opinion and will be back there within a year.

While true, and this would also be the route I would take, just know that you'll need to install a bullet guide in the VEPR rifles in order to use military magazines. Some companies sell the rifles already modified, some don't.

scottryan
05-06-13, 18:57

Veprs are neutered sporting guns.

Bret
05-06-13, 19:27
While true, and this would also be the route I would take, just know that you'll need to install a bullet guide in the VEPR rifles in order to use military magazines. Some companies sell the rifles already modified, some don't.

Veprs are neutered sporting guns.
The conversion process isn't difficult, but I agree that some people don't want to go through the process themselves. Converted Veprs were available too.

Here's a 7.62x39 that I converted. It has a pistol grip and flash hider.
http://imageshack.us/a/img526/5724/vepr762x39rightview.jpg

Here are a couple of square back receiver Veprs that I will be converting. The top one is a 5.56x45 and the bottom is a 308Win. Note the throw away buttstocks that were included. There are threads and a real working front sight detent under their blind pinned muzzle nuts.
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/6566/squarebackveprs.jpg

I'd assume that the SGL-31's are good quality rifles, but I just don't see them being worth $1200. I've been buying AK's for over twenty years and have seen the prices rise and crash. I've done really well buying at the bottom and have not missed anything. If you have to have one now, then there's nothing wrong with spending your hard earned dollars on what you want. I'm just enough of a cheapo that I'll wait. Besides, I have several AK74 kits and receivers to build anyway.

scottryan
05-06-13, 19:35
The conversion process isn't difficult,

Yes it is if you want to get back to factory OEM Russian configuration.

Peshawar
05-07-13, 00:06
Yes it is if you want to get back to factory OEM Russian configuration.

What do you mean by this exactly? Are you referring to the method of installation of the bullet guide? In other words, using rivets vs. screws as people generally use to convert these rifles?

Bret
05-07-13, 09:11
What do you mean by this exactly?
I'm not speaking for scottryan, but getting a rifle to "OEM" configuration can be expensive or impossible depending on the rifle and exactly how far you're trying to take it. The bullet guide is a good example. At the factory they're added prior to the front trunnion being installed in the receiver and the front trunnion is precut to accept the bullet guide. In order to get this in exactly perfect OEM configuration, you'd have to press out the barrel pin, press out the barrel, drill out the front trunnion rivets, remove the front trunnion from the receiver... wait! You can't do that. The front trunnion and the receiver must always remain together because the ATF considers them as one. So much for that idea. I have seen some pretty amazing work from some AK gunsmiths, so there may be another method. However, their services are not cheap.

Untimately, I realize that I can't make any AK in to "OEM" configuration because full auto isn't allowed. So, I get as close as I can reasonably without going broke. Ideally, the Veprs would have bipods on the barrels because the OEM configuration is an RPK. Reality is that they produce several barrel lenghts for civillian sales that would never really exist in military configuration. For the Veprs, I'm happy with a rifle that is in a military looking pistol grip configuration with a flash hider.