PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring quotes.

Robb Jensen
07-12-06, 04:42
I find these quotes inspiring for my training/competition shooting especially the ones in bold.

1. Do not think dishonestly.
2. The Way is in training.
3. Become aquainted with every art.
4. Know the Ways of all professions.
5. Distingquish between gain and loss in worldly matters.
6. Develop intuitive judgement and understanding for everything.
7. Perceive those things which cannot be seen.
8. Pay attention even to trifles.
9. Do nothing which is of no use. ------Miyamoto Musashi (The Ground Book, A Book of Five Rings)

MaceWindu
07-12-06, 10:15
Words of Wisdom...

"If you have a strong enough why you can bear almost any how"
--Nietzshe

"circumstances do not make a man, they reveal him."
--James Allan

"I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, I love only that which they defend."
- Faramir / Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

“…the right to own and carry guns is clear. The Constitution says so. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged. Keep means own and bear means carry and there’s no other way to look at it, and the courts that feel differently are the same courts that once said black people were property.”
- Bob Lonsberry

"You know why there's a second amendment? In case the government doesn't obey the first one."
- Rush Limbaugh

"The only honorable response to violence is counterviolence"

"Experience is what you get instead of getting what you wanted."

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once."

"Anybody who speaks badly of revenge ain't never lost nothing important"
--James Crumley

"Liberty means responsibility, that is why most men dread it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"one should forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged"
--Heinrich Heine

"A teacher is never a giver of truth---he is a guide, a pointer to the thruth that each student must find for himself. A good teacher is merely a catalyst."

--Bruce Lee

"Old age and Treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time." -Michael Harries

"When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." -Chief Tecumseh

PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEFULLY IN THIER BED'S AT NIGHT ONLY, BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THIER BEHALF....G.ORWELL

BravoCompanyUSA
07-12-06, 12:51
All great change in America begins at the dinner table.

Ronald Reagan

Dave Berryhill
07-12-06, 13:14
Words of Wisdom...

"The only honorable response to violence is counterviolence"

My corollary to that:
"The only thing a bully understands is a good ass-whuppin'!"

Submariner
07-12-06, 15:56
"We're in America and we're shooting guns. Not much better than that." Patrick A. Rogers

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 12:17
Bump....let here some more! :D

Buck
01-06-08, 12:35
"Nuts!!!"

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 12:37
"Nuts!!!"

Gen. Patton?

Buck
01-06-08, 12:47
Message sent to the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne:

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours' term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

Reply sent to the German Commander:

NUTS!!!

General Anthony McAuliffe

Bolt_Overide
01-06-08, 13:16
Gen. Patton?

BG General McAuliffe, acting commander 101st ABN, in response to a german commander, which was Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt if memory serves correctly, request that the american forces at bastonge surrender.

that same day, general McAuliffe also coined the phrase "we're surrounded, ok that makes things simpler" from that came "we're airborne, we're supposed to be surrounded".

rhino
01-06-08, 13:59
"If I only did things that I was good at doing, I'd be limited to watching television and running my mouth."

-- Me on 29-APR-2006

(during a conversation why people won't do or try activities if they don't think they can "win" or be "the best")

RogerinTPA
01-06-08, 19:06
An oldie but a goody:

"There are people that make things happen and people that wonder what happened. Don't be in the latter category."

FYI: George Orwell's actual quote is :

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."

The_Biased_Observer
01-06-08, 19:19
Timely disbursements to prepare for danger frequently prevent much greater disbursement to repel it.

tinman44
01-06-08, 19:26
my favorites:

“I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.” Clint Eastwood

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” Albert Einstein

those two from Albert I remembered and found here http://www.famousquotes.com/search.php?search=Einstein&field=LastName&paint=0 with about 229 others.

oh and the two in my signature, but I know not who said those.

pearson
01-06-08, 19:36
Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

i like this one

tinman44
01-06-08, 19:36
“There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.” George Washington

“Let your heart feel for the affliction and distress of everyone.” George Washington

“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” George Washington

I know I got carried away, I enjoy reading quotes

9x19
01-06-08, 20:12
...oh and the two in my signature, but I know not who said those.

The one quote is by Patrick Henry. I looked it up to be sure. Famous Quotes has the following: Patrick Henry - “The gentlemen may cry, Peace, peace! But there is no peace. The war has actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that the gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

And the one attributed to him that I saw right below it is: Patrick Henry - “The great object is that every man be armed.” Perfect for this site!

SeriousStudent
01-06-08, 21:21
Gen. Patton?

I loved the line from the movie "Patton." They tell LtGen Patton that Bastogne is surrounded, and BGen McAuliffe has replied with "Nuts!"

Patton smiles and says "A man that eloquent must be saved." :D

Joe Mamma
01-06-08, 22:05
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win." - Unknown

"Winners do what losers aren't willing to do." - Unknown

"Effort equals results." - Roger Penske

"A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

Joe Mamma

R1pper
01-06-08, 23:20
Life is what happens while you are makeing other plans - The Movie "Kuffs"

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all- Futurama

LawDog
01-07-08, 02:26
I have been trying to find out who said this so if anyone can help out let me know...." If you knew you would fight for your life tomorrow would you change the way you train today"?

tinman44
01-07-08, 14:53
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

thanks for reminding me of that quote 9x19, my dad used to say that anytime i said something stupid.

Joe Mamma
01-08-08, 10:17
Here's another one I was just reminded of:

"In theory, there is no difference between reality and theory. In reality, there is."

Joe Mamma

R1pper
01-09-08, 13:46
http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.aspx?key=CD36AA5201A32718

5POINT56
01-11-08, 09:57
http://www.freewebs.com/spitfire34/Shughart%20and%20Gordon.jpg
http://veterans.senate.gov/press_images/Medal_of_Honor.jpg

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a creed and memorize a creed, but to live by a creed."

-Stephanie Shughart

Failure2Stop
01-11-08, 10:41
If it isn't dead, you didn't kill it.

-Anonymous instructor

Low Drag
01-11-08, 22:09
A few of my favorites:

Civility is not a sign of weakness.
JFK

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective. Unknown.

“Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Herbert Spencer (1891)

Not really a quote but I really like it:
A lady once stated to Winston Churchill, "Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your tea." He replied, "Maam, if I were your husband, I would drink that tea."

Robb Jensen
01-11-08, 22:17
A few of my favorites:

Civility is not a sign of weakness.
JFK

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective. Unknown.

“Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Herbert Spencer (1891)

Not really a quote but I really like it:
A lady once stated to Winston Churchill, "Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your tea." He replied, "Maam, if I were your husband, I would drink that tea."

It think that one was Ted Nugent.

FJB
01-12-08, 03:09
Message sent to the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne:

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours' term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

Reply sent to the German Commander:

NUTS!!!

I was told, but not sure if it was ever verified, that McAuliffe's actual response was "F.U." but the U.S. media couldn't print that response, thus they used "Nuts!"

Anyone heard the same and can verify that?

S/F

KintlaLake
01-12-08, 05:16
I was told, but not sure if it was ever verified, that McAuliffe's actual response was "F.U." but the U.S. media couldn't print that response, thus they used "Nuts!"

Anyone heard the same and can verify that?

S/F

In an interview ten years later, Gen. McAuliffe reportedly admitted to having said "sh!t."

One account, told by Lt. Gen. Harry Kinnard, claims that McAuliffe's immediate reaction to the German commander's message was, "Us surrender? Aw, nuts!" Kinnard reportedly suggested that would be the proper written response. The American messenger, a Col. Harper, is said to have told the Germans that "nuts" is the equivalent of "Go to Hell."

Now I wonder if Leonidas actually said, "τρελλός!"

;)

wicked_police
01-14-08, 19:47
A couple good ones from one of my instructors in Blackwater last summer.

"Bullets in a gunfight are like quarters at an arcade, the more you have, the longer you can play."

"Misses are sound effects on the battlefield."

TheGhostRider
01-15-08, 21:01
Resurrected........:D

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=530

ToddG
01-15-08, 21:23
Fear is the mindkiller. -- Frank Herbert, Dune

One thought driven home is better than three left on base. -- James Liter

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. -- John Holschen, USA SF Ret., InSights Training Center

The best cover is often multiple rapid hits on the guy trying to shoot you. -- Ernest Langdon

Pecavvi. -- Sir Charles Napier, upon taking the province of Sindh ("pecavvi" is Latin for "I have sinned.")

Don't be so superstitious. Bad things always happen to superstitious people. -- Martin Green (my grandfather)

If it's not perfect, make it better. -- Edward Green (my father)

Unity is strength, knowledge is power, and attitude is everything! -- The LIVESTRONG motto

RogerinTPA
01-25-08, 16:41
"You, you and you, Panic! The rest of you, come with me!"

Unknown Marine Gunnery Sargent.

HolyRoller
01-25-08, 19:30
"Hey Gunny, how many hordes in a Chinese platoon?" Unknown Marine, Chosin Reservoir

"Pilot, ahhhh, unable your last, I just shot off our antenna." Radioman of IJN Hiryu's torpedo squadron CO Lt. Hirata Matsumura, after being told to report his attempted shootdown of a B-17 over Pearl Harbor, 07 Dec 1941

"I am stupider just for having heard that!" 1/Sgt McVicker, NC State Highway Patrol (ret.), quite often throughout basic law enforcement training

"Say, L-T, do you MEAN to be loading that 9-mil with .380s?" Me, trying to nicely prevent him from looking bad

"F***! F***! F***!" Me, after seeing shots outside the 5-zone at rifle qual last time. I am only allowed to say this word about 4 times a year so I need to shoot better.

Which reminds me, once on the History Channel WW2 board, I had a (mostly plagiarized) list of "What They REALLY Said" which invariably involves the same word. The classic example is:

"What the **** was that?" Mayor of Hiroshima, 06 Aug 1945

Some others:

"**** Hitler, we have the Maginot Line." Field Marshal Henri Petain, 09 May 1940

"**** Hitler, we'll just flood the place." Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, 09 May 1940

"**** all that snow, we're taking Moscow." Adolf Hitler, sometime in late 1941

"Montgomery? Who the **** is that?" Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, July 1942

"**** the Italians, who needs them anyway." Adolf Hitler, 08 Sep 1943

"Exactly as I foretold, man, that sure was the LONGest ****ing day ever." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 07 June 1944

"Here's the bomb, Stauffenberg, and don't **** it up." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 19 July 1944

"Well, he ****ed it up." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 21 July 1944

"Hey, **** 'em if they can't take a joke." The German commander, later on 22 Dec 1944

"Who the **** talked me into all this, anyway?" Adolf Hitler, 02 May 1945

I'm sure you can come up with more on your own.

John_Wayne777
01-25-08, 20:10
JW777 talking to himself out of frustration during the low light class: "I can't see a darn thing...."

Ken Hackathorn responds: "No sh*t. That's why it's called low light training. Now get in there."

Joe R.
01-25-08, 20:18
JW777 talking to himself out of frustration during the low light class: "I can't see a darn thing...."

Ken Hackathorn responds: "No sh*t. That's why it's called low light training. Now get in there."

LOL! Well now I know who got that response I overheard while I was on the catwalk.

John_Wayne777
01-25-08, 20:32
LOL! Well now I know who got that response I overheard while I was on the catwalk.

That actually happened the first night when we went through the barrel shoothouse. By the time we got to the shoothouse back in the sticks I had switched to a weapon with working sights. :D

Thankfully I got all my window licking done on the first night of the course.

Joe R.
01-25-08, 22:29
Well in that case at least you know you wern't the only one who made that observation! ;)

Don Robison
01-25-08, 22:39
None of us is as stupid as all of us. Me on several occasions in planning cells.

A62Rambler
01-26-08, 15:06
I found this one and like it.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States...Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America." -gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789

pearson
01-26-08, 17:56
“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

Benjamin Franklin

K_Picatinny
01-26-08, 18:18
I really like some of Jeff Cooper's....

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."

Doc Solo
01-27-08, 16:09
These are ones I keep close to heart, that and the one by Tecumseh posted earlier, about living your life in such a way that when the final moments come you die well, and sing your death song like a warrior going home. I try to keep this fresh in my mind so that I won't do something cowardly when in dangerous places. Dr. Paul Whitesell in a speech said something similar, I don't remember it exactly, but the gist was not to have such an all-consuming fear of death that you would live life dishonorably.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller

I have named the destroyers of nations: comfort, plenty, and security - out of which grow a bored and slothful cynicism, in which rebellion against the world as it is, and myself as I am, are submerged in listless self-satisfaction.
John Steinbeck

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams

We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
Sterling Hayden

Robb Jensen
02-28-08, 15:58
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."--Einstein

NoBody
02-28-08, 19:43
"If you can't swim it, jump it, hump it or shoot it, you don't need it." -- Old Force Recon Adage

Dozer
04-03-08, 22:18
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders:

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

Striker5
04-04-08, 07:14
It is men who give lustre to titles, and not titles to men.
-machiavelli

I am a redneck myself, born and bred on a submarginal farm in Appalachia, descended from an endless line of dark-complected, lug-eared, beetle-browed, insolent barabarian peasants, a line reaching back to the dark forests of central Europe and the Alpine caves of my neanderthal primogenitors.
-"In Defense of the Redneck", Edward Abbey

warpigM-4
04-04-08, 09:06
"Time has a way of taking Time" Dave mustaine

"who is the fool? the fool or the fool who follows the fool" Obe wan knobi

from basic "there are 2 ways to leave Fort Knox !Graduate or die! your choice"Drill Sgt Belcher

"why does the easter bunny gives eggs???He is not a chicken" Lily (My little girl) I was lost for words on that one

Sidewinder6
04-04-08, 16:34
Gen. Patton?

cobra90gt
04-04-08, 16:55
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become one himself."

Nietzsche

04-05-08, 00:12
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RyanB
04-05-08, 00:59
INVICTUS

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

WILLIAM E. HENLEY

Gutshot John
04-05-08, 10:45
We all think we can choose when a choice comes, but our choice is really made not at that moment, but by your life until then. You choose according to that which you have chosen a hundred times before. Your destiny is not not that which you will do, but that which you have done. Your future lies behind you, in your past.
- E.F. Benson

RogerinTPA
04-05-08, 11:39
"Sir, a hard D&%K has no conscious!" My old 1SG's reply, when discussing how one of my soldier's could get a gal soooo ugly pregnant.:p

tjhjunk
04-05-08, 12:02
With clinched fists and a mean snarl he declared, " Alright you big'ins line up and you little'ins pair off.

blackscot
04-09-08, 07:05
The whole of the earth is the tomb of heroic men.
Their story given not only on the stone over their clay,
but abiding everywhere, without visible symbol,
and woven into the stuff of other mens lives.
--Pericles, Athens, ca. 495 – 429 BC

Nathan_Bell
04-09-08, 12:24
"Did that hurt? Good, it should have 'cause it was stupid" my Dad

"Being a smart ass doesn't mean you aren't a dumb ass" unknown, used at a shop I worked at in college.

Wayne Dobbs
04-09-08, 13:37
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

To set the cause above renown,
To love the game beyond the prize,
To honor, as you strike him down
The foe that comes with fearless eyes;

To count the life of battle good,
And dear the land that gave you birth,
And dearer still the brotherhood
That binds the brave to all the earth.

Henry Newboldt

The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men. - Samuel Adams.

RNGRPOPO
04-11-08, 08:10
"Those that shit on other shall get shit on with vengence"
unknown

Harley Dave
04-12-08, 00:30
You life, liberty and property are not safe when the legislature is in session. M. Twain

And now I'd have to include my signature line.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final! You need to learn to be slow in a hurry. Wyatt Earp

Robb Jensen
06-04-08, 07:23
In the cultivation of our mind, the emphasis should not be on concentration,
but on attention. Concentration is a process of forcing the mind to narrow
down to a point, whereas attention is without frontiers.

The difficulty is that we do not see, we do not listen, we do not perceive
things directly and simply as they are.

Life is a movement, an endless movement. To inquire into this extraordinary
thing called life one must ask fundamental questions and never be satisfied
with answers, no matter how satisfactory they may be. Because the moment you
have an answer, the mind has concluded, and conclusion is not life - it is
merely a static state.

Sorrow is the shadow of desire.

An ideal is the opposite of what is.

Thought, being fragmentary, is not capable of understanding what is actually
happening in the present.

-Krishnamurti

Gutshot John
06-04-08, 11:37
Who would be wise must also suffer.
And even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart.
In our own respite and against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.
- Aeschylus

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
Proverbs 17:28

Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - PJ O'Rourke

johnson601
09-05-08, 14:25
Dont think this one is up yet,

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
-Ernest Hemingway

Knownot
09-05-08, 14:48
"Procrastination is like masturbation. It seems like a good idea at the time, but in the end you are only screwing yourself." ---Unknown

citizensoldier16
09-07-08, 23:14
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald W. Reagan

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation." ~Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"When dark evil strides across the land, and even noble hearts shrink in fear, there are always a few warriors of pure spirit who take up the sword and stand their ground." ~Blackwater USA

From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots. ~Thomas Jefferson

mattjmcd
09-08-08, 19:59
"Can't talk, gotta shoot!"- Col. "Bud" Anderson ( a famous radio call of his, broadcast while downing an ME109)

30 cal slut
09-08-08, 21:07
"My work is a reflection of myself."

4thHorseman
12-27-08, 20:52
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

4thHorseman
12-27-08, 20:53
"Dieing is easy. It's living that's hard."
Josey Wales

AwaySooner
12-27-08, 21:45
Very fitting for our current time.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson

zippygaloo
12-27-08, 22:06
Learn to do good
-Isaiah

CMFG
12-27-08, 22:47
"All men see these tactics whereby I conquer; what none see is the strategy from which victory is evolved."

-Sun Tzu

Jager
12-28-08, 00:18
The people will always attempt to find the positive aspects of all circumstances, which, in themselves are not susceptible to danger. - Joseph Stalin

Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. - Mark Twain

The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear. - Heinrich Himmler

Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Better pointed bullets than pointed speeches. - Prince Otto von Bismarck

lalakai
12-28-08, 02:04
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

"The difference between combat and sports, is that you bury the one who comes in second"...................Navy Seal

m1A
12-28-08, 15:04
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefullness depends upon the character of the user." -Theodore Roosevelt

warpigM-4
12-28-08, 15:11
"who is the fool? the fool or the fool that follows the fool?"=Obi Wan

Bat Guano
12-28-08, 22:02
The Edmund Burke quote, "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing", is on a plaque in the middle of the very small town of Antelope, Oregon--put there in 1985. And thereby hangs a tale.

The moral being that bad things CAN come to you.

Somewhere around the same time my young son came to me and said that his school homework assignment (like this thread) was to come up with an inspiring quote to share with the class. So I gave him the classic, "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." :p He said that when he offered it up, it got real quiet in the classroom and the teacher coughed and had to clear her throat. Guess it wasn't all that PC... :D

Leprechaun
01-04-09, 20:00
He is one I didn't understand at the time but now the man looks like a genius

"The older you get the smarter you father gets"- By my grandfather passed down to me by my Dad who told it to me

stifled
02-12-11, 23:53
"The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms or other types of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues, and tends to permit uprising."
-Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun, 1558

More of a second amendment quote, but what's with the honest leader? Banned because they make collecting taxes and keeping the people in check difficult, not because they are dangerous.

RancidSumo
02-13-11, 01:26
You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity

An armed society is a polite society

Life is short, but the years are long

There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk "his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor" on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else.

Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier.

You live and learn. Or you don't live long.

-Heinlein

You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass.

- Frank Sinatra

I have come here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute of my life.... It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

-Ayn Rand through Howard Roark

Hmac
02-13-11, 05:18
When I was a kid I once told my dad that we I thought our family was lucky to be financially secure. He paraphrased Benjamin Franklin and said "Yes. And the harder I work, the luckier we get".

Hmac
02-13-11, 05:33
One of my favorites...

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

--Theodore Roosevelt

boggyboy72
02-13-11, 12:04
I can't define a hero.

All I can tell You is that it's probably someone You don't notice,But when You find out what They did and how modestly They did it,You can never shake off the feeling that You're cut from a lesser cloth,and You find that braggarts suddenly offend You a great deal more than usual.

Karen Traviss

If You don't have a few fouls called on You at the end of the game You weren't playing hard.

My Dad

montanadave
02-13-11, 12:22
"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine"-- Jeff Spicoli

"I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames"-- Jim Morrison

And an oldy but a goody:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"-- Winston Churchill

:laugh:

Alex V
02-14-11, 09:07
"Your 'best'? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen."
~John Mason [Sean Connery - The Rock]

LOL

Always inspires me to win lol.

Magic_Salad0892
02-15-11, 05:46
I do not wish for an easier life. I wish to be a stronger man.

I think John Kennedy said that.

Each man under my command, carries debit. Each man under my command owes me ONE HUNDRED NAZI SCALPS. AND I WANT MY SCALPS.

- Aldo Reine - ''Aldo the Apache''.

(Brad Pitt, ''Ingrourious Basterds'')

People should not be afraid of their government. A government should be afraid of their people.

- V

(Hugo Weaving, ''V for Vendetta'')