PDA

View Full Version : SR15, how was it intended to be run/Why no ambi CH?

RadioActivity
05-04-13, 20:07
This might seem like a strange question, but with some ambi controls, but not others, I'm curious how the firearm was intended to be run.

For me, reloading with either hand I engage the bolt release with my support hand's thumb as it's already in place loading the magazine (lefty or righty). But, when it comes to addressing any sort of malfunction, I don't see how one addresses them in any quick manor like you would with a BAD lever or a LWRCI IC format receiver.

But...with the simple addition of an ambi charging handle, in my case a BCM A44, from either shoulder you can address malfunctions the same, and quickly. Drop the mag, rack the problem child round clear, insert a new mag the same as you would normally reload, charge the rifle. It seems like THE way to go about dealing with malfunctions for this format of rifle, but...how did KAC intend to run the rifle? center straddle the CH when dealing with malfunctions from the left shoulder?

So my question is, am I missing something? If KAC goes to the trouble to run an LMT CH, why not an ambi format CH that compliments the rifle so well?

Anyway, thoughts?

P2000
05-04-13, 20:14
Ambi charging handles that don't suck seem to be a new thing. Perhaps in the future, SR-15s may come with that feature. They are also easily installed by the end user.

I'm still waiting for my SR-15 to malfunction once. Hasn't happened yet...

Army Chief
05-04-13, 21:52
P2000 called it correctly.

For a long time, ambi CH meant "oversized latch," and not a whole lot more. Yes, there were a few true ambi parts on the market, but none were really deemed robust enough to seriously consider for hard-use on a service-grade rifle. I believe we are past that point now, and personally have an affinity for the Rainer Arms/AXTS Raptor, but as stated, this is a very easy retrofit.

AC

obucina
05-04-13, 22:06
P2000 called it correctly.

For a long time, ambi CH meant "oversized latch," and not a whole lot more. Yes, there were a few true ambi parts on the market, but none were really deemed robust enough to seriously consider for hard-use on a service-grade rifle. I believe we are past that point now, and personally have an affinity for the Rainer Arms/AXTS Raptor, but as stated, this is a very easy retrofit.

AC

do you like the Raptor over the BCM ambi CH?

The Raptor may be an upgrade to my Mod1 sometime soon. I swapped out the standard latch that KAC puts on their guns in favor of a Gunfighter mod4 I had in my parts can, but pulled it off as I left as though the KAC latch just felt better.

Voodoo_Man
05-04-13, 22:43
I have a raptor on my sr15.

Works well no issues.

Army Chief
05-05-13, 07:38

Honest answer? I don't know, as I do not own a BCM ambi. I do know, however, that the Raptor strikes me as superior in design and basic operation to anything I've seen or used previously. I hold Bravo Company in high regard, and appreciate their innovation; that said, I simply have had no reason to look any further.

AC

jonconsiglio
05-05-13, 20:19
Looking at it as a right handed shooter and a previous owner of two SR15's. If I'm doing anything support side, it's going to be quick. I get the arguments for it, but when you ask even the current trainers that were at the tip of the spear, almost none have ever used it in combat.

Assuming switching shoulders is rarely done, I'd certainly not clear malfunctions support side.

I get the idea of training for it. For me, I like to train supper side as it also helps my primary side in a way. But, I just don't see this as very realistic in a fight.

As for the Bad Lever.... Just search my started threads to see what can go wrong with one. It broke and caused my bolt to lock back every couple rounds. Pics included.

With all that out of the way. The Raptor is nice and seems to be built well. But it's expensive. I've not handled the BCM though I use a lot of their products and wouldn't hesitate to go with their Ambi CH.

Edit - understand I'm not disregarding the idea and I get how important this is for a lefty. After spending a year or two really focusing on this stuff, I started to research to see how viable it was. I think there's even a thread about it where those using a rifle in their line of work were polled and other than covering someone from a right hand corner, there were no examples of switching shoulders.

Cylinder Head
05-05-13, 22:44
I have a raptor on my sr15.

Works well no issues.

Same, works great.

VIP3R 237
05-05-13, 23:01

The Raptor may be an upgrade to my Mod1 sometime soon. I swapped out the standard latch that KAC puts on their guns in favor of a Gunfighter mod4 I had in my parts can, but pulled it off as I left as though the KAC latch just felt better.

I own both and I prefer the Raptor design.

The SR15 comes stock with the LMT Charging Handle IIRC.

jbo723
05-06-13, 12:37
Honest answer? I don't know, as I do not own a BCM ambi. I do know, however, that the Raptor strikes me as superior in design and basic operation to anything I've seen or used previously. I hold Bravo Company in high regard, and appreciate their innovation; that said, I simply have had no reason to look any further.

AC

Being a lefty, the Raptor CH is probably one of the best upgrades I've ever used on my AR's. Add that to the SR15, which is just about fully ambidextrous, I personally feel I have found the perfect set up for myself.

I do keep a couple of my rifles in standard configurations to train with just in case.

Voodoo_Man
05-06-13, 19:58
This thread needs pix.

http://i.imgur.com/Uk8Bt.jpg