PDA

View Full Version : Del-ton parts?

Courtab82
05-04-13, 21:45
I was told over the phone the other day by a gun manufacturer in Texas that almost every AR on the market has at least one part or another that comes directly from Del-ton or another "Del-ton-esque" caliber manufacturer (can't remember the name). He included rifles made by Larue and Noveske, among other well known and respected manufacturers. I know that many parts are contracted out, but Del-ton? Any truth to this?

Delta_Elite
05-04-13, 22:03
I know my Noveske has no Delton parts in it, I built it that way on purpose.

bluejackets92fs
05-04-13, 22:07
False statement. Very few top tier manufacturers out source their parts.

BCM and DD make BCG's and barrels for one another during busy times if need be but that is about it.

Split66
05-04-13, 22:12
Who told you that? They need a swift kick to the dick.

uncle money bags
05-04-13, 22:36
Care to let us in on the manufacturers name?

Sry0fcr
05-04-13, 22:51
The statement was probably a half truth but just because Del-Ton doesn't make higher end stuff doesn't mean that they can't. They'll deliver what the contract requires.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Courtab82
05-04-13, 23:07
The statement was probably a half truth but just because Del-Ton doesn't make higher end stuff doesn't mean that they can't. They'll deliver what the contract requires.

This is what I was thinking as well, just hadn't heard that they are someone used for that.

Courtab82
05-04-13, 23:12
Care to let us in on the manufacturers name?

Not inclined to say so, as it was just an employee, not the owner. He was generally a dick anyways and said milspec didn't mean anything and gets pissed off when people ask about it (which was what I called to ask about :rolleyes: ). I guess I would classify them as more of a rifle builder than a manufacturer, if there is much of a difference the way things are advertised these days.

AKDoug
05-04-13, 23:16
False statement. Very few top tier manufacturers out source their parts.

BCM and DD make BCG's and barrels for one another during busy times if need be but that is about it.

Also false. BCM makes no barrels, they contract them out. DD does make their own barrels and BCM will sell them on their website. Neither make their own lower parts kits or bolt carriers. I have found identical stampings on DD and Palmetto hammers in LPK's, so I know they are sourcing them from somewhere the same.

jdm
05-04-13, 23:39
Also false. BCM makes no barrels, they contract them out. DD does make their own barrels and BCM will sell them on their website. Neither make their own lower parts kits or bolt carriers. I have found identical stampings on DD and Palmetto hammers in LPK's, so I know they are sourcing them from somewhere the same.

I didn't know about the lower parts kits but I have always thought that DD and BCM made their own BCG's.

Iraqgunz
05-05-13, 00:49
Lots of bad info here. Del-ton is crap. Be aware that many small parts all come from a handful of the same companies.

BCM stuff is legit and everyone knows the barrels are FN. DD makes their barrels in house (hammer forging) and I believe that the BCG's are also machined in house as well.

bluejackets92fs
05-05-13, 02:27

Ok so I'm wrong on the barrel aspect but the BCG is confirmed by Matt at DD from a conversation I had with him in December. He said that if DD gets behind on BCG's they will contact BCM for some. Maybe what he meant by that was getting some unmarked BCG's so DD can brand them and use in their rifles. Also other way around.

AKDoug
05-05-13, 02:54
I do find it funny that my two DD bolts, bought within weeks of each other last year, were marked differently. You'd think if they were made inhouse they would be marked identically. One is unmarked and one is marked MP. Both were in DD laser etched carriers from a reliable source.

It doesn't matter to me. Daniel Defense and BCM make some of the best rifles out there. I don't believe that making all the parts inhouse somehow makes a rifle better. As long as the quality control practices are in place, you will get high quality like BCM produces.

Iraqgunz
05-05-13, 03:18
BCM doesn't make BCG's. They are sourced from vendors with gov't contracts. They specify that they must be HP/MPI tested and they are checked 100% and test fired. In addition they are outfitted with the BCM extractor spring assembly and then laser marked.

Ok so I'm wrong on the barrel aspect but the BCG is confirmed by Matt at DD from a conversation I had with him in December. He said that if DD gets behind on BCG's they will contact BCM for some. Maybe what he meant by that was getting some unmarked BCG's so DD can brand them and use in their rifles. Also other way around.

bluejackets92fs
05-05-13, 03:21
BCM doesn't make BCG's. They are sourced from vendors with gov't contracts. They specify that they must be HP/MPI tested and they are checked 100% and test fired. In addition they are outfitted with the BCM extractor spring assembly and then laser marked.

I realize my info was incorrect about the MFG side.

BufordTJustice
05-05-13, 03:47
Lots of bad info here. Del-ton is crap. Be aware that many small parts all come from a handful of the same companies.

BCM stuff is legit and everyone knows the barrels are FN. DD makes their barrels in house (hammer forging) and I believe that the BCG's are also machined in house as well.

I have heard that the BCM BFH hammer forged barrels were FN-made...but are BCM non BFH barrels also FN-made?

uwe1
05-05-13, 05:19
I realize my info was incorrect about the MFG side.

Just to clarify a bit more... Most of the AR producing companies do outsource their parts (barrels, upper receivers, lower receivers, BCGs, LPKs, FCGs, etc.).

However, as Iraqgunz said, BCM, and other top tier companies are using vendors with government contracts. These parts they purchase are specified to have certain characteristics most likely found in the TDP. The next very important step is that the received parts are inspected (dimensions, test firing etc.). Parts that don't meet the standards are rejected.

Contrast this with your lower tier companies, that don't consistently use high quality parts, probably do very little inspection, have little to no reject rate so defective parts make their way into rifles, and don't function check the guns they send out.

You're much more likely to get a gun that works (well) from a top tier company.