PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Lightweight vs SBR?

SAAR
05-04-13, 19:00
I've got the opportunity to get either a Daniel Defense M4v5 standard or lightweight and looking for some advice on the right purchase.

I have a Colt 6920 MOE as my go to gun and I intend owning a SBR at some stage. So my questions is, would a lightweight barrelled rifle compliment an SBR or replace it?

Col_Crocs
05-04-13, 19:39
I wouldnt say replace it. Regulations aside, seeing as you already have a 6920, i'd even opt out on the dd and go straight to the sbr. In anycase, what type of restrictions and/or sbr process do you have where you are? I assume your ARs are in South Africa and not in London?

mhmills
05-04-13, 20:01
I just put a DDM4v5lw on a LMT lower, I love it, very light weight.

05-04-13, 20:53
The Colt is an excellent weapon so I would go SBR; a 6933, of course, with a DD Lite 9.5 FSP rail.

_Stormin_
05-04-13, 20:56
I wouldnt say replace it. Regulations aside, seeing as you already have a 6920, i'd even opt out on the dd and go straight to the sbr. In anycase, what type of restrictions and/or sbr process do you have where you are?

Pretty much this. If you have to Colt and love it, then go right for the SBR, especially if the process to acquire it is going to be a few months.

I assume your ARs are in South Africa and not in London?

Or he's the most well connected Londoner on the forum...

bluejackets92fs
05-04-13, 20:59
You need to ask yourself whether you want something light or something more maneuverable. May even use the SBR as your Go To and the 6920 as a backup.

Col_Crocs
05-05-13, 00:52
Or he's the most well connected Londoner on the forum...

In which case, acquiring an SBR would be a non-issue. :big_boss:

jpmuscle
05-05-13, 01:02
They have guns in London? balderdash...

SAAR
05-05-13, 02:08
To clear that up, while you can own AR's in the UK, they aren't allowed to be semi, unless you're very special, I'm not. I don't want a neutered rifle, so mine are in SA.

We're very limited in terms of what AR's are available (there are only 3 6920's in SA), but the market has really expanded over the last couple years. Saying that, there aren't many different SBR's, so it's likely to be a Sig or something from Europe. Barrel length in SA isn't regulated, neither are suppressors, currently, but licensing semi's are a PITA. I'm thinking along the lines of a suppressed 10" 516.

It looks like you guys are thinking the same way I am, that an SBR would largely replace the need for a LW DD.

In that case I could get the government profile DD V5 and set it up with a scope, for a longer range rifle, making use of DDs accuracy.

I'm only likely to have one chance of owning a DD rifle, so I need to make the right choice. I don't have the ability to handle them first, so it's a blind purchase.

Sorry for posting this type of thread, just looking for a steer in the right direction from those who have used / handled both.

Col_Crocs
05-05-13, 02:25
I'm only likely to have one chance of owning a DD rifle, so I need to make the right choice. I don't have the ability to handle them first, so it's a blind purchase.

I was thinking this was a possibility as well. I'd go ahead and get the DD if i were in your shoes and add an sbr down the road as a quality option becomes available.

duece71
05-05-13, 06:08
An SBR as a "straight pull" rifle??? Bahhumbug.

RogerinTPA
05-05-13, 09:38
I've got the opportunity to get either a Daniel Defense M4v5 standard or lightweight and looking for some advice on the right purchase.

I have a Colt 6920 MOE as my go to gun and I intend owning a SBR at some stage. So my questions is, would a lightweight barrelled rifle compliment an SBR or replace it?

I think it will compliment the SBR, but I would try to obtain and keep all three if you can. I own a 6920, a 14.5" DD M4v5LW with a permed 2.0 Battle Comp, and a DD MK18 SBR with 1.0 Battle Comp. All three have their strengths and weaknesses, but the MK18 shines in compactness and maneuverability whether in a CQB function at home or in and around vehicles. All three have been ultra reliable for me for range sessions as well as carbine courses, with the 6920 shot the most (18K+ rounds). If limited to a choice, the LW 14.5 DD M4v5 is a great compromise between the two.

Is purchasing & shipping AR type platforms from the U.S. allowed to SA?
As progun as SA appears to be, I'm surprised a few gun stores are not a international DD, Colt or BCM dealer, since Colts are sold there, or is that a ITAR violation?

midSCarolina
05-05-13, 12:34
SBRs have been used as a phase out for submachine guns in many ways. SBRs are more for portability and maneuverability and are less about saving weight. The shorter barrel typically translates into a lighter weapon but I don't think that was necessarily the intent. My LWRC PSD was actually fairly heavy for a 8" barrel. However, they can be used effectively from inside a vehicle or in tight areas in houses and that sort of shit. So to answer your question, the LW and SBR would be considered complimentary more than one replacing the other.

SAAR
05-05-13, 17:46
An SBR as a "straight pull" rifle??? Bahhumbug.

No, don't be silly, I wouldn't waste money on that. :D

I think it will compliment the SBR, but I would try to obtain and keep all three if you can. I own a 6920, a 14.5" DD M4v5LW with a permed 2.0 Battle Comp, and a DD MK18 SBR with 1.0 Battle Comp. All three have their strengths and weaknesses, but the MK18 shines in compactness and maneuverability whether in a CQB function at home or in and around vehicles. All three have been ultra reliable for me for range sessions as well as carbine courses, with the 6920 shot the most (18K+ rounds). If limited to a choice, the LW 14.5 DD M4v5 is a great compromise between the two.

Is purchasing & shipping AR type platforms from the U.S. allowed to SA?
As progun as SA appears to be, I'm surprised a few gun stores are not a international DD, Colt or BCM dealer, since Colts are sold there, or is that a ITAR violation?

Thanks RogerinTPA, I intend keeping the 6920, adding the DD now and the Sig SBR at a later date.

US AR's are very limited in SA, so when they come available, you have to move quickly. All are 16" and over, so the main SBR's we get are from Europe. There are ITAR restrictions, expensive permits and long delays, this puts most dealers off on both sides. That's before finding someone that will ship the cargo. Most don't bother, but we are grateful to those who persist.

SBRs have been used as a phase out for submachine guns in many ways. SBRs are more for portability and maneuverability and are less about saving weight. The shorter barrel typically translates into a lighter weapon but I don't think that was necessarily the intent. My LWRC PSD was actually fairly heavy for a 8" barrel. However, they can be used effectively from inside a vehicle or in tight areas in houses and that sort of shit. So to answer your question, the LW and SBR would be considered complimentary more than one replacing the other.

midSCarolina, you're right, I think the Sig SBR is heavier than the DD LW, but I assume the balance is better on the SBR, so you may not notice it.

I had thought that the LW rifles were gaining traction because of the SBR tax, something that I won't have to consider. If so, I'd have gone with the government profile and set it up as a type of SPR as it's likely to be the most accurate AR I'll get hold of.

As I say, it's a one off chance, so thanks to those that have replied. I'm leaning towards the LW as a good all round rifle.

Would it chance things if I said I also had a YHM-15 14.5" & Colt SP1 Carbine? Probably not ;)