PDA

View Full Version : Free Float Barrel? How to tell.

MudPuppy
05-04-13, 20:30
I just picked up and Previously owned AR, that looks decked out, but I don't know anything about it.

How can I tell if it has a free float Barrel or not?

Upper has Keyhole as Forge Marking.

Quad Rail is Yankee Hill

Barrel Marked in caliber and twist 5.56, 1 in 8.

Strange looking flash hider

Spikes Lower

Trying To Identify each part.

I don't know how to tell if the barrel is a free float (Which I doubt)

steyrman13
05-04-13, 20:35
It is free float, that is just a screw in piece on the end of the tube (like a dust cover). The flash hider, not sure which brand but is usually called a vortex flash hider(looks like the HK vortex),

rjacobs
05-04-13, 20:45
So you bought a gun with no clue what was on it and then after fact want to figure out what you have?

I guess I dont get doing something like that.

I got a buddy that does that. He buys stuff and then asks me if he got a good deal and what I think about what he bought. I tell him it doesnt matter what I think or if I think he got a good deal because he already owns it.

Iraqgunz
05-04-13, 20:56
Post a picture of the rail. You could also go to YHM's website and look a their rails. The upper you have is more than likely a YHM complete upper. They are mediocre, but since you own it you can't do anything more than shoot it and be happy or sell it.

I just picked up and Previously owned AR, that looks decked out, but I don't know anything about it.

How can I tell if it has a free float Barrel or not?

Upper has Keyhole as Forge Marking.

Quad Rail is Yankee Hill

Barrel Marked in caliber and twist 5.56, 1 in 8.

Strange looking flash hider

Spikes Lower

Trying To Identify each part.

I don't know how to tell if the barrel is a free float (Which I doubt)

freefly
05-04-13, 20:59
As mentioned, your set-up is free-float. The term "free float rail" just means that it does not contact the barrel in any way, forward of the receiver/barrel nut. The theory is that a free-floating barrel will be more accurate, with no other forces being imparted on it during the firing cycle (affecting barrel harmonics, etc.). In reality, it is pretty much a non-issue on a heavy/gov't profile 16" AR15 (in my opinion)...

Oh, and yes, that appears to be a Smith Vortex flash-hider. ;)

MudPuppy
05-04-13, 21:07
So you bought a gun with no clue what was on it and then after fact want to figure out what you have?

I guess I dont get doing something like that.

I got a buddy that does that. He buys stuff and then asks me if he got a good deal and what I think about what he bought. I tell him it doesnt matter what I think or if I think he got a good deal because he already owns it.

I guess I misstated the "I Bought" thing. Someone gave me a membership to something I was already a lifetime member of.
I traded the membership for the AR I didn't need, but it never hurts to have 3 instead of 2.

So it cost me nothing, and it had full magpul furniture, a Yankee quad, and a spikes lower. What was I to do. Say no?

MudPuppy
05-04-13, 22:26
Here are some more pictures. I took off the XTM Rails for some of them

rjacobs
05-04-13, 23:14
I guess I misstated the "I Bought" thing. Someone gave me a membership to something I was already a lifetime member of.
I traded the membership for the AR I didn't need, but it never hurts to have 3 instead of 2.

So it cost me nothing, and it had full magpul furniture, a Yankee quad, and a spikes lower. What was I to do. Say no?

than you did ok.

I didnt mean to come off harsh, but there are just WAY to many posts on here of "I bought this gun that I have no clue what it is, did I do ok?" and generally its a giant piece of crap and then the person is pissed. Like I said I have a buddy that does this with me and then he doesnt like my answers, but he, for some reason, refuses to call me before he makes the purchase.

If it was basically free than you could turn and sell it and make some cash or trade it for a gun that is more what you want.

MudPuppy
05-05-13, 00:07
That's just it. I want to know what everything is, so I don't misrepresent it in a sale.

Plus if I can add a few little things, to increase its over all value or make it more desireable to people who know what they are looking for.

Iraqgunz
05-05-13, 00:45
That's a YHM upper with their Diamond series rail or something. They are mediocre but if you are happy then rock out with your upper out.

cthompson36
05-05-13, 12:08
as long as you aren't going to war that upper will serve you fine. shoot it and be happy